PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles

chathamf
02-05-2014, 11:32 AM
I am currently planning a Vegas trip for July 4 weekend, and then driving to LA to catch a ball game before flying back. I have heard that you pretty much need a card to get around in L.A. - is this true? I'll be spending two nights so would like to get out and see as much as I can.

Also any recommendations on things to do? Will be catching the baseball game in Anaheim, so would like to stay somewhere close to the ball-park.

cet
02-05-2014, 11:43 AM
This thread (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/327646/a-californians-guide-to-southern-california/) has some pretty good info in it.

I think it depends on what you want to see as to whether you need a car or not. If you're basing yourself in Anaheim and just want to go to some of the major attractions (Disney, Universal etc.) then you can probably do it with shuttle buses. If you want to spend the day and go to Venice/Santa Monica, then head off to Hollywood you'll absolutley need a car.

spike98
02-05-2014, 11:49 AM
Get a car for sure. Its cheap for a couple of days and it will allow you to maximize the time you have for attractions.

chathamf
02-05-2014, 12:01 PM
I don't really care about the stuff in Anaheim, I'd be more interested in Hollywood and checking out the beaches and whatnot.

chathamf
02-05-2014, 12:23 PM
Anyone do the Vegas to LA drive? Anything to do on the way? Or just get it overwith? I hear it's pretty uneventful and all desert.

ajooo
02-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by chathamf
Anyone do the Vegas to LA drive? Anything to do on the way? Or just get it overwith? I hear it's pretty uneventful and all desert.

yup, just get it over with.

cet
02-05-2014, 12:43 PM
I've done it a few times. Once about 15 years ago and the other times I was young. From what I rememebr there isn't much to do. It's about 5 hrs so I just got it over with.

bjstare
02-05-2014, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by ajooo

yup, just get it over with.
:werd:

I did it on a motorcycle at the end of summer. Made sure to leave first thing in the AM, so it wasn't +a bajillion degrees.

nj2Type-S
02-05-2014, 01:16 PM
get a car. you won't regret it!

chathamf
02-05-2014, 02:05 PM
Definitely getting a car. Definitely getting up early and blasting through the drive to Cali. Now just have to find the best use of my time while there.

nj2Type-S
02-05-2014, 02:11 PM
when we went there in december, we pretty much did the touristy stuff: hollywood boulevard, dolby theatre, universal studios. those were fun, but i think i had the most fun just riding a bike along the coast on santa monica. we spent a day just doing that, lol.

403ep3
02-05-2014, 02:18 PM
I did LA to Vegas and wow it was hot in july. Get a car with GOOD A/C.

Apparently you're supposed to have your A/C on low while on the highway. Don't want your car overheating in temps of 35C and up!

Modelexis
02-05-2014, 02:29 PM
I used a car for all my touring except for the trip to universal, took the underground subway, worked very well. You get out of the subway across the street from Universal.

chathamf
02-05-2014, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by 403ep3
I did LA to Vegas and wow it was hot in july. Get a car with GOOD A/C.

Apparently you're supposed to have your A/C on low while on the highway. Don't want your car overheating in temps of 35C and up!

Yes I was in Vegas last yea for July 4 weekend and it was ridiculous! Was actually a record setting heat wave and was hitting temps close to 50 Celsius. Felt like a giant hairdryer blowing at you the whole time haha.

chathamf
02-05-2014, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
when we went there in december, we pretty much did the touristy stuff: hollywood boulevard, dolby theatre, universal studios. those were fun, but i think i had the most fun just riding a bike along the coast on santa monica. we spent a day just doing that, lol.

Bike riding the coast sounds really fun. Would love to do that if I had a bit more time. Maybe next time!

403ep3
02-05-2014, 04:23 PM

Yes I was in Vegas last yea for July 4 weekend and it was ridiculous! Was actually a record setting heat wave and was hitting temps close to 50 Celsius. Felt like a giant hairdryer blowing at you the whole time haha.

Yeah I was there the same time. I was in the car for about 3 hours till I went to get gas..I about died when I went to pump fuel. What a :banghead:

chathamf
02-05-2014, 04:48 PM
We're you there for UFC?

chathamf
02-05-2014, 05:51 PM
What about taking a little sight seeing tour through Compton? Prob not the best idea for a tourist?

SR54RNR
02-05-2014, 08:49 PM
Why not just fly from Vegas to la? We were thinking of renting a car and doing that drive, but it's actually cheaper to fly.. $75 per person

403ep3
02-05-2014, 10:23 PM
It's actually pretty much the same. I rented a car for 45+ gas while I could have flown with JetBlue. Remember the cheap airlines don't have free check in baggage

chathamf
02-06-2014, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by SR54RNR
Why not just fly from Vegas to la? We were thinking of renting a car and doing that drive, but it's actually cheaper to fly.. $75 per person

Need a car in Cali anyways. And with the car we'd save from having to get a cab to the airport in Vegas, and can stop at the Outlet malls on the way out of town and save cab money there. Not the longest drive, I doubt I'd save much time really when you factor in waiting at the airport, baggage, cabs, etc.

Themarkuss
02-06-2014, 11:39 AM
go to café lu!!

chathamf
02-06-2014, 01:10 PM
LOL seriously? From my little google search looks like a coffee shop with a touch of a thai whore house?

roopi
02-07-2014, 05:38 PM
Free Sriracha factory tour :rofl:

http://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-huy-fong-foods-sriracha-factory-free-tour-20140206,0,4813737.story#axzz2sblrENDA

Unknown303
02-07-2014, 05:42 PM

Bike riding the coast sounds really fun. Would love to do that if I had a bit more time. Maybe next time!

Just hanging out on Venice Beach and Santa Monica are both great spots. I started in Santa Monica and walked back down to Venice Beach were my hotel was. Damn good strip of beach there.

chathamf
02-07-2014, 05:52 PM
Anyone try surfing? I guess since my times limited I wouldn't be able to spend enough time at it to catch on.

Speed_69
02-07-2014, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303

Just hanging out on Venice Beach and Santa Monica are both great spots. I started in Santa Monica and walked back down to Venice Beach were my hotel was. Damn good strip of beach there.
This. Santa Monica/Venice Beach are my favorite places to hang out in LA.

chathamf
02-07-2014, 06:14 PM
Yea im thinking the beaches are going to be where my time gets spent. Not interested in the theme parks and kind of want to escape the city and relax. Im from Nova Scotia and beaches are what I miss most about being home.

Unknown303
02-07-2014, 06:22 PM
Venice Beach is sweet. We ate at the Canali Cafe on the south end, Great food, nice patio. Then walked up the beach to the muscle beach area which is a pretty cool area to check out. Then for some reason we took a cab to Santa Monica and toured the mall/stores there for a bit then hit up the peer and worked our way back down to the south end of Venice beach. We were staying at the Marina del Rey Marriot hotel which was pretty decent and faces the marina.

chathamf
02-07-2014, 06:31 PM
How much to rent a bike for the day?

Neil4Speed
02-07-2014, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Speed_69

This. Santa Monica/Venice Beach are my favorite places to hang out in LA.

Agreed. One thing about LA, try to commute as little as possible. Ie. if your going to Venice beach, stay there for a few days, then commute to another area (hollywood or something), stay for a few days etc. The traffic is unbelievable and you will save allot of time that way.

For Venice beach, I stayed here, it was well priced and a great location https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/810184 . Highly recommend it.

nj2Type-S
02-08-2014, 12:20 AM
you don't have to ride the whole day. i think we were charged $5/hr for our bikes. we rented from a shop near marina del rey. go see a clippers game!

chathamf
02-08-2014, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
you don't have to ride the whole day. i think we were charged $5/hr for our bikes. we rented from a shop near marina del rey. go see a clippers game!

Going in July won't be any NBA then. Going to catch the Blue Jays play in Anaheim though!

funkedelic2
02-08-2014, 05:13 PM
I've done the road trip 3 times now. I personally enjoy the drive but there isn't much to see along the way. You don't hit a major city until Salt Lake. After that, it's just Vegas and then LA. I went in April last year and went to a Dodgers, Kings and Lakers game. Outside of beaches/amusement parks, there is good shopping in LA and usually a good show in town. There's also a lot of tours you can go on. It really helps if you know anyone in the area so they can take you around.

Public transit is atrocious in LA and you will need a car. You'll be stuck in traffic either way.

Teknix
02-11-2014, 08:36 AM
I'm in the midst of booking a trip to LA right now.

Having a hard time picking a hotel though. We wanted to stay in Santa Monica but hotels are hella pricey. So we are looking something close to the beaches and still a good location to get to Hollywood and stuff.

Suggestions?

Unknown303
02-11-2014, 09:25 AM
I stayed here. Really close to the marina and Venice Beach.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/laxmb-marina-del-rey-marriott/

chathamf
02-11-2014, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Teknix

Having a hard time picking a hotel though. We wanted to stay in Santa Monica but hotels are hella pricey. So we are looking something close to the beaches and still a good location to get to Hollywood and stuff.

Suggestions?

Keep us updated! Would love some suggestions after your trip.

flipstah
02-11-2014, 09:51 AM
Fuck, this weather has been so brutal I might just fly there for a weekend and visit the beach.

... I also have family there; whatever. :rofl:

chathamf
02-12-2014, 11:04 AM
Seems like everything is crazy expensive close to Venice and Santa Monica.

eiysa101
02-12-2014, 12:28 PM

Suggestions?

I stayed at the Shangri-La couple years ago. Really loved the location in relation to the beach, shopping mall a block the other way plus good restaurants all down the block. It had really nice modern renovations to the building.

flipstah
02-12-2014, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by eiysa101

I stayed at the Shangri-La couple years ago. Really loved the location in relation to the beach, shopping mall a block the other way plus good restaurants all down the block. It had really nice modern renovations to the building.

There's a Shangri-La in California?

eiysa101
02-12-2014, 05:34 PM
In Santa Monica

nj2Type-S
02-13-2014, 12:50 AM

Suggestions?

we stayed at marina del rey. we just biked to santa monica from there.

Teknix
03-25-2014, 10:41 PM
So we have booked a hotel at Marina Del Rey! Going June 23-29th.

I know in the New York Travel thread there was A LOT about where to go, what to do, what to eat ect..

I want to pick your brains from people experiences as to where to go for:
- Where/What to Eat
- Any great Comedy clubs?
- Where to go for live music?
- And any other MUST DO'S!!

We are lucky enough to be going during the BET experience and will be attending some Rap concerts and Celebrity basketball games. Also hoping to get tickets to Jimmy Kimmel!

Thanks in advanced!

sexualbanana
03-26-2014, 10:37 AM

We are lucky enough to be going during the BET experience and will be attending some Rap concerts and Celebrity basketball games. Also hoping to get tickets to Jimmy Kimmel!

I hope you're black. BET has a tendency to frown/discourage white people from attending their events. Some friends of mine from Virginia went to the BET Awards when we were in LA and they were basically told they weren't welcome by BET staff.

chathamf
04-02-2014, 08:19 AM
So we have booked a hotel at Marina Del Rey! Going June 23-29th.

I know in the New York Travel thread there was A LOT about where to go, what to do, what to eat ect..

I want to pick your brains from people experiences as to where to go for:
- Where/What to Eat
- Any great Comedy clubs?
- Where to go for live music?
- And any other MUST DO'S!!

Thanks in advanced!

Let me know if you find any good info! I'm heading there for three days after spending three days in Vegas - early July. Looking for ideas and trying to jam as much as we can into three days.

Teknix
05-21-2014, 09:58 PM
I've got my itinerary all planned out just need to find some good places to eat.
Whats the best places you've eaten at in LA? So far the only place on my list is Crab Pot.

We are looking for some of the best for the following:
- Korean BBQ
- Suchi
- Udon
- Mexican
- Seafood
- And what ever else!

chathamf
06-21-2014, 02:39 PM
Finally getting my Vegas/LA trip in. Unfortunately won't be spending much time in the LA area though. Going to be arriving in Anaheim in the morning, catching a baseball game in the evening, and than taking off again the next morning. Wanted to spend the day in Santa Monica before the game, but seems like it's a bit too far.

Was wondering if anyone has any experience around Huntington or Newport Beach? Any dining recommendations and what's the better beach?

Teknix
07-04-2014, 07:19 AM
Just got back from my trip and it was amazing! Our itinerary worked our great so I'll share it with you folks!

June 24 – 30, 2014

Hotel: MDR by Hilton, Marina del Rey (was just renovated and is really nice!)

June 24th: Check in hotel, walk around Venice Beach, Venice canals, & Santa Monica, pick up car rental.

June 25th: Universal Studios, Warner Brother Studios tour at 4:00pm, Griffith Observatory, & Hollywood if there is time.

June 26th: Disneyland, Laguna Beach, dinner at Crab Pot in Long Beach

June 27th: The Grove, Original Farmer’s Market, LACMA, Sunset Blvd, Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills, & Hollywood, dinner in Korea Town & Genwa

June 28th: Getty Centre & Villa, lunch at Getty Centre, Griffith Observatory if not done on the 25th, Little Tokyo for dinner, BET Awards Concert.

June 29th: Possibly go to an outlet, Venice boardwalk, Santa Monica pier, 3rd street promenade, downtown LA, return car rental.

June 30th: Venice & Santa Monica beach, flight at 5:00pm

We ate some amazing food while we were there. Korean BBQ at Genwa gives you like 25 side dishes, and we had $100 lobster at "The Lobster" but damn was it good!