PDA

View Full Version : Which type of information can I send to my car via OBD-II?

Mar
02-05-2014, 01:51 PM
I know I can pull information from it like real time diagnostics but I was reading somewhere that you can send commands to some of the newer GM vehicles, I'm guessing because of the On Star capabilities. I don't drive a GM, I drive a 2005 Honda Civic, is there anything I can send to my computer like starting the engine or turning on defrost? Anything?

rage2
02-05-2014, 02:05 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs

Manufacturers have additional commands beyond the OBD2 PIDs that are not documented, and requires secured/encrypted access that's not available to the general public.

edit - looks like that's covered in the wiki article too.

Sentry
02-05-2014, 05:41 PM
Nothing useful really.

IF you had an OEM scan tool you could access the immobilizer ECU and program keys, access the body ECU and make windows move, trunk pop, etc. Mostly diagnostic stuff.

AE92_TreunoSC
02-05-2014, 05:51 PM
Accessing the canbus systems advanced features is usually only achieved by purchasing specific licensing, but the obd2 port has direct access to a vehicles entire system. Most modern cars have 15-100 modules that are part of the canbus system and each module usually has specific operations that can be controlled.

Modern car starters are tied into the can bus system and can perform many operations. Really its a matter of licensing to perform operations in specific modules.

Usually defrost is integrated into a power distribution module which can be controlled by other means than just the physical button, so it can be programmed to come on via module.

Whereas a seat heater is usually a separate system and cannot be programmed to operate outside of physical button.

Basically a good car starter is capable of what you want.

Mar
02-05-2014, 06:36 PM
I'm asking mainly because I just bought this:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obdsol/obdlink-mx-wifi-a-wireless-gateway-to-vehicle-obd

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/001/584/987/32714dc760d6cdcd75cfcec855ed64a9_large.jpg

However I also have a 2 way Compustar alarm/starter so is there a way I can activate the defrost from that? What about windows?

AE92_TreunoSC
02-05-2014, 07:14 PM
The compustar has to be programmed by a dealer. I'm not that well versed in them, but I'm aware of their functions.

Some factory remotes actually roll the windows down by simply holding the unlock button. Nissans have been doing it since the early 90's on their cars.

The problem with any off make scanner, even with extended functionality it won't be able to do everything to every car. That tool may roll the windows down on a Cobalt but not on a Civic, this is due to protocols and limitations simply by vehicle.

Most new cars have canbus to the window modules and can talk to windows and sometimes operate them. Some cars however have no communication at all to windows. It really varies. Just by reading the crowdfunder page it looks like only GM and FoMoCo compatibility for those.

The other issue is some people advise against leaving a broadcasting OBD2 tool attached to the car for fear of parasitic draw.

I have and OBD2 bluetooth scanner like that, I specifically got it for diagnostics rather than novelty, I wish it would do the torque app but it helps me at work. Mine does all the modules using manufacturer protocols, its pretty much useless to an average joe.

It does look cool and I'm looking for something like that for my own car, my current tool isn't talking nice to my new subbie so I'm just going to get a generic tool to screw around with.

Cos
02-05-2014, 09:59 PM

jcox20
02-06-2014, 12:30 AM
Not to jack the thread but wondering if anyone knows if any of these obd to iphone plugs are able to transmit data like boost pressure in real time by bluetooth or wifi as I've seen both options available online.

I read that the obd bus is not quick enough but I've not tested this myself and am curious if someone has.

Cos
02-06-2014, 08:52 AM

Mar
02-06-2014, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Cos
The obd isn't the issue, it is that apple restricts the use of the Bluetooth so the Bluetooth obd devices don't work. You have to buy a WiFi obd transmitter if you want to use iPhone. Most people use android and a Bluetooth transmitter for that reason. I have boost, fuel rail pressure, cat temp, transmission temp, lamba, commanded AF, measured AF, speed, speed variance between GPS and obd, and voltage. Pretty much anything.
My phone is Android.

Cos
02-06-2014, 09:07 PM

bjstare
02-07-2014, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Cos

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mini-ELM327-V1-5-OBD2-II-Bluetooth-Car-Auto-Diagnostic-Interface-Scanner-Tool-/300870978320?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460d4ecb10&_uhb=1

Looked at the ebay ad you linked, and my car isn't listed in the list of compatible vehicles... but it's OBD-II (03 3.2CL type-s). Am I missing something? I'd like to get one of these. Purely for the novelty. haha

sneek
02-07-2014, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by cjblair

Looked at the ebay ad you linked, and my car isn't listed in the list of compatible vehicles... but it's OBD-II (03 3.2CL type-s). Am I missing something? I'd like to get one of these. Purely for the novelty. haha

More likely than not it'll work. I keep a few of these lying around, and the only car that gave me trouble was an 06 Corolla. For some reason it took forever to connect to the ECU after pairing. I use it a lot when my friends have random CELs that can easily be fixed (gas cap).

Cos
02-07-2014, 12:16 PM