PDA

View Full Version : Question about Building a House

zaider
02-05-2014, 02:41 PM
Hey Folks.

I own an inner city house in Mount Pleasant. 25' wide lot, 1.5 story built in 1914. Nicely renovated by the last owner.

It's about 1100sq ft and has a new garage and that's been perfect for my wife and I so far. However, it isn't quite enough room for starting a family.

We're beginning to look into either selling the house and buying half a duplex in the same area (proximity to downtown is high on the list of priorities) or tearing down our house and building new in its place.

The mortgage on the current place is close to being paid off, if that matters.

For the new place, what i'd like:
2000 sq ft, unfinished basement, garage can stay as is since it is new... etc etc. We'd be looking for something fairly nice, but not over the top (comparable half-duplex in the $600-$650k range in the area).

Anyway.... to my question:

I am having trouble figuring out a ball-park cost for what it would cost to tear down my current house and build something in its place. A lot of the numbers I find are for building at the city limits and include the land.

The rest of my street is mostly turning into infills (as I said, its inner city)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Z

tpurcell4
02-05-2014, 02:59 PM
Hey,

Have a client looking to do something like this right now. In searching for some options for him I called a dozen or so different inner city home builders.

I found that Riverview Homes (www.Riverviewhomes.ca) and the owner, Chris, was open and candid about the whole process. His number is 403.973.9675.

For them the construction can start as low as $250/sq. ft. and go up from their based on what you want.

I recommend calling him and asking some questions!

Todd

gyromonkey
02-05-2014, 03:02 PM
I am in the process of tearing down 8 houses in Hillhurst and the company I am using is Wearmouth they have been really good, I can get you their info if you go the Tear down and rebuild route. The removal prices are not a bad as i thought they would be

feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions or want info on permits and stuff

zaider
02-05-2014, 05:01 PM
Thanks guys. Appreciate the quick responses.

tpurcell4
02-05-2014, 05:06 PM
You're welcome and good luck!

ExtraSlow
02-05-2014, 06:02 PM
Mount Pleasant is all turning into infills. I'm in one.

BigDL
02-05-2014, 10:41 PM
Z I love the location of your house, good luck with the build!

zaider
02-06-2014, 09:49 AM
Thanks D!

It's a really great location on a nice street, so that's why I am leaning towards keeping it.

I guess the final option would be keeping it and renting it out as is, and then buying something else in the area, but I am not sure I want the hassle right now.

Buster
02-20-2014, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by tpurcell4
Hey,

Have a client looking to do something like this right now. In searching for some options for him I called a dozen or so different inner city home builders.

I found that Riverview Homes (www.Riverviewhomes.ca) and the owner, Chris, was open and candid about the whole process. His number is 403.973.9675.

For them the construction can start as low as $250/sq. ft. and go up from their based on what you want.

I recommend calling him and asking some questions!

Todd

I just chatted with Chris briefly. Picked up the phone on the first ring...great sign.

I'm considering building a home. We like Lakeview. But not too many new houses in there to purchase yet. So we might have to build.

RX_EVOLV
02-20-2014, 12:50 PM
Hey Zaider, mind if I bug you for some information as you go through the process? I'm in a similar position but a few years behind. Got a 1,200 sqf, 1914 house in Mount Pleasant now on a 36' lot that I would like to rebuild 5-7 years down the road when I have a family and need more space. Probably a good idea to start educating myself on this now...