PDA

View Full Version : Working in Canada and Living Abroad?

stealth
02-06-2014, 12:35 PM
Has anyone on here worked in Canada and lived abroad?

I work a 14/14 schedule and have been thinking of living somewhere East, perhaps Spain.

Just want to see if anyone has done something similar to this?

Tik-Tok
02-06-2014, 12:46 PM
A friend did the opposite, he lived here and worked in Europe on a 30/30 schedule.

He got really sick of the commute, real fast, and you'll be doing it twice as often as he did. Shovelling out $1500 a month in flights didn't help either. You'll be paying double that as well.

stealth
02-06-2014, 12:58 PM
Ya I can see the commute getting tiring, but I work with people who essentially do the same flying back to Newfoundland.

I can manage to get the flights down to $1000 round trip. Which would be once a month.

bjstare
02-06-2014, 01:11 PM
That sounds insane to me on a 14/14, but to each his own.

Aside from commute costs, the things that jump out at me are:
-When do you see your friends/family in Canada?
-If you're actually spending that much time out of the country, you risk losing your healthcare
-Have you looked into taxes in the country you want to live in? You might wind up paying tax there too if you're not careful.

stealth
02-06-2014, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
That sounds insane to me on a 14/14, but to each his own.

Aside from commute costs, the things that jump out at me are:
-When do you see your friends/family in Canada?
-If you're actually spending that much time out of the country, you risk losing your healthcare
-Have you looked into taxes in the country you want to live in? You might wind up paying tax there too if you're not careful.

Commute costs I am not worried about.

I know people who are doing it in Arizona, Hawaii and things like that, but then again it is not as far awayl.

You can see family and friends when you actually take vacation time off.

Not too worried about the health care as I will still be here for half the year and my residence would still be listed as here.

Haven't looked into taxes, but I do not see it as being any different than going on a "vacation" for 2 weeks.

tirebob
02-06-2014, 02:03 PM
One of my best friends lives in France and works at the Firebag camp up north and has been doing it for a few years now. He is 2 weeks here and two weeks back in France. He loves it. Realistically, he just uses the flight back to France to sleep and he arrives in France mid morning with no jet lag. Now he holds both Canadian and French citizenship by birth as well as being married to a French girl so he has no issues at all with customs. If you were a Canadian only living in Europe coming and going every two weeks, it might be a little bit more problematic but really, other than taking more time going through customs and having to explain yourself every time, I can't see it creating too much trouble...

What sort of concerns do you have? Are you looking to live in one particular place or sort of jump around?

stealth
02-06-2014, 02:29 PM
Hey Bob thanks for that info.

I was more concerned about how quick the commute would get tiring. I don't mind travelling and have done it lots in my life, and like your friend I would most likely sleep during the flights.

I would be looking to live in one place and not move around.

Has he had any major flight delays flying out of CDG airport, coming back to Canada?

bjstare
02-06-2014, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by stealth

Commute costs I am not worried about.

I know people who are doing it in Arizona, Hawaii and things like that, but then again it is not as far awayl.

You can see family and friends when you actually take vacation time off.

Not too worried about the health care as I will still be here for half the year and my residence would still be listed as here.

Haven't looked into taxes, but I do not see it as being any different than going on a "vacation" for 2 weeks.

RE: Taxes.. it's absolutely different than going on vacay for two weeks. And to be clear, I don't mean Canadian taxes. I'm referring to taxes in your destination ("home") country. My parents have a house in Hawaii and spend a notable amount of time there every year, and there's certain measures you have to take to ensure that you don't pay tax in both countries, based on your "global income" (i believe that's the right term). It's something I'd consider before moving away, anyways.

The other stuff I just mentioned is personal choice, if you think it'll work for you, then :thumbsup: