PDA

View Full Version : Advice Plz: Picking out appliances for new build

GingeRRRBeef
02-06-2014, 07:26 PM
Hey guys,

My wife and I are building a new home with NuVista. We are supposed to go to the Brick (Deerfoot Meadows) to pick out appliances.

Do you guys have any experiences dealing with third-party vendors like this?

Any tips or tricks so I can get the best deal? Anything I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

dj_rice
02-06-2014, 09:33 PM
Why go to the Brick.

Cut the brick out and go straight to the suppliers like Trail Appliance and etc. Better deals I think can be had there.

Cos
02-06-2014, 09:45 PM

BMDUBS
02-06-2014, 10:24 PM
My friend just bought a full appliance package at the Home Depot and apparently got a killer deal when compared to other vendors around town.

Just don't by General Electric GE appliances period. I have had nothing but a miserable experience with their higher end profile line. Recalls and defects they know about but they have subbed out their warranty to a lousy third party company that's equally as lousy, Mabe Canada. Lots of known defects with GE General Electric appliances.

killramos
02-06-2014, 10:39 PM
I went to trail. You can usually negotiate an all in price discount for buying everything.

roopi
02-06-2014, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Why go to the Brick.

Cut the brick out and go straight to the suppliers like Trail Appliance and etc. Better deals I think can be had there.

Trail is a retail store just like The Brick/Coast/Leon's/etc.

I'm guessing your builder works with The brick so you have 2 choices. Either choose through the brick or ask your builder for a credit and source you appliances yourself.

If you want a better deal with the brick then research what you want and the best prices available and the brick will most likely match it.

benyl
02-06-2014, 11:19 PM
Do you need the appliances in your mortgage, or can you pay cash?

Cross shop and get the brick to match prices from other stores.

We bought all our stuff at direct buy. Saved $8k on a $23k appliance package.

Team_Mclaren
02-06-2014, 11:49 PM
I did mine at Trail cause that's who my builder uses, not sure how good the prices are but they do price match.

GingeRRRBeef
02-07-2014, 12:02 AM
Our builder, NuVista, uses the Brick as their supplier. We can buy somewhere else but they will not warranty the install and we cannot install the appliances until after we take possession.

And unfortunately we cannot use just any salespeople. The Brick has a specific person that deals with these new builds.

ExtraSlow
02-07-2014, 07:36 AM
no not get electrolux.
If your fridge comes with filters, find out how much the filters are BEFORE you buy the fridge.

Bosch for dishwashers.

roopi
02-07-2014, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Silver_SpecV
Our builder, NuVista, uses the Brick as their supplier. We can buy somewhere else but they will not warranty the install and we cannot install the appliances until after we take possession.

And unfortunately we cannot use just any salespeople. The Brick has a specific person that deals with these new builds.

Our builder uses Trail and they assigned us to a specific salesperson. I'm also a Direct Buy member so I had already picked out the appliances I wanted and priced them out through Direct Buy.

When I went into my Trail appointment he started showing me the 'basic package' and I stopped him and explained that I've done my research and gave him the pricing with Direct Buy. I explained I don't expect you to match the prices however if you can come close I'll buy my appliances from you.

After about 10 minutes he came back and I believe on about 20K in appliances he was about $1000 more. This included delivery and install so I went with it.

If you purchase your appliances somewhere other then the Brick the actual appliances are under warranty. There is nothing to be concerned about there. Plan ahead and you can have the appliances delivered/installed the afternoon of possession.

benyl
02-07-2014, 12:44 PM
Shane homes makes you go though Coast. On that $23K package, they wanted $21K + install. I told them that Sears was having a sale on Bosch, trail had a sale on Electrolux, etc. Showed them the quote from Direct Buy. Wouldn't budge.

Told them fuck you and got shane to give us our credit even though they never do that.

Darkane
02-07-2014, 12:46 PM
Trail :thumbsup:

word Of Caution: Don't cheap out on Dishwashers and Laundry.

Bosch :thumbsup:

Asian_defender
02-07-2014, 02:00 PM
Kitchenaid FTW. I don't even look at other brands
Costs a little more but IMO its worth it

hurrdurr
02-07-2014, 02:39 PM
Went through Trail with our builder. All Frigidaire. The price we were originally quoted when he picked stuff out actually went down 3 months later when we modified the order due to additional rebates and sales pricing prior to possession.

Worked out nicely.

Dj_DLX
02-07-2014, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Shane homes makes you go though Coast. On that $23K package, they wanted $21K + install. I told them that Sears was having a sale on Bosch, trail had a sale on Electrolux, etc. Showed them the quote from Direct Buy. Wouldn't budge.

Told them fuck you and got shane to give us our credit even though they never do that.

Shane mostly goes through Trail now and only uses Coast if you're buying something small like a duplex.

masoncgy
02-07-2014, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Cos
pm masoncgy. Great guy.

Thank you!

Left you a PM, Silver_SpecV, if you would like some assistance.

msommers
02-07-2014, 04:41 PM
+1 for masoncgy. I jumped the gun buying appliances from home depot but next time I'll just go to him. Very easy to deal with.

GingeRRRBeef
02-07-2014, 06:24 PM
Thanks guys!

What are the typical discounts if you buy all the major appliances together (Fridge, Range, Range Fan, microwave & washer/dryer)???

R-Audi
02-07-2014, 07:15 PM
We went with all Electrolux (Prof. Dishwasher and Fridge, regular microwave and gas stove) and havent had any issues.. we are on our third year with them. Water filter for our fridge was like $15.00
We got ours from Direct Buy, didnt give anyone the chance to match as we already had a large order going through.

chongkee_
02-08-2014, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Dj_DLX

Shane mostly goes through Trail now and only uses Coast
if you're buying something small like a duplex.

This is true. Currently building with Shane and they told us our appliances will be through Trail. They also gave us a piece of paper that says we get special pricing at The Brick but it's through appointment only.

benyl
02-08-2014, 02:20 PM
It must have changed in the last year or two. I am sure many people complained about the coast outlets we have here in calgary.