PDA

View Full Version : Dress for an internal interview on a casual Friday?

austic
02-06-2014, 09:38 PM
So I have an internal interview tomorrow and am not sure how to dress. Like most oil and gas companies we have jeans casual Fridays where everyone wears jeans. Should I go in casual dress with maybe a jeans blazer combo or dress up?

Speed_69
02-06-2014, 10:37 PM
I personally would still dress up in suit and tie :dunno:

killramos
02-06-2014, 10:38 PM
Interview = Suit

No exceptions.

If for example you had an external meeting where you would be expected to dress up that happened on a Friday what would you do?

Casual Friday is also obviously not mandatory. Worst case it makes you look serious about the position.

austic
02-06-2014, 10:40 PM
Thats kind of what I thought, thanks for the advice.

Marsh
02-07-2014, 12:28 AM
Dress up for sure...you could just wear your normal casual friday clothes but bring a suit and change into it in the bathroom a before the interview to avoid awkward questions from coworkers

shakalaka
02-07-2014, 01:02 AM
I would say suit. I have a meeting with the head of a firm in Calgary that I could potentially end up at this Saturday. It's a weekend and everything, I am still wearing a suit.

ExtraSlow
02-07-2014, 07:38 AM
I'll go the other way here and suggest you stay with pretty regular Friday clothes. If it was me, it'd probably do jeans and a dress shirt.
But I'm the kind of guy who will go to an interview in a golf shirt. Hasn't seemed to hurt me.

Lex350
02-07-2014, 08:06 AM
Never a mistake to be over dressed in business but it is to be underdressed.

sputnik
02-07-2014, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by rotten42
Never a mistake to be over dressed in business but it is to be underdressed.

Depends on the image you want to give or the job you are applying for.

Wearing a suit and tie to an interview for a job that is a bit more casual or technical might make you look like someone that won't fit in with the office culture.

I am in IT and while the majority of the time I wear nicer jeans/khakis and a dress shirt I really only bump it up a couple of notches for an interview.

That said if it is a job where you are selling something, client facing or senior management a suit wouldn't hurt. Just make sure it is a nice suit and not just "the suit I wear for interviews and funerals".

flipstah
02-07-2014, 08:44 AM
Suit up. Always.

GQBalla
02-07-2014, 08:53 AM
I always suit up

Aleks
02-07-2014, 08:55 AM
I know that if you showed up for an internal interview at our company on a Friday wearing a suit it would look super awkward. When I had mine a few years ago I wore jeans and dress shirt. But internal inteviews here are pretty casual.

sputnik
02-07-2014, 09:22 AM
Oh wait. I missed the "internal interview" part.

Leave the suit at home unless a suit is required for a job.

Dress a bit nicer (wear dark jeans, dressier shoes, a matching belt and a nicely pressed shirt)... maybe get a haircut and shave.

lasimmon
02-07-2014, 10:19 AM
If its casual friday dress casually, but perhaps a little nicer as a few have said.

No need for a suit for an internal interview on casual friday... Thats a little much.

Darkane
02-07-2014, 10:25 AM
Rule of thumb: always out dress your interviewers.

The culture 20 years ago stated this. Chances are the interviewer still remembers the days.

CapnCrunch
02-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Suit up on casual Friday. :rofl:

Tik-Tok
02-07-2014, 10:31 AM
Tuxedo t-shirt? Both formal and casual! Win win.

HiTempguy1
02-07-2014, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Darkane

The culture 20 years ago stated this. Chances are the interviewer still remembers the days.

I've always done this for every job interview I've ever had, and I have always gotten a job offer for any job I interviewed for (including technical positions or field positions).

In Alberta though, really just wearing a business/dress shirt, a nice jacket, and pants that are not jeans qualifies, doubt you need a suit unless it is a formal business/economics environment.

Dress to impress, it says something about you IMO. I'd rather have an employee that cares enough to get all gussied up even if he isn't as good as the guy who comes in dressed in a polo and jeans (btw, a polo is never proper interview wear, such an Albertan thing lol).

Dumbass17
02-07-2014, 11:33 AM
Curious to know how everything went....

D'z Nutz
02-07-2014, 11:34 AM
If you went to Haskayne, your interviewer should be dressing up for you because he or she will be your subordinate someday. :rofl:

Disoblige
02-07-2014, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
If you went to Haskayne, your interviewer should be dressing up for you because he or she will be your subordinate someday. :rofl:
LMAO

hampstor
02-07-2014, 12:30 PM
Casual Friday internal interview:

If your company is exceptionally casual, dress shirt, nice jeans, jacket
If your company is business casual most days, wear a suit

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Haskayne. :rofl:

austic
02-07-2014, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
Curious to know how everything went....

Suited up, they were in dressy casual but I still felt comfortable.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

mr2mike
02-07-2014, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Darkane

Not too hard when "work attire" around my office seems to be tucked in golf shirts Mon-Thurs. Untucked golf shirts for Friday.

Random suit days for the hell of it works well. Then no one can guess you're out for an interview.

cancer man
02-08-2014, 07:42 AM
Always make sure your shoes are clean/polished.

Rat Fink
02-09-2014, 11:28 AM

PeterGTiR
02-09-2014, 07:17 PM
IMO, as it is an internal interview, I would've just worn the same clothes I wear on a regular Friday. They're probably basing your suitability for the job on past performance, attitude and rapport with the people you'd potentially be working with.

Sugarphreak
02-10-2014, 01:57 PM

flipstah
02-10-2014, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

A formal suit reeks of desperation, puts the power into the hands of the interviewer right away.

Interesting. I see the suit as a sign of respect. That you're very serious for, in this case, the position being offered to you.

ercchry
02-10-2014, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Interesting. I see the suit as a sign of respect. That you're very serious for, in this case, the position being offered to you.

or maybe you just fucking loves suits... but also with the industry Nick and I are in... im just happy when everyone shows up to work with pants on :rofl:

flipstah
02-10-2014, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

or maybe you just fucking loves suits... but also with the industry Nick and I are in... im just happy when everyone shows up to work with pants on :rofl:

Well, I do look good in a suit... :bigpimp: :rofl:

Sugarphreak
02-10-2014, 06:52 PM

ExtraSlow
02-10-2014, 08:49 PM
Sugarphreak has it right. when you are interviewing with someone, it is like a game of poker. They already know most of your hand before you sit down, after all they've seen your resume. But you have some hole cards, and you can represent pretty much whatever you want.

Still, I recommend not bluffing anyone in an interview. it won't help you in the long run. I remember one guy who was lying to me about his current salary, I'm 100% certain he inflated it by 30-50%. We did some checking in the days after the interview, and when it became obvious, we called him up and told him he should keep his current job, because we couldn't afford him. Didn't even try to negotiate. He was pretty surprised. To me, he came off as disrespectful to lie to me like that. If I can't trust him in the interview, why would I trust him as an employee.

Sugarphreak
02-10-2014, 09:44 PM

sabad66
02-10-2014, 09:45 PM
^ How did you find out he lied about his current salary?

ExtraSlow
02-10-2014, 10:13 PM
Suffice to say I did not find out the actual dollar figure of his salary, just the range of salaries for that position at his company.

And Sugarphreak, yeah, this is pretty good. I like to think of it like texas hold-em. as the interview progresses, it's like seeing the turn and river cards, but the hole cards are yours alone . ..

flipstah
02-10-2014, 10:51 PM
Such deep insight to a suit, Sugarphreak lol. Me likey! :rofl:

Pretty ballsy to go into an interview semi-casual IMO. More power to you. :thumbsup:

sputnik
02-11-2014, 08:37 AM
I have interviewed enough people to know who is wearing a suit because they "think" that it is the right thing to do and those that wear suits because they just happen to be comfortable wearing one.

Don't be fooled. Your ability to tie a tie, get a shoeshine and find a good drycleaner doesn't buy a ton of points during the interview process anymore.

The only exception being jobs in which you will be expected to wear a suit to work everyday.

sputnik
02-11-2014, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
Pretty ballsy to go into an interview semi-casual IMO. More power to you. :thumbsup:

If you have skills and a personality that the company is looking for it makes little difference to them if you have the ability to dress yourself in a suit.

That said, if I was every turned down for a job because I didn't "suit up" for an interview I would seriously question if that would even be a place I would want to work anyway.

Nitpicking on suit or no-suit as a hiring factor would really lead me to believe that the company would just further nitpick on more asinine things that really don't matter when it comes to getting good work done.

Mibz
02-11-2014, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
That said, if I was every turned down for a job because I didn't "suit up" for an interview I would seriously question if that would even be a place I would want to work anyway.

Nitpicking on suit or no-suit as a hiring factor would really lead me to believe that the company would just further nitpick on more asinine things that really don't matter when it comes to getting good work done. This right here. I was going to post that the only time I'd suit up for an interview is when a woman in management was doing the interviewing. And at that point, why would I work there, haha. Since I do most of my interviewing on work days I'll be wearing whatever the dress code at my current contract is, which tends to be a polo, jeans and dress shoes anyway.

Bottom line, if my skills and personality don't get me a job then I wouldn't enjoy myself there anyway, and I'm lucky enough to be in a city and industry where I can pick and choose. For now.

Lex350
02-11-2014, 11:23 AM
Just because an office has a casual dress attire it doesn't mean you should for your interview. You don't work there yet so you dress well.

You will never be frowned upon by a company because you took the effort to make yourself look your best while trying to convince them you are the best candidate.

lint
02-11-2014, 11:32 AM
He does work there, it was an internal interview.

Feruk
02-11-2014, 11:45 AM
External: wear a suit always regardless of what interviewer says
Internal: wear what you would any other work day

Lex350
02-11-2014, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by lint
He does work there, it was an internal interview.

it was more of a generic comment

lint
02-11-2014, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by rotten42
it was more of a generic comment

then the general rule of thumb is to dress one level better than your interviewer. If they're in jeans and a polo, you dress business casual. If they're in business casual, you suit up. If they're in a suit, you rent a tux

Sugarphreak
02-11-2014, 12:52 PM

lint
02-11-2014, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Interesting rule of thumb given the obvious flaw of not knowing what your inverviewer is going to wear until you meet him/her

in the course of researching a company, is it really that hard to figure out what the dress code is?

Mibz
02-11-2014, 01:18 PM
IT nerds in suits are almost always hilarious. Usually too big with an inappropriately sized tie. It's like they're 5 years late for prom.

ercchry
02-11-2014, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
IT nerds in suits are almost always hilarious. Usually too big with an inappropriately sized tie. It's like they're 5 years late for prom.

....another industry where showing up with pants on is a +1 already :rofl:

Sugarphreak
02-11-2014, 01:27 PM

lint
02-11-2014, 01:34 PM
sigh, it's a rule of thumb. govern yourselves accordingly

austic
02-12-2014, 05:58 PM
Made it to the second interview so I guess the suit didnt hinder my chances .

Sugarphreak
02-12-2014, 08:19 PM