PDA

View Full Version : LF: Entry level position with minimal experience

pheoxs
02-07-2014, 10:41 AM
Posting up for a friend. She's looking to move down to Calgary from Edmonton and looking for a job. She's done a few years working as a baker and has her education in baking but is thinking that she wants to find a more regular job and continue the baking as a hobby / weekend thing at farmers markets etc.

Anyone have any ideas or know of any openings? Kind of generic I know but was thinking her best bet might be along the lines of a project assistant / basic level HR or assistant type position? Receptionist or secretary or something?

Dumbass17
02-07-2014, 12:12 PM
Is she attractive?

Get her to drive around the warehouses/industrial places in the foothills industrial park. Usually some postings around there looking for general admin type jobs :dunno:

mr2mike
02-07-2014, 12:25 PM
Talk to a hiring agency.
manpower or something.

pheoxs
02-07-2014, 01:57 PM
@ Dumbass17 Thanks, I hadn't thought about warehouses and such. I'll suggest that as an option too.

@mr2mike thats an option as well, I always figured the hiring agencies were mainly for skilled / professional / niche workers but that might be an option as well

darthVWader
02-07-2014, 02:13 PM
Catering companies are always looking as well. Bowen and other temp agencies are a good bet. Lots of entry level stuff like mailroom and Reception work.

woodywoodford
02-07-2014, 02:55 PM
She could try for a receptionist/office admin type role downtown. Temping might be a way to get a foot in on that (we bring in temps whenever ours goes on vacation, and they're almost always younger people without degrees/etc)

Unknown303
02-07-2014, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
Is she attractive?

:thumbsup:

n1zm0
02-07-2014, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by pheoxs
I always figured the hiring agencies were mainly for skilled / professional / niche workers but that might be an option as well

The amount of people I know who started at the agencies and now work full time in O&G tells me that it's a great plan for someone who has minimal experience. Out of the 6 people I know who went this route, 3 years in industry is the least amount so far and 7 years is the longest.

You work hard in the temp position during your contract time, live through the deductions the agency takes off you, you'll hopefully get asked to stay on in a permanent role.

ExtraSlow
02-07-2014, 04:17 PM
Catering companies is a solid option. Places like Great Events or Affair to remember seem to have steady work. There's probably others.