PDA

View Full Version : New Summer Toy

shakalaka
02-10-2014, 12:53 AM
As some of you know that I just sold my R6, I thought I'd upgrade it a little bit. Just picked up this baby today and got a pretty decent deal. The guy that owned it lived near Grand Prairie, first owner and was decent enough to put it on his trailer and bring it to Edmonton.

So I got two things to be excited about this summer. One the AMG has been parked in the garage most of the winter and two this new beast now. I may also get an opportunity to move back to Calgary (fingers crossed) and then that would be simply amazing then!

Anyway...on to the pics. It's a Suzuki GSXR 1000K6.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/karanaujla/7EFC0133-790B-4A17-8A51-E0CE6305959E.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/karanaujla/1D411776-8BE9-4961-850F-03754CC8746F.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/karanaujla/6C6DF965-F8C3-4805-82DD-EFC3460AD2D4.jpg

As it sits in my underground parking here in Edmonton.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/karanaujla/25317242-6A23-4FC7-94FF-152BE0A7F586.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/karanaujla/D4A1E0BD-06E3-4C23-B79A-47207C0FE774.jpg

amear
02-10-2014, 03:25 AM
Sweet bike! Id put fire and theft insurance on it asap in case anything happens to it!

shakalaka
02-10-2014, 02:16 PM
Yea I gotta call insurance today and get it registered as well. I removed the R6 a few days ago, so will add this on today.

Masked Bandit
02-10-2014, 02:20 PM
Definitely need the theft coverage. We (as a brokerage) get more bikes stolen from "secure" underground parkades than anywhere else. Wicked bike :thumbsup:

01RedDX
02-10-2014, 02:25 PM

shakalaka
02-10-2014, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Definitely need the theft coverage. We (as a brokerage) get more bikes stolen from "secure" underground parkades than anywhere else. Wicked bike :thumbsup:

Yup, just added 3rd party and comprehensive coverage. As long as I am in Edmonton and living at these apartments, I will keep theft. If I happen to move back home, I'll get rid of it then.

It as a two way Scorpio alarm, so that will help when outside.

Originally posted by 01RedDX
Sweet Gixxer, I get queasy just looking at it. Awesome bike man, congrats.

I am kind of apprehensive going with a 1000CC bike as well, especially coming from a 600CC bike. I don't necessarily have tons of experience either. But the previous owner was pretty much my size and said he could handle it fine and you simply gotta apply the same common sense as you would otherwise on any bike.

Plus he said his wife rode it fine so that helped too. lol.

e31
02-10-2014, 09:19 PM
It looks like you have something yellow and sturdy to lock your bike to. Just need a big cable & lock, but you're in Edmonton so you probably already thought of this.

ekguy
02-11-2014, 05:12 PM
that is a super shmexy bike sir!!!

do WANT!!!!

:poosie:

shakalaka
02-11-2014, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by e31
It looks like you have something yellow and sturdy to lock your bike to. Just need a big cable & lock, but you're in Edmonton so you probably already thought of this.

Haha I actually didn't think of that, but that is a not a bad idea. I won't bother for now though, since I got theft coverage on it for the time being. It's ridiculous how much difference adding theft coverage makes to the premium. Almost $300+!

Originally posted by ekguy
that is a super shmexy bike sir!!!

do WANT!!!!

:poosie:

Thank you! Excited for the summer now but we still got a couple of months to go I guess.

16hypen3sp
02-11-2014, 11:42 PM
Pilot Power 2 CT's?

Decent tire.

Got them on my 600RR. Love them.

themack89
02-11-2014, 11:49 PM
Don't die

snowcat
02-12-2014, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
Pilot Power 2 CT's?

Decent tire.

Great tire... for the track.

If you're street riding, a better tire is the Pilot Road 2.

Sticky and will last 15,000KM vs 4,000KM.

Supa Dexta
02-12-2014, 12:55 AM
Cable it to that railing. I like to put a sheet over things too.. Cuts down on temptations to touch stuff.

shakalaka
02-12-2014, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
Pilot Power 2 CT's?

Decent tire.

You can tell by looking at the picture?

That's what the previous owner said it had and didn't really mean much to me.

Originally posted by themack89
Don't die

I don't intend to, the gf wasn't very happy about it but oh well.

Originally posted by snowcat

I have limited knowledge about motorcycle tires. The previous owner said the front one is brand new and the rear is at around 70%. With the amount of riding I do, I should be good for at least 2 seasons.

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Cable it to that railing. I like to put a sheet over things too.. Cuts down on temptations to touch stuff.

I am hoping that I'll get to move to Calgary soon and then I'll just get rid of the theft coverage all together. Until then, I should get a cover and a cable or something. But considering there are Ferrari's and other high end cars in my parking, hopefully that's more tempting than this. lol

16hypen3sp
02-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by snowcat

Very true.

My next tires are going to be the Pilot Road 2's.

When I first bought my bike, I think it still had the tires from the factory on it. They were pretty worn.

I went to the shop and, without much research, got the Pilot Power 2 CT's thrown on. In hindsight, I should have went with the Pilot Roads. But, man, it was like riding a completely different machine with those Pilot Powers on... I loved it.

Always next time to get the Pilot Roads I guess.

bjstare
02-13-2014, 10:15 AM
Pilot powers are a really flat tire towards the outside, so when you drop the bike into a corner, it makes it feel really planted. Great for a beginning rider who's getting used to the feeling of dropping corners. Most people with a little more experience will like something with a more progressive profile (no flat spots) - I've got Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsas. I haven't had the chance to really push them yet as I put them on in September, but everyone I've talked to loves them.

Anyways, back on topic: +1 for the pilot road if you're not dropping knees. Especially if OP got a liter bike - they tend to really eat through soft tires :burnout:

shakalaka
02-13-2014, 11:44 AM
Okay I am getting confused with all the tire chat. I am not an experienced rider or anything by any means. Is this tire going to kill me or something? I don't ride too aggressively anyway, but will I need to be extra careful or something?

bjstare
02-13-2014, 12:10 PM
No, it's not gonna kill you. Just don't ride too aggressively until your tires are warmed up, especially in the spring or fall when the ground is cold. Riding on cold tires, you might as well be on ice sometimes. In any case you would have probably known this from riding your R6. If that's not the case, you shouldn't be on a 1000.:dunno:

shakalaka
02-13-2014, 01:06 PM
Yea I knew that. I don't really ride too aggressively in general to be honest, especially around the corners and stuff.

That being said, I probably should not be on a 1000 anyway. lol :(

Supa Dexta
02-13-2014, 01:45 PM
1ks are a different beast for sure. I've been on bikes all my life and my r1 still catches me the odd time getting on the throttle a little too soon with cold tires and it is just like ice as mentioned. It'll walk out on ya.

shakalaka
02-13-2014, 01:49 PM
Damn...yea it probably wasn't the best idea getting a 1K but I got a decent deal on it and couldn't pass it up. I guess I will just have to be extra careful now, can't gun it like the R6 or anything. Won't even bother with wheelies....not that I ever did to begin with lol. That's just way too scary haha.

BrknFngrs
02-13-2014, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Won't even bother with wheelies....not that I ever did to begin with lol. That's just way too scary haha.

Definitely be aware of that, some of the 1k bikes get pretty light in the front under hard acceleration.

bjstare
02-13-2014, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
1ks are a different beast for sure. I've been on bikes all my life and my r1 still catches me the odd time getting on the throttle a little too soon with cold tires and it is just like ice as mentioned. It'll walk out on ya.

Exactly my experience. The difference is, after growing up riding all types of bikes on dirt and street, dealing with losing traction comes as second nature. For new riders it doesn't, which is where lots of the crashes come from.

OP: Not trying to rain on your parade. Your new bike is sick, and will be lots of fun. Just be more than careful and you should be fine.

shakalaka
02-18-2014, 10:55 PM
I will definitely be careful. Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone. I know I am not stupid on the bike and if I was a little careless, I will just be extra careful now. The most 'careless' thing I do is gun it a little in straight line anyway. You can't do that too much on public roads anyway.

ramminghard
02-18-2014, 11:46 PM
Nice bike! I have the exact same one and its a blast to ride!

Just a heads up about the recent brake recall: http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews/article/nhtsa-confirms-suzuki-gsxr-recall