PDA

View Full Version : accident in company vehicle

Akumaz
02-10-2014, 02:51 PM
how does insurance usually work in a situation of an accident in a company vehicle
does it effect the drivers insurance directly?
or only the companies insurance? or both?
any input appreciated

Kloubek
02-10-2014, 02:54 PM
As far as I know, company insurance only. Though any driving infractions as a result are on your own license.

spikerS
02-10-2014, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
As far as I know, company insurance only. Though any driving infractions as a result are on your own license.

QFT.

The rate hike will go against whoever is the policy holder on the vehicle. If during the accident, you get a ticket, it will go against your licence, but it won't affect your own personal insurance rates.

Akumaz
02-10-2014, 03:09 PM
good, that's what I was hoping to hear
thanks!

speedog
02-10-2014, 03:13 PM
But one should possibly be mindful if there was a ticket involved with demerits attached as demerits follows one's license and could affect one's insurance if one has accumulated a significant number of demerits, no?

revelations
02-10-2014, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by spikers

QFT.

The rate hike will go against whoever is the policy holder on the vehicle. If during the accident, you get a ticket, it will go against your licence, but it won't affect your own personal insurance rates.

Not quite, if you are given a citation, which includes demerits - this will show up on an abstract search by the insurance company.

Masked Bandit
02-10-2014, 04:29 PM
Bits and pieces of truth and reality so far.

The short answer is, it depends. It depends on how the company vehicle is insured. If it's on a fleet policy, that's one thing. If it's on an individually rated commercial auto policy, that will change it again. And even with that, the particular company your employer is insured with can impact how this shakes out.

There is a database called Autoplus that is updated & used by insurance companies (and brokers). The cops don't have access to it and neither does the government. It's supposed to track any & all insurance dealings you've had such as policies you've had, claims you've had and even payment problems. The challenge is that not everything that is SUPPOSED to show up on Autoplus actually does. Most fleet-rated commercial auto policies never show up on Autoplus, but sometimes the claims do. In the end there are far too many variables at play here for anyone to give you an accurate answer.

Tickets on the other hand go on your abstract and will follow you to your personal insurance, assuming your company pulls a fresh abstract on you at renewal. Of course there are several possibilities to that question as well.

OP, who do you have your personal vehicle insured with?

Akumaz
02-10-2014, 06:32 PM
i did not get any tickets, i am the only car involved
my personal insurance is thru CAA AMA

i went to fill out a police report, and gave them the insurance info of the company car, if that helps at all

Akumaz
02-12-2014, 05:27 PM
so I ended up calling AMA just for information purpose

so they said it WILL still effect my insurance as well as the company insurance
they said it will show up on Autoplus
and it is standard practice to double dip...to penalize 2 parties for 1 incident

this kind of sounds really unfair to me

however, the person I spoke with did nto know the answer to my question initially, and had to put me on hold to ask others

so I am not 100% certain if what he said is infact what happens

they compared it to driving and getting in an accident in a friends car, both yours and their insurance will both go up

FraserB
02-12-2014, 05:49 PM
Why did you even involve your insurance? Now your rates are affected even if your company doesn't try to recover from your insurance.

You should have reported it to the police and that's it. Let your company's insurance sort it out and only provide your info if you absolutely need to.

Masked Bandit
02-12-2014, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Akumaz
so I ended up calling AMA just for information purpose

so they said it WILL still effect my insurance as well as the company insurance
they said it will show up on Autoplus
and it is standard practice to double dip...to penalize 2 parties for 1 incident

this kind of sounds really unfair to me

however, the person I spoke with did nto know the answer to my question initially, and had to put me on hold to ask others

so I am not 100% certain if what he said is infact what happens

they compared it to driving and getting in an accident in a friends car, both yours and their insurance will both go up

If managed correctly it might be possible to keep this off your personal insurance.

wishicouldwrench
02-12-2014, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Why did you even involve your insurance? Now your rates are affected even if your company doesn't try to recover from your insurance.

You should have reported it to the police and that's it. Let your company's insurance sort it out and only provide your info if you absolutely need to.

This.

LOL how does someone lacking so much in common sense even afford an 09 TL?

Akumaz
02-13-2014, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by FraserB

I only called them for information only, they don't know who I am
I did not give my account info or even name

Originally posted by wishicouldwrench

This.

LOL how does someone lacking so much in common sense even afford an 09 TL?

if by lacking "so much common sense" you mean, being less of a douche bag like your self, I am glad I am lacking such trait