PDA

View Full Version : Tuner derail thread

syscal
02-11-2014, 09:33 AM
Blairtruck, based on your last comment, I'd be curious how my truck would do against yours at the light.

I beat you with HP and kill you for torque...but my truck weighs in at 7300lbs (assuming the scales at the dump can be trusted!).

What disadvantage, other than weight, do you think I'd have against your truck?

I'm not bashing, I just don't know a heck of a lot about this stuff. I bought my truck with all the performance enhancements already installed so I'm not aware of what it can do outside of reading up on the internet.

List of upgrades I'm aware of:
- Rokktech Crank Sensor
- S&B Intake
- Flo-pro 5" Turbo Back Exhaust - installed Twister muffler recently
- H&S Minimaxx tuner with Overdrive tuning (they have dyno stats from a 6.7L with stock trans)
- EGR Delete
- Rebuilt transmission with Transgo shift kit, upgraded clutch plates, HD shift kit, Triple lock torque converter

I don't give 'er at full tune because I don't have head studs, but I'm pretty sure it would be fine.

I bought this because the expensive 250K repairs were already done and the fuel economy was better than 1/2 ton.

blairtruck
02-11-2014, 09:51 AM
i never said i race. i just like when the ( seems like always teenagers) diesels pull up and are revving and blowing smoke wanting to race i always make them think im gonna take off at the light but never do. i keep my wot blasts to myself or at castrol.
my truck runs low 12s on slicks and de weighted. mid to high 12s on 22's and street attire.
also DD so its sitting on winter rims and tires right now.
12 years old. 118k. if its not parked in my garage the wife has it at walmart basically
here is underhood pic.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/BlairTruck/CBCC0B34-8B8B-4E0F-8C1F-3676CE20B7B8-3196-00000279F6D0AC1F.jpg~original (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BlairTruck/media/CBCC0B34-8B8B-4E0F-8C1F-3676CE20B7B8-3196-00000279F6D0AC1F.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/BlairTruck/33F49B03-A373-4CAE-9D53-144A23D70842-3196-00000279E40E5BD0.jpg~original (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BlairTruck/media/33F49B03-A373-4CAE-9D53-144A23D70842-3196-00000279E40E5BD0.jpg.html)

syscal
02-11-2014, 11:05 AM
Very clean. I'm not going to embarrass myself by posting pictures of my engine compartment.

I keep running across guys with the Hemi or Ford Raptor and I'd love to see how well they can keep up, but any time I see them they are weaving in and out of traffic. I have no interest in driving dangerously and I drive like an old man most of the time.

My post in the other thread was just an obvious troll, I don't care too much about the performance to be honest. I do love how it feels mid-4th when the torque converter kicks in though.

Did you do that work yourself or at a shop?

blairtruck
02-11-2014, 11:32 AM
I buy everything from the states. Install everything myself. Except exhaust. I installed headers then Drove to the exhaust shop to have them put in the pipes and muffler. Sounded like a NASCAR driving to the shop with straight Headers

Hemi's and raptors are mid 14 second vehicles. I've raced three SRT 10s ram at the track haven't lost yet.

syscal
02-11-2014, 11:52 AM
From what I've read I'd be sitting at the same times as the raptor and hemi trucks.

SKR
02-12-2014, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by syscal
From what I've read I'd be sitting at the same times as the raptor and hemi trucks.

You might be a little slower than that. I had an 05 5.9, with an Edge 100hp module, CAI, straight 4" exhaust and a built transmission. According to the Edge monitor with boosted 4x4 launches I was still only mid 15s. I was running out of fuel on the top end in a big big way.

Your H&S tuner is probably better than the Edge one I had, but I could hit my transmission a lot harder.

syscal
02-12-2014, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by SKR

You might be a little slower than that. I had an 05 5.9, with an Edge 100hp module, CAI, straight 4" exhaust and a built transmission. According to the Edge monitor with boosted 4x4 launches I was still only mid 15s. I was running out of fuel on the top end in a big big way.

Your H&S tuner is probably better than the Edge one I had, but I could hit my transmission a lot harder.

If you were adding 100HP then I should be putting in a faster time than you I would think.

The dyno stats according to H&S running same mods with stock trans:

6.7L - http://www.hsperformance.com/dodge-6-7l-cummins-dyno-results/

This is from the Black Maxx - Minimaxx has stock + three tunes now renamed to Stock, Tow (+60), Street (+120), Performance(+175).

5.9L - http://www.hsperformance.com/2006-2007-5-9l-cummins-dyno/

What do you mean by hitting your transmission a lot harder? Any additional torque the 5.9 had over the 6.7 disappeared as soon as the DPF was removed from the 6.7...pretty sure anyway.

I would have preferred the 5.9L, it's what sold me on the Cummins, but this truck was by far the best value for my money.

SKR
02-13-2014, 07:00 AM
I had a fully built, billet shaft transmission. You can launch a lot harder without fear of breakage and you don't have to defuel on shifts. You can do that on a stock or slightly built transmission too, but it won't like it for very long. You'd really be surprised how much better my truck was with a new transmission.

I don't remember a whole lot about it because it was four years ago, and I don't know anything about your truck, but I'm pretty sure I was launching in 4x4 at 15psi, and shifting at 36-38psi without dropping any boost or fuel. That will make up some time over a truck that has to launch at 5-10psi, and has to rebuild boost every time it shifts. I also think a four speed would be faster than a six speed because it has to shift less, and would spend more time at lower rpm where it has the fuel. My truck always ran out of fuel at high rpm. I didn't have a rail pressure gauge but I could feel it.

If it was me, and again I know nothing of anything but my own situations, I would build a transmission first to put the power down, then get a lift pump, better injection pump and injectors to maintain rail pressure throughout the rpm range, and then add air. I think that better addresses the shortcomings that every truck has. A tuner is easy but it's not a total solution.