PDA

View Full Version : Juicers

TYMSMNY
02-12-2014, 01:40 PM
Since there's a topic about blenders, lets talk about Juicers!

I just picked up an OMEGA NC800HDS Masticating Juicer... sweetest thing I've picked up in a long time. It's not one of the centrifugal juicers where it chops everything and then spins the juice out. This one "masticates" or crush/press the veg/fruit so no heat.

Anyways, had it for a few days. No issues so far, 15 years warranty. Got it locally which was actually cheaper than on amazon.

I've been juicing anything from cabbage, kale, beets, broccoli, apples, ginger etc. Anyone have a good combination to try?

topsecret
02-12-2014, 02:14 PM
Ive been doing 2 beets, kale, an apple, a pear and ginger it was pretty hard to stomach the first couple times but it gets better!

sputnik
02-12-2014, 02:19 PM
Why not just eat the fruits and vegetables and gain all of the benefits that go beyond just the juice?

Juicing seems like a horrible waste of nutrients to me.

topsecret
02-12-2014, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Why not just eat the fruits and vegetables and gain all of the benefits that go beyond just the juice?

Juicing seems like a horrible waste of nutrients to me.

not a huge fan of veggies this is the easiest way for me to get it down :rofl:

btimbit
02-12-2014, 02:32 PM
If you juice a ham and your arm goes numb, just wait an hour, it'll be fine.

lint
02-12-2014, 02:35 PM
I replaced my Omega VRT350 with the NC800 and have been using it since the beginning of the year. I make about 1L a night for my wife and I the next day. Been pretty happy with this recipe:

- 1/3 bag of organic baby kale (or 1 bunch of kale)/spinach
- 4 stalks of celery
- 1 lb carrots
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 1/3 cucumber
- 1 head of Romaine lettuce

I usually just mix that with some protein in the morning. My wife likes it blended with some frozen mixed berries.

Also great for making fruit sorbets with the blank plate. We've done banana, cherries, mango, mixed berries, strawberries, all frozen bags from costco aside from the bananas. Kids love it.

As to why juice, I don't have time to eat that much volume in vegetables a day. I juice veggies and blend fruits, with the exception of the one apple to help sweeten the juice since I also drink it straight. I get plenty of fibre from eating fruits over the course of a day.

All you're missing out on is the fibre from juicing, you're getting all the nutrients. And don't you own a Hurom slow juicer?

sputnik
02-12-2014, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by lint
don't you own a Hurom slow juicer?

Sold it about a month after getting it. Seemed like a good idea at first until you realize how much of your ingredients go to waste. We just couldn't justify the amount of vegetables being used to make a single glass of juice and how much of it went into the compost.

I also don't buy the belief that the nutrients are all in the juice. A good portion of the minerals found in vegetables are not in the juice of the vegetable/fruit but rather in the flesh.

Now we have a Blendtec for smoothies and just eat more vegetables during meals.

TYMSMNY
02-12-2014, 03:11 PM

Also great for making fruit sorbets with the blank plate. We've done banana, cherries, mango, mixed berries, strawberries, all frozen bags from costco aside from the bananas. Kids love it.

All you're missing out on is the fibre from juicing, you're getting all the nutrients.

Great idea on the fruit sorbets. have a whole bunch of frozen fruits for smoothies.

Originally posted by sputnik

I also don't buy the belief that the nutrients are all in the juice. A good portion of the minerals found in vegetables are not in the juice of the vegetable/fruit but rather in the flesh.

Could be, I guess it's more so a supplement than a full meal replacement. I don't think anyone that juices don't eat vegetables normally, just the amount. Then again, the nutrients inside the flesh can be squeezed out, everything else is just skin/fiber.

Smoothies, usually lots of sugars in the juices and if going with milk... well.. i don't think is really good for you either.

lint
02-12-2014, 03:16 PM
your ingredients aren't going to waste. There's plenty of indigestible fibre in the vegetables that your body can't digest and will shit out anyways. Juicing is just throwing the pulp in the garbage vs in the toilet.

jdmXSI
02-12-2014, 03:38 PM
Ive got that Breville that was on Fat, sick and nearly dead and have been using it for about a year or so. I like it because I can have fresh Juice anytime with no other added ingredients like preservitives or sugars and it works out to be a similar cost for making fruit juces.

If I feel like im getting sick i'll throw in 4-5 oranges, 2 lemons and 2 limes.

In the mornings before breakfast i'll throw in 3-4 leaves of kale, 3-4 peices of spinach, 2-3 apples, 2 carrot, 2 beats and a small head of broccolli.

jsn
02-12-2014, 03:46 PM
Good recipes. I just picked up a slow juicer too recently. The only fruit I juice is an apple or two to add sweetness. I'll have to give beets and ginger a try.

I blend fruits instead in smoothies.

supe
02-12-2014, 03:47 PM
your ingredients aren't going to waste. There's plenty of indigestible fibre in the vegetables that your body can't digest and will shit out anyways. Juicing is just throwing the pulp in the garbage vs in the toilet.

Isn't fibre good for you?

lint
02-12-2014, 04:01 PM
As to why juice, I don't have time to eat that much volume in vegetables a day. I juice veggies and blend fruits, with the exception of the one apple to help sweeten the juice since I also drink it straight. I get plenty of fibre from eating fruits over the course of a day.

Originally posted by supe

Ask me again when you've experienced kale shits.

CapnCrunch
02-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by supe

Some fibre is good for you.

Try eating all of this in one sitting

- 1/3 bag of organic baby kale (or 1 bunch of kale)/spinach
- 4 stalks of celery
- 1 lb carrots
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 1/3 cucumber
- 1 head of Romaine lettuce

You'll sh!t so hard your asshole will turn inside out.

TYMSMNY
02-13-2014, 03:29 AM
Actually, there's a few recipes on what to do with the pulp that is left over. Anyone made those fruit leathers? I really liked them as a kid.

I just did one...

Beets (including leaf), Kale, Broccoli, Carrots, and a bit of ginger. BANG!

I find that adding lemon/lime (including rind) makes for a bit of a zing to any juice. Anyone else lol.