PDA

View Full Version : What is used hardwood worth?

Mitsu3000gt
02-12-2014, 02:05 PM
So, as some of you know based on my other thread, my condo flooded again before Christmas. The good news is I am getting entirely new floors, even though the majority of my hardwood was completely undamaged.

What is as-new condition engineered hardwood worth compared to new? Anyone have any idea?

I've got about 700 sq ft of Torlys Everest Elite American Walnut that is good as new (no pets, no scratches, no dings, etc.), that is mine to keep if I remove it myself, rather than let the flooring company rip it out and throw it away. It just clicks together, so it's easily removed and re installed.

Anyone in the flooring/construction industry have an idea of what that might be worth? Maybe $4.00-5.00/sq ft? It costs around $8/Sq ft (installed) new. I just don't have a sense for what something like this is worth compared to new.

blitz
02-12-2014, 03:00 PM
Id say $1-2/sq ft. $8 installed means $4-5 material cost new, and your 700 sq ft probably only leads to 500-600 sq ft when you factor out the cut end boards, and that's not a huge amount to start a new project with.

Mitsu3000gt
02-12-2014, 03:06 PM
Fair enough. I thought it was $1/sq ft to install for some reason, but sounds like I was wrong on that, so the material cost is probably lower than I think. I'm getting the exact same stuff put back in, so I'll find out more on the weekend.

Thanks for the input.

cidley69
02-12-2014, 03:49 PM
How did it stand up to water? Did parts that got set swell up a bunch?

Mitsu3000gt
02-12-2014, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by cidley69
How did it stand up to water? Did parts that got set swell up a bunch?

It actually held up extremely well. Zero swelling as far as I could tell, but the ends "peaked" a bit, and the edges curled a bit, but not nearly to the degree as the solid oak (non-engineered) I had in there last time it flooded. The bottom also has a layer of cork, which I assume soaked up most of the water, and may have prevented the hardwood veneer on top from getting too wet.

Only a small area was affected, which is why I have so much usable hardwood left.

Torlys is a very good product from what I am told. The previous installation company was very high on it, and this new flooring company seems to love it as well. It's made in Belgium.