PDA

View Full Version : I am not afraid of heights, but even this had me nauseous.

spikerS
02-13-2014, 02:49 PM
2 guys from Russia sneak into the construction site of the Shanghai Tower, and scale the damn thing, including the vertical crane at the top. Without safety gear.

This video had my stomach rolling, and normally, heights don't bother me at all!

gLDYtH1RH-U

:eek:

Phihalo
02-13-2014, 03:05 PM
funny you mentioned safety gear as I don't think the chinese workers there would have anything more than a safety hat :rofl: :rofl:

403ep3
02-13-2014, 03:10 PM
screw that.. I'd rather get murdered

syscal
02-13-2014, 03:25 PM
oh :eek: :barf:

Not even with safety equipment and a parachute.

rookie101
02-13-2014, 03:58 PM
Felt anxious near the end on the crane just watching on the computer.....:eek:

Really expected them to base jump off it though, was kind of disappointed. I know seeing the fog they would have to have been nuts, more so than they were, but why else climb it?

wintonyk
02-13-2014, 04:16 PM
my palms are sweating.

adam c
02-13-2014, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by wintonyk
my palms are sweating.

this

revelations
02-13-2014, 05:23 PM
That time lapse they did was incredible.

RX_EVOLV
02-13-2014, 05:25 PM
Surprised that made me nervous too from just watching it on the laptop with no sound at work.

Going to watch it on the big screen and see what that will feel like

corsvette
02-13-2014, 05:27 PM
I had trouble watching that, crazy! :eek:

fiveowed
02-13-2014, 05:43 PM
2A_h2AjJaMw

even with harnesses still :barf:

firebane
02-13-2014, 05:50 PM
Thats pretty cool.

Stuff like this doesn't bother me as I used to work for a suspended staging company and I'd be hanging off the sides of buildings 4-500 feet in the air.

Kloubek
02-13-2014, 08:44 PM
I'd say this is pretty crazy too. Far more opportunity to fall, and equally as sure a death:

Phl82D57P58

MalibuStacy
02-13-2014, 10:41 PM
I was expecting a jump from them too but still... crazy shit

Phl0xed
02-13-2014, 10:53 PM
Almost had to turn these videos off near the end. Haha. Never realized I had a fear of heights like this. Who knew! Haha

Graham_A_M
02-13-2014, 11:14 PM
Wow those guys are fucking nuts. Honestly. For that last bit where it was just a chinese made tube that went up, Id be the most sketched out about going up there. Who knows what could have happened. :nut:

Growing up, I was never scared of heights, until I met a friend who worked security at the Calgary tower. So one night a bunch of us went there, and got liquored up with all the booze they have there (it must have been an awkward convo for him the next day lol, as to why there are numerous bottles of hard liquor missing). We saw TONS of shit that regular people dont get to see. But he opened up the roof, to where the flames come out of. Abso-fucking-lutely NOBODY is allowed up there without full on Fall protection. So here 5 of us are, in suits, dress shoes... and the like. Its a rainy, very windy day...... and here we are on this rusty, shit ladder that takes you to where the flames come up from. I remember being at the VERY top, and from up there? there are no handles, nothing of that sort, just a sloped roof, then the edge to which you'd drop off of if you were to slip and fall. Yeah if you lost your grip on that ladder, it was game over for you. That was seriously it. I just remember hanging off the center pole, my veins were flowing with adrenaline. I had my first ever panic attack, since I knew if I fell, that meant death. Ever since? I've been quite afraid of (un safe/secured) heights. Ive since gotten much better at it, but holy fuck that was a creepy experience being WAY up there. This is just nuts.

No it was super cool being there. At the base of the Calgary Tower is an abandoned train station, last used in the late 60's. It was crazy, sorting through the immigration records of people that came to Calgary 100 years ago. Where they were to live and so on. That whole night was one of the best I've ever had. Interesting, the whole complex was what you'd expect to see with a NYC train station, only ours is TOTALLY abandoned. The thick layer of dust in the huge bathroom proved that.

We went to an abandoned building only accessible from 10th ave, it should be the light blue building adjesent to center street. I think it was abandoned about the same time as the train station. It was weird...... like everybody just picked up and left. There were eye glasses still sitting on open books sitting on desks, pencils on raw drawings of new plans that never happened. Coats still on hangers in every room, it was seriously weird. There was a very thick musk that filled the whole three story building. So thick, you couldn't see a wall that was 3 meters in front of you. The musk was so thick you could choke on it, it was nuts. Super creepy especially at 3am.
Ive got way more stories from that night but I'll save those for some other time.

msommers
02-13-2014, 11:43 PM
^^That's really cool to hear!!

The video was pretty sweet too. The fog just adds to it all!

Kloubek
02-14-2014, 12:00 AM
Here's info on that underground train system that never happened, for those who are interested.

http://www.barp.ca/bus/lrt/calgary/anderson.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7YBZvhVwgk

JustinMCS
02-14-2014, 12:00 AM
That just makes me feel things all over my body I never knew I could feel and that's just me WATCHING.

Kijho
02-14-2014, 08:14 AM
Been watching these guys videos for a while, and some are just nuts. This one is pretty much up there.. (haha get it..) but seriously, when he stands and balances his arms out on the VERY tip.... my hands just sweat.

Honestly hands begin to sweat right now typing this up as I think about it ..
So crazy. It's awesome the things we can get now with gopro's and such.

Lex350
02-14-2014, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Wow those guys are fucking nuts. Honestly. For that last bit where it was just a chinese made tube that went up, Id be the most sketched out about going up there. Who knows what could have happened. :nut:

Growing up, I was never scared of heights, until I met a friend who worked security at the Calgary tower. So one night a bunch of us went there, and got liquored up with all the booze they have there (it must have been an awkward convo for him the next day lol, as to why there are numerous bottles of hard liquor missing). We saw TONS of shit that regular people dont get to see. But he opened up the roof, to where the flames come out of. Abso-fucking-lutely NOBODY is allowed up there without full on Fall protection. So here 5 of us are, in suits, dress shoes... and the like. Its a rainy, very windy day...... and here we are on this rusty, shit ladder that takes you to where the flames come up from. I remember being at the VERY top, and from up there? there are no handles, nothing of that sort, just a sloped roof, then the edge to which you'd drop off of if you were to slip and fall. Yeah if you lost your grip on that ladder, it was game over for you. That was seriously it. I just remember hanging off the center pole, my veins were flowing with adrenaline. I had my first ever panic attack, since I knew if I fell, that meant death. Ever since? I've been quite afraid of (un safe/secured) heights. Ive since gotten much better at it, but holy fuck that was a creepy experience being WAY up there. This is just nuts.

No it was super cool being there. At the base of the Calgary Tower is an abandoned train station, last used in the late 60's. It was crazy, sorting through the immigration records of people that came to Calgary 100 years ago. Where they were to live and so on. That whole night was one of the best I've ever had. Interesting, the whole complex was what you'd expect to see with a NYC train station, only ours is TOTALLY abandoned. The thick layer of dust in the huge bathroom proved that.

We went to an abandoned building only accessible from 10th ave, it should be the light blue building adjesent to center street. I think it was abandoned about the same time as the train station. It was weird...... like everybody just picked up and left. There were eye glasses still sitting on open books sitting on desks, pencils on raw drawings of new plans that never happened. Coats still on hangers in every room, it was seriously weird. There was a very thick musk that filled the whole three story building. So thick, you couldn't see a wall that was 3 meters in front of you. The musk was so thick you could choke on it, it was nuts. Super creepy especially at 3am.
Ive got way more stories from that night but I'll save those for some other time.

Very cool!.

I worked as a bus-boy at the tower in 1980. Although my exploration of the tower isn't quite as extensive as yours, I did see quite a bit of cool things most people never see.

SlickA70
02-14-2014, 11:55 AM
Well I just puked :barf:.

n1zm0
02-14-2014, 12:08 PM
Meanwhile at GoPro's Marketing headquarters...

http://i.imgur.com/jhdKf.gif

max_boost
02-14-2014, 12:31 PM
That's insane. They are so chill about the process. Unreal.

And now they have to get down too. :nut: :dunno:

flipstah
02-14-2014, 12:48 PM
Fuck me. The clouds.... :eek:

psi_klops
02-14-2014, 04:10 PM
The high five at the end":eek:
...."high five! Psych!"
Other guy " Yeah..what?.... Ahhhhh!)
"Oops"

Graham_A_M
02-15-2014, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by rotten42

Very cool!.

I worked as a bus-boy at the tower in 1980. Although my exploration of the tower isn't quite as extensive as yours, I did see quite a bit of cool things most people never see.
Wow you got some years on me lol. I was born in '82 hahaha.
What was really cool is going into the shaft outside of the elevators, they have these huge speakers there now fully decommissioned. I'll bet nobody remembers that they used to play music from the tower in the late 80's. It came from the speakers they have sitting there. Now these big 5-6' speakers are just in a cargo area they have in the main shaft area, outside of public view from the stairs and everything else.

That building that I spoke of, if you're ever on 10th ave, just south of the Calgary Tower, its that two or three story blue building thats locked up. Adjacent to it is the entrance to the train station thats on the ground level, then right below it. No that train station was definitely something to see. It was built a VERY long time ago, then renovated extensively, until its final decommission. Its surprisingly big and comprehensive. It was odd, being in this big underground complex thats entirely unknown, and unused today. I'll bet the vast majority of Calgarians know absolutely nothing about it.

Right below 8th ave/Stephen ave, is the old underground train lines. Starting in the late 70's, they planned on having a typical subway network. So there is numerous train stations down there, and everything else. Ticket kiosks, everything is all down there. However, they were (IIRC) Three times over budget to continue on, so city hall called halt to that project, then they just started fresh in the mid to late 80's, to build the C train above ground on 7th ave instead. To this day, all these numerous train stations lay abandoned, and access to them is next to impossible. There are a couple well hidden and secured entrances down to them, but only a few city officials to this day know of them.

Which is really too bad, since with the 7th ave C train, that screws us over enormously. I really wish they'd recommission the subway network that they chose to abandon.

nzwasp
02-16-2014, 09:56 PM
I wonder if the train station flooded in june.