PDA

View Full Version : Residential to Commercial Zoning

max_boost
02-13-2014, 09:08 PM
So back in 2005 my parents picked up a tri-plex in Tuxedo. It's right on 17th Ave NW and west of Center Street. So it turns out that Cushman & Wakefield bought out the entire row of homes across the street from us and is building some sort of 'medical mall', live/work concept.

http://matrix.cwcanada.com/asp/filecabinet/Trans/352692/112_130_17th_Avenue_NW_Tabloid_Brochure_Jan_2013.pdf

So really curious as I don't know how it'll affect our property value but we were thinking of turning our front unit with the big windows facing the main street into commercial instead of residential, yield higher rents??? I mean it can be anything from a hair salon to insurance etc. but that would require re-zoning???

Has anyone been through this process and can point me in the right direction?

max_boost
02-13-2014, 09:11 PM

max_boost
02-13-2014, 09:17 PM

jacky4566
02-13-2014, 09:34 PM
117 17 AV NW
C-COR1 Commercial - Corridor 1

I work with Land Use Bylaw all day for a different municipality but from my understanding of Calgary.

Looking at 777(2) there are various uses that are permitted. These are uses permitted within existing buildings. Permitted means the city cant say no but they can place conditions on the development.

To list a few:

Financial Institution;
Fitness Centre;
Health Services Laboratory – With Clients;
Home Occupation – Class 1;
Information and Service Provider;
Museum;
Office;
Pet Care Service;
Print Centre;
Radio and Television Studio;
Retail and Consumer Service;
Specialty Food Store;
Veterinary Clinic.

Then there is a large list of Discretionary uses. Uses you can apply to have with thier permission.

In Conclusion id say it would be permissible but could be tricky with building code being a present residential.

max_boost
02-13-2014, 09:42 PM
We are 115 17 Ave, 117 would be the vacant lot beside us next to the power station. Not exactly sure who owns it or what their plans are.

This is really just prelim and seeing realistically what our options are. We can continue to rent it as residential but if commercial is just some paper shuffling and yield significant more rent, then why not?! :dunno:

Each of the units are two storey, about 1100sq.ft, 2br, 1.5bth with basement. The front unit makes sense to use as commercial, main street, big windows. We would keep the second and third unit as residential rentals.

TomcoPDR
02-13-2014, 11:15 PM
Peking Peking massage studio

Nufy
02-13-2014, 11:23 PM
Say goodbye to any street parking you used to have

roll_over
02-13-2014, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Nufy
Say goodbye to any street parking you used to have

Got me thinking why don't you convert it to a parking lot
:hijack:

TomcoPDR
02-17-2014, 06:02 PM
What have you decided to do? Will you demolish the entire triplex and then rebuild to maximize the lot size? Have you asked what Beyond real estate gurus think?

cloud7
02-18-2014, 02:39 PM
Looks like the whole block is C-COR1, see below:

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/DBA/Documents/lud_section_maps/1p2007/27C.pdf

so you don't need a Land Use Amendment to do things listed under the C-COR1 land use.