PDA

View Full Version : Ok to drive or get insurance rental?

ZEDGE
02-15-2014, 01:20 PM
Need some advice.

My car was hit outside the front of the house last night. Was woke up by the police calling me at 430am. Who ever hit it and my neighbors car fled the scene leaving their car there. Hit and run.

Second time this has happened to me, last time was about 5 years ago and that car was written off.

Since its the long weekend I can't do shit till Tuesday. I called the insurance and put a claim in. He said I could call Enterprise if I need a rental.

Here is the damage.

Bumper is rubbing on tire, light completely hanging off.

http://i.imgur.com/L4GyceO.jpg

I am worried if I get a rental and then on Tuesday the insurance says its drive able I may get stuck with the rental cost. Although being a long weekend I may sol even getting one. Enterprise has no cars but they are trying to find me one.

Anyway, what do you think?

spikerS
02-15-2014, 01:30 PM
if the bumper or fender is rubbing the tire, then it is not driveable because it is now creating a safety hazard, never mind not having a signal or brake light.

Rental it up.

guessboi
02-15-2014, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by spikers
if the bumper or fender is rubbing the tire, then it is not driveable because it is now creating a safety hazard, never mind not having a signal or brake light.

Rental it up.

+1. bad start for a long weekend bro.
You might want to check your policy to see if you need to pay your collision deducible for a hit and run claim.

Blue
02-15-2014, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by spikers

Rental it up.

this, happen to my car back in summer. Hit n run infront of my house. Just insurance it up and rental it.

carson blocks
02-15-2014, 01:50 PM
Rental. Even if you end up being on the hook for a couple days rental at $30. Don't take a chance with yours or someone else's safety just to save less than a hundred bucks.

ZEDGE
02-15-2014, 02:02 PM
Thanks guys! I figured but its good to hear from others. :thumbsup:

Now hopefully Enterprise can find me a car..lol

ddduke
02-15-2014, 02:21 PM
I'd get a rental if I needed a car but from my experience some insurance companies may try to fuck you anyways.

I had no brake or signal light on the right, no passenger side mirror and a fist sized hole in my windshield and they still refused to give me a rental because I didn't have windshield coverage. I battled with them for months and no matter what I did they refused to give me shit. BTW this was with Johnson inc.

ZEDGE
02-15-2014, 03:00 PM
I'm with Co-operators. They have been pretty good in the past so hopefully its all good.

ZEDGE
03-27-2014, 07:56 PM
Got my car back today. Not sure why I didn't think to ask here for body shop recommendations. Sigh.. Anyway I had it fixed at CMP. Not entirely pleased at the moment. When I went to pick up the car today as soon as I opened the door I could see dust/dirt all over the seats and the car. Looked like someone half assed cleaned it or just didnt care. The trunk does not close like it used to, seems like its off maybe, have to almost slam it. The bottom of the back seat is not flush with the back of the seat, there is a gap on the passenger side, not sure how to explain this. The bottom is a separate piece from the back, it was flush and tight before. I went back in to talk to someone, they took it back in and cleaned it again, also said they checked the seat and its on how it should be. So they must have damaged it or something.. Car is still not that clean, dust in every crevice on seats etc, will have to do it myself properly when the weather is better. It was like show room condition before they got it. Also noticed when I got home they did not put the plastic strip that runs along the rear door sill. I gather its to prevent it being scratched etc from getting in and out of the car. Driver side has it. Few other things bother me but thats enough for now. My OCD is in overdrive. Going back tomorrow to show them.

Also had to spend $200 extra on the rental I had as I exceeded my insurance limit. Not sure if I will be reimbursed yet.

:banghead: :banghead:

This whole experience has sucked. All because of some idiot who does not know how to drive. Car hasn't even had its first oil change yet..

/rant

Was wondering how much this has depreciated my car? Damage was about $8500.

dtrieu
03-27-2014, 08:10 PM
See the initial quote on the body shop for the estimated time for finish the repairs, if they were behind schedule due to parts delay/more damage than anticipated/or just slow, the insurance company will make them pay the bill or they'll just cover it for you.

I'd talk to your insurance adjustor about repairs not living up to expectations and see what they can do for you.

And if the body shop has to take you car back in for whatever reason, make them pay for a rental car or have them supply you with a loaner.

ZEDGE
03-27-2014, 08:21 PM
I notice on the invoice it says "R.O. Opened" Feb 21, 2014, "Promised" Mar 14, 2014. Original quote says repair should take 17 calendar days. Definetly not on time.

Masked Bandit
03-28-2014, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by ZEDGE
I notice on the invoice it says "R.O. Opened" Feb 21, 2014, "Promised" Mar 14, 2014. Original quote says repair should take 17 calendar days. Definetly not on time.

Who are you insured with? Generally speaking if the delay is the fault of the shop your adjuster should be able to simply charge the rental overage to CMP.

ZEDGE
03-28-2014, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Who are you insured with? Generally speaking if the delay is the fault of the shop your adjuster should be able to simply charge the rental overage to CMP.

Cooperators. I emailed my adjuster about that to see.

Just spent an hour and a half cleaning the interior of the car properly. :rolleyes: