PDA

View Full Version : Anyone weld a nut on a plug for me?

msommers
02-15-2014, 02:58 PM
Drain plug on my front diff is stripped to shit after trying various methods to get it out. Seems like welding a nut on is the next step.

Anyone here have a welder to do this, or know a shop that would be able to help me out?

Graham_A_M
02-16-2014, 12:59 PM
Call up any metal Fab shop on Tuesday, most can do this for you.

Or on here, Perhaps PM Spikers or SR20LenskiDET or whatever his user name is.

Err, Nevermind, this guy. http://forums.beyond.ca/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=44060

sr20s14zenki
02-16-2014, 01:00 PM
Haha if you wanna bring it by during the week, maybe wed or thurs ill see what i can do. Is it a steel plug? Easily accessible?

And jesus christ Graham, thats the worst slaughtering ive ever seen of my handle haha.

AE92_TreunoSC
02-16-2014, 01:03 PM
If its your runner you'd best to chisel it loose. I use an air chisel on them. You create an indent, then walk the indent around. I have 100% success rate and most Toyota dealerships carry the plug in stock because of the rate of seizing. I replace one a month at my dealership.

I'd help you if I had a strong enough compressor for my chisel haha. I haven't had much luck doing it by hand yet.

I've broken snap on ratchets on those plugs, so I think even if you welded a nut it still won't move depending on how seized it is. The vibrations from the chisel usually help the most.

Graham_A_M
02-16-2014, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Haha if you wanna bring it by during the week, maybe wed or thurs ill see what i can do. Is it a steel plug? Easily accessible?

And jesus christ Graham, thats the worst slaughtering ive ever seen of my handle haha.

This man speaks the truth, that was epically bad. :rofl:

For some odd reason I was thinking of that famous guy on here, RB20DET or whatever it was, he doesn't post any more, so I totally fucked that one up. :rofl:

msommers
02-16-2014, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

Yeah it's quite accessible as I still have the skid plate off. I think it is a steel plug but honestly I'm not 100% - I've already bought a replacement plug so you can take a look at it first.

Wednesday would be ideal, I'll be around anytime. PM when a time and your shop address, and cost. Cheers.

Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
If its your runner you'd best to chisel it loose. I use an air chisel on them. You create an indent, then walk the indent around. I have 100% success rate and most Toyota dealerships carry the plug in stock because of the rate of seizing. I replace one a month at my dealership.

I'd help you if I had a strong enough compressor for my chisel haha. I haven't had much luck doing it by hand yet.

I've broken snap on ratchets on those plugs, so I think even if you welded a nut it still won't move depending on how seized it is. The vibrations from the chisel usually help the most.

I was hoping a breaker bar I have would be sufficient once the nut was welded on there. I saw on the 4R forums guys talking about using a chisel but I can picture myself bashing the shit out of the diff case by accident and totally screwing it up lol.

msommers
04-10-2020, 02:15 AM
Stripped this stupid fucking allen drain plug again. Urgg fucking Toyota.

Could I hassle anyone to weld a nut onto the plug? It's not urgent.

Tik-Tok
04-10-2020, 08:14 AM
Weld a cheap socket to it, it'll never strip again

firebane
04-10-2020, 08:25 AM
Stripped this stupid fucking allen drain plug again. Urgg fucking Toyota.

Could I hassle anyone to weld a nut onto the plug? It's not urgent.

What is your schedule like?