PDA

View Full Version : Beef ribs

speedog
02-17-2014, 01:14 PM
Was in the NE Real Canadian Wholesale Club store on Saturday morning and spied vacuum sealed packs of 8-10" long beef ribs in their meat section for a good price - these were fabulous looking ribs with probably 2" of meat on them and they reminded me of the big meaty beef ribs you used to be able to get at RJ's Rib Joint back in the 80's in Calgary (only you old timers will remember this place and it's wonderful beef ribs). These ribs do not appear to be back ribs and instead appear to be long cut short ribs (English cut) by the appearance of the meat that is on them - too much meat for a back rib.

Now my wife can do up a wonderful roasting pan of pork back ribs and the family absolutely loves them, but doing up these big meaty beef ribs will no doubt call for a bit different preparation. One thing I would do is cut them down to 4-5" lengths just because of the amount of meat on them - a single 8-10" bone would have an amazing amount of meat on it and the cut-down sizes would be more practical and manageable. Also have to wait until the wrestling season is done because several in the family are being mindful of weight classes in upcoming tournaments and it's not fair to them to present something that will be so delicious.

So to any of you beyond cooks/barbequers - what ideas/suggestions would you have for these beef ribs?

speedog
02-17-2014, 01:25 PM
What the rib slabs look like...
http://www.countryvalley.co.uk/images/grand-reserve-english-beef-short-ribs-p44-75_zoom.jpg

ercchry
02-17-2014, 01:38 PM
low and slow... beef ribs can be super tough, they are also pretty rich so i'd do a dry rub, probably mesquite or hickory wood for the smoke and cook them down for a while at 200-250F on the bbq/smoker (if i'd have to guess i'd say 3-4hrs depending on full slab weight

i'd also cook them as a whole slab... you will probably get some decent shrinkage and a 8" bone isnt that hard to handle (thats what she said!)

BigDL
02-17-2014, 01:58 PM
Humm I will have to go there and pick some up.

Last time i bought beef short ribs, they were pre cut into like 2" pieces and I braised them. That is my non bbq method for these guys. I did it simply with carrots, celery, onion and a bottle of red wine.

speedog
02-17-2014, 02:03 PM
$11 a kilo if I remember correctly - packs were quite generously sized, $60-80 each.

theken
02-17-2014, 02:06 PM
I don't care for beef ribs at all just personal preference. Last time I cooked them I smoked them for 5 hours at 220 they came out perfect but I just would rather a nice set of pork

cancer man
02-17-2014, 11:25 PM
Grill mark them and use a crock pot smothered in bbq sauce of choice.
Slow cook for 10 hrs.

dirtsniffer
02-17-2014, 11:55 PM
I haven't really ever bbq'd so I can't help there but usually for beef ribs I bake them in the oven at 300 for a couple hours the. Finish them up on the grill with some sauce.

I've never seen ribs like that though. :drool:

finboy
02-18-2014, 12:22 AM
Azeka hawaii style beef ribs, marinated for 4 days, massaged twice a day and cooked on low heat on the BBQ

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/522330