PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Bands

npham
02-17-2014, 06:19 PM
For those of you who wear their wedding bands and have a brushed or satin finishing to it, how does it wear? Specially with 18 carat white gold or platinum? I'm getting a few different stories.

Darell_n
02-17-2014, 07:31 PM
The centre of my wedding band is brushed. It's tungsten carbine so it doesn't wear, the world wears around it. Gold or platinum will mark with time, not much one can do about that. Maybe consider a hammered finish. It will get more hammered and not be noticeable, especially if you work with your hands.

ExtraSlow
02-17-2014, 09:41 PM
My stainless band has gotten some scratches on it over the last six years. Anything softer like gold will show some marks for sure. Tungsten is a good option, but honestly, who cares if it has some marks. So will your marriage dude.

CompletelyNumb
02-17-2014, 09:59 PM
I have a tungsten wedding band that I've worn pretty much 24/7 for the last 7 years, and it's got plenty of signs of wear. I don't believe there's any deep scratches, but the finish has worn and there are noticeable marks/stains. If it were gold, I don't think it would have held up at all.

So I guess it depends how hard on it you are.

Darell_n
02-17-2014, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
I have a tungsten wedding band that I've worn pretty much 24/7 for the last 7 years, and it's got plenty of signs of wear. I don't believe there's any deep scratches, but the finish has worn and there are noticeable marks/stains. If it were gold, I don't think it would have held up at all.

So I guess it depends how hard on it you are.

That seems strange, does it have some sort of clear finish on it? I wear mine 24/7 and work with large hand tools, welding, grinding, various abrasives and harsh chemicals, regularly remove other metals from the grooves in the ring and the polished edges are still like a mirror after 4 years. I actually use it for extra grip as it tends to bite into other metals with the 'tire tread' style design.

Sugarphreak
02-17-2014, 10:43 PM

npham
02-18-2014, 12:30 AM
I know it will wear, but there was a high end retailer claiming it will wear like shit, so they don't do it anymore. But then other companies are still doing it. In the end, I'll just get something we like and know it's going to get fucked up sooner or later.

snowcat
02-18-2014, 12:32 AM
Which retailer?

You can reapply the finish after it wears. No big deal.

Justing
02-18-2014, 09:42 AM
Gold and platinum will both scratch and and scuff with daily wear. There isn't too much you can do to avoid it, but like snowcat said you can have the the ring refinished if you like.
It's odd that a store would stop dealing with gold and platinum bands all together. They are the more traditional metals and most popular by far.

codetrap
02-18-2014, 09:46 AM
Meh, I don't wear my nice wedding band except for special occasions. I wear my $70 titanium ring I bought from Walmart instead. Pretty much indestructible, and it matches my watch. :)

npham
02-18-2014, 12:10 PM
Oh, I was referring to the brushed/satin finish.

It was at Tiffany's where they said they don't make any men's wedding bands that have the brushed/satin finishes anymore because of how it looks when it wears.

However at Birks they had quite a few in this style and never mentioned that it wears like shit.

But regardless of what Tiffany's said, I think I'm leaning towards a band without that finish.

benyl
02-18-2014, 12:17 PM
I've got polished platnium. It isn't polished anymore. I don't really care as I like it all beat up.

White gold will turn yellow after all the rhodium plating wears off. If you like the "white" look, get platium or palladium.

npham
02-18-2014, 01:09 PM
Yea, it's looking like a platinum ring for me as I'm pretty hard my clothes, equipment, stuff, etc.

Unknown303
02-18-2014, 01:48 PM
I had a white gold band with a polished finish. It wore a fair bit over the last two years. But it's somewhere in front of my house currently... haven't found it yet..

npham
02-18-2014, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
I had a white gold band with a polished finish. It wore a fair bit over the last two years. But it's somewhere in front of my house currently... haven't found it yet..

If you ever find it, take a pic for me. I'd be very interested in seeing the wear.

Unknown303
02-18-2014, 05:12 PM
It's definitely going to be a big if.. I'm pretty sure i know where it is, but there's a lot of packed down snow/ice over it still, so fingers crossed it shows up in the spring.

codetrap
02-20-2014, 11:58 AM
It's definitely going to be a big if.. I'm pretty sure i know where it is, but there's a lot of packed down snow/ice over it still, so fingers crossed it shows up in the spring. Dropped it putting your ring back on when you get home late? Giggetty!

Mibz
02-20-2014, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by benyl
I've got polished platnium. It isn't polished anymore. I don't really care as I like it all beat up. Yup. I've got a brushed band in the middle and polished on the sides. The polished bits still look polished-ish but the ring was refinished recently after it had some work done. The entire ring does show wear, but it doesn't look like shit. It looks worn, and I like it.

Unknown303
02-20-2014, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Dropped it putting your ring back on when you get home late? Giggetty!

It's a pretty big ring so I took it off while chipping ice in front of the house. The damn thing went rogue from my pocket at some point that day.

bleu
02-21-2014, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by benyl
I've got polished platnium. It isn't polished anymore. I don't really care as I like it all beat up.

White gold will turn yellow after all the rhodium plating wears off. If you like the "white" look, get platium or palladium.

My husband has a polished platinum band and it has lost its polish. I like it this way, it makes it 'his.'

It doesnt look bad at all, if he wants to get it polished he can.

EK69
02-21-2014, 08:58 AM
If u get their product care plan most places will do the rhodium plating free I believe for life? Have yet to test it but something to look into

mikestypes
02-22-2014, 10:18 AM
I had a brushed Tungsten Carbide band originally, but found it too heavy. It did not mark at all though. I got an identical titanium band that is a third the weight and love it. It does show wear on the brushed and polished surfaces which I consider a nice patina. If I ever wanted to replace it, $80 is all it takes for new.

Paying big $ for my ring seemed stupid so when I was getting the wife's ring I spent extra knowing that my band would be minimal cost.

bignerd
02-27-2014, 07:56 PM
I know yellow gold is not so popular anymore however I love the patina it gets after it has been worn for many years, especially on wider bands. Just has a soft rich look it it and never needs replating.

CompletelyNumb
02-27-2014, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by mikestypes
I had a brushed Tungsten Carbide band originally, but found it too heavy.

Oddly the extreme weight is what sold me on mine. Rigger hands. Felt weird having a light ring on.

Mibz
02-27-2014, 08:25 PM
I like having a heavy ring as well. Means I notice if it starts slipping off in the cold or something.

colinderksen
03-01-2014, 09:41 AM
I have a black titanium David Yurman wedding ring. It seems to be holding up quite well.

jitendrasingh
08-01-2014, 12:35 AM
We cannot actually do much with the scratches we get on the bands. The best way to hide the scratches will be to wear a hammered finish band. If you work with hands, this kind of finish won't let the scratches being noticed by the onlookers very easily.

A790
08-01-2014, 11:51 AM

It's a pretty big ring so I took it off while chipping ice in front of the house. The damn thing went rogue from my pocket at some point that day.
Did you ever find it? :)