PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Sierra or 2014 Tundra

pyro
02-17-2014, 07:20 PM
Looking at getting a new truck this summer and can't decide between the two. I know the Tundra is overall a better build quality and holds its value but I'm I'm not sold on the interior dash, center console or the front end. The new Sierra has lots of new features they added and I like the design but i have been reading about multiple issues that some guys are having and how little light the new headlights actually put out. I have test driven both for a short period of time and both trucks have there good points. I am more GMC biased since that is what I have growin up with and I can get cost+2%.
I'm looking at the 5.3L crew cab Sierra as the double does not feel big enough and the 5.7Ldouble Tundra as it seems like the perfect size.
Anybody own either truck? What are your thoughts so far?

pyro
02-17-2014, 07:25 PM
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=2014+sierra+crew+black&source=images&cd=&docid=5Vf-FsHL8RMqmM&tbnid=zPJb4W8-cv2L0M:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.conceptcarz.com%2Fz22291%2FGMC-Sierra.aspx&ei=ercCU7LwCaG4yQGF2YCwAw&psig=AFQjCNHs8-Kzm_SM4xrigEnwLJTlw3RVDA&ust=1392772951431755

AE92_TreunoSC
02-17-2014, 09:26 PM
I agree with you on your points. I LOVED the dash in the Sierra, 3 usb and an inverter!? With device holder! Awesome! Plus a built in trailer brake system is a huge plus over the Tundra.

I personally don't like the new Tundra unless its the Platinum, which has a paint match grill which tones down the chrome all over the truck.

As for resale a Tundra will do you well in a few years, a Sierra will plummet.

I'd personally lease one or the other and not stress about my choice :D

ExtraSlow
02-17-2014, 09:37 PM
I'm a ford guy, but if you don't like the fords, I would say take the GMC. Trucks are one thing that GM does very well.

Dumbass17
02-17-2014, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by pyro
Looking at getting a new truck this summer and can't decide between the two. I know the Tundra is overall a better build quality and holds its value but I'm I'm not sold on the interior dash, center console or the front end. The new Sierra has lots of new features they added and I like the design but i have been reading about multiple issues that some guys are having and how little light the new headlights actually put out. I have test driven both for a short period of time and both trucks have there good points. I am more GMC biased since that is what I have growin up with and I can get cost+2%.
I'm looking at the 5.3L crew cab Sierra as the double does not feel big enough and the 5.7Ldouble Tundra as it seems like the perfect size.
Anybody own either truck? What are your thoughts so far?
The point you made about not being sold on the centre dash for the Tundra, keep that in mind. You will be driving this truck probably every day and you don't want to crawl into the drivers seat and think 'man i do not like this interior'. I think that is a solid piont to make.
And not that this will help you, but definitely get a quad cab. I had a 2007 GMC Sierra fresh off the lot but it was only extended cab with the rear doors that opened 180deg. It was nice, but then I had a 2013 Dodge Quad cab and I will never ever get another truck that isn't quad cab. They are just so handy. Anyways, good luck with the decision. That's not an easy one, wish I could be more helpful

FraserB
02-17-2014, 10:06 PM
I'd go GMC, but wait a year and get a 2015 once the little issues are sorted with the complete redesign they just did.

spikerS
02-17-2014, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I'm a ford guy, but if you don't like the fords, I would say take the GMC. Trucks are one thing that GM does very well.

+1

The Tundras are WAY overpriced for what they are.

CompletelyNumb
02-17-2014, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by spikers

+1

The Tundras are WAY overpriced for what they are.

+2

The Sierra is a superior truck for the money, IMO. I've driven it, liked it a lot.

Ukyo8
02-17-2014, 10:37 PM
The F150 is superior in most areas, and once the 2015's come out it will blow everybody else out of the water... as usual.

Flame suit on :D

vengie
02-17-2014, 10:59 PM
For a truck, I'd stay within the big 3.

Graham_A_M
02-17-2014, 11:05 PM
GMC/Chevy all the way. No about a year ago we needed a new work truck for the farm, my bro tested the new Tundra and he was grossly disappointed on every possible level, it rolled like it was on marshmallows while in the turns, and felt very un-truck-like in a variety of ways. We tested the Silverado, and that felt very solid, very well built... and that it could actually do that one thing you needed a truck to do..... work. We load up ours well past 3/4 ton (meaning well over 1 ton), and it just deals with it, all of zero fucks are given, seriously.

So we bought a Silverado 2500 HD, and never looked back, I just wish to GOD that we got that Duramax. That engine is beyond words amazing, just power for days and brilliant fuel economy. When I rented a fairly new one (at the time, this summer) 2012 Denali crew cab 2500 Duramax, I was towing a truck on a trailer, up hill through BC, and it honestly didn't even know it was pulling anything. I was passing people uphill doing 130kph, pulling a truck ON a trailer, and it was like I wasn't towing anything at all. All in all the 1300km trip with it? consumed all of $180-200 in diesel. Half of that was pulling a truck up from the states through the BC mountains. Our gasser 3/4 ton has trouble properly pulling a 14k pound GVW gooseneck trailer, it likes to stay in the lower gears since it cant upshift far enough to get somewhat decent fuel economy.

Our 6.0 gas is quite thirsty, and seriously lacks the power that the Duramax has just copious amounts of. All in all that same trip would have cost me about $500+ in fuel. So the Duramax pays for itself quite quickly. I know our truck would have been struggling the WHOLE time and just DRINKING gas like no tomorrow. The best fuel economy we get with ours is 15.5L/100kms on the highway, which is horseshit.
So get a 3/4 ton or bigger with the Duramax, and you'll be extremely happy. For that whole trip? I have doubts on to whether the Tundra would be up to such as task, since the biggest load Ive yet to see a Tundra haul is about half of what I was hauling, with either our 6.0 gasser or the Denali w/duramax.

Like the Tundra's & Titan's, their cute if you want a truck without actually NEEDING one, but if you want power, reliability and usability, Stick to GM, or at least the big three NA brands.
Ford (non diesels) are decent,
GM, both diesel & non-diesel are decent depending on your needs
Dodge, both diesel and non-diesel are decent, again depending on your needs and plans. It just comes down to what you want most..... but I'd personally pick GM long before anything Dodge, or even Ford as a close second.

whiteout
02-18-2014, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Ukyo8
The F150 is superior in most areas, and once the 2015's come out it will blow everybody else out of the water... as usual.

Flame suit on :D

Want to elaborate on why?

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-18-2014, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by whiteout

Want to elaborate on why?

He works sales for Ford I am pretty sure, that's why :P

firebane
02-18-2014, 08:58 AM
Toyota trucks.. For the boys who think they are all outdoorsy and enjoy camping.

klumsy_tumbler
02-18-2014, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Like the Tundra's & Titan's, their cute if you want a truck without actually NEEDING one, but if you want power, reliability and usability, Stick to GM, or at least the big three NA brands.

I disagree.

Toyota does not add all of the "bells and whistles" that other brands do, but what they lack in gimmicks they MORE than make up for in build quality and reliability. My parents own a 2007 Tundra, and that thing has never had any issues. My neighbours, however, own a 2010 Sierra, and that thing has been nothing but grief for them. Granted, how you take care of your vehicle makes a huge difference, but still.

delco21
02-18-2014, 09:59 AM
Its gotta be the GMC.

They are building fantastic new trucks with great features and amazing value. The truck out performs its competition and the 2014 Silverado won north American truck of the year.

ExtraSlow
02-18-2014, 10:34 AM
Those Truck of the year things are useless. They go to the company that buys the most advertising.

GM makes a great truck, but that award means nothing.

corsvette
02-18-2014, 11:21 AM
Dad in law has a 2014 Sierra SLT, very very nice truck. Getting pretty decent mileage with it too. I'd opt for the 6.2 V8 as all I've read says they get very close f/e numbers to the 5.3. While I'm sure the Tundra is nice....the front end styling is enough for me no to buy one.

SkiBum5.0
02-18-2014, 03:20 PM
I'd go GMC as the Tundra just doesn't have enough for the money. It doesn't pull better, gets terrible fuel mileage and resale won't be nearly as strong in a few years because they are due to launch a new one (the current one was just a refresh of the styling).

78si
02-18-2014, 03:33 PM
Can't wait till toyota and nissan get their diesels into production. Till then I'm happy with my 08 tundra. Check out the Tundra TRD pro (not quite a raptor).
http://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/trdpro.html

rx7_turbo2
02-18-2014, 07:42 PM
The current Tundra is getting pretty long in the tooth, well actually that's an understatement. I owned an 08 and currently own an 11. Both were/are great trucks for what I needed/need. However even with the current refresh the Tundra is an old truck, a lot has changed since 08. There's a plethora of different trucks, engine options etc now. When it comes time to replace my 11 tundra, which isn't far away I'll be shopping around, something I didn't do when I replaced my 08.

pyro
02-18-2014, 08:50 PM
Thanks for all the reply's makes this decision pretty easy. The sales manager said I could take a new one for a weekend and see how I like it, so I'll try it out and go from there. Really curious on the headlights and how they perform at night as I have heard mixed reviews.

BokCh0y
02-18-2014, 10:52 PM
I'm a Toyota fan boy, no doubt about it. Meh with the new front end of the Tundra, but love the rear. Interior is good to me too.

But....

RX7_turbo is right. The Tundra is getting to be a real outdated truck...time for a change.

Also I saw the new Sierra today riding my ass. The front end is SEX.

The improvements over the last 3+ years done to the Sierra and the Ford F150 is night and day. Like I said...I am a Toyota fan boy, but I would by a Sierra before the Tundra.

Graham_A_M
02-18-2014, 11:50 PM
EDIT

Dumbass17
02-21-2014, 03:26 PM
I just sat in a Tundra for the first time.
It felt like a truck from the mid 2000s, very outdated, bland and boring.
I didn't care for it at all.

let us know what you get / post pics

roopi
03-11-2014, 06:34 PM
Did you end up going with the GMC? I'm looking at getting one as well and I'd like some feedback if you did.

pyro
03-11-2014, 08:22 PM
Yes I ended up with the sierra, picking it up next week. Just if you end up getting one make sure it has a 2014 build date, read that alot of the new ones that first came had out extensive issues. Even the ones now had some minor programming recalls but nothing to serious. Can't wait to get it!

roopi
03-11-2014, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the info.

If anyone has a recommendation on a dealer/salesperson let me know. I'm looking to buy two Sierras within the next month.

FraserB
03-11-2014, 10:03 PM
Delco21 on here.

roopi
03-11-2014, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Delco21 on here.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

VWEvo
03-12-2014, 09:32 AM
In the last 4 years Ive owned a Tundra, GMC and now a Ford F150.

Best truck overall was the Tundra. However if value is considered in the equation then the Ford is the best. The GMC was nice but the Ford is definitely better.

SuperFlyOrDie
03-13-2014, 07:37 AM
I picked up one of the first 2014 Sierra's
Went with the SLT All Terrain package, 5.3L
Never had an issue with it.
Tundra has hardly been updated in a very long time, although I considered it as well.
The headlights on the new Sierra are the only negative I can think of. Not that they're bad per se, they are a projector housing with regular halogen bulbs. Have a sharp cut off line. I think they would be alot better with HID's in there.
Other than that the new Sierra's kick ass. You def made the right decision.

pyro
03-20-2014, 03:48 PM
Finally got the truck! If anyone is thinking/planning on buying a Sierra, PM me if you would like. So far I have no complaints about it.
I always hear horror stories from people buying new vehicles at dealerships. I bought mine from DavisChev in Airdrie and have zero complaints they did an awesome job of getting exactly what I was looking for and never felt pressured at any point. Everyone was extremely nice that I dealt with and made the whole experience stress free and easy.

corsvette
03-20-2014, 03:52 PM
Sweeet! I love the all terrain package, did you get the 5.3 or 6.2L?

firebane
03-20-2014, 03:56 PM
I like the looks of the new GMCs but dear god what did they do to the headlights.. They look just so weird. Totally detracts from the front of the truck

pyro
03-20-2014, 04:00 PM
I got the 5.3 and added AFE intake and magnaflow exhaust. I love the look of the Sierra headlights! Don't feel the same about the new Silverados though.

bjstare
03-20-2014, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by firebane
I like the looks of the new GMCs but dear god what did they do to the headlights.. They look just so weird. Totally detracts from the front of the truck

Not nearly as much as the new Chev, those are hideous.

Great trucks still, but the Chev has the worst headlights out of all the trucks right now IMO.