PDA

View Full Version : Unblock-Us. No US Netflix access on my smart tv.

Seth1968
02-19-2014, 09:36 AM
It works fine on my laptop, but the tv still shows Canadian Netflix content.

Unblock's support was great, but basically said that their service doesn't work on some smart tv's. Anyone else have this issue?

So my next step is to get a router that allows me to change the dns, or find a hack that allows me to change it on my Telus (Actiontec) router.

pheoxs
02-19-2014, 09:53 AM
Your best bet is the router method and then all your devices are covered. Otherwise search up your TV's model number and see if you can find a thread on a forum where someone figured it out.

variance
02-19-2014, 09:58 AM
If its a Sony Smart TV, you may need to redo the setup of your TV and select USA as the region instead of Canada. Then put in the US DNS servers and that might work for you.

Seth1968
02-19-2014, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the replies.

No luck on Googlin' the tv.

Good idea on changing the region. If that doesn't work, I'll try to find a router hack to change the dns, or get a different router.

I'm just not getting why it doesn't work. I mean, I took the settings from the networks "Auto" configuration right off the tv. I then switched it to manual and changed the Primary DNS to 208.122.23.23, and the Secondary to 208.122.23.22. So since it's using those DNS's, it should be working. Perhaps the region setting is overriding it. I'll check it out later.

Seth1968
02-19-2014, 10:41 AM
Another possibility for those with this issue:

http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/questions/2553873-setting-up-actiontec-v1-hwith-telus-firmware

n1zm0
02-19-2014, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968
I'm just not getting why it doesn't work. I mean, I took the settings from the networks "Auto" configuration right off the tv. I then switched it to manual and changed the Primary DNS to 208.122.23.23, and the Secondary to 208.122.23.22. So since it's using those DNS's, it should be working. Perhaps the region setting is overriding it. I'll check it out later.

Yeah this should work no problem, my tablet and PS3 were running US DNSs as recently as last night without issue, a smart TV shouldn't be any different right?

Matty_10
11-07-2015, 03:18 PM
I'm pretty handicapped with this stuff but,

The BIL signed up for unblockus free trial, everything works, great.

Now that the trial is over netflix doesn't work on any of the devices (phones, apple tv)

I changed the DNS IPv4 to googles 8888 & 8844 and changed the reqion on unblockus to Canada and got the Computers netflix to work, but none of the other devices work, suggestions?

beecue
11-07-2015, 04:09 PM
Pay? It's not going to work if you are not paying for their service.

Matty_10
11-07-2015, 05:08 PM
It was just a trial and they no longer want it, but can't get the original canadian netflix to work now. Ive tried the steps on the unblockus website to wipe out there DNS

rage2
11-07-2015, 06:58 PM
Some Netflix apps hardcode the Google DNS servers at the app level, in which case you will have to block 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 at the router level before it falls back to the TVs configured DNS server settings.

adam c
11-07-2015, 07:05 PM
I 'should' probably know this since the industry I work in but how does changing DNS servers allow US content?

A simple IP look up on the connecting address shows that the originating device is outside the US

rage2
11-07-2015, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by adam c
I 'should' probably know this since the industry I work in but how does changing DNS servers allow US content?

A simple IP look up on the connecting address shows that the originating device is outside the US
It's a "flaw" in content delivery networks. The DNS server routes the initial request to their proxy server and proxies your request to the source (Netflix, Hulu etc) from a US IP address. The server authenticates your account and location, then returns a token and url on the closest cdn edge node back to you. There are no checks on the cdn edge node except for the validity of the token.

The reason why it works is because for efficiency and performance sake, there are no communications between the source and the actual cdn edge node. The edge node just relies on rotating tokens to deliver the data.

eblend
11-13-2015, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Some Netflix apps hardcode the Google DNS servers at the app level, in which case you will have to block 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 at the router level before it falls back to the TVs configured DNS server settings.

This. My roku 3s are hardcoded to google DNS and only fail back to the ones defined in my DHCP if it can't reach google, so I just blocked them in my checkpoint firewall from being able to get to google, and they work perfect now

01RedDX
11-13-2015, 03:03 PM

schocker
11-13-2015, 03:15 PM
^^^I would watch out with hola
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2928340/ultra-popular-hola-vpn-extension-sold-your-bandwidth-for-use-in-a-botnet-attack.html

Also those with chromecast, it is hard coded to the google dns so no unblock on that which is why I picked up Fire TV boxes.

01RedDX
11-13-2015, 04:17 PM