PDA

View Full Version : abestoes testing and removal companies recommendations?

RX_EVOLV
02-22-2014, 10:12 AM
Hi guys,

We started removing the vinyl floorings (fter getting rid of the carpet on top) in the basement for reno. We are starting to suspect that there's abestoes in the floorings so we have stopped working on it.
Do you guys have any recommendations for abestoes testing (to confirm it is abestoes ) and removal ?

Thanks !

tirebob
02-22-2014, 10:24 AM
My buddy Ernie owns an asbestos removal company here in Calgary called Sealtech Restorations. They are pretty large and focus on industrial, but they also do residential I believe. You might try giving them a call. They have been around forever and are well known and experienced in the business...

http://sealtechrestorations.com/

GTS4tw
02-22-2014, 10:28 AM
Yikes that sucks. Don't cheap out on this, there are lots of shady people in that line of work. This is one thing where you want the best, not "affordable".

Tik-Tok
02-22-2014, 10:30 AM
Asbestos isn't really THAT terrible. As long as you use a proper mask (and there's aren't any children in the vicinity), you don't have to fear taking it up yourself. It's more of a risk for people with constant exposure to it.

GTS4tw
02-22-2014, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Asbestos isn't really THAT terrible. As long as you use a proper mask (and there's aren't any children in the vicinity), you don't have to fear taking it up yourself. It's more of a risk for people with constant exposure to it.

There are steps that you need to take to avoid getting it throughout your house, and circulating it into every room. A removal company will create a plastic tunnel through the house and out to a truck. They will wear proper masks and suits, and it will all be double bagged, and disposed of at a proper facility. Disposing of it yourself could be a hassle, I don't really know where you could take it.

It's not like exposure to asbestos is a death sentence, its just not worth the risk imo.

blainer
02-22-2014, 10:46 AM
Can you see a grey papery substance on the back? The paper backing is the area of concern with that type of flooring.

Best place to check is pull a heat register and lift up the seam around the duct. If you do see some, spray soapy water on the top side and the grey backing, cut a piece just a little bigger than the size of your thumbprint. The water will keep fibre release to a minimum. Seems silly to say but place in a ziploc bag and seal.

ALS Environmental will do the analysis

Tik-Tok
02-22-2014, 10:48 AM
I'm not suggesting anyone who isn't comfortable doing it themselves, but I have no doubt my entire basement was built with asbestos products, and I took it all down myself (floor tiles, plaster/lathe walls, ceiling tiles, etc.).

8 years later I had chest xrays for my throat/lungs (completely unrelated reasons), and had no discernible scar tissue found.

C_Dave45
02-22-2014, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
I'm not suggesting anyone who isn't comfortable doing it themselves, but I have no doubt my entire basement was built with asbestos products, and I took it all down myself (floor tiles, plaster/lathe walls, ceiling tiles, etc.).

8 years later I had chest xrays for my throat/lungs (completely unrelated reasons), and had no discernible scar tissue found.

Being in construction for over 30 years, I've come across old insulation/pipe wrapping/floor tile that contains asbestos countless times. Before the mass asbestos hysteria, it was just removed carefully. Wetting the material down and wearing good particle masks was the usual precaution. Then all of a sudden all these "specialized" asbestos removal companies appeared, charging tens of thousands of dollars, and setting up complete bio-hazard tunnels and wraps as if they were removing some deadly airborne toxins that will kill thousands.
It's a great business that's for sure.

Am I saying they're wrong? No. Would I hire a company and spend that kind of money if my house had asbestos tile? Never.

When I was little, (back in the 70's) a friend worked at an asbestos mine. They gave out sample containers that had every grade of asbestos, from raw thick fibres, down to the smallest "insulation" type powder. I had this container in my room, among all my other toys, and any time friends were over we would open this up...look at the different grades, put them in our hands, play with it... :dunno: So far I'm fine.

RX_EVOLV
02-22-2014, 11:31 AM
I'm only about 50 to 60% sure it's abestoes. I don't really see the paper backing that was mentioned above. We are renovating it as a rental unit so I just want to take all the necessary precautions just in case. It does appear there are some companies that greatly exaggerate the process and charges accordingly, so as with all other reno jobs, I would much rather get referrals. Any recommendations are much appreciated.

GTS4tw
02-22-2014, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by RX_EVOLV
I'm only about 50 to 60% sure it's abestoes. I don't really see the paper backing that was mentioned above. We are renovating it as a rental unit so I just want to take all the necessary precautions just in case. It does appear there are some companies that greatly exaggerate the process and charges accordingly, so as with all other reno jobs, I would much rather get referrals. Any recommendations are much appreciated.

What do the tiles look like? Are they 9x9?

AndyL
02-22-2014, 12:06 PM
pics and what's under that?

I helped with one reno in tuxedo - had asbestos lino under a modern lino in the kitchen... Popped the baseboards up - chalk lined the T&G - scored along the subfloor edges - took the whole thing up in 4x8 sheets with the subfloor - easiest lino removal EVER. :)

And yeah - since it was cut with a utility knife and removed in full sheets - and fully encased... Other than a mask for about 2 hours of cutting and an exhaust fan at the doorway... Pretty much 0 risk.

Seth1968
02-22-2014, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

Being in construction for over 30 years, I've come across old insulation/pipe wrapping/floor tile that contains asbestos countless times. Before the mass asbestos hysteria, it was just removed carefully. Wetting the material down and wearing good particle masks was the usual precaution. Then all of a sudden all these "specialized" asbestos removal companies appeared, charging tens of thousands of dollars, and setting up complete bio-hazard tunnels and wraps as if they were removing some deadly airborne toxins that will kill thousands.
It's a great business that's for sure.

This, and what Tik-Tok said too.

The people are so gullible.

Break a CFC and you'll need to pay hundreds