PDA

View Full Version : Phone Advice.

3drian
02-24-2014, 10:10 AM
Hi there guys,
Long story short, someone stole my Nexus5 during the weekend, Ive tried to locate it using the Android device Manager, but no luck.

Im planning on getting a new one this week, and my budget is $400, should I stick with the Nexus5? or buy something else used?

Android Device Manager allows me to delete the data of my old phone, should I do this?

Also I changed the password on the phone online, how easy is it to bypass this, and get the phone working with another number?

Thanks in advance.

G-ZUS
02-24-2014, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by 3drian
Hi there guys,
Long story short, someone stole my Nexus5 during the weekend, Ive tried to locate it using the Android device Manager, but no luck.

Im planning on getting a new one this week, and my budget is $400, should I stick with the Nexus5? or buy something else used?

Android Device Manager allows me to delete the data of my old phone, should I do this?

Also I changed the password on the phone online, how easy is it to bypass this, and get the phone working with another number?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure about the Nexus but with Galaxies you can easily restore the phone and it will be as good as new :S

OU812
02-24-2014, 10:43 AM
The S5 is suppose to be announced today.

:dunno:

Mitsu3000gt
02-24-2014, 10:58 AM
N5 is still the one to get, but the SGS5 will be announced anytime now. Might want to wait and see what that brings, but it'll be double your budget. I also personally am not a fan of touchwhiz/S-voice, and having to wait for android updates. I did read future galaxy devices will be going more toward a "vanilla" OS. If your budget is firm a $400 I don't think anyone can argue the N5 at $350 is untouchable.

Samsung is very smart with their Galaxy launches, never having to compete directly with Nexus devices. They have 6-9 months to grab early adopters before the next Nexus comes out.

Early rumors of the N6 point to 3GB ram, and a Snapdragon 810 3.0GHz 8-core chip (big.LITTLE architecture), adreno 330 GPU, 13MP camera, etc. It's a long ways away though haha so who knows!

HiTempguy1
02-24-2014, 11:20 AM
My girlfriend's Nexus4 is better than my Samsung S3 right out of the box due to Samsung bloatware/crap. I'd go Nexus5 in a heartbeat IMO, after coming from iphone's the Samsung out of the box is horrid. :dunno:

Xtrema
02-24-2014, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Early rumors of the N6 point to 3GB ram, and a Snapdragon 810 3.0GHz 8-core chip (big.LITTLE architecture), adreno 330 GPU, 13MP camera, etc. It's a long ways away though haha so who knows!

I won't worry about these rumors. I think phone war is over in the sense that everyone by now should have a good enough smartphone on their hands and years between upgrades will drag out a bit. Much like the over the hill PC market.

As for OP, N5 is the way to go unless you have free options to tie you over for another 8 month til N6.

Even if GS4 goes down in price because of GS5, you'll probably have to pay $400 anyway.

Mitsu3000gt
02-24-2014, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

I won't worry about these rumors. I think phone war is over in the sense that everyone by now should have a good enough smartphone on their hands and years between upgrades will drag out a bit. Much like the over the hill PC market.

I somewhat disagree, mostly due to the price of the Nexus devices. $350 is cheap enough for anyone to upgrade every year and not even blink an eye, assuming their phone is one of their most used possessions (for me it certainly is). At $800, maybe not, but when they are offering the best phones at half the price of anyone else, there are plenty of people happy to have the latest & greatest, and never be without full replacement warranty. Just look at the iPhone, plenty of old tech still being used, minimal upgrades, $600-900 price tags, and people absolutely cannot wait to get their hands on them every year.

I know lots of people who buy new phones every year, I can't see that changing, especially as we become more and more reliant on them.

Also, after a year, you can usually sell your phone for ~50% of what you paid for it, lowering the cost of an upgrade to a mere $150-200. Pretty reasonable upgrade path IMO, to always have the latest & greatest.

3drian
02-25-2014, 10:18 AM
Alright guys thanks for the feedback, I already locked my phone and what not, doesnt seem like I am gonna get it back.

Im planning on buying a new phone, I could get either an LGG2 or a Another nexus for the same price, should I stick to Nexus? Getting used to another phone might be a pain

supe
02-25-2014, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I thought I read somewhere that the Nexus line for phones is discontinued. They will instead be going with the play versions of smartphones.

A790
02-25-2014, 10:40 AM
Buy my Galaxy Note II for $300? :) Like-new condition.

Mitsu3000gt
02-25-2014, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by 3drian
Alright guys thanks for the feedback, I already locked my phone and what not, doesnt seem like I am gonna get it back.

Im planning on buying a new phone, I could get either an LGG2 or a Another nexus for the same price, should I stick to Nexus? Getting used to another phone might be a pain

I would just get another N5 - cheap, great warranty, fastest OS upgrades, still one of the fastest phones you can buy, you are familiar with it, etc. Also I am not sure if you're OK with the back-buttons on the LGG2 but that would be an instant deal breaker for me. Terrible design idea IMO.

Sell your N5 in November for $200 and get a N6 for $150.

Originally posted by supe

I thought I read somewhere that the Nexus line for phones is discontinued. They will instead be going with the play versions of smartphones.

I read that tweet too, but that's all I've heard of it. I've also read that it's not so much the Nexus line would be gone, but just a simple name change/rebrand to pump up purchases on the Play Store. No real change for the consumer. There are already "Play" versions of some non-Nexus phones available in the US with vanilla android.

So, from what I gather, either they will be offering more non-nexus "play" devices, or instead of a Nexus 6 you will be buying the exact same high-end device, but it will be called the "Play 6" or whatever. Google makes way too much money off Nexus devices to drop them, but they may call them something else.

Xtrema
02-25-2014, 11:41 AM
I thought Play devices still have to wait for manufacturers on OS upgrades when Nexus is Google releases. That's why I love the Nexus line.

But I guess if Google is sinking too much cache into Nexus, it may make sense to replace it with Play and make it manufacturers' problem.