PDA

View Full Version : Buying a JDM STi

AudiPWR
02-24-2014, 10:47 PM
Hey All,

I've decided to let go of my 2010 forester and get into something a bit more fun for the winter. I've been thinking about getting into an imported STi, as they are within my budget ($8-$10k) and look like they would make a great winter car.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these vehicles, what to look out for and what kind of issues to expect. I've found this one on Kijiji, and am thinking about buying it... http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/1997-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-ver-3-sedan-price-drop-for-fast-sale/568060610 . If anyone has any input on this gen STi, or dealing with a JDM vehicle in general that would be great.

Thanks.

zieg
02-24-2014, 10:56 PM
There were a couple different engine and transmission options available over the course of its lifecycle, make sure you read up on the pros and cons of each variation.

xnvy
02-25-2014, 12:01 AM
jdmconnection.ca could help you out. Western Subaru Club as well. Lots of jdm owners on that site. Unfortunately, I don't have experience with jdm Subaru's directly but if there any questions you have that people here can't answer, the other sources might be able to.

AudiPWR
02-25-2014, 12:09 AM
Great, thanks for the information.

If anyone else has anything to add, all the info I can get my hands on is appreciated.

Thx

theken
02-25-2014, 12:17 AM
I was also looking this route recently. Lots of nice cars. But also lots that look like they have been shit bagged. I did see a really nice 04 imprezza with sti drivetrain and interior swapped for like 12k. I would go that route personally

Kijho
02-25-2014, 06:45 AM
Buy one :D

Datsun-Fever
02-25-2014, 07:01 AM
Honestly, I would not buy one locally. People like to import them then charge 3-4K more than what they paid to get one from Japan. Contact Mark at http://www.braveautointernational.jp/
I got my 97 Sti from him, and the process was incredibly easy. He's a great guy and has been in the business longer than anyone exporting into Canada. Also, he will make sure you get the nicest car possible for your budget.

As for Issues, I have put about 35,000KM on my car since i got it, and it hasn't missed a beat. You will of course need to run a minimum of 91 Octane (Shell is good) but i prefer Husky 94.
Oil is of massive importance with the EJ20K motors, Changes have to be done earlier than later, and good oil should be used (I like Rotella T6)
All in all, they are amazing cars for Calgary all year round.

Also, here is a great local website, full of information regarding importation, maintenance ect. http://forums.jdmvip.com/

HiTempguy1
02-25-2014, 11:20 AM
EJ20K motors found in 1996 and later WRX and STis are not as easy to tune. 300awhp is available with the EJ20G (1992-1995) and bolt on parts and a tune/injectors. You essentially need a standalone to do that with the EJ20K.

As other's have said, if you don't import it yourself, you are paying a premium for someone else to have done so. At the same time, its pretty difficult to get a car for under $6500 all said and done; I bought a ridiculously cheap 1995 STi 3 years ago and by the time I had it imported and legally registered/insured in Canada it was $6500 even though the car only cost something like $1500US at auction :eek:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/1997-subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-ver-3-sedan-price-drop-for-fast-sale/568060610

Honestly, if this car hasn't been in an accident, I'd buy it in a heartbeat for $7500.

azian.advanced
02-25-2014, 10:30 PM
i followed the steps to the roll-on roll-off method on jdmvip.com and imported a 95 gt-four from japan myself. no importer, no broker. the car itself was $2300 but after all the fees, it came to $5000 landed in Vancouver. still had to pay for my travel/accomodation/transportation in Vancouver but it was well worth it than going through an importer/broker.

AudiPWR
02-26-2014, 12:07 AM
Thanks for all the information everyone, it's much appreciated!

I will sign up on the forums and get some more information. It might be worth my time to find one in Japan that I love and go through the process.

Azian - I looked at the GT-fours as my cousin had a 1990 one that was a blast to drive, and I know that the ST205s are available now and can be great cars. Just not sure if it would be better than an STi :)

azian.advanced
02-26-2014, 03:29 PM
haven't driven an STI, but rode in one (93-94 RHD). suspension parts for the ST205 is a bit pricey (yet still easily accessible) since no other Toyota shares the same superstrut suspension. not sure whether parts for the STI are easy to find.
i put on winter tires last year and my god was it a blast to drive in the snow! i sold it when i got my FR-S. i plan to get another one in a couple of years as a beater.