PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 spontaneously burns to the ground

CMW403
02-25-2014, 09:15 AM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NvCmX_NbUsY

My buddy bought this jeep GCSRT8 when it first came out two years ago.

Three weeks ago he hopped in to take a quick ride to booster juice and his seat heaters weren't working. He thought that was odd, whatever, he switched the seat heater off and back on again. As he's sitting at the light waiting to turn left at beacon hill he starts to smell burning plastic so he gets out and does a walk around, checks underneath, nothing. He gets back in and smoke starts pouring our from behind all the buttons on the in dash and from the storage space below the in dash.

I'll add pics of the end result tonight.

The fire investigators (I'm assuming hired by the insurance company) called him yesterday and told him that they could not find the cause of the fire and they're now quizzing the hell out of him.

We found a clause in his insurance contract that the vehicle would be reimbursed in full if it was written off because of manufacturer defect and he has owned it for exactly 22 months.

Excuse his language lol, that was his pride and joy.

How do you guys think this is going to play out in terms of a payout from the insurance company?

GTS4tw
02-25-2014, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by CMW403

How do you guys think this is going to play out in terms of a payout from the insurance company?

Oh wow, that really sucks! I hope he had good coverage and I'm sure he will be fine. They will be able to tell it was a dash fire and that shouldn't look suspicious. Still a terrible feeling to lose a car you love.

This is a bad video to watch as I'm running wiring in my grand cherokee right now!

Masked Bandit
02-25-2014, 10:18 AM
As long as he has the SEF 43R (Waiver of Depreciation) he'll basically get what he paid for it. MOST insurance companies run the 43r coverage for 30 months so he should be fine. If he DIDN'T have that coverage, he should possibly look at suing his broker for professional negligence. There is precedence to support that.

The adjuster can quiz him all they want, it's still an electrical fire. Unless they can prove he started it intentionally he'll be fine.

schocker
02-25-2014, 11:06 AM
Wow that sucks. Was that over at beacon hill?

A790
02-25-2014, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
As long as he has the SEF 43R (Waiver of Depreciation) he'll basically get what he paid for it. MOST insurance companies run the 43r coverage for 30 months so he should be fine. If he DIDN'T have that coverage, he should possibly look at suing his broker for professional negligence. There is precedence to support that.

The adjuster can quiz him all they want, it's still an electrical fire. Unless they can prove he started it intentionally he'll be fine.
Do I have that coverage? lol

lilmira
02-25-2014, 11:59 AM
Holy shit, that's hot!

colinxx235
02-25-2014, 12:12 PM
My buddy bought this jeep GCSRT8 when it first came out two years ago.

Three weeks ago he hopped in to take a quick ride to booster juice and his seat heaters weren't working. He thought that was odd, whatever, he switched the seat heater off and back on again. As he's sitting at the light waiting to turn left at beacon hill he starts to smell burning plastic so he gets out and does a walk around, checks underneath, nothing. He gets back in and smoke starts pouring our from behind all the buttons on the in dash and from the storage space below the in dash.

How do you guys think this is going to play out in terms of a payout from the insurance company? [/B]

Originally posted by schocker
Wow that sucks. Was that over at beacon hill?

You techs always need the Engg to point out everything for you hey??? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Masked Bandit
02-25-2014, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by A790

Do I have that coverage? lol

We put it on every single vehicle that qualifies. We don't even bother asking the clients if they want it or not. They just get it. So ya, you have it. I've only seen it come into play a handful of times over the years but when it does, it's big money.

schocker
02-25-2014, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235
You techs always need the Engg to point out everything for you hey??? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Such a dick :rofl:
Thought I read beacon hill but then clued out after reading it. That's CET to you anyways!

CMW403
02-25-2014, 01:55 PM
Thanks Masked Bandit, I was hoping you'd contribute to this thread.

The 911 call alone should prove that he didn't start the fire himself, he was pretty frantic hahahahaha. All they have to do is review that and they'll know that he didn't start the fire himself.

Thanks for the input everybody.

SCHIDER23
02-25-2014, 05:00 PM
Wow that sucks big time, hmm now I'm going to look into what masked bandit suggested, hopefully mine cars have this coverage, pretty scary for sure.

beyond_ban
02-25-2014, 08:23 PM
I can only imagine how icy that road was afterwards.

CMW403
02-27-2014, 06:28 PM
Just wanted to update the thread to confirm what was said by MaskedBandit, his insurance company paid him out his full amount minus the 4000 dollar extended warranty that he purchased and didn't even make it to in regards to months. The regular warranty covers 36 months and he owned it for 22 months before it burnt down. They have offered him a prorated amount of 1300 but IMO he should be paid his 4000 in full since he didn't even make it out of the manufacturers warranty into the extended warranty purchased for 4000.

Anyone have any suggestions?

A790
02-27-2014, 06:44 PM
Just wanted to update the thread to confirm what was said by MaskedBandit, his insurance company paid him out his full amount minus the 4000 dollar extended warranty that he purchased and didn't even make it to in regards to months. The regular warranty covers 36 months and he owned it for 22 months before it burnt down. They have offered him a prorated amount of 1300 but IMO he should be paid his 4000 in full since he didn't even make it out of the manufacturers warranty into the extended warranty purchased for 4000.

They insured the vehicle, not the extended warranty. Unless I'm missing something I don't see why he'd get anything at all for it.

revelations
02-27-2014, 07:06 PM
OP the extended warranty will likely end up in small claims. Thats entirely up to the dealer - unless the extended warranty specifically offers an opt-out at a prorated cost.

firebane
02-27-2014, 07:12 PM
Was this a manufacturers extended warranty or a 3rd party extended warranty.

Most of the extended warrantys I know of are those provided by a 3rd party company.

bignerd
02-27-2014, 07:48 PM

We put it on every single vehicle that qualifies. We don't even bother asking the clients if they want it or not. They just get it. So ya, you have it. I've only seen it come into play a handful of times over the years but when it does, it's big money.

Worth every penny, coming from someone who has used it, car written off, was also owned for 22 months so the coverage was almost up.

zipdoa
02-27-2014, 08:57 PM

Damn... I'm guessing the extended warranty actually costs $1300, and the other $2700 has already been deposited into the bank accounts of the finance manager and/or sales associate.

Masked Bandit
02-28-2014, 07:58 AM
Things like extended warranty aren't part of the insurance claim so I'm guessing that you're saying the dealer / warranty company is offering the pro-rated refund?

jonnycat
02-28-2014, 10:31 AM
My take.

Jeep SRT8 on fire
Film Jeep on fire
holy fucking shit, a plane!
ok, back to jeep.

"Fuck me in the ass right now" lol

Tik-Tok
02-28-2014, 10:37 AM
Things like extended warranty aren't part of the insurance claim

I had to laugh at the complaint. I can imagine my insurance companies reaction if I asked for my money back because I didn't need to use any insurance last year. :rofl:

beyond_ban
02-28-2014, 11:25 AM
He drove a brand new SRT8 jeep for 22 months for essentially free. Any money back from the warranty would just be a bonus in my eyes.

lilmira
02-28-2014, 11:41 AM
Not that the original concern of getting money back for the extended warranty from the dealer/manufacturer has anything to do with the insurance company but wouldn't you get money back if you cancel the insurance half way through a year with the entire year paid in advance?

Back to the original concern, how do they offer the extended warranty? Do you have to purchase it right away when you purchase the car? They don't offer that any time before the original warranty expires right? So they are forcing you to pay up front way before you need it. So in a fair world, they would give you the money back since it hasn't even gone into effect yet. Dealership, fairness, hmmm, can they co-exist?

benyl
02-28-2014, 11:49 AM
Extended warranties can be bought at anytime while the manufacturers warranty is still in place.

People buy them up front for 2 reasons. 1. The cost of the warranty might increase during the course fo the original warranty. 2. They want to finance the cost.

msommers
02-28-2014, 11:49 AM
Have any other JGC SRT8s had this issue anywhere else? Or completely one-off case?

Brutal and shocking situation either way.

FraserB
02-28-2014, 02:04 PM
Paying him the unsed portion is pretty fair and he can't rally make a case for the entire thing being refunded if it had been active during the time he owned the Jeep.

98type_r
02-28-2014, 02:40 PM
Does he plan on buying a new Jeep with his payout?

zipdoa
02-28-2014, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by 98type_r
Does he plan on buying a new Jeep with his payout?

Hahaha, I'm trying to convince him not to. I suggested he pay off the remainder of his loan, take the leftovers and purchase a vehicle outright.

Graham_A_M
03-03-2014, 07:17 AM
^ I sure hope not. Learn from your mistakes and dont buy a Dodge.
:banghead:

:rolleyes:

Zhariak
03-03-2014, 07:37 AM

Contact the 800 number for the warranty. Tell them what happened.

Once I was told I could get refunded for un-used extended warranty when trading a vehicle in. I was lazy so didn't bother, but worth a try. They might actually just toss it over to the new one once you come up with written documentation of what happened.

Prail
03-03-2014, 09:34 AM
I'm sure it's fully transferable... You never used any of it. Hard to believe it would just be gone. :dunno:

If so another reason not to buy them! :rofl: