PDA

View Full Version : Give me your opinions on this tiny amplifier

Mar
02-26-2014, 12:46 AM
I've got a computer running all the media in my car and right now I've got a large Pioneer amplifier running the 4 speakers. The 2 speakers in the rear are Kicker and 2 in the front are JBL, nothing spectacular. I like the idea of saving space in my trunk so I was wondering if I should buy this little 50 watt x 4 unit:

http://store.mp3car.com/TDA7850_Internal_4_x_50W_Quad_Bridge_Power_Amplifi_p/com-140.htm

http://cdn3.volusion.com/ctjx3.3omzd/v/vspfiles/photos/COM-140-2.jpg

roll_over
02-26-2014, 12:54 AM
I have an alpine power and I like that it fits in the dash. Mine is plug and play with my deck but I think they might make a universal version

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ktp-445a

ReflexFX
02-26-2014, 01:01 AM
Unless you're running premium speakers or you plan to crank your volume to douchebag, it doesn't really make a whole lot of a difference.

Also, for $70 you can buy a headunit with a built-in 50x4W amplifier.

roll_over
02-26-2014, 01:12 AM
Don't those decks have 50w peak not rms I'm not a sound expert. Maybe someone who knows better could chime in

Mar
02-26-2014, 01:17 AM
Guys........I don't have a headunit, I have a computer in my trunk which has thousands of songs and music videos on it. I'm just wondering if this amplifier will work well or if it looks like it'll be crap. My car has no headunit at all, just a touchscreen running back to the computer.

Splkia
02-26-2014, 08:31 PM
Looks like crap, if sound quality is a concern I would go with something with alot better filtering especially in an automotive environment.

AndyL
02-26-2014, 08:51 PM
Are those the dx ones?

If they are I can probably source one to borrow / test. A friend is using a dozen or two in his store.

Graham_A_M
02-26-2014, 09:35 PM
That little amp doesn't even have a heatsink, so its hard to say without testing as to its viability towards putting out that said 30watts RMS per channel.
That being said, 30 watts isn't a whole heck of a lot.

Ive fooled around a LOT with these cute little DIY amps and the like, and have yet to see one that impressed me even a little. :rolleyes: That one in question doesn't even have an OP-amp.
I can just see you spending $70 for this, only to end up completely disappointed as I was with each one I've bought/build and tested. Looking at it its power input & output terminals, the simplicity of the circuitry, I have a very hard time believing that it can perform like they say it will.

I think it was Roll_Over that said headunits dont put out 50 watts RMS, thats very true. Not even close to it actually. Most are around 7-15 watts RMS per channel. Its 50 watts absolute max output per channel, even that is quite lofty.

Honestly? Sure it looks like a compact, cute wee little amp, but for the same price, you can get something like this, that'll do a much better job.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-LANZAR-MNX460-1600W-4-CH-CAR-AUDIO-AMPLIFIER-AMP-4-CHANNEL-1600-WATT-/300894971517?pt=Car_Amplifiers&hash=item460ebce67d
^ I can guarentee you, those power specs are quite optimistic. 200watts RMS x4 takes a LOT of power, to do so with a singular 40 amp fuse is literally impossible... but okie dokie, at least it'll be more then 30 watts RMS though.
Sure it'll take up a bit more space as a novel (book) but it'll give you a lot more options and headroom. :dunno:
Personally, I usually push 30-100 watts RMS into each speaker (depending on size and a few other factors) and they can usually take at least 50 watts RMS per channel quite readily, if its good clean power. So its always good to use a decent amp to make sure all that said clean (un botched) power is readily available.

Alterac
02-26-2014, 11:30 PM
http://www.parts-express.com/4x100w-at-4-ohm-tk2050-class-t-digital-audio-amplifier-board--320-335

Could always give this one a shot.

nobb
02-26-2014, 11:51 PM
^That Partsexpress one looks like a better unit for the price. The PE unit is rated from 10 to 30VDC, which is good for an automotive environment. The Mp3car unit does not mention any filtering/voltage regulation features, but I would assume it should be usable in a car as it's rated at 14.4V. I would still put a decent sized capacitor on the input side just to filter things.

Unless space is a concern, for the $100 price range, a better approach would be to just buy a used 4 channel amp.

Mar
02-27-2014, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by nobb
^That Partsexpress one looks like a better unit for the price. The PE unit is rated from 10 to 30VDC, which is good for an automotive environment. The Mp3car unit does not mention any filtering/voltage regulation features, but I would assume it should be usable in a car as it's rated at 14.4V. I would still put a decent sized capacitor on the input side just to filter things.

Unless space is a concern, for the $100 price range, a better approach would be to just buy a used 4 channel amp.
I'm using a M2-ATX to filter the power and reduce spikes so providing a stable power line isn't really an issue.

nobb
02-27-2014, 09:27 AM
The M2-ATX doesn't have a very high current capacity on the 12V line to support an amp + computer.

Mar
02-27-2014, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by nobb
The M2-ATX doesn't have a very high current capacity on the 12V line to support an amp + computer.
No, I'm currently using a NPN transistor to amplify the signal going into the amplifier. Otherwise it wouldn't turn on.

Alterac
02-27-2014, 01:15 PM
I think he is meaning the Power line to the Amplified requires more current than the M2-ATX can provide, and defiantly more than a single NPN can do.

Mar
02-27-2014, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Alterac
I think he is meaning the Power line to the Amplified requires more current than the M2-ATX can provide, and defiantly more than a single NPN can do. Oh, I've already got an 8 gauge wire running to my current Pioneer amplifier running the speakers so I would just swap that out for this.