PDA

View Full Version : Question about old job

theken
02-27-2014, 07:10 PM
K here's pretty much my situation. I used to work for a concrete company. I loved my job I enjoyed it everyday. Things got slow in calgary in like 09-10 for me, I requested a transfer to airdrie and was granted it. So I worked in airdrie for a year and was technically laid off. (There was 0 work over the winter) so I went to frac. I called back in April when they generally have work again so I could go back to my concrete company and they still had no work so I couldn't go back. FF to now I have reapplied at my old job in calgry and they won't hire me because they think I will just go back To oilfield when it pics up again. Which is the furthest thing from what I want to do, I hate working out of town and only did it because they were slow and wouldn't take me back.
I find this kind of insulting that they are hiring and won't consider me an option. I left on good terms and never had an incident, write up or vacation or anything in my 4 years there. What would you guys do? This is the job I want to be at and the company I really love.

theken
02-27-2014, 07:12 PM
Oh and I have left 3 voicemails with the guy that hires and texted him with no response, the only way I found out why they won't hire me is my old supervisor is a friend of mine

J.M.
02-27-2014, 07:50 PM
Not sure what you can really do if they don't want to hire you again :dunno:

I would put it in the past and just move on man.

theken
02-27-2014, 07:58 PM
If the reasoning behind the not hiring is something that they have no idea on, the guy that claims this wasn't even working there when I left so where he gets his ideas I have no idea

firebane
02-27-2014, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by theken
K here's pretty much my situation. I used to work for a concrete company. I loved my job I enjoyed it everyday. Things got slow in calgary in like 09-10 for me, I requested a transfer to airdrie and was granted it. So I worked in airdrie for a year and was technically laid off. (There was 0 work over the winter) so I went to frac. I called back in April when they generally have work again so I could go back to my concrete company and they still had no work so I couldn't go back. FF to now I have reapplied at my old job in calgry and they won't hire me because they think I will just go back To oilfield when it pics up again. Which is the furthest thing from what I want to do, I hate working out of town and only did it because they were slow and wouldn't take me back.
I find this kind of insulting that they are hiring and won't consider me an option. I left on good terms and never had an incident, write up or vacation or anything in my 4 years there. What would you guys do? This is the job I want to be at and the company I really love.

Most places call you a "flight risk". Once you've been labelled that good luck.

theken
02-27-2014, 10:29 PM
That's what I don't understand. I was laid off, and was told there was no work. I usually stay with the same company at least 2-3 years minimum. Which is why I don't understand this

dj_rice
02-27-2014, 10:50 PM
That's what I don't understand. I was laid off, and was told there was no work. I usually stay with the same company at least 2-3 years minimum. Which is why I don't understand this

I don't know if this applies in your situation but I work at a dealership. The Service Dept laid off 3 techs last week. They said it was due to not enough work availible for everyone. But meanwhile, its actually been busy and most of the techs are getting 9-10 hours daily.

The 3 techs they did lay off, were the laziest ones never producing hours.

So....not saying you are lazy. But...

J-D
02-27-2014, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

I don't know if this applies in your situation but I work at a dealership. The Service Dept laid off 3 techs last week. They said it was due to not enough work availible for everyone. But meanwhile, its actually been busy and most of the techs are getting 9-10 hours daily.

Concrete and rig work is a lot more cyclical than dealership work I'd imagine. People get laid off in these industries all the time.

Env-Consultant
02-27-2014, 11:37 PM

Honestly, for your own self-respect, I'd say fuck them. You worked there before, you seem like a guy who works his ass off, made things happen for yourself when things got slow (rather than living off of others), and deserve better than that.

It's Alberta. I literally believe I could walk into several different places in Calgary, tell them I'm working for them and pass them my direct deposit information - am I that valuable? No, nobody is. Is there a labour shortage here? A terrible one.

Find someone who deserves your time. Why work for someone who could give two shits about you and can treat you like a nobody when they're the ones who couldn't manage their employees required:work available.

Good luck - but fuck those guys bro. You'll find something and do well.

revelations
02-28-2014, 12:20 AM
If you have the skills and the "shutzpah" ... you can do well almost everywhere else. Sounds to me like trying to get back with an ex who dumped you :bigpimp:

theken
02-28-2014, 01:40 AM
I just enjoyed the company, they looked after their people very well, I can go to 3 other places and have a job Friday, but there's 60 guys that I know at this place. I will probably end up at another one but it just pisses me off to be given a bs excuse that's all.

Env-Consultant
02-28-2014, 02:06 AM
I just enjoyed the company, they looked after their people very well, I can go to 3 other places and have a job Friday, but there's 60 guys that I know at this place. I will probably end up at another one but it just pisses me off to be given a bs excuse that's all.

I hear you and understand what you're saying, but if they're too stupid to oust you over something like that and not give you the benefit of the doubt, then why go in everyday and make them rich? I get it, it sucks - but don't degrade yourself like that.

You know why? Because fuck them, that's why.

My_name_is_Rob
02-28-2014, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice

He isn't actually. I can vouch for Theken's work ethic, and he is a hard, and smart worker. :thumbsup:

leftwing
02-28-2014, 02:28 PM
If they are hiring, it doesn't make sense to not give you a chance. There is really 0 downside to hiring you as you have experience and it sounds like you are a proven good worker (flight risk or not). If you do happen to work for 2 months then leave again, there is really no loss for them, as they didn't spend time/resources training you, in the meantime you gave them 2 months of solid work.

Not saying that you are leaving part of your story out or something, but it doesn't make sense to me that they wont hire you. Are you sure you left on good terms?

Why don't you try and set up a meeting with the lead hands or whoever may be preventing you from being hired and tell them what you told us.

revelations
02-28-2014, 03:35 PM
OP even if you did nothing wrong, I wouldnt want them to paint me with a brush like that. Its time to walk and onto BETTER things anyway.