PDA

View Full Version : 1:face charity watch

genesis0403
02-28-2014, 05:12 AM
I thought this may interest some of you. Buy for a good cause!
http://1facewatch.com/?utm_source=adroll&utm_medium=cpm&utm_content=fb200x200&utm_campaign=retarget

A790
02-28-2014, 10:17 AM
I put in an order for two of them. Will post a review when they arrive :)

vengie
02-28-2014, 10:22 AM
Just ordered one for cancer, neat idea.

A790
02-28-2014, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by vengie
Just ordered one for cancer, neat idea.
Great, now it looks like you or I have posted 3 times in a row... lol

roopi
02-28-2014, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by A790

Great, now it looks like you or I have posted 3 times in a row... lol

I was just thinking why is A790 talking to himself? :rofl:

gqmw
02-28-2014, 11:55 AM
I ordered a few of those when it was on kickstarter. Took a hell of a long time to come, but they're cool!

The_Rural_Juror
02-28-2014, 12:01 PM
Going to order a few for the folks in the office as well. Good project.

civic_stylez
02-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Super awesome concept. Im going to jump in on these.

JRSC00LUDE
02-28-2014, 01:05 PM
What percentage of donations go to Charitites?

Each watch comes with a metric which is carried out with the purchase of the watch. Not only is this the best way to quantify change but it is entirely transparent.

ie.) 1 white watch feeds 10 children in the Horn of Africa through our charity partner One Days Wages. The same holds true for each of the other metrics. The goal is to create actual quantified change in people's lives around the world for each watch sold.

Is it just me or is this answer actually not transparent at all? I want to know how much money they're making at this "charity", to me is seems completely like a for profit business.

03ozwhip
03-01-2014, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by gqmw
I ordered a few of those when it was on kickstarter. Took a hell of a long time to come, but they're cool!

are they just plastic watches?

Speed_69
03-01-2014, 10:10 AM
I bought one last summer to support cancer (black one). I use it on a daily basis and have no problems with it and it looks stylish!

GTS4tw
03-01-2014, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
What percentage of donations go to Charitites?

Each watch comes with a metric which is carried out with the purchase of the watch. Not only is this the best way to quantify change but it is entirely transparent.

ie.) 1 white watch feeds 10 children in the Horn of Africa through our charity partner One Days Wages. The same holds true for each of the other metrics. The goal is to create actual quantified change in people's lives around the world for each watch sold.

Is it just me or is this answer actually not transparent at all? I want to know how much money they're making at this "charity", to me is seems completely like a for profit business.

Isn't the purpose of charity so that you can get rich by scraping a bit off the top? And maybe get to write off a couple trips to Africa? Do people really fall for this shit, or do they just like the watch?

ExtraSlow
03-01-2014, 10:52 AM
Feeding ten kids in Africa is cheap as hell when you are feeding them rice that you buy hundreds of tonnes at a time. Probably less than a dollar a day per kid.

Unknown303
03-01-2014, 11:28 AM
Yeah I kind of want one but the metrics make no sense. At least with Humble Bundles you can specify the percentage to charity/developer/humble bundle. But I also prefer supporting local charities, or ones that give me video games..

Sugarphreak
03-01-2014, 12:06 PM

ExtraSlow
03-01-2014, 01:51 PM
I hate these gimmicky charity initiatives. They are charity as fashion, not charity as a real means of helping people.
Let's run some numbers, which are totally made up, but probably not far off.
Spend $40 plus $5 shipping.
Watch costs about $5 to make.
UPS takes $5
Charity Expenses like advertising, web hosting, labour for packaging, Staff Salaries, marketing etc: $20
Charity uses some profit to send people to Africa and pose for photos with the recipients of the money - $5

I'd say AT MOST $5 is left for the actual cause. That's 11% of your money going to the cause. And you won't be able to get a tax receipt for this.

Instead, donate $60 to a real charity of your choice, get a tax credit of $15, for a net cost of $45, and you've made some actual difference.

jsn
03-01-2014, 02:45 PM
:werd: This is like the new Livestrong bands. People just bought them as a fashion statement. It's OK if you like the watch/wristband and buy it as a fashion statement but know that you're not actually making much of a contribution and you're not fooling anyone by saying that you bought it solely on the purpose of supporting a cause.

Disclaimer: I'm no saint and I haven't donated that much to charities, but I'd rather donate the price of this watch to the charity, instead of buying this watch and having only a small portion of the price going to the charity.

gyu
03-01-2014, 09:33 PM
They won't have inventory till the end of March, ordered mine mid February.

jwslam
03-01-2014, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

As heartless as this may sound, the solution to this problem is to stop feeding kids in Africa

The more kids you feed, the more kids they have, the more kids there are that you need to feed, the worse the situation gets.

All this does is create a dependency on foreign aid
HAHAHAHAH I believe the EXACT same thing! Eliminating that continent's population would solve 90+% of the world's Hunger, HIV, etc issues.

msommers
03-01-2014, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

HAHAHAHAH I believe the EXACT same thing! Eliminating that continent's population would solve 90+% of the world's Hunger, HIV, etc issues.

Eliminating Africa's population eh...

Please, do go into detail and statisics about this. I'd love to hear it.

jwslam
03-01-2014, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by msommers
do go into detail and statisics
http://geniusinthemaking.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/42-7.jpg

edit: I actually did some research in about 2 minutes.
Closest thing I found:
https://www.thp.org/learn_more/issues/know_your_world_facts_about_hunger_and_poverty

88 percent of all children and 60 percent of all women living with HIV are in sub-Saharan Africa.

genesis0403
03-02-2014, 04:45 AM
the problem with that statistics is that poverty is measured in terms of money. There are some countries full of indigenous villages that aren't exposed to the world market but are still doing fine in terms of surviving.
When we talk about Africa being effected by so called "dependency" they are states such as Sudan, Congo etc which are constantly effected by civil wars before they even get the chance to "develop". The problem isn't giving them money to buy food but rather supplying or selling them modern weapons that are used in these civil wars. What I'm saying is that "modernity" doesn't seem to be well suited for all states, cultures etc
HIV isn't just there for Africans because they have a lot of gay people or something.. Many times they're used as weapons during civil wars as well.
Also getting rid of the African population does not solve world hunger. For 1, China's majority of the population is in so called "poverty" as well. The world just only sees their main cities like Shanghai or Beijing but people forget that their other cities and towns are very undeveloped. India also has a lot of people who are starving as well. Their concentration in IT in major cities only cover them up. Don't forget that most chances are, the food you eat are grown from states suffering from poverty as well.

msommers
03-02-2014, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by jwslam

http://geniusinthemaking.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/42-7.jpg

edit: I actually did some research in about 2 minutes.
Closest thing I found:
https://www.thp.org/learn_more/issues/know_your_world_facts_about_hunger_and_poverty

But you sounded so sure the solution was easy, carpet bomb an entire continent to solve our world problems. Kind of ironic that your own link states that hunger problems are twice as bad in Asia as in Africa. Maybe we should carpet bomb them too?

Here, I'll put in even less effort:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV/AIDS_in_Africa

Seth1968
03-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

As heartless as this may sound, the solution to this problem is to stop feeding kids in Africa

The more kids you feed, the more kids they have, the more kids there are that you need to feed, the worse the situation gets.

All this does is create a dependency on foreign aid

This.

Billions of dollars are sent to that shithole and it does nothing but line the pockets of scam artists and corrupt politicians.

Furthermore, they don't know they're poor until some Iphone waving idiot tells them.

Imagine you're one of the kids on the savannah, running away from lions and white people. Now one of your friends starts getting "donated" fancy food and clothes. Suddenly, the cow dung you've been eating doesn't taste as good, and you realize that you're somehow not good enough to get that special treatment.

GTS4tw
03-02-2014, 10:40 AM

But you sounded so sure the solution was easy, carpet bomb an entire continent to solve our world problems. Kind of ironic that your own link states that hunger problems are twice as bad in Asia as in Africa. Maybe we should carpet bomb them too?

Here, I'll put in even less effort:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV/AIDS_in_Africa

Where did he say carpet bomb? I believe he said stop giving away free food and let what happens, happen. Way to be melodramatic.

msommers
03-02-2014, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by GTS4tw

Where did he say carpet bomb? I believe he said stop giving away free food and let what happens, happen. Way to be melodramatic.

Pick your fancy on "Eliminating that continent's population"

Unknown303
03-02-2014, 10:56 AM
If we stopped supporting third world populations they would probably be reduced naturally since the environment there can't support the current population without support.

GTS4tw
03-02-2014, 11:20 AM

Pick your fancy on "Eliminating that continent's population"

I was just taking his comment in its actual context, not being absurd.

A790
03-28-2014, 04:18 PM
I put in an order for two of them. Will post a review when they arrive :)
Arrived today. I wound up paying for one and 1face gave me one to give away.

Quality is much better than what I was expecting for $40.

http://i.imgur.com/O1KmOOm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/vcq9887.jpg

Seth1968
03-28-2014, 04:53 PM

Eliminating Africa's population eh...

Please, do go into detail and statisics about this. I'd love to hear it.
Africa:

The human pit of foreign aid..

jdmXSI
04-16-2014, 11:43 PM

Arrived today. I wound up paying for one and 1face gave me one to give away.

Quality is much better than what I was expecting for $40.

http://i.imgur.com/O1KmOOm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/vcq9887.jpg

Lucky... I bought 3 on march 2nd because I couldn't decide which one I wanted and have received 1 to date.