PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP End of Support date April 8.

ZenOps
02-28-2014, 03:31 PM
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/end-support-help?ocid=xpeos_r_eosreminder_na_body_1_1

I plan on doing a final reformat just before the "end", and hopefully stretch it out to Windows 9.

eblend
02-28-2014, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by ZenOps
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/end-support-help?ocid=xpeos_r_eosreminder_na_body_1_1

I plan on doing a final reformat just before the "end", and hopefully stretch it out to Windows 9.

The question is...why?

Why would anyone want to continue to use that archaic OS when Windows 7 is so much better, or even 8.1

faiz999
02-28-2014, 04:10 PM
b/c XP!

pheoxs
02-28-2014, 04:19 PM
Ironically I'm sitting here setting up 4 new XP boxes to send out to clients, even after its done being supported they'll continue using them and we will probably still build some.

We have tons of software that only works on XP SP 2 or 3 and nothing else. Some of the software simply isn't supported anymore and it means upgrading entire control systems to bring things up to Win 7.

pheoxs
02-28-2014, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by eblend

The question is...why?

Why would anyone want to continue to use that archaic OS when Windows 7 is so much better, or even 8.1

For normal consumer use, who cares you can upgrade anytime and dump new drivers in.

For businesses they need to plan roll outs and updates to make the migration.

For industrial use it might be upgrade tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of controls equipment to make it work.

firebane
02-28-2014, 04:56 PM
Actually Windows XP support for malware continues to 2015. This basically just drops support for well support meaning security updates and such.

My work is currently in a mass wide Windows 7 upgrade.

HHURICANE1
02-28-2014, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by eblend

The question is...why?

Because lots of people have a large investment in hardware and software that won't be compatible with the newer platforms. Microsoft keeps screwing with their driver platforms so you have to either stick with older OS's or buy all new stuff at great expense.

Xtrema
02-28-2014, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by HHURICANE1

Because lots of people have a large investment in hardware and software that won't be compatible with the newer platforms. Microsoft keeps screwing with their driver platforms so you have to either stick with older Os's or buy all new stuff at great expense.

Wait til you deal with MS's yearly OS upgrade.

Server 2012 to R2 fucks up everything because nobody know how to write fucking network drivers anymore.

Why does the server OS needs to be on the same track as consumer OS is beyond me. The business cycles more like 3,5 or even 7 years for some where yearly cycle make sense of consumer gears.

Although, if you can find an exploit with XP, there is potential for free cash:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/20/5326772/windows-xp-powers-95-percent-of-atms-worldwide

ercchry
02-28-2014, 05:34 PM
half our office is still on xp too :rofl:

revelations
02-28-2014, 06:08 PM
Interesting article on the ATMs - however the terminals are NOT on the internet as such, but rather talk through a phone line - so the risk is a lot less.

firebane
02-28-2014, 06:21 PM
ATM terminals are not running Windows XP like every other person does. They are running a embedded OS that does not get the same problems with updates and such nor are they affected by viruses and other things.

davidI
02-28-2014, 10:45 PM
Our office is still on XP and it drives me nuts. I deal with a lot of documents so the features introduced in Windows 7 where you can drag docs to the side and they'll automatically fill half the screen is an incredible time saver.

They've been planning to roll out Win 7 for ages so hopefully it happens soon...

Hallowed_point
02-28-2014, 11:09 PM
I still have XP on my lappy, but we just updated to 7
at work and it rocks. Totally worth upgrading imo. I
had my doubts, but I've yet to find anything about 7
that I dislike.

eblend
03-01-2014, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by pheoxs

For normal consumer use, who cares you can upgrade anytime and dump new drivers in.

For businesses they need to plan roll outs and updates to make the migration.

For industrial use it might be upgrade tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of controls equipment to make it work.

preaching to the choir here, I work in IT and due to the incompetence of the desktop staff got involved with a company wide rollout of Windows 7 in our whole organization. We have successfully moved off Windows XP about a year ago now to every single one of our desktop machines, and at the same time implemented bitlocker and SCEP 2012, and moved over to Office 2010 all in one step. I lead the Windows 7 deployment and build the whole image in SCCM for it to happen. My point was more specifically towards zenops and why he would stick with XP for what sounds like a home environment.

As for server 2012, and r2, haven't had any issues with that as well and we have been running 2012 like a month after it came out for our production file cluster servers, haven't experienced any issues personally with it, digging it.

I don't even remember where half the stuff is in XP anymore, got so used to 7/8/8.1 that I feel like I am back in Windows 3.1 when I go to an XP computer.

Think a lot of the companies that are struggling to move off Windows XP just don't have the right staff or hire the stupid contractors who come in, get 0 done, and walk away when their contract is up. The company I used to work with ended up in exact that position, hired CompuCom to do the migration, and at the end of the day, they are no closer to moving to Windows 7 then they were 3 years ago when they first started planning for it.

ZenOps
04-05-2014, 10:16 AM
Ahh, done the final WinXP format on the gaming rig (my main rig)

WinXP original to SP2 upgrade DVD, SP2 to SP3 CD ISO, 133 "critical updates" online, drivers, programs.

Six hours later: Shes done.

Hopefully it will make it to Windows9 and DirectX12.

I don't know if I should bother to make a slipstream of the "final" XP with all the updates before they take it offline.

Seth1968
04-05-2014, 10:30 AM
This whole thing with ending updates and the glorious sky is falling is BS. So is your antivirus.

Neither of those have ANYTHING to do with a computer infection.

pheoxs
04-05-2014, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by ZenOps
Ahh, done the final WinXP format on the gaming rig (my main rig)

WinXP original to SP2 upgrade DVD, SP2 to SP3 CD ISO, 133 "critical updates" online, drivers, programs.

Six hours later: Shes done.

Hopefully it will make it to Windows9 and DirectX12.

I don't know if I should bother to make a slipstream of the "final" XP with all the updates before they take it offline.

I always do an image once I'm done my installs so it makes reformatting a breeze. Just wipe the drive, copy image back over, run a few updates and done within an hour or so.