PDA

View Full Version : Apple CarPlay

schocker
03-03-2014, 11:14 AM
So Apple CarPlay was announced today. Initially it will be coming in 2014 to Ferrari, Honda, Hyundai, Mercedes, Jaguar & Volvo with lots of partners to come. It looks ok and the interface should be good, but guessing it will only work with iPhone, I had been thinking would this be enough to deter someone from purchasing one of these brands? I am guessing bluetooth would work on windows and android phones but nothing else.
ie Google has partnered with GM & Audi and it also says Hyundai and Honda so I am unsure of which they are using.

http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

please discuss

A790
03-03-2014, 11:36 AM
I'm guessing this would be in addition to their standard in car entertainment system. The smart way to do it would be to have it launch in lieu of the standard entertainment setup whenever it detects an apple device plugged in/connected via bluetooth/etc.

I'd be seriously disappointed if it acted otherwise.

supe
03-03-2014, 12:01 PM
Yeah its a bit dangerous for a car company to side with a technology that has such a closed ecosystem and the kicker is the technology is losing market share.

The good thing in all this is that this will up the bar for in car interfaces.

Mibz
03-03-2014, 12:04 PM
Thorough integration like this is a significant reason for me sticking with Apple products. It's a big play, it could pay off in spades if it works better than the average OEM entertainment system.

As to the question of "Would this deter somebody from buying one of these brands?". Ignoring A790's point, which is most likely the truth, is anybody seriously going to let a $500 purchase control their $30,000 purchase? I'd say people are more likely to switch phones based on the car they like than switch cars based on the phone they like. Of course there will be a vocal and angry bunch of Android users that will claim to take their business elsewhere, but we can't really take them seriously, can we?

If A790 is wrong and these cars only work with iPhones then expect to receive a new phone with your new car. Can you imagine all new Hondas and Hyundais coming with iPhones? Haha, fuck me, the internet would explode. I'm sure Apple would get sued for non-compete something or other. I wonder how that would go.

Originally posted by supe
Yeah its a bit dangerous for a car company to side with a technology that has such a closed ecosystem Hahaha, what? This is precisely the guy that I can't take seriously. Going from a 100% closed and proprietary OEM entertainment system to an iOS-based one is actually a step TOWARDS the freedom some nerds crave so vigorously.

Dangerous for whom? Are you suggesting that if Tesla offered iPhone-only in-car entertainment that you wouldn't buy one?

supe
03-03-2014, 12:21 PM
Substitute the word dangerous for risky. Its a risky play because you're betting on one technology company. Its different if you're betting on a technology standard like bluetooth but again as I said, apple is losing global market share meaning that over time this appeals to less and less of the market.

Its funny how apple users think adding new products to their product line is freedom. True freedom is being able to use any technology you choose and the better way to solve this is to go with industry standards for example micro usb. If apple makes the carplay system truly compatible with any device, I can support that, but if they don't again I say its a risky play.

And yes if Tesla made their car iphone only, I would seriously consider not buying one, not necessarily because of the technology itself but because I like my freedom of choice.

schocker
03-03-2014, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Of course there will be a vocal and angry bunch of Android users that will claim to take their business elsewhere, but we can't really take them seriously, can we?

Lets say you are driving along and since the maps are all wrong you drive into a river, what say you mibz? :D

I would hope it would be set up like a790 suggested though that is wouldn't be forced.

Seth1968
03-03-2014, 12:32 PM
Substitute the word dangerous for risky. Its a risky play because you're betting on one technology company. Its different if you're betting on a technology standard like bluetooth but again as I said, apple is losing global market share meaning that over time this appeals to less and less of the market.

Its funny how apple users think adding new products to their product line is freedom. True freedom is being able to use any technology you choose and the better way to solve this is to go with industry standards for example micro usb. If apple makes the carplay system truly compatible with any device, I can support that, but if they don't again I say its a risky play.

And yes if Tesla made their car iphone only, I would seriously consider not buying one, not necessarily because of the technology itself but because I like my freedom of choice.

Holy shit.

I couldn't have said that better myself.

heavyD
03-03-2014, 12:54 PM

Has it been stated anywhere that it won't work with Android? I highly doubt any carmaker would isolate android/windows users and offer an Apple only system. Chances are the this will be nothing more than an Apple OIS system that is compatible with Bluetooth devices and will likely have extra wrinkles for iphone users. Nothing to get your panties in a bunch as it's about time new cars had a stable infotainment system that works well and intuitively and nobody does that better than Apple.

heavyD
03-03-2014, 12:59 PM

As to the question of "Would this deter somebody from buying one of these brands?". Ignoring A790's point, which is most likely the truth, is anybody seriously going to let a $500 purchase control their $30,000 purchase? I'd say people are more likely to switch phones based on the car they like than switch cars based on the phone they like. Of course there will be a vocal and angry bunch of Android users that will claim to take their business elsewhere, but we can't really take them seriously, can we?

There are some big android fanboys that would definitely balk at this but really most of them are younger aged men that don't have the purchasing power to buy expensive cars. That said I'm sure this system would have basic connectivity with all phones.

supe
03-03-2014, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Has it been stated anywhere that it won't work with Android? I highly doubt any carmaker would isolate android/windows users and offer an Apple only system. Chances are the this will be nothing more than an Apple OIS system that is compatible with Bluetooth devices and will likely have extra wrinkles for iphone users. Nothing to get your panties in a bunch as it's about time new cars had a stable infotainment system that works well and intuitively and nobody does that better than Apple.

I 100% agree with everything you said. I wonder if they will start by making the screen 3 inches by 4 inches.

Tik-Tok
03-03-2014, 01:03 PM
The danger I see is people buying this set-up, and in 4 years (2 iphone generations later) their phone won't be compatible with their car anymore.

Mibz
03-03-2014, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by schocker
Lets say you are driving along and since the maps are all wrong you drive into a river, what say you mibz? :D

I would hope it would be set up like a790 suggested though that is wouldn't be forced. lol, and yeah. I'm sure that BT streaming and a micro-UBS charger will still come standard.

Originally posted by heavyD
it's about time new cars had a stable infotainment system that works well and intuitively This should have been my main point and it's my mistake for focusing elsewhere. This isn't iOS vs Android, this is iOS vs OEM in-car entertainment. There are two types of current OEM ICE, okay and unusable. This is a HUGE step forward for ICE and I couldn't care less whether it's backed by Apple, Google or Microsoft.

rage2
03-03-2014, 01:06 PM
Substitute the word dangerous for risky. Its a risky play because you're betting on one technology company.
Not even going to bother quoting anything past this since you're completely wrong.

http://fortunebrainstormtech.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/screen-shot-2014-03-03-at-7-52-19-am.png

Very few manufacturers are betting on 1 tech company. At the end of the day, Apple's integration with cars has been ahead of everyone else since day 1 (thanks to iPods and the standard adopted by iPhones). Only a closed ecosystem can guarantee the level of stability and usability that Apple offers. I'd hate to be the Android developer that has to write integration software to cover so many different versions of the OS that changes daily, which is probably why native Android connectivity is nearly non existent.

The only real competitor to Apple's car integration is Microsoft sync + windows phone, but even Microsoft hasn't figured it all out yet as some WPs struggle with compatibility issues.

rage2
03-03-2014, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
The danger I see is people buying this set-up, and in 4 years (2 iphone generations later) their phone won't be compatible with their car anymore.
A 10 year old iPod still works in a MY2014 car with an iPod plug, minus the newer features such as album art.

mr2mike
03-03-2014, 01:13 PM
Once again apple takes some sort of technology, reboxes it and calls it cutting edge.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/POCEN/Car/AppRadio

I'm sure it will be dummy proof and easy for everyone to setup. That's what apple excels at with the cost of being locked down.

rage2
03-03-2014, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Once again apple takes some sort of technology, reboxes it and calls it cutting edge.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/POCEN/Car/AppRadio

I'm sure it will be dummy proof and easy for everyone to setup. That's what apple excels at with the cost of being locked down.
That's where Apple shines, ease of use. AppRadio wasn't and still isn't easy to get working 100%.

Mibz
03-03-2014, 01:23 PM
If Pioneer made a deal with OEMs to include that system in the majority of new cars (and it didn't suck) then I'd be praising them instead. I'm assuming CarPlay isn't gonna suck based on history. If it somehow pulls an Apple Maps then I'll be right along side everybody else complaining about it, haha.

roopi
03-03-2014, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by rage2

The only real competitor to Apple's car integration is Microsoft sync + windows phone, but even Microsoft hasn't figured it all out yet as some WPs struggle with compatibility issues.

Sync should be dead soon now that Ford has announced they are moving to QNX.

supe
03-03-2014, 01:27 PM

Not even going to bother quoting anything past this since you're completely wrong.

So you're telling me that this is 100% completely risk free?

Very few manufacturers are betting on 1 tech company.

One third of your own source is betting on 1 tech company.

roopi
03-03-2014, 01:32 PM

100% risk free. Apple is just creating an interface that will work with the cars existing ICE is the way I understand it. Apple is not replacing QNX/Sync that is running currently. They will just have the ability to make IOS run on top of it.

So if you don't have an Apple product you can continue using your existing devices with the interface provided by the manufacturer.

heavyD
03-03-2014, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike

After seeing how the cumbersome MFT crushed Ford in reliability rankings I would bet that yes manufacturers are hoping for it to be dummy proof and easy for everyone to setup.

Mibz
03-03-2014, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by roopi
100% risk free. Apple is just creating an interface that will work with the cars existing ICE is the way I understand it. Apple is not replacing QNX/Sync that is running currently. They will just have the ability to make IOS run on top of it.

So if you don't have an Apple product you can continue using your existing devices with the interface provided by the manufacturer. Are you sure about this? I think part of the big sell here is that it's cheaper for OEMs to just license CarPlay than to continue dumping money into their in-house systems. I feel like instead of "base soundsystem" and "UPGRADED COMMAND/SYNC/NAV/FLUIDIC SCULPTURE 3.4", there'll be "base" and "CarPlay".

roopi
03-03-2014, 01:41 PM
Are you sure about this? I think part of the big sell here is that it's cheaper for OEMs to just license CarPlay than to continue dumping money into their in-house systems. I feel like instead of "base soundsystem" and "UPGRADED COMMAND/SYNC/NAV/FLUIDIC SCULPTURE 3.4", there'll be "base" and "CarPlay".

No I'm not sure however my guess is all the functionality will be on the Apple product and they are creating a interface that works with QNX.

A car manufacturer is not going to use a completely Apple system that would not support other phones. On the other hand QNX supports all phones and will provide Apple with the ability to use their own IOS on top of their system.

Essentially if you don't have an iPhone you don't have CarPlay.

I can see Samsung/Android coming out with their own experience when you plug in their phones as well at some point. I can only wish BB would do the same. They should have been the first since they own QNX. :rofl:

rage2
03-03-2014, 01:43 PM

One third of your own source is betting on 1 tech company.
Completely risk free. Like Mibz says, people don't choose cars based on what phones it integrates with. Such a small number of people give a shit about in car integration.

As for some of the companies, I can only speak for Mercedes in that over 65% of owners use iPhones, so it makes sense for them to back only Apple for now. It also doesn't mean there's zero Android support. My MB still works with Android phones over BT, just with a substandard interface.

roopi
03-03-2014, 01:45 PM

I can only speak for Mercedes in that over 65% of owners use iPhones.

Where do you even find a stat like that? :nut:

rage2
03-03-2014, 01:46 PM
Where do you even find a stat like that? :nut:
In the AMG Private lounge. We get to chat every few weeks with AMG and Mercedes Benz big wigs and they give us this information when we ask about features such as smartphone integration. Most of this data comes from owners polls and questionnaires that we get to fill out once in a while for future product research.

Since I've been doing those, we've had AMG Performance Media and now CarPlay based on owners feedback.

kenny
03-03-2014, 01:53 PM
I don`t get why the Apple haters are up in arms over this and laugh at the prospect that this would change the car buying decision. If you want to use your non-apple phone, a vehicle equipped with CarPlay will not hinder your ability to do so in anyway. You would continue to use it as you do today--with limited integration. Bluetooth connectivity would continue to function and would not be dropped just because of the addition of CarPlay.

I'd hate to be the Android developer that has to write integration software to cover so many different versions of the OS that changes daily, which is probably why native Android connectivity is nearly non existent.

Apple has a huge lead in the vehicle integration space because of how dominating the ipod was in the portable music department. Fragmentation issues in Android have nothing to do with lack of connectivity or integration options in vehicles. There is less fragmentation because of planned obsolescence. Upgrading old Apple devices to the latest version of iOS makes it unusable over time, and does not guarantee compatibility with new features such as CarPlay.

Mibz
03-03-2014, 01:56 PM
A car manufacturer is not going to use a completely Apple system that would not support other phones. On the other hand QNX supports all phones and will provide Apple with the ability to use their own IOS on top of their system. Right, I should have been clearer. My thought is that if you get the upgraded CarPlay system and don't use an iPhone on it, then you're limited to the basest of functionality. No voice control or nav or anything that normally comes with an upgraded system.

Obviously it's just me speculating though. I feel like OEMs understand that nobody is going to buy a car specifically because it's iPhone-compatible and so there has to be a benefit to them licensing this technology. I assume that benefit is cost-savings by stripping their in-house system down to basic functionality and removing R&D altogether.

I can see Samsung/Android coming out with their own experience when you plug in their phones as well at some point. I'm having this conversation separately right now, haha. I think that if Samsung and Google come out with two different versions of this then they're completely missing the point, unless both versions end up in the same car. If people have to ask "Will my phone work in this car?" then you're adding a layer of uncertainty and ambiguity that, IMO, the average car buyer doesn't want.

Again, that's more speculation though. I'm not an expert with this stuff, haha.

Originally posted by kenny
Fragmentation issues in Android have nothing to do with lack of connectivity or integration options in vehicles. I'm not saying you're wrong, but if it's not a fragmentation issue, what is it? With Android holding a market share lead for this long I'd expect to see more thorough Android integration/UI in the car and home, but I don't. Am I just missing it (which is legitimate possibility) or is it not there?

rage2
03-03-2014, 02:08 PM
Apple has a huge lead in the vehicle integration space because of how dominating the ipod was in the portable music department. Fragmentation issues in Android have nothing to do with lack of connectivity or integration options in vehicles. There is less fragmentation because of planned obsolescence. Upgrading old Apple devices to the latest version of iOS makes it unusable over time, and does not guarantee compatibility with new features such as CarPlay.
Agreed as to why Apple integration is so stable. Disagree that fragmentation has nothing to do with it. Here's a good read of how different experiences there are with Android connectivity all because of product fragmentation:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-57559136-48/car-techs-guide-to-using-your-android-phone-in-the-car/

I'm not even digging up some old ass article. That was from less than 3 months ago.

And while upgrading old Apple devices doesn't guarantee support, it's the backwards support that I was referring to, where Apple standards tend to not change much during its lifetime of improvements. The iPod plug interface has been around and documented for years, and the newest spec works fine with the oldest devices (with the exception of 5V/12V charging).

schocker
03-03-2014, 02:17 PM
I don`t get why the Apple haters are up in arms over this and laugh at the prospect that this would change the car buying decision.
Just wanted to start a shit storm :rofl:

I currently utilize the bluetooth streaming/phone in my car but more features would be nice. Would be nice if say for maps, it could tether to your phone to use data to run the nav, but I am guessing it is running the app off of the phone not the headunit?

rage2
03-03-2014, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by schocker
I currently utilize the bluetooth streaming/phone in my car but more features would be nice. Would be nice if say for maps, it could tether to your phone to use data to run the nav, but I am guessing it is running the app off of the phone not the headunit?
Pretty much how I think it'll work. One thing that sucks with this integration is that it'll probably only support Apple Maps which sucks ass. Wrong traffic data, and outdated roads. It doesn't even have Stoney SE FFS lol, while Google had it the day after it opened.

Xtrema
03-03-2014, 02:25 PM

Ford ditched Microsoft and went to QNX.

If anything need simple integration, it's car infotainment. I think this is a great offer but I hope it won't be the only offer from manufacturers.

schocker
03-03-2014, 02:32 PM
Pretty much how I think it'll work. One thing that sucks with this integration is that it'll probably only support Apple Maps which sucks ass. Wrong traffic data, and outdated roads. It doesn't even have Stoney SE FFS lol, while Google had it the day after it opened.

Yeah, I would prefer google maps, I suppose you can always use bluetooth audio and stream the directions but no display. Messaging I would never use but I assume ios only, music though would be better through an ios interface, I am guessing there would be some way of at least accessing music plugged into the car through usb like how cars do now.

kenny
03-03-2014, 02:36 PM
I was saying that Android fragmentation has nothing to do with the fact that not as many vehicle manufacturers tout Android integration. I guess what I am theorizing is that if every Android phone had a special Google proprietary connector allowing integration that many car manufacturers would have still gone the Apple integration route over Android. It is only recently that Android growth has accelerated so we will start to see more Android integration options in the next few years.

As for that article, of course there will be different experiences with connecting an Android device to vehicles, they did not have the luxury of being the de facto standard and thus they do not have a proper integration method utilizing the ipod and iphone dock connector.

Xtrema
03-03-2014, 02:39 PM
End of the day, I would assume CarPlay will be a $1000 option that probably cost around the 1/4 the price of iPad Mini to implement. Less if they are not doing the touch screen head unit.

So I think a lot of car makers will jump on that bandwagon. Heck, even Chevy was selling the heck out of Siri integration with the Sonic.

As for Android, I can't even get a stable BT connection off a Nexus device, this won't happen. At best, it will be a purpose built infotainment HU based on Android (what Audi is working on).

Mibz
03-03-2014, 03:15 PM
I was saying that Android fragmentation has nothing to do with the fact that not as many vehicle manufacturers tout Android integration. I guess what I am theorizing is that if every Android phone had a special Google proprietary connector allowing integration that many car manufacturers would have still gone the Apple integration route over Android. It is only recently that Android growth has accelerated so we will start to see more Android integration options in the next few years. I don't understand the point you're trying to make here. Android phones all use a standardized (and open) port, it's software fragmentation that we're talking about here. You still haven't explained why you think it's not a factor.

they did not have the luxury of being the de facto standard and thus they do not have a proper integration method utilizing the ipod and iphone dock connector. How is this a disadvantage? Every car that has an iCable also has a USB cable, which, as mentioned, is open and standard. I understand that Android was not the de facto standard years ago, but how long do they need to be the market leader before that excuse doesn't fly anymore?

kenny
03-03-2014, 03:36 PM
I don't understand the point you're trying to make here. Android phones all use a standardized (and open) port, it's software fragmentation that we're talking about here. You still haven't explained why you think it's not a factor.

My point is Apple has done a good job at securing the in car integration market which is largely tied to the huge success of the iPod and THAT reason is why Apple in car integration is where it is today. Apple's success with dominating the in-car marketshare has nothing to do with Android fragmentation. By building CarPlay today (not sure why they waited so long) they will only solidify their lead by ensuring automakers choose Apple first and build support for other devices second.

Fragmentation is not an issue because new features are designed only for the latest phones. For example, if you bought a car with CarPlay you wouldn't be able to use it anyway since you aren't using an iPhone5. If automakers choose to support Android now with the Google Projected Mode in car system, it probably won't work older Android phones. No difference.

benyl
03-03-2014, 03:59 PM
How is this a disadvantage? Every car that has an iCable also has a USB cable, which, as mentioned, is open and standard. I understand that Android was not the de facto standard years ago, but how long do they need to be the market leader before that excuse doesn't fly anymore?

Is USB integration really as standard as you say?

When you plug in an android phone, can you surf through the folders like a USB key?

I have no Android experience, but answer me this:

How does the car know which folder to find music in on an Android device? Is it in local storage, on the MicroSD that some phones have and others don't. Is it part of a music player app? or not? Where is the album art stored?

There was an apple specific cable for my BMW and for my Mercedes. Both intgrate and show song titles, album art, etc. USB key does the same.

Mibz
03-03-2014, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Is USB integration really as standard as you say?

When you plug in an android phone, can you surf through the folders like a USB key?

I have no Android experience, but answer me this:

How does the car know which folder to find music in on an Android device? Is it in local storage, on the MicroSD that some phones have and others don't. Is it part of a music player app? or not? Where is the album art stored?

There was an apple specific cable for my BMW and for my Mercedes. Both intgrate and show song titles, album art, etc. USB key does the same. Fucked if I know, I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt here. If Android devices didn't have basic file browsing capabilities on every car then I think I would've heard about it from an Apple fanboy by now.

Do you actually have album art capabilities on a thumb drive? That's neat. If you do then I imagine an Android device following the same guidelines for location and file naming would work the same way.

rage2
03-03-2014, 04:15 PM
Fucked if I know, I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt here. If Android devices didn't have basic file browsing capabilities on every car then I think I would've heard about it from an Apple fanboy by now.

Do you actually have album art capabilities on a thumb drive? That's neat. If you do then I imagine an Android device following the same guidelines for location and file naming would work the same way.
I don't think Apple fanboys give a fuck, because their shit works and don't even bother posting while Android fanboys get their panties in a knot because nobody is supporting Android.

The only experience I have with Android is over BT, and there is no browsing of songs playlists albums etc. According to the article I posted, android devices over USB is broken, period.

USB is no longer an option (sort of...)

The ability to simply plug your phone into a car stereo via USB is one area where iOS devices still have an advantage over Android (as well as BlackBerry and Windows Phone) devices, even after the great Lightning connector scare of 2012.

Years ago, when I took my first look at methods for connecting an Android phone to a car stereo, USB mass storage connectivity was a shaky alternative method for audio playback of files stored on your phone's microSD card. However, the method was finicky at best, and too many incompatibilities between handsets and stereos forced me to stop recommending that inconsistent hack.

With the jump to version 4.x Ice Cream Sandwich, along with the switch from micro SD to internal file storage, Android devices also switched from USB mass storage to the media transfer protocol (MTP). (The change actually happened in Android 3.x Honeycomb, but most users didn't really notice it until the Samsung Galaxy Nexus debuted later in 2011 without a microSD card slot.) The idea was to make Android devices more accessory friendly and to simplify file and storage management. You'd plug your Android phone into an MTP-compatible computer and it'd have access to your file system -- no mounting of drives required, just plug and play.

Where the old USB mass storage connection was inconsistent in its compatibility with car stereo systems, the newer MTP is often simply unsupported. So far, I've only had one vehicle recognize an MTP-enabled Android handset when I, purely by chance, plugged my LG Nexus 4 into the 2013 BMW 135is' USB port for an emergency charge. Much to my surprise, the base stereo allowed me to browse the file system to play back MP3 files stored on the device. It wasn't pretty, but it worked.

Apparently, many BMW models have supported MTP playback going back a few model years at least. Undocumented, the connection method has largely gone unnoticed outside of enthusiast forums while the automaker has focused on promoting its iPhone connectivity. BMW may not be alone in this respect, so we'll keep testing car stereos for undocumented compatibility with Android's MTP connection, updating this feature as we go.

However, I don't expect to find much; automakers seem to be focusing on Bluetooth for now and screen mirroring technologies, such as MirrorLink (which we'll come back to shortly), for the foreseeable future. If your particular car and phone combination happens supports USB connectivity, whether by mass storage or MTP, consider yourself lucky.

benyl
03-03-2014, 04:16 PM
I don't know about album art. haha, sorry, I meant that USB will show song titles and has full integration with buttons on steering wheel etc.

All I know is that MB has way more Apple functions. Android is just BT streaming.

Mibz
03-03-2014, 04:25 PM
So I just went out and checked.

Borrowed a Rugby LTE running Android 4.1.2 (with music and album art stored on a Micro-SD) and compared back to back with my iPhone 4 on a 2014 Cayenne.

Functionality is nearly identical. The main difference was that plugging in the iPhone resulted in near-instant music, whereas with the Rugby it took a few minutes to load all the data. I didn't check whether it had to do this every time or just once.

Both had playlists, artists, albums, album art and all the basic functionality that goes along with it. The gauge cluster HUD showed artist and song title the same for both. Steering wheel controls also worked for both. I didn't see things like "Genre" or "Composer" on the Rugby, but they may have just been in a slightly different menu or something.

rage2
03-03-2014, 04:29 PM
A few mins to load the data? Your speakers would explode from the cold in 3 mins anyways, so you wouldn't have music regardless.

benyl
03-03-2014, 04:55 PM
2014 Cayenne.

Baller.

roopi
03-03-2014, 05:46 PM

Functionality is nearly identical. The main difference was that plugging in the iPhone resulted in near-instant music, whereas with the Rugby it took a few minutes to load all the data. I didn't check whether it had to do this every time or just once.

I've tried an S3 with MS Sync and after the first time loading it doesn't take too long to get going.

roopi
03-03-2014, 05:47 PM
So I just went out and checked.

Borrowed a Rugby LTE running Android 4.1.2 (with music and album art stored on a Micro-SD) and compared back to back with my iPhone 4 on a 2014 Cayenne.

Both had playlists, artists, albums, album art and all the basic functionality that goes along with it. The gauge cluster HUD showed artist and song title the same for both. Steering wheel controls also worked for both. I didn't see things like "Genre" or "Composer" on the Rugby, but they may have just been in a slightly different menu or something.

Subtle I drive a 2014 Cayenne post right there. :rofl:

Mibz
03-03-2014, 06:25 PM
Baller.
Subtle I drive a 2014 Cayenne post right there. :rofl: Loaner while my POS '08 is getting serviced, LOL. I just wanted people to know that I wasn't testing it in an old Kia or something, haha.

benyl
03-03-2014, 06:32 PM
Funny thing is that Kia is more likely to be compatible than the Germans.

n1zm0
03-04-2014, 08:28 AM
Funny thing is that Kia is more likely to be compatible than the Germans.

Their parent company seems to be the only one with all 4 covered on this chart, interesting that they're only M$ and Apple compatible:

http://fortunebrainstormtech.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/screen-shot-2014-03-03-at-7-52-19-am.png

edit: using it in a Volvo

http://jalopnik.com/what-its-like-to-use-apples-carplay-hands-free-system-1535929107/@barrett

kenny
03-04-2014, 11:29 AM
Interesting that CarPlay is powered by QNX. I wonder if they are building Google's Projected Mode in-car project.

rage2
03-04-2014, 11:42 AM
Interesting that CarPlay is powered by QNX. I wonder if they are building Google's Projected Mode in-car project.
CarPlay is just a communications standard to talk to iPhone 5+ devices. You can program it with whatever platform you want.

kenny
03-04-2014, 12:02 PM
Is it though? I'm surprised Apple didn't introduce their own in-car system since they like to control everything end to end.

If someone else like genivi or pioneer or whatever builds their own CarPlay system it could potentially have a different look and feel and I can't see Apple being OK with that.

rage2
03-04-2014, 12:23 PM
If someone else like genivi or pioneer or whatever builds their own CarPlay system it could potentially have a different look and feel and I can't see Apple being OK with that.
Why not? That's pretty much how the existing iPod plug standard works. My music player in my MB is completely different than the one in your Audi. It's just a communications protocol with a snazzy Apple name.

kenny
03-04-2014, 12:45 PM

Why not? That's pretty much how the existing iPod plug standard works. My music player in my MB is completely different than the one in your Audi. It's just a communications protocol with a snazzy Apple name.

The short answer: Because its Apple haha.

Just seems like CarPlay is an extension of iOS into the vehicle so it'd be something that they would want full control over so nobody for instance builds a MS tile based CarPlay user experience.

rage2
03-04-2014, 01:09 PM
The short answer: Because its Apple haha.

Just seems like CarPlay is an extension of iOS into the vehicle so it'd be something that they would want full control over so nobody for instance builds a MS tile based CarPlay user experience.
If Volvo is powering theirs with QNX it's pretty obvious that's not the case right?

You're right though, Apple would love to force a consistent look and feel across all platforms, but that would be next to impossible unless they start dictating everything from screen size, aspect ratio, resolution, OS, cpu... It's just not feasible, and nobody would adopt it. Apple might have a closed ecosystem, but that's strictly just to ensure that only their products use stuff they design. They're fairly open for developers, as long as they're developing just for Apple products.

Albertosaurus
03-04-2014, 04:28 PM
Does it play videos ?

rage2
03-05-2014, 12:35 PM
Mercedes-Benz new C class gets it. That iPad screen all of a sudden makes perfect sense! :rofl:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/auto-blog/apple-carplay-hands-on-2015-mercedes-benz-c-class

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/popularmechanics/images/IH/Apple-CarPlay.jpg

schocker
03-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Mercedes break ins are going to go through the roof when thieves see that they can easily just snap off that garmin!

benyl
03-06-2014, 01:00 PM
rumour of retrofit possible for MB:

http://9to5mac.com/2014/03/06/mercedes-benz-working-on-aftermarket-carplay-installations-for-older-vehicles/

403Gemini
03-08-2014, 10:56 AM

I vehemently hate Apple, and I absolutely would avoid buying specific vehicles based on this - not just for the $500 phone, but for shit I need to install on my computer, poor apple operating systems, consistent phone issues (in my office only 3 of us don't have apple products, and sure as shit the 3 of us hear the other guys constantly complaining about not receiving texts, calls directly to voicemail, and they all have the issues happening at the same time - not quite a coincidence), having to upgrade phones anytime they release a new hardware upgrade (since their software bricks their older technology). Buying into Apple almost becomes a life decision.

heavyD
03-08-2014, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

I vehemently hate Apple, and I absolutely would avoid buying specific vehicles based on this - not just for the $500 phone, but for shit I need to install on my computer, poor apple operating systems, consistent phone issues (in my office only 3 of us don't have apple products, and sure as shit the 3 of us hear the other guys constantly complaining about not receiving texts, calls directly to voicemail, and they all have the issues happening at the same time - not quite a coincidence), having to upgrade phones anytime they release a new hardware upgrade (since their software bricks their older technology). Buying into Apple almost becomes a life decision.

LOL. Such a BS post. Nobody buys posts like this because everyone using OIS knows it works so trying to lay claim otherwise is kind of silly.

kenny
03-08-2014, 05:30 PM
I vehemently hate Apple, and I absolutely would avoid buying specific vehicles based on this - not just for the $500 phone, but for shit I need to install on my computer

Even though it doesn't negatively affect your experience? Looking at some of the videos available online it looks like CarPlay is just another mode the in-car entertainment can switch to. On the Volvo, there is still a "MEDIA" option for connecting to other phones, in addition the "RADIO", "SAT" and "NAV" options are all still there and presumbly aren't neutered because of the addition of CarPlay.

So if you don't want to switch to Apple, nothing changes. Will car makers drop in house navigation in the future to force drivers to BYON (bring your own nav?) haha, who knows.

kenny
03-08-2014, 05:35 PM
Mercedes-Benz new C class gets it. That iPad screen all of a sudden makes perfect sense! :rofl:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/auto-blog/apple-carplay-hands-on-2015-mercedes-benz-c-class

I was thinking that the other day, all of a sudden all the new Benz designs look so nice to me. :rofl:

heavyD
03-08-2014, 07:56 PM
Will car makers drop in house navigation in the future to force drivers to BYON (bring your own nav?) haha, who knows.

There is some merit to that as automakers as well as Pioneer, Alpine, etc. have been extremely poor as far as updating maps go. Almost like they have no appetite to support them after you drive the car off the lot or purchase the hardware. Leaving it to the phone at least ensures your maps will be current.

403Gemini
03-09-2014, 11:31 AM

Even though it doesn't negatively affect your experience? Looking at some of the videos available online it looks like CarPlay is just another mode the in-car entertainment can switch to. On the Volvo, there is still a "MEDIA" option for connecting to other phones, in addition the "RADIO", "SAT" and "NAV" options are all still there and presumbly aren't neutered because of the addition of CarPlay.

So if you don't want to switch to Apple, nothing changes. Will car makers drop in house navigation in the future to force drivers to BYON (bring your own nav?) haha, who knows.

Truthfully, I havent done any research or watched any videos on CarPlay simply because Apple doesn't intrigue me at all. I've owned about half a dozen of their devices and was tired of the same bullshit. Yes, the forced hardware upgrade is a thing, when the 3gs came out my 3g ran slower, i bought a 3gs then the 4g came out - 3gs started to run like shit so i bought the 4g and at this time I bought an ipad - then the new 4gs and the new ipad were coming out and conveniently after the latest software update both my 4g and old ipad ran slow - things like making it nearly unbearable to text, even bring up the phone pad to make a phone call had a lag/delay. This isnt my personal experience - other people who have apple products experience this as well.

I wouldn't NOT buy a car because it is integrated with apple - if i can still sync my android phone to the blutooth, use voice commands, etc then i'm happy - however if a car company is stupid enough to make their car proprietary to a cell phone company who only had 19% of the market last year then they are simply retarded.

That said, as i mentioned above I haven't done much research on this simply because Apple doesn't interest me very much and really hasn't done anything new since the 3g ;)

Mibz
03-09-2014, 11:41 AM
Yes, the forced hardware upgrade is a thing Is it? My functional iPhone 4 might disagree. I'd bet that most Android users have had more than 1 phone in the time I've had this one, haha.

But, I mean, we're all pretty sure there's no way a car would be tied to one phone, ever. This whole argument is predicated on a super unlikely variable.

schocker
03-09-2014, 12:02 PM
Oh lordy, plugged an iPod into my tsx finally, worst implementation I have ever seen :rofl:
Kind of wish I had the tech

atgilchrist
03-12-2014, 08:40 PM

My buddy's G63 has that screen, it now makes much more sense haha!

rage2
04-16-2014, 01:45 PM
Just played with it in the C400 today, really sweet setup. Very intuitive, typical Apple. I used mostly voice commands to fuck around, and it just worked. Took me about a minute to figure it all out without any help.

shakalaka
04-16-2014, 02:03 PM
Damn retrofit that?! Hmmm...will have to see when more information of is available I guess.