PDA

View Full Version : Degree options - night school/correspondence

timdog
03-03-2014, 12:13 PM
I'm interested in pursuing a degree but currently work a full time job and have a family. I have a 2 year diploma at SAIT and am doing fairly well for myself but feel that my career progression might be limited down the road without a degree. I've been trying to find colleges/universities that offer degree programs in the form of evening classes and/or correspondence. There is University of Athabasca, which I know nothing about, and otherwise I'm not finding a lot of options. Also hoping that my diploma would at least account for SOME credits (maybe 1 year worth?) towards the degree. Is there such a thing as a university/education expert that could help me decipher all of the options?

roopi
03-03-2014, 12:18 PM
I think this would really depend on the type of degree you are trying to pursue. Have you determined that and does it relate to your diploma? If so let us know what it is and maybe someone can point you to the right school.

Speed_69
03-03-2014, 12:32 PM
The University of Lethbridge.

Calgary campus is in Bow Valley College downtown. Depending on your diploma, they give you full 2 years of transfer credits towards a post-diploma management degree. They only have evening classes available so it fits your needs.

I was doing this in Calgary, but moved to Lethbridge to complete the rest of my degree. The Calgary instructors aren't that great in my opinion.

http://www.uleth.ca/management/programs-degrees/undergraduate/degree-and-certificate-programs/bachelor-management/post-diploma

nickyh
03-03-2014, 12:54 PM
SAIT also offers some degrees that are done at night.

They have a few Bachelor of Applied programs and there are a few full on Bachelor programs depending on what exactly you are looking for.

I have the Bachelor of Applied Business Admin degree, it was a requirement to have a degree as a CGA - I could go back to SAIT and get the "real" degree but why bother now.

Depending on how you've been out of school you *may* get credit for courses taken but if too much time has passed you could be SOL.

http://www.sait.ca/programs-and-courses/continuing-education/degrees-and-applied-degrees.php

timdog
03-03-2014, 04:04 PM
thanks everyone. my diploma is from SAIT and is in Computer Engineering Technology, and it was over 10 years ago. I didnt expect it to give me 2 years towards a degree but was hoping it may save me a year or something like that. Bachelor of Management at U of L sounds like a decent option... I will look more into that. I am interested in a degree in management, business, etc. I hardly use my IT diploma these days....

max_boost
03-03-2014, 06:55 PM
^^^

I thought there was a 7 year expiry date on those SAIT diploma for which you can receive transfer credit?

That's good to know as I plan to go back to school but I just don't know when. It could be next year or 10 years from now lol It's one of those things that I wanna do before I die, get my bachelors lol :nut:

Speed_69
03-03-2014, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by timdog
thanks everyone. my diploma is from SAIT and is in Computer Engineering Technology, and it was over 10 years ago. I didnt expect it to give me 2 years towards a degree but was hoping it may save me a year or something like that. Bachelor of Management at U of L sounds like a decent option... I will look more into that. I am interested in a degree in management, business, etc. I hardly use my IT diploma these days....
Yeah having a computer engineering technology diploma definitely isn't going to give you two years of credits towards a management degree. My mistake for assuming you had a business diploma earlier. Sorry to say but you probably only have a couple courses you would be able to transfer, if any...and like max_boost mentioned, it's quite possible there's a limited time period that you must have taken the course prior to being enrolled. You might be able to transfer more of your courses towards a Bachelor of Science degree but unfortunately those classes are usually at the Lethbridge campus. The Calgary campus is generally aimed towards management students.