PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki 4X4s

T5_X
02-29-2004, 12:20 AM
I've heard that if you want a fairly capable 4X4 that is extremely cheap to buy and maintain, the Suzuki SJs and Samurais are hard to beat.
Anyone know much about them or have a good link for noobs?

Hahaha, I really should not even be thinking about this because I don't have the money to support my current hobbies let alone a new one, hence the inquiry about the cheapest way to get into 4X4.

ole dsm
02-29-2004, 10:42 AM
those things are hella cheap, u can find them for 1 g w/spoa and in decent shape .
they off road really well for such a small truck and they are cheap easy and fun to work on cuz they are so basic.
if ur looking to buy one u can find them easily in BC

CowTownBiomed
03-17-2004, 02:11 PM
I have two Sammys one for tooling around and one for the mud,
Great little trucks.
In Calgary the OK tire place on 17th AVE SW always has one or two kikkin around.

Lots of aftermarket parts available through "petroworks off road"

afchack
03-17-2004, 08:34 PM
suks are all about modifications, Stock, they kinda blow ass, they get threw alot cause they are so skinny compared to most 4x4s, they're stock 1.3 carbed motor kindasucks ass, makes about 60 hp, the T case, axles and springs all are light duty bull shit, if you buy one, modifying it with better axles, bigger motor, t case and tranny is cheap and pretty easy, getting parts off other 4x4s and fabing them on.

CowTownBiomed
03-18-2004, 04:31 PM
Still they are alot of fun stock.
They handle way better low...
For $800- $2500, they are pretty hard to beat for the price.

Take of the top and the look like a cute little toy.

I can pick up the ass end by myself.

Porsche911
04-26-2004, 01:53 AM
yeah i got a Lj80 or (Stockman) runs good best for offroad rust i a huge problem in these cars. Good fun tho

djstefan
05-07-2004, 02:04 PM
If you are on a budget, get a quad. I have a Mitsu Montero Sp. and used to take that off-roading. Really good truck for off-roading, but I was always too scared to get it in too deep or do crazy stuff cause it's mad expensive to fix.

So I got a Honda TRX 450 and that quad takes me everywhere. I have rolled it at least 6 times till now and it is just umbreakable.

Saves me a lot of $$ from takin the truck out and it is more fun too! :guns:

Tyler883
06-01-2004, 05:55 PM
The things is 800-2000 dollars goes along ways these days. It seems that trucks have come down in value since they stop shipping the used ones into the US.

My buddy just sold a working 1990 F150 4x4 for $1100 dollars. I tried listing my 1990 Ford Ranger 4x4 for $3000, and was willing to take as little a $2000....but I didn't even get a phone call.

The Suzukis are cute little trucks but I can't help myself from thinking a Toyota pick-up would be an all round better buy.

CowTownBiomed
06-07-2004, 03:47 PM
Its not realy fair to compair a Ford PU to a Suzuki samurai.

Like comparing your HD to my Honda.

Obviously the fords dont retain their value.

The sammy with its king pin front end are tougher than nails.

The 1300cc is realy weak on the highway but it gets better mileage than my bike.
25mpg for the sammy 22mpg for the Honda.

A $2000 sammy would be built nicley, $500 for a running stocker.

I doubt you'de find a Yoda cheeper.

ole dsm
06-08-2004, 11:27 PM
u can still find yoda's for cheap prices . around the 1 g note will get u a early 80's yoda and 2-4'g's will get u a mid 80's

whats funny is that the people who have zuki's want to put the toyota running gear in there rigs.
why not just buy a yota in the first place.... they ride better they are warmer in the winter they are safer aww hell they are just better.

CowTownBiomed
06-09-2004, 10:59 AM
Yep its funny how I go tooling past those rigs when they are stuck too..

Who needs a winch when you can lift it yourself.

I think of a Sammy as a steet legal 4 seat quad.

Im not dissn yodda's there just not the same.

ole dsm
06-09-2004, 06:18 PM
yes they are just like a 4 seat quad , i like them for the fact that u can go wheel'n down quad trails or any where for that matter just because of there size, that gives them a great advantage over a majority of 4x4's out there.

i think that suzuki should bring back the samurai!

T5_X
06-09-2004, 07:18 PM
Any literature out there for a diesel engine swap in these?

ChiNoah
06-09-2004, 11:06 PM
My friend Minh has an...88 Samurai JX i believe, and it's his project. So far he's got a lift on it, not sure how high or what all the specs are.. But i know he got it from rocky road.com. Or maybe its www.rocky-road.com Sometihn like that. Uhhhh.. Since the Samurai only had like 67 hp to start with so once he had the lift done, he had to get a new transfer case... But b/c of all that gear stuff that was done, and the bigger tires (31's, i believe) He can only get to about 60 mph at the fastest.. downhill w/ wind. He's had to get this new steering stabilizer thingy cuz the orginal wasn't strong enough to turn the new tires and stuff. A lot of work cuz these little rigs weren't meant for all this.. But yeah, its really fun to ride in. Looks like a monster, dont have any pics.
oh yeah, hope that helps, haha

CowTownBiomed
06-10-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by T5_X
Any literature out there for a diesel engine swap in these?

No I havent.
Lots of 1600cc conversion kits (motor out of a tracker)

I even know a guy who put a front end of a sammy on the back of his sammy.
Now he has 4 wheel steering.

Lots of good stuff here

Sammy stuff (http://www.petroworks.com/)

Cheers

tirebob
07-06-2004, 04:07 PM
Check out www.nolimitoffroad.com as well. These guys are known for building Killer Sammies out of B.C.