PDA

View Full Version : Accenture in Calgary

busdepot
03-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Anybody working there currently? Last thread died years ago about it, not worth reviving. Looking to maybe get into the management consulting role. I know Accenture is kind of second fiddle to the M/B/B lot. Getting on at one of those might be out of my league. But, what is Accenture's reputation like for actual staff (consultants & analysts)? I know you work long hours and can have good and bad projects/managers. How would they compare to the other shops in Calgary like Deloitte or IBM? Has anyone worked in the Calgary office? Or, more specifically, in their Finance and Enterprise Performance area? If so, what was your time there like? Also, feel free to PM if you don't feel comfortable advertizing this for all to read. It would be much appreciated.

I just finished the UFE and I'm not really interested in accounting/assurance anymore. I want to move into a decision making role where I can work on business development, corporate restructuring, managerial decision making, or transactional services. I've been at a smaller firm for a little while and I've had a taste of the advisory kind of roles with some clients and I've really taken a liking to it. I kind of want to keep the variety of work, just not doing straight audit or review work. The year-end work has just lost it's flavour this year. I like the bigger picture stuff that comes after the financial statements are done. So, I'm in the market for something like that. Getting the analyst job at a big O&G certainly has some appeal, especially after the articling/CASB/UFE processes, but I don't think I'm ready to slow down just yet. There's still some gas in the tank for the high intensity job.

BananaFob
03-04-2014, 03:16 PM
I won't name the firm that I used to be at, but I also tried my hand at management consulting early on in my career right after university. It sucked. Bad. Most people (or at least I didn't) do not realize that management consultants are basically used as political pawns by executives to blame for unpopular decisions. Mind you, I was hired at the peak of the recession and mainly we were used to "set the bar" for performance so that people could get axed. I was pretty disillusioned with it fairly quickly. If you have a strong stomach for unpopular work and long hours, go for it.

Ven
03-04-2014, 04:20 PM
They. Are. Fucking. Terrible.

finboy
03-04-2014, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by BananaFob
I won't name the firm that I used to be at, but I also tried my hand at management consulting early on in my career right after university. It sucked. Bad. Most people (or at least I didn't) do not realize that management consultants are basically used as political pawns by executives to blame for unpopular decisions. Mind you, I was hired at the peak of the recession and mainly we were used to "set the bar" for performance so that people could get axed. I was pretty disillusioned with it fairly quickly. If you have a strong stomach for unpopular work and long hours, go for it.

:werd:

Working evenings and weekends for free is expected, you get paid WAY less than o&g equivalents (but more than the big 4 pay those poor saps in audit), and even if you wow the clients it might not be "good enough" for the firm. If you do it, it looks good on your resume, but I wouldn't recommend it for the long term personally.

LOLzilla basically hits the nail on the head in this thread.
http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/deloitte-consulting/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103792&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=2

Feel free to pm me if you want, I wasn't at Accenture but they are all quite similar.

bcylau
03-05-2014, 11:46 AM
i loved this series on management consulting......

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1797404/

in calgary, it is tough to recommend management consulting. their pay is good on a national level, but its on the low end for calgary. And you would really have to manage your exit opps, unless you are on the partner track.

oh, i forgot to add, consulting is like banking, same hours and salary but no bonus.