PDA

View Full Version : FYI: Amazon.ca Prime charges

msommers
03-04-2014, 03:34 PM
Noticed on my cc statement this morning that Amazon.ca automatically billed me for prime membership - $80-something. Not sure of all the perks but faster shipping seems the only obvious one.

Didn't recall signing up or telling them I wanted membership but it was a free option previously. Seems maybe now they mass billed people if you've ever used it.

Anyways, worthwhile checking if they billed you automatically. It's super easy to cancel and stop the auto-renewal. A full refund is expected in the next couple days.

roopi
03-04-2014, 03:36 PM
When you took advantage of the free 1 year of prime it stated that it would auto renew. You actually had a year before they charged you to unselect the option in your profile.

Here's an actual FYI regarding Amazon prime. If you look up an item that is Prime eligible and then find the same item on Amazon that is not Prime eligible you will see that they are actually charging you more for the Prime items so you are paying a portion of that shipping.

I've noticed this on a few different items.

sabad66
03-04-2014, 03:38 PM
I don't recall it ever being free... why else would it be an additional service then?

Maybe you signed up for the 30 day trial last time you bought something and forgot to cancel?

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Services-LLC-Prime/dp/B00DBYBNEE/

anarchy
Same thing happened to me, but it was only a one month trial in Dec. They billed me but I canceled and requested refund, happened in a day or two.

In Canada, I believe the only perk is two day free shipping. In the States, it gives access to their ebook library as well I believe but you can't get that in Canada.

Manhattan
Anyone know if its possible to buy something from amazon.COM that's not available on amazon.CA?

Sorry :hijack:

Mitsu3000gt
03-04-2014, 03:39 PM
Sounds like you got dinged for the auto renew. When you signed up for free, there was a trial period, and once that ended there is nothing warning you you're about to get charged. Unless you had something to remind you to cancel, they get away with charging you.

I order a ton of stuff off Amazon and I'm not sure it's worth $80/yr. So much stuff ships for free, and the cheapest paid shipping option usually arrives in 2-3 days anyway.

Originally posted by Manhattan
Anyone know if its possible to buy something from amazon.COM that's not available on amazon.CA?

Depends on the product. Some products ship no problem from Amazon.com, others may not ship from Amazon, but if you check out the other retailers that sell through Amazon.com, often times they ship to Canada, even though Amazon.com themselves don't.

msommers
03-04-2014, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Manhattan

Sometimes the other sellers will ship to Canada, often at ridiculous shipping rates (like $55 to ship a pair of bike shorts lol). Sometimes it's very reasonable though, just have to try different international sellers and see what it calculates at. Kind of tedious but works well for somethings.

Otherwise you could get an american CC and address and redirect it to Canada. Or ship to a friend, etc.

Thanks for the info, Roopi. I've been using Prime for what seemed awhile now with no extra charges - guess the chickens came home to roost finally.

G-ZUS
03-04-2014, 03:47 PM
Seems like everything I try to buy off Amazon.com doesn't ship to Canada :dunno: :rofl:

BensonTT
03-04-2014, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
Seems like everything I try to buy off Amazon.com doesn't ship to Canada :dunno: :rofl:

Same, well all the good price items anyway...

Civic99
03-06-2014, 08:44 PM
If you haven't used prime at the time at renewal you can get a refund, I'm not sure if There is a timeline but I got my refund back the day after in liked refund.

nzwasp
03-06-2014, 08:46 PM
Just get them to ship it free to the border and then go pick it up.