PDA

View Full Version : Question about school and careers

theken
03-05-2014, 01:24 AM
Well, I have been toying with the idea of going to to school, problem is I am well into my life and have been making substantial money for most of my life, haven't really saved fuck all cause I like to buy stuff, (not so much anymore I have learned a few lessons along the way) I have gotten rid of a car payment and have a mortgage, kids, a wife, dogs, and bills. I want to either go to sait for a 2 year but believe I won't make enough when I come out of school to make up for lost wages for 2 years, or go all out and go to u of c get a real degree then see where that goes.
Question is I don't know what I want to take, what career I actually want, and the biggest how the fuck can I ford to go to school and still own a house. I need to make at bare bare minimum 3500 a month to cover bills and pay for kids sports and everything else. I could cut cable and internet down and save a bit but in all reality how is this possible?? I pissed away high school and am regretting. Not going to school now as I am sick of working out of town.
Any suggestions will be appreciated

Unknown303
03-05-2014, 01:38 AM
Late in the game I'd only be going to school for something you like and want to do.

Isaiah
03-05-2014, 01:39 AM
I went back to school at 30 and obtained a business degree. I had worked in various managerial roles in many different areas of business so I knew that's what I wanted to study.

It was a difficult decision as I was earning good money, and it was the hardest thing I've ever done. Between working full-time, taking a full course load, and actually studying and working hard to earn good grades, my weeks were usually about 100 hours of solid work.

The discipline paid off. When I went back to university, I met my wife, took up new sports and hobbies, and met new friends. I now own two businesses and have a completely different outlook on life than before I pursued higher learning.

Going back to university was both the most difficult thing I have done, and the most rewarding. That said, it's not for everyone.

Speed_69
03-05-2014, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by Isaiah
I now own two businesses and have a completely different outlook on life than before I pursued higher learning.

Going back to university was both the most difficult thing I have done, and the most rewarding. That said, it's not for everyone.

I'm currently 27 and went back to school part time when I was 24. I quit my full time job with a decent salary 6 months ago so that I could focus on my education and obtain better grades. It was a very difficult decision to make. I'm graduating in 2 months and don't have a position lined up yet so I don't know exactly know if this is going to be exactly financially rewarding but I couldn't agree more about having a completely different outlook on life now. I'm a much more positive and motivated person now.

theken
03-05-2014, 03:58 AM
I'm curious on jobs you can do that will make enough money and leave you enough time for sleep and study. I was thinking like night delivery driver for pepsi or sonething as they pay pretty well, but I'd be looking at 7 hours off between school and work.

Rat Fink
03-05-2014, 06:23 AM

Type_S1
03-05-2014, 07:54 AM
Does your wife work? If not, tell her to get a job and start helping out with payments. Making at least 1750 biweekly after tax while taking full time school....good luck. Truck driver may do it but getting the shifts you want to line up with school will be a challenge.

Unless you know what you want to do with school I would stay working. Only a few things in Calgary will let you graduate making 70k+ (Engineering, Geology, Geophysics, SOME business concentrations) and all in Oil&Gas. If you go to SAIT, despite what people say, you will not have a great income earning potential from most diplomas unless you already have good experience, connections, or get lucky. I know some people on here have done well with SAIT diplomas but I would likely attribute that to their work ethic or luck as I have friends who graduated with the same thing who barely make 50k/year.

Ven
03-05-2014, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by theken
Well, I have been toying with the idea of going to to school, problem is I am well into my life and have been making substantial money for most of my life, haven't really saved fuck all cause I like to buy stuff, (not so much anymore I have learned a few lessons along the way) I have gotten rid of a car payment and have a mortgage, kids, a wife, dogs, and bills. I want to either go to sait for a 2 year but believe I won't make enough when I come out of school to make up for lost wages for 2 years, or go all out and go to u of c get a real degree then see where that goes.
Question is I don't know what I want to take, what career I actually want, and the biggest how the fuck can I ford to go to school and still own a house. I need to make at bare bare minimum 3500 a month to cover bills and pay for kids sports and everything else. I could cut cable and internet down and save a bit but in all reality how is this possible?? I pissed away high school and am regretting. Not going to school now as I am sick of working out of town.

A 2 year SAIT diploma in a totally new discipline will not get you the same money right way. In fact it might never. A degree opens more doors but you're still starting from zero and it could still take years getting to a wage you were at before. 4-5 years fulltime school with a McJob, or almost double that part time. Can you afford it? Will it pay off enough? What if it doesn't work out? What if you hate it? My suggestion would be to see what's in your field of work that interests you and steer your schooling that way part time. Then you keep your industry experience and credibility.

Sugarphreak
03-05-2014, 08:40 AM

idriveabox
03-05-2014, 10:08 AM
What about u of l in the evening? Keep your day job and chip away at the courses based on your schedule and motivation. Don't discount the program because its not a "real degree". It is and I work along side U of C grads. No one cares what school is printed on the diploma (esp business)

reiRei
03-05-2014, 10:21 AM
I transitioned into a new career a couple of years ago. I started out in print design in 2005 and then moved out to the Okanagan in 2009 and found very few jobs in the way of print design.

I managed to secure a full time job at a small newspaper, but started courses online through BCIT to transition into web development. After 2 years, I was hired by a company in Vernon to do web development for them (while still doing courses online), I'm on my last 2 modules. It has taken me 4 years, but I'll have a certificate in Web Technologies while still maintaining a full time job.

If you're willing to put in the extra grind time after work, doing online or distance learning can pay off if you need to remain fully employed.

Seth1968
03-05-2014, 10:33 AM
I don't think there's any easy answer to this, as there are too many variables and unknowns.

In such cases, I decide by asking myself, "How much better can it get, and how much worse can it get with the particular decision"?

Given the info the OP has provided, I'm thinking that in this case the potential for disaster is far more likely than the potential for "something better".

Speed_69
03-05-2014, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by idriveabox
What about u of l in the evening? Keep your day job and chip away at the courses based on your schedule and motivation. Don't discount the program because its not a "real degree". It is and I work along side U of C grads. No one cares what school is printed on the diploma (esp business)
How is it not a 'real degree'? I don't want to start the whole which school is better debate but Ive spoken to a couple O&G recruiters and they look at the U of L business program better than U of C (Haskayne) and say the quality of students coming from there are better. Obviously there are many O&G companies that think the other way around too.

ercchry
03-05-2014, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Type_S1
Making at least 1750 biweekly after tax while taking full time school....good luck.

$3500/month /= $1750/2 weeks...

$3500/month= $42k annually and $1750 biweekly= $45.5k :poosie:

timdog
03-05-2014, 11:12 AM
I opened another thread about degree options via correspondence or night classes because I'm in a similar situation. the difference is that I'm fairly happy doing what I am now, making decent money and work for a great company. but I do know without a degree I may run into some roadblocks in the future.

my boss is a full time manager who probably works about 50 hours a week, plus is taking nearly full time correspondence degree classes. They are condensed 5 week classes that require papers and assignments every single week and from what I understand they take up a good 30 hours of his time each week. But he'll have his degree in another 6 months and will have so much time on his hands he won't know what to do with it. It sounds really hard and he always complains about his lack of time (and he has kids and a mortgage too by the way), but it doesnt seem to me like his work suffers from it and I think he is just used to the heavy load at this point.

his next step in this company is to move into a Director role which requires you to have a degree (company policy). there may be exceptions to this policy but my understanding is that its very difficult to get an exception and that this is also common at many other companies. So if I ever have a desire to move into upper management like that, then I need a degree as well.
anyway, he is in the US so I can't follow the same program that he is in, and was hoping to find something similar.

but in my opinion and in your situation, it would probably be much easier to find a way to complete a degree via night/weekend classes and correspondence rather than quitting your job and going to school full time. if you work for a good company, they may even support you in your efforts and pay for some of the schooling or give you time off for exams, etc.

the problem is that not all degrees have that an night/correspondence option so it depends on what you are interested in. for example many science degrees require lab work and many universities only offer these during regular mon - fri 9-5 type hours. I was looking into Geology at one point and it's essentially impossible to do that outside of regular hours.

anyway, good luck!

tirebob
03-05-2014, 11:35 AM
I think doing what you are thinking about doing can be an awesome thing, but at the same time I think that the old saying that the grass is always greener on the other side often applies. I am not unlike you. I have done tires and wheels my entire life (started in 1987 when I was 16 years old full time). It has been good to me but I can't pretend I might have made some different choices if I was starting out again today.

I was where you are where I needed to make a decision where I either walk away and follow my dreams or I commit to what I am doing and really make more than just a job out of it. In the end, I looked at my kids and wife and where we were in life, considered how it would affect their lives as well, asked myself some hard questions about what would really change if I made a move, and finally just accepted what I considered to be my lot in life and decided to continue on as best I could in the direction I was already going based on the decisions I had made in my life up until that point.

I did make a lot of changes, but they were changes that allowed me to continue down the road that was already working, but now allowing me a different level of control and freedom to do the things I love outside of my work so I could better accept the things I must do while working. Now I work to live rather than live to work and I find things to be much better in both my work and home life.

There is nothing wrong with changing careers or following your dreams, but make sure you are making a change for the right reasons. I know so many people that make big moves thinking life will be so much better and within no time they end up in that same old rut where they are sick of it and think things will be better elsewhere, when in reality it isn't the specific work that is their issue and that it really more about their mindset...

If you want to truly make a move, just make sure you have a good, solid idea of what you want to do and make a firm plan on how to get there. Don't make a big move like this and do something you are not 100% stoked about or you may end up just treading water and be no further ahead in spirit or finances...

timdog
03-05-2014, 12:06 PM
^^ great advice. I know it was directed to the OP, but thanks.

idriveabox
03-05-2014, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Speed_69

How is it not a 'real degree'? I don't want to start the whole which school is better debate but Ive spoken to a couple O&G recruiters and they look at the U of L business program better than U of C (Haskayne) and say the quality of students coming from there are better. Obviously there are many O&G companies that think the other way around too.

I'm saying it is a real degree. I went to u of l. OP mentioned he wanted a "real degree" from u of c, but there are other options out there to obtain a degree while working, like u of l.

AsianAfroSamurai
03-05-2014, 12:34 PM
There is some really great advice here.

I felt I would chip in.

First of all, this is really great that you want to do this.

The degree is more preferable than the diploma. Considering you are starting late, better go for the real deal.

Here's some points:

1) At this point, you have an inkling that education will help you further in your career and in your life but based on what you have said it's not clear that you understand what it really means. You need to know where you want to be. There has to be real clarity around what degree you want to get and how it will benefit you. A degree/diploma doesn't guarantee too much. What's your end goal? Work backwards from there.

2) If you do intend to do a degree, I would recommend doing some kind of transfer program. Doing your first two years at Mount Royal and then transfer to U of C. This is usually easier and allows one to easily transition to an established university (where the students are much more serious and competitive).

3) Push as much money as you can in your RRSP for the next couple of years. Take a bit of a long view for when you can start so you can save as much money as you can. If you do end up going full time at some point, start to draw the money out and you shouldn't get hit too much with taxes.

4) This is really important. What's your discipline like? Can you devote a couple of hours a day to study, do assignments, etc. School is not hard per se but it's hard on people that don't have the discipline to do the work they need to do to keep up and get ahead. Learning is a muscle. It needs to be exercised. Going all in into a main program without knowing your own strength in this area is foolhardy. Do you read a lot now? Do you enjoy learning? Do you have good study skills? A lot of this can be learned but it may take time.

A lot of this is time management. For example, I wake up 5:30 AM everyday (including weekends), do a workout at home, and still have an hour to work on something else. If you don't have good time management skills you will suffer big time. Especially with a family.

5) Whatever program you decide to do, how much of it can you do through online learning before you can transfer to a full time program? This would be a great approach to testing the waters before committing full time.

flipstah
03-05-2014, 12:39 PM

I would only go back to school if you definitely know what you want to do and if you see benefit in doing so.

Who said you need school to be 'successful'? You just need to find the passion to do what you want and go on from there.

Maybe start a business? Taking risk as well starting up a new education.

For me, school definitely got me where I am today but it's not everyone's path. I'm just sick of everyone saying that's it's the ONLY way to go.

Just throwing it out there. :)

ercchry
03-05-2014, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by idriveabox

I'm saying it is a real degree. I went to u of l. OP mentioned he wanted a "real degree" from u of c, but there are other options out there to obtain a degree while working, like u of l.

im pretty sure it was just in reference to an actual 4 year degree vs a 2 year diploma... but what do i know, you are the one with that there fancy learnin...

HiTempguy1
03-05-2014, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by AsianAfroSamurai

3) Push as much money as you can in your RRSP for the next couple of years. Take a bit of a long view for when you can start so you can save as much money as you can. If you do end up going full time at some point, start to draw the money out and you shouldn't get hit too much with taxes.

You can do the same thing with RRSP's for essentially "loaning yourself" money for studies as you can with buying your first home. :thumbsup:

max_boost
03-05-2014, 02:26 PM
Tough call Ken especially with a family to support. I have been thinking the same thing as well but I don't have dependents so it's easier if I do make that jump.

BrknFngrs
03-05-2014, 02:29 PM
You have oilfield field experience right? That can pair pretty well with something like a BComm in getting you a solid office job at a producer and would definitely give you a leg-up over a lot of grads :thumbsup:

M.alex
03-05-2014, 05:25 PM
If you're making 'substanial money' now, what do you think is going to happen - you'll get a 2 year diploma or a 4yr b.comm (or similar) and everybody will be lining up to suck your dick with a $500k base & performance option?

If you're making 'substantial money' now and are experienced in your industry, spend your time using that to leverage yourself into a better position, not getting a piece of paper that every 21yr old will have. Experience applied in an intelligent way > piece of paper

themack89
03-05-2014, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
If you're making 'substanial money' now, what do you think is going to happen - you'll get a 2 year diploma or a 4yr b.comm (or similar) and everybody will be lining up to suck your dick with a $500k base & performance option?

If you're making 'substantial money' now and are experienced in your industry, spend your time using that to leverage yourself into a better position, not getting a piece of paper that every 21yr old will have. Experience applied in an intelligent way > piece of paper

This man speaks the truth.

/thread

Cos
03-05-2014, 06:52 PM

Black Gts
03-05-2014, 07:32 PM
I don't know you at all, I'm kinda assuming we made similar decisions along our career paths. I'm currently 29 and somehow found my trade and I'm loving it, however I'm always looking ahead and I've decided if I get tired of what I'm actually doing I'd follow the safety route. You posted in another thread about wanting an old jo back, find an indus try you really enjoyed and find out what's needed to be the safety officer or similar. I think your previous knowledge and passion should make it an easier transition, and imo the only way to go from being in the field to am office. P. S if all the safety positions are gone when I've had enough someone here needs to hook me up with something. ;)

theken
03-05-2014, 09:26 PM
Great advice everyone, my issue is currently I do coil tubing work, have been a frac hand for many years, I am just sick of being away from home, I make great money, but my hone time is becoming less than adequate. I do jiu jitsu and have kids in sports and want to be involved more in their lives. My decision for school is not a money based decision, it is a quality of life one. I have barely any time now to study and do correspondence courses as I work 14-16 hour days, lack of sleep would catch up and I would be miserable and probably give up on one of the things (most likely school) I have no real passions, I have wanted my own business for a long time but believe I lack the education to get me there, I essentially want a job that's 40 hours a week, pays the bills, keeps the home life happy and allows me time to do things I enjoy.
I have thought about drafting, and architect as I enjoy tevhnical stuff like that, but have thought about ohs and other careers that could be challenging and fun. At this point I don't really know what options are viable, I don't see myself doing oilfield unless I can get into an office position but I don't know what degree would allow that. Writing frac programs and tuff would be interesting but you lose your home life again.

Sorry for long winded responses. I am out in the field with 1 bar service on my phone lol. But great advice keep it coming

HiTempguy1
03-05-2014, 10:00 PM
Depending on how much you "need" to live/support your family... I'd totally do a technical diploma if you can afford to work your way back up the ladder. Its kind of a "best of both worlds" combo for you (easier education than a degree = less time spent ON school during the year, plus its only two years).

Money for technologists is pretty decent if you know what you are doing as well.

Sugarphreak
03-05-2014, 10:19 PM

leftwing
03-05-2014, 10:29 PM
Great advice everyone, my issue is currently I do coil tubing work, have been a frac hand for many years, I am just sick of being away from home, I make great money, but my hone time is becoming less than adequate. I do jiu jitsu and have kids in sports and want to be involved more in their lives. My decision for school is not a money based decision, it is a quality of life one. I have barely any time now to study and do correspondence courses as I work 14-16 hour days, lack of sleep would catch up and I would be miserable and probably give up on one of the things (most likely school) I have no real passions, I have wanted my own business for a long time but believe I lack the education to get me there, I essentially want a job that's 40 hours a week, pays the bills, keeps the home life happy and allows me time to do things I enjoy.
I have thought about drafting, and architect as I enjoy tevhnical stuff like that, but have thought about ohs and other careers that could be challenging and fun. At this point I don't really know what options are viable, I don't see myself doing oilfield unless I can get into an office position but I don't know what degree would allow that. Writing frac programs and tuff would be interesting but you lose your home life again.

Sorry for long winded responses. I am out in the field with 1 bar service on my phone lol. But great advice keep it coming

If you do get an office job working 40/hr week you will probably not be making nearly as much as you are now. You said you love to buy toys and whatnot, do you think that you would get 'anxious' by not having all that disposable income anymore? I know for a lot of people it would be hard to go from being so frivolous and having lots of spending money, to not having much. Something to think about.

theken
03-05-2014, 11:59 PM
I have already changed my lifestyle drastically the last year. I got rid if my Mercedes and drive a 96 civic. Lol. What a change. I already own all of the stuff I will need for a long time. The only thing I spend money on now is jiu jitsu which is making me happier than any toy I have ever had. So my lifestyle won't change too much. I have been planning for awhile and made changes to see how my lifestyle will be affected and I enjoy it more now than I did spending all kinds of money. So change is good. I will go set up a meeting at sait and u of c and check my options. Nothing to lose really

joegrang
03-06-2014, 08:52 AM
You might also want to evaluate your assets and see if there is some stuff you can sell to pay for school or the bills while you are at school. Rental property, vacation home, etc

busdepot
03-06-2014, 09:58 AM
I have already changed my lifestyle drastically the last year. I got rid if my Mercedes and drive a 96 civic. Lol. What a change. I already own all of the stuff I will need for a long time. The only thing I spend money on now is jiu jitsu which is making me happier than any toy I have ever had. So my lifestyle won't change too much. I have been planning for awhile and made changes to see how my lifestyle will be affected and I enjoy it more now than I did spending all kinds of money. So change is good. I will go set up a meeting at sait and u of c and check my options. Nothing to lose really

theken,

I'm currently at a transition phase in my career too so maybe I can offer some insight from the other side of the fence as someone who's done the degree and then the professional path.

A worthwhile exercise you should be doing is to think about where you want to be 5 to 7 years right now. What kind of lifestyle do you want and more specifically what kind of work do you want to be doing? Once you establish the long term objectives and desires, the path you need to be looking for might be a little bit clearer. As someone with a wealth of experience in frac and coil, would you want to stay in the same field and leverage your past experience to climb up faster? Or, would you want to go with something completely different such as finance or something in the health care field, for example. I guess something you need to be aware of, which I'm sure you are, is that simply having a diploma or a degree isn't necessarily going to answer your dilemma. My brother got his engineering degree and is in the Mac now away from his life in Calgary. So it needs to be treated as a tool to get you to where you want, not as THE answer. There are other options.

Does sitting somewhere in an office appeal to you? As someone who's been in the field for some time now, do you think that's a transition that you would be able to adapt to? Building on that, when you got to an office, what do you want to be doing when you get there? Is there something that interests you that people in the 8-5 are doing now? I guess you need to consider FIRST where you want to be and THEN how you want to get there. As you mentioned, school will certainly have a cost associated with it. Get out there and talk to people you know in the office with your company now and other people you know who are in that place now. The opportunity cost is huge right now at your stage. That being said though, you family is important and there could be some real tangible long term benefits. So make sure you're looking at the long term return on investment of formal education, not just initial impacts. You can't think about it as just simply wanting a job in Calgary because you could do that now. You need to look at it from an overall career standpoint and look at if and how formal education will impact your career and if that schooling will put you to where you want to be long term.

Now that being said, with your experience in oilfield, have you considered the engineering route? While it may sound a bit mundane in the Calgary market (oh look, another engineer), the career opportunities here give you a ton of options. You also would have formal tutelage to back up your work experience which could help you land a great gig in the city. There's the technologist (diploma) route and there's degree route which AFAIK is the way to the P.Eng. From what I've seen, P.Engs are often tapped to the management route before technologists. Not always, but from what I've seen, that's usually how it goes. Tech's do great work and SAIT does have some really good programs. Along with this, U of C has a decent engineering school with lots of smart people coming out into great careers.

Right now, based on the bit of information you mentioned up front, you need $3500/month. This right now is not enough. You need to also consider tuition, books, incidentals, etc. A 4-year engineering degree runs around $30,000 in Canada by the time you've looked at books and all the other costs. So that's $7,500 a year plus your minimum living costs of $42,000 per year. So at a minimum, you need $50,000/year after tax ($64,023 gross in Alberta for 2013). Is the lady working? If not, could she? The other option that is available to you is student loans. While yes debt can be dangerous, especially with a mortgage, you need to look at the long term return on this investment. Would you be able to make another $30,000 a year with an engineering degree in Calgary with your experience? If yes, you have a roughly 5 year cash return and you have the life you may be looking for. There's also the internship route and the summer jobs. With your experience, you could get some pretty good gigs and could certainly take some of the edge off financially. What would the cost of this be on your family life? Would your relationship with your wife and kids have been irreparably strained? Big decision, dude, and money plays a big part, but so should you your family's long term happiness. I don't know too many people who have said they really regretted going back to school though.

Best of luck man. And obligatory, OP is a faggot. You know, just to bring some edge back :thumbsup:

revelations
03-06-2014, 01:14 PM

You're heading in the right direction, however I would STRONGLY advise against going back to school just because you want stay in the city.

I would quit the O&G gig, find something local that pays decent and that you like to do. It wont be O&G money, but not min wage for sure either.

Explore your potential, perhaps volunteer for something, meet new people and expand your circle. Take a look at WOWJOBS or INDEED and browse through available positions in a field you might be interested in. If there is a position that keeps catching your attention, and requires a 3-6 month course - then I would MUCH rather recommend that than a full on reboot of your life.

I've gone through 3 career changes in my life and they have been better each and every time. Now I work for myself full time. The BEST education (after the fundamentals) is the school of hard knocks - and why many places will hire someone with experience (even if they lack some education) rather than a piece of paper.

One more point for self-employment, you have potential for limitless growth. No one will hold you back except yourself.

ercchry
03-06-2014, 01:22 PM
if you've already cut expenses why not just keep on trucking till you have enough coin saved to take 4 years off from working? or put your extra money to work in a way that you are getting the $3500 in dividends each month?

busdepot
03-06-2014, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
if you've already cut expenses why not just keep on trucking till you have enough coin saved to take 4 years off from working? or put your extra money to work in a way that you are getting the $3500 in dividends each month?

Saving up $250k for school (more if you want to live off it) is a task in itself. Then you're also pushing back that change for however many years it takes to save that much which shortens the time you have to actually enjoy the harvest years of your career. Don't forget OP wants to spend time with his family which is the reason for the change, not so much money.

BrknFngrs
03-06-2014, 02:06 PM
...or put your extra money to work in a way that you are getting the $3500 in dividends each month?

Put any thought into how much invested capital the OP would need to actually make this happen in a reliable fashion? ;)

ercchry
03-06-2014, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs

Put any thought into how much invested capital the OP would need to actually make this happen in a reliable fashion? ;)

depends if leveraged or not... im just trying really hard to not mention real estate in another thread :rofl:

but it also depends on what the definition of "substantial income" is ;)

ercchry
03-06-2014, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by busdepot

Saving up $250k for school (more if you want to live off it) is a task in itself. Then you're also pushing back that change for however many years it takes to save that much which shortens the time you have to actually enjoy the harvest years of your career. Don't forget OP wants to spend time with his family which is the reason for the change, not so much money.

you tricky accountants should be a bit more creative...

$3500/month x 4 years = $168k.... BUT school is only 8 months a year... so its actually $112k and 4 months to work high paying summer out of town whatever job...

so in reality if he has an income of $150k right now... and living off of only $42k... he could bank a solid $50k/year and his summer high paying work would cover the following school year's tuition... meaning he needs $112k+ first year's schooling saved up or 2.5 years or so of work till he starts his new schooling :poosie:

i think we can all agree though that focusing only on his schooling vs work and schooling would mean a much nicer home life for the kids and well worth the 2.5yr wait and more likely to actually go for the 4 year degree vs 2 year diploma

busdepot
03-06-2014, 02:27 PM

but it also depends on what the definition of "substantial income" is ;)

If he generate and bank enough capital to earn $3,500 in dividends monthly in a relatively short amount of time, this thread wouldn't be here.

And dividends? Come on, Eric. Be aggresive :)

ercchry
03-06-2014, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by busdepot

If he generate and bank enough capital to earn $3,500 in dividends monthly in a relatively short amount of time, this thread wouldn't be here.

And dividends? Come on, Eric. Be aggresive :)

more in the sense of passive income... not necessarily dividend paying stocks

busdepot
03-06-2014, 02:33 PM
I guess you have to look at it that OP is trying to decide if the schooling itself would be worth while for him. Coming up with a way to finance the process is an important discussion, but it's not the decision OP is trying to make right now.

He's at the conceptual stage to see if the school will help improve his time available for his family and personal life. Yes, the money is a big consideration and there are certainly many ways he could finance it (you should see some the shit I've seen in 2014 so far). But I think we're still trying to find out what OP's goals are and what his career aspirations are.

ercchry
03-06-2014, 02:36 PM
ah, there is that accountant trickery... changing the focus of the conversation all together :poosie:

very out of box, much wow

busdepot
03-06-2014, 03:15 PM
such snake. very win. amaze. :)

theken
03-07-2014, 01:59 AM
I've got a question about mature students. I read on sait and u of c and u of L and mt royal that you do not need to graduate high school ( I did graduate ) but I fucked around in high school, how does admissions work when your schooling is "sub standard" so I just do like an SAT or do they make you take a year of upgrading?

theken
03-07-2014, 02:07 AM
My goals at the end of the day aren't financially driven. I am looking for a nice balance of work and home life. If I only make 60-80k I'm happy with that. My wife does work, but her job is a day home which actually costs us a lot of money as electricity and food bills get a little crazy so she can't really do much more. I am leaning towards a business degree, but I have been really interested in sciences lately, chemistry and physics. I really have no idea lol. I'm really just wanting a huge change and am excited to better myself. I think I need to have a good old fashioned sit down at home and do some soul searching to see what I can do, I was offered a great job if it pans out in the near future that would be pretty much set my own hours and make a decent wage as a weight loss coach. Which I could definitely see myself doing while on school and what not so maybe things are panning out the way they should

Sorry my replies are a big jumbled mess, iphone, running a fluid pump, no service lots on my mind lol. Thanks again everyone for the contributions. And m.alex I don't expect anybody to pay me huge right out of school or suck my dick. But your idea on furthering the career I am in is great, but not for me, I want out of this industry in general.

theken
03-07-2014, 02:10 AM
Oh and if I really need to I have about 30k in rrsp 5k in tfsa and 200k in home equity that could be used for funding. I'm no too concerned about the financial aspect, but if I can work and do school I would rather not take all my savings and owe a bunch more money. Coming out of school with minimal debt is key

My_name_is_Rob
03-07-2014, 03:57 PM
Oh and if I really need to I have about 30k in rrsp 5k in tfsa and 200k in home equity that could be used for funding. I'm no too concerned about the financial aspect, but if I can work and do school I would rather not take all my savings and owe a bunch more money. Coming out of school with minimal debt is key

What about a trade? You would have to start out at a reduced rate, but the cost for going to school would be a lot less, and there is a lot of local jobs.

The_1
03-07-2014, 04:50 PM

$3500/month /= $1750/2 weeks...

$3500/month= $42k annually and $1750 biweekly= $45.5k :poosie:

you forgot about taxes

ercchry
03-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by The_1

you forgot about taxes

no... cause net, is net is net, is.... uh.... net

RX_EVOLV
03-07-2014, 05:06 PM
I would stay away from chemistry or physics unless your intention is to pursue a phD, or any other medical professions like dentistry and medicine. It is very difficult to get a decent job in Calgary in the biotechnology field and lab technicians-like positions are hard to come by, unsatisfying and not well compensated. To avoid being a 'lab rat', people oven go into market analysis (most companies are Vancouver or Toronto based) or sales rep (lots of travelling).

Good luck!

msommers
03-07-2014, 05:16 PM
Ken, can I ask what specifically you do now? Is it the type of work you're doing that is not enjoyable, or the fact you're out of town, or both?

As for future goals, is school seen as a way to have more time with the family, a more satisfying job (which as stated isn't financially driven), or both?

Darkane
03-07-2014, 05:24 PM
If your company has headquarters here in town and you like them I'd do this:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/380105/haskayne-emba-throughts/

See if they'll help you out financially.

Move up to Management!

theken
03-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by My_name_is_Rob

What about a trade? You would have to start out at a reduced rate, but the cost for going to school would be a lot less, and there is a lot of local jobs. I have tried the trade route and it was not for me, it was also one of the highest paid trades and I just couldn't donut everyday the rest of my life.

Originally posted by msommers
Ken, can I ask what specifically you do now? Is it the type of work you're doing that is not enjoyable, or the fact you're out of town, or both?

As for future goals, is school seen as a way to have more time with the family, a more satisfying job (which as stated isn't financially driven), or both?
I am a coil tuber currently, I have been involved in the frac industry otherwise pretty much the same stuff different pile. Job is not enjoyable, I hate my I hate freezing my ass off all day, I hate lots of stuff about these jobs.
So more satisfying job and home life is what's important

GQNammer
03-07-2014, 08:20 PM
I've got a question about mature students. I read on sait and u of c and u of L and mt royal that you do not need to graduate high school ( I did graduate ) but I fucked around in high school, how does admissions work when your schooling is "sub standard" so I just do like an SAT or do they make you take a year of upgrading?

I can only speak on my own experience, but 3 years ago, direct entry as a mature student to get my b.comm at the University of Calgary required me to have an average of 80% between English 30 and Math 30 Pure. You will need to upgrade these courses if you do not meet this criteria. This should be the least of your concerns though since your opening post stated you have no idea what you're going back to school for. You need a goal and focus on that.

Then there's the time commitment. I will fully admit that going into school, I had the mentality that, "Hey I'm a mature student with a mortgage to pay and a family to raise. My 2.6gpa shall suffice." It took me 1 1/2 years to realize that means absolutely dog fucking shit to employers. I'm in my 3rd year now and had to bust my ass off to make up for the shitty 2.6gpa. All the meanwhile still raising my daughter and doing all the extra curricular activities a child does. You must make the time to actually put more than 50-60% effort into your studies or else it's all for nothing. But I guess it just depends on what degree you wish on pursuing.

And then there's finances. Just have a look over how you will be able to manage and go from there. Sacrifices will need to be made somewhere. You need to identify this area before it all blind sides you.

I do admire you for even considering going back to school at a later age. It's no walk in the park but if you can set yourself up right, put in the hard work, and still be there for your kids, the payoff will be ever so sweet.

Good luck

03ozwhip
03-08-2014, 11:29 AM
I went through this last year. my family was having a lot of issues with childcare and odd working hours, so I decided to make a change. I started working in the oilfield for the first time in my life at 32 years old as a grunt.

fast forward to now, I decided that the money is in the trades, so I took up a trade and I just finished my first week of school yesterday.

I know you said working away from home isn't what you want to do, but with all of the different shift schedules for actual trades(not fraccing etc) there is at least a better work/life balance than what you're doing.

for me, I'm into the trades not to do it for the rest of my life, but to get the schooling and experience to get my blue seal and get more into the management aspect of it. At my age, I don't want to bust my ass doing it for the rest of my life, so I'm gonna bust my ass to get where I want.

I finished high school, but I still had to do an equivalence exam with the apprenticeship board, since I'm so fucking old lol plus for most of the trades, you can still do it at home, albeit it will be less money, but good money can still be had at home.

pm me if you have any other questions, I might be able to answer them.

tirebob
03-09-2014, 12:57 PM
If you can sock away cash for school, have you thought about opening a small business in some area of interest instead? No need to go crazy, but a decent small business can afford you more control over your life and a decent living...

stillworking
03-09-2014, 01:56 PM
My suggestion would be continue trimming back your expenses and building capital so when you do find a path you'd like to follow, you can do so.

You should take an honest look at your ambition, aptitude, skills, and interests inventory. Base your decisions on actual facts and make sure to challenge your assumptions. For example, somebody may think they will enjoy working in the office on spreadsheets, but unless they have actually worked in the office on spreadsheets they may not be cut out for office work. Furthermore, some people like the idea of going back to school, but the fact that they have watched TV 5hrs a day for the last 10 years says their not gonna have a good time. Whatever you do, just be careful you don't set yourself up to fail. Also consider the overall industry, demand, and future outlook for your chosen path.

For the record, I've never met a small business owner that works only 40hrs a week.

max_boost
03-09-2014, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by stillworking
My suggestion would be continue trimming back your expenses and building capital so when you do find a path you'd like to follow, you can do so.

You should take an honest look at your ambition, aptitude, skills, and interests inventory. Base your decisions on actual facts and make sure to challenge your assumptions. For example, somebody may think they will enjoy working in the office on spreadsheets, but unless they have actually worked in the office on spreadsheets they may not be cut out for office work. Furthermore, some people like the idea of going back to school, but the fact that they have watched TV 5hrs a day for the last 10 years says their not gonna have a good time. Whatever you do, just be careful you don't set yourself up to fail. Also consider the overall industry, demand, and future outlook for your chosen path.

For the record, I've never met a small business owner that works only 40hrs a week. I like this post. Be realistic. Not a lot of time for experimenting especially when you have at min. $3500 in monthly bills. :nut:

carson blocks
03-09-2014, 06:00 PM

I'm in a similar boat as for wanting or needing to go back to school. Like you, I've got a solid career with a healthy income, but my need to go back is that I'm going to top out in the next couple years and not be able to make a move to a good management position due to not having a degree of some sort. I also fucked around in high school but somehow figured that in my 30s the schools would care more about career success, intelligence, aptitude, knowledge, or really anything more relevant than my high school grades, but I guess not.

I applied to SAIT as a mature student a couple years back, they basically told me to fuck off due to my high school marks. They had some courses I could take to upgrade, or I think they said I could go do a GED and use that to upgrade marks in the basic courses. I checked with Athabasca and they do an open university thing, so they'll accept anyone with the money, and I could do pretty much everything remotely while working my day job, but I'm just not sure their degree will be acceptable to employers, especially the O&G majors.

Unlike you though, I'm not willing to quit work and go back full time. Aside from wanting and needing the income, I'd lose more both financially and career wise in taking 4 years off than I'd gain with the degree.

theken
03-10-2014, 03:00 AM
My actual "bills" are around 2600. I was just factoring in extra money cause I like to have extra money. Mayve i'll take a few courses to upgrade see of I can do it with my spare time then look deeper into uni, I'm just lost, there's soany options and careers to choose from, I wish in high school someone would have told me "hey, you need good classes and marks to succeed in life"

Type_S1
03-10-2014, 06:22 AM
^ I'm sure many people did, you were just not listening !

theken
03-10-2014, 09:07 AM
Lol. Perhaps that's true. I was more into sports and parties. Didn't want to be bothered with school. Guidance councilor did steer me down the wrong path though. I inquired about the 33 vs 30 she told me they are essentially the same but the 33 is just a bit easier

beyond_ban
03-10-2014, 10:43 AM
I'm headed back to school in the fall, but luckily for me I only have to upgrade my math 30-1. I passed all the other 30-1 courses, albeit not by much, but man am I ever thankful I have credits for them. Makes upgrading so much easier.

I wonder how difficult it is going to be to jump back into math 30-1 after many years away from school. Might have to look into a private tutor.

Dumbass17
03-10-2014, 11:31 AM
I've been reading this whole thread and thankfully (I think), I have become motivated as well to 'figure life out'.
I'm kind of jealous of those kids in my highschool that had their life panned out, what school to go to, what courses/programs to take and where they want to work and what they want to do.
It's very hard to figure life out when you don't care about anything other than surfing, travel and getting laid....sigh...reminds me, I need my lotto max tickets :cry:

trevh
03-10-2014, 09:00 PM
I love it! This is full of so much win! I knew Cal Frac would catch up to you...

theken
03-10-2014, 11:00 PM
Been gone from Calfrac for 2 years....and I left there before to work concrete for 5. oilfield and life caught up to me. Wasn't going to go anywhere at pepsi either lol. Couldn't even get into sales

tirebob
03-12-2014, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by stillworking

For the record, I've never met a small business owner that works only 40hrs a week. I am a small business owner and while I work 50/60 hours a week during my busiest season (Oct, Nov and part of Dec), in my slow seasons I work 20/25 hrs a week for a few months in a row, then back to around 40 hrs for a couple months again, then back down to 20/25 per week until Oct hits again. I also get to take a lot of time off. Usually 4 to 6 weeks minimum a year, and often more.

Now you could definitely get in over your head in a small business and be absolutely married to it if you let it get hold of you like that, but I built and grew my business my way so I could make the money when it's there, and still easily manage it during the slow periods and take advantage of those time for my personal life.

How much time you work depends on the type of business you want and how you structure it. I work as much as I have to so it is successful, but not so much I don't like being in business. Everything comes down to structure and time management...

trevh
03-12-2014, 03:17 PM
Been gone from Calfrac for 2 years....and I left there before to work concrete for 5. oilfield and life caught up to me. Wasn't going to go anywhere at pepsi either lol. Couldn't even get into sales

Either way mate, your mind is on the right track. Find something you're passionate about, learn it and get after it. Family is important and you are doing it for the right reasons.
Good luck with the journey, anyone can do it. I am proof
Trev