PDA

View Full Version : M-Coupe Questions

flipstah
03-05-2014, 09:27 AM
I've always had a thing for shooting brakes, especially the 06 M-Coupe:

http://forums.finalgear.com/attachments/post-your-car/my-2007-bmw-e86-z4-m-coupe/66d1332703842-t4-pr-march-2008.jpg

I know some of you here on Beyond owns this year or the earlier versions of it and I'm just curious as to how useful the car is as a daily driver?

- It's a BMW so it has a strong inline-6 but is maintenance expensive or typical German costs?
- How useful is that coupe shape in the back? Are the seats fold-flat?
- How much should you expect these in the used market if you can even find one?

ZeroGravity
03-05-2014, 10:20 AM
I don't have one, but I know that there's no seats in the back (if that's what you're referring to when you asked are the seats fold-flat).

sputnik
03-05-2014, 10:24 AM
Can the Z4 M coupe really be considered a shooting-brake car?

Euro_Trash
03-05-2014, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Don't think so, not as a 2-seater

flipstah
03-05-2014, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Originally posted by Euro_Trash

Interesting. What's the proper definition of a 'shooting-brake'?

dirtsniffer
03-05-2014, 11:06 AM
Shooting brake generally refers to a sporty car that has utility in the form of a hatch; I am not sure if a back seat is a requirement for that. But in this case BMW did add considerable utility in the hatch version, so maybe it does qualify as a shooting brake.

I believe the term you were looking for was clown shoe, which was a reference to the previous generation m coupe.

This car was the swan song for the S54. I would totally rock one.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-05-2014, 11:11 AM
My dads was a convertible but he drove his every day for over 5 years and never once got stuck. Upkeep is $$$ if you do it right, and they are not at all fuel efficient if you aren't driving like a grandma everywhere. Can't speak for practicality of the Coupe but the convertible had a decently sized trunk.

speedog
03-05-2014, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash
Sounds like you're spot on - Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting-brake#Contemporary_usage_and_examples) for what it's worth.

benyl
03-05-2014, 11:17 AM
The S54 drinks fuel even when you drive like a grandma. It also eats rear tires even though it doesn't have much torque.

Nate
03-05-2014, 11:27 AM
I have a Z4si Coupe. I have been able to get 2 hockey bags and 2 overnight bags in the hatch. The M coupe has the battery in the hatch rather than underneath the hatch. So you lose a little room there. I have had mine for 6 1/2 years and drove all year round with no issues.

It seems that the M coupe is starting to become somewhat a collector car and prices are holding around $30-35K point depending on condition. It is a rare car with around 1800 produced for North America. Check out zpost for all your questions about it.

flipstah
03-05-2014, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Nate
I have a Z4si Coupe. I have been able to get 2 hockey bags and 2 overnight bags in the hatch. The M coupe has the battery in the hatch rather than underneath the hatch. So you lose a little room there. I have had mine for 6 1/2 years and drove all year round with no issues.

It seems that the M coupe is starting to become somewhat a collector car and prices are holding around $30-35K point depending on condition. It is a rare car with around 1800 produced for North America. Check out zpost for all your questions about it.

2 hockey bags? You think it can fit goalie gear easily?

Nate
03-05-2014, 12:46 PM
Depends on the size of the gear. I also have smaller (older) goalie gear and was barely able to fit it in. If you have bigger pads then I doubt it. They can always go on the passenger seat haha.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-05-2014, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by benyl
The S54 drinks fuel even when you drive like a grandma. It also eats rear tires even though it doesn't have much torque.

Grandma driving on the highway seems ok, I saw under 8L/100km at the speed limit once with the roof down in my dads about 250km trip.

HiSpec
03-05-2014, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
Shooting brake generally refers to a sporty car that has utility in the form of a hatch; I am not sure if a back seat is a requirement for that. But in this case BMW did add considerable utility in the hatch version, so maybe it does qualify as a shooting brake.

I believe the term you were looking for was clown shoe, which was a reference to the previous generation m coupe.

This car was the swan song for the S54. I would totally rock one.

Would the BMW's 'Gran Turismo' be considered as shooting brake design?

flipstah
03-05-2014, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

Grandma driving on the highway seems ok, I saw under 8L/100km at the speed limit once with the roof down in my dads about 250km trip.

That's pretty good. How big is the tank?

95EagleAWD
03-05-2014, 03:01 PM
I can post my Z3-based experiences after work if you'd like. Same engine and shit.

flipstah
03-05-2014, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
I can post my Z3-based experiences after work if you'd like. Same engine and shit.

Please do. :)

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-05-2014, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

That's pretty good. How big is the tank?

50L or 48L or something, it's small.

flipstah
03-05-2014, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

50L or 48L or something, it's small.

Actually now that I think of it, that's VERY good. I get 9-10L/100kms on the Golf so even with a tiny tank, it can match or exceed what I get on the Golf now. :eek:

max_boost
03-05-2014, 03:35 PM
It's more dynamic flip but I would keep the Golf lol

benyl
03-05-2014, 03:49 PM

Actually now that I think of it, that's VERY good. I get 9-10L/100kms on the Golf so even with a tiny tank, it can match or exceed what I get on the Golf now. :eek:

You're kidding right?

Haha, you are basing the fuel economy of the M-coupe you are potentially purchasing based on one highway trip, by one dude on the internet that drove at the speed limit for 250 kms.

My average consumption, for the time I owned an S54, was ~15L / 100kms. That is a mix of city and highway. Commuting to work and WOT.

flipstah
03-05-2014, 03:55 PM

You're kidding right?

Haha, you are basing the fuel economy of the M-coupe you are potentially purchasing based on one highway trip, by one dude on the internet that drove at the speed limit for 250 kms.

My average consumption, for the time I owned an S54, was ~15L / 100kms. That is a mix of city and highway. Commuting to work and WOT.

LOL jeez, benyl! :P

Just a thought. :D 15L? Fuck that shit. :rofl:

Hallowed_point
03-05-2014, 04:39 PM

LOL jeez, benyl! :P

Just a thought. :D 15L? Fuck that shit. :rofl:

I'm not too shocked..if you're driving it like a sports car you're going
to get shitty mileage :rofl: I get around 15 L/100 kms city.

Could be worse at least I don't drive a hummer.

I've also managed to get sub 8 L/100 kms on the highway in
the same gas pig. YMMV..

Don't let fuel consumption stop you. Gas up at canadian tire and
rake in the dough :love:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-05-2014, 04:53 PM

You're kidding right?

Yeah gonna have to agree with Benyl here, even though it's capable of good fuel economy the average was far far worse, closer to 17L/100km in the city if you drive normally.

max_boost
03-05-2014, 05:34 PM
If yo gonna drive it to conserve gas you might as well drive a Civic, bro.

buh_buh
03-05-2014, 10:27 PM
These things are only fun when you drive them the way they're supposed to be driven. If you want a car that's good on gas, don't bother. If you want a car that's practical, don't bother. If you want a car that's cheap to maintain, don't bother. If you drive around like a little bitch, don't bother. If you want a car that'll give you a shit eating grin every time you get in it, then this is the car for you.

danno
03-05-2014, 11:07 PM
I went from a gti to a rs4... 7L/100km to 12L/100km. Those are number when driving conservatively.
I wouldn't worry about gas costs if that is a issue to you. Enjoy the car for what it is.

95EagleAWD
03-06-2014, 04:52 AM

Please do. :)

It is a shooting brake, first off.

M Coupe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bmw_m_coupe)

I've had mine for just over a year now, and although it's the Z3-based M Coupe, the engine is the same and the practicality is probably similar. I drive it year round, and have put over 24,000 miles on it since I bought it.

First off, it is a bit of a pig on gas. I get about 250 miles to a 50L tank. That's commuting. I'm sure straight highway would be a little better, and when I had it out on track days, I'd go through half a tank in an evening. On the other hand, I don't care. I didn't buy it to hypermile it, that's for sure. So if spending 60 bucks a week on gas is a detriment, there you go.

My maintenance has been oil changes so far. It could probably use a valve adjustment and I'll do that before summer hits. Other than that, it's needed a TPS sensor when it failed ($120 and five minutes of labour) and a new washer pump. I've had good luck on repairs on both my BMWs, so YMMV. I do find them to be solid, reliable cars though. Mine's at 107,000 miles now and I can't see that being a problem.

The Coupe is surprisingly useful. I can fit two hockey bags in the back, and the sticks just slide in next to the passenger seat. Excuse the Instagram pics, but proof it can be done. For two people, there's plenty of luggage space. I'm not sure about the Z4, but the Z3 has a dog net you can pull up to keep your puppy in the back as well.

http://distilleryimage5.ak.instagram.com/9473d5727e1111e2b60722000a9f09f0_7.jpg

I'm not sure about the Z4, but the Z3 can take a roof rack for any large items. I put skis on it all the time and have been all over the place, Banff, Louise, Nakiska, Fernie, Revy... with good Blizzaks I've never had it stuck in the snow. And no, it's strictly a two-seater; no back seats.

http://distilleryimage5.ak.instagram.com/d5838132770f11e3a19f1235c6a13e7d_8.jpg

I'm not quite sure what the market is for Z4s, but here's the ONLY site you should look at, really.

http://www.z4mcoupebuyersguide.com/

As for driving it, the Z3 is a blast. The S54 is obviously an amazing engine. There's plenty you can do to mod it. It handles very well, and oversteer is so easily done it's hilarious. This thing will roast tires all day if you want. And if you go aftermarket, you can fit up to 315s in the rear with no bodywork, so tires can be as fat as you want.

It's comfy enough for long trips. My dad and I did 7,000+ KMs in it, and we weren't sore at all. I have a longer one up north planned this summer.

Also, they're rare. I've come across two other Z3M Coupes in a year. One in the USA, one here. The odds of running into another one (Z3 or Z4) is slim, if that's important.

It is the best car I've ever owned. Better than the NSX, S2K, and definitely the Evo 8. It's fast (enough), handles well, fun on a track but equally as good as a GT car, and turns heads. People don't know what it is.

I love it. I can't see myself getting rid of it.

flipstah
03-06-2014, 10:01 AM

Interesting... Thanks for that write-up and photos! :thumbsup:

95EagleAWD
03-06-2014, 10:03 AM

Interesting... Thanks for that write-up and photos! :thumbsup:

No problem. Any other questions, lemme know. I'll answer what I can.

Hallowed_point
03-06-2014, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
These things are only fun when you drive them the way they're supposed to be driven. If you want a car that's good on gas, don't bother. If you want a car that's practical, don't bother. If you want a car that's cheap to maintain, don't bother. If you drive around like a little bitch, don't bother. If you want a car that'll give you a shit eating grin every time you get in it, then this is the car for you.

Couldn't agree more..:hitit:

Hallowed_point
03-06-2014, 10:29 AM

No problem. Any other questions, lemme know. I'll answer what I can.

250 miles/50 L tank is hardly a pig to me. That's damn impressive mileage if you're driving it hard in my books.

JustinMCS
03-06-2014, 10:30 AM
For what it's worth, I definitely consider the Z3 Coupe and Z4 Coupe and M Coupe variants to be of the shooting brake design. Long hood, sloping hatch rear. I find them striking and gorgeous.

"In contemporary usage, the term shooting-brake has broadened to include a range of vehicles from five-door station wagons — to three-door models combining features of a wagon and a coupé."

95EagleAWD
03-06-2014, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point

250 miles/50 L tank is hardly a pig to me. That's damn impressive mileage if you're driving it hard in my books.

Well it's no Civic haha.

95EagleAWD
03-06-2014, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point

Couldn't agree more..:hitit:

They are incredibly fun to drive.

Clarkson said it best. They're a hooligan car.

blitz
03-06-2014, 12:32 PM
I drool every time I see a Z3M Coupe. I'll just get some latch points welded into the trunk and throw the kids carseats back there....

Skyline_Addict
03-06-2014, 01:52 PM
these cars are so eye catching

bspot
03-06-2014, 05:14 PM
M54 engines and their variants are a horribly laid out platform.

I've gone through 3 CVVs on one car. If you have to leave this car outside for an extended amount of time in cold temeratures, you run a very high risk of this common failure. Worst case it floods your engine with oil and it hydrolocs.

The CVV is of a horrible design, and their "update" was to wrap everything in foam rubber for insulation, which means it barely fits in the stock location anymore. The location demands that the hoses run to it are way too long and have too many 90 degree bends. The dipstick tube is of a horrible design all to hide sludge from showing on the dipstick, but at the cost of very small passageways that can accumulate moisture and freeze up into the CVV itself, ruining it.

Best case your car won't start, or it will run horribly and you are in for an expensive repair, or 6 hours under your hood slicing up your hands. You'll probably have just blown your valve cover gasket as well.

Both the starter and the CVV are under the intake manifold. Removing the intake manifold is not trivial. You either destroy your hands, or get handy at taking the manifold off.

If your DISA valve breaks you can have a metal pin travel into a cylinder and really mess things up.

I frankly would never buy an M54/S54 ever again. Everything is a "common" problem.

I don't know what else is shared with E46s, but the central locking module will go out, after which the lock cylinder, of which there is only one, will surely break (left my wife stranded in the cold this weekend).

The blower motor resistor (FSU) does not have enough heat sinks and will go. When this unit fails it may start killing your battery. If you see an old one the wing mirrors will always be rusted out behind the glass.

95EagleAWD
03-06-2014, 05:17 PM
I haven't had any issues in two years of having my car sit outside in -40... Always fired right up.

Everyone has their issues though I guess.

bspot
03-06-2014, 05:19 PM
I haven't had any issues in two years of having my car sit outside in -40... Always fired right up.

Everyone has their issues though I guess.

It may be that the S54 generates more heat, or that you never short trip your car.

The first time was because she had to pull the car ahead to make room for a furnace cleaning guy. You have moisture in everthing because it's not warm yet, it freezes, and splits.

If you have a failing T-stat it can increase the odds of this as well.

Basically never short trip them and park it in the cold, unless this is something that doesn't affect the S54.

DEATH2000
03-07-2014, 09:30 AM
Flipstah, if your really interested in an E36 M Coupe in good condition conider importing one from Japan. Last week a really nice Estoril Blue M Coupe went across the auction block.
Here is the link for it: http://jpcenter.ru/st-eMN9LsdC4VbyfmY.htm
Looks like a no sale at 510,000YEN ($5,500~ CDN)

Heres a non M Coupe: http://jpcenter.ru/st-aQf108wDTzLttG.htm

For the E30 M3 fans: http://jpcenter.ru/st-aRgaHegxGgSk64.htm This one sold for $26,000 CDN

This one http://jpcenter.ru/st-bWXae6zBuyEX4B.htm sold for $20,000 CDN

KRyn
03-07-2014, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by DEATH2000
Flipstah, if your really interested in an E36 M Coupe in good condition conider importing one from Japan. Last week a really nice Estoril Blue M Coupe went across the auction block.
Here is the link for it: http://jpcenter.ru/st-eMN9LsdC4VbyfmY.htm
Looks like a no sale at 510,000YEN ($5,500~ CDN)

Heres a non M Coupe: http://jpcenter.ru/st-aQf108wDTzLttG.htm

Well I know what is replacing my current ride shorlty! How often do well kept M Coupes come across the block?

benyl
03-07-2014, 10:20 AM
Too bad those ones are RHD. If the E30 M3 was LHD, I would be all over it like a dirty shirt.

KRyn
03-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Too bad those ones are RHD. If the E30 M3 was LHD, I would be all over it like a dirty shirt.

All the ones he posted are LHD...?

dubhead
03-08-2014, 09:55 AM

It's comfy enough for long trips. My dad and I did 7,000+ KMs in it, and we weren't sore at all. I have a longer one up north planned this summer.

AK ?? My family is from up there it's been about 10 years but I could shed some light on some spots worth checking out on the way up and sights to see up there if you want to Pm me.

95EagleAWD
03-08-2014, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by dubhead

AK ?? My family is from up there it's been about 10 years but I could shed some light on some spots worth checking out on the way up and sights to see up there if you want to Pm me.

Yukon/NWT via the Dempster.

DEATH2000
03-08-2014, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by KRyn

Well I know what is replacing my current ride shorlty! How often do well kept M Coupes come across the block?
Ill be honest I dont look for the M Coupes specifically. As you can probably tell by my Avatar I am an Alpina fanboy. However next time I see one up for sale though I will post here for you if your interested. You kinda gotta be quick to decide though as most of the time when their listed for sale its usually only a few days before the actual auction.

That blue one didnt sell so I expect to see it again in a few weeks.

Skidro
03-08-2014, 12:03 PM
i've been looking at importing a e36 m3 from japan as well, and they are fairly common there but I believe they are more used as track cars then as daily drivers. The only other difference is in some of the options, I have found a lot of japanese cars that are available here dont have leather

95EagleAWD
03-08-2014, 06:48 PM

www.mcoupebuyersguide.com will have every Coupe for sale in North America listed there.

Although, we're at a historic low of cars for sale. Less than 30 right now I think, and only 5-6 S54 models.

ekguy
03-08-2014, 07:14 PM
Damn....some pretty rough m coupes in there that would make rad project cars...jesus some of them are well under 20g's.

Would be a fun car to repaint a random color for the ones in rough shape.

Would look incredible in a really deep red or rootbeer!!!

DEATH2000
03-09-2014, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Skidro
i've been looking at importing a e36 m3 from japan as well, and they are fairly common there but I believe they are more used as track cars then as daily drivers. The only other difference is in some of the options, I have found a lot of japanese cars that are available here dont have leather
Theirs three members of Project Technik that have brought over Japanese E36 M3s. One of them was for sale a few months back.

benyl
03-09-2014, 09:07 PM

All the ones he posted are LHD...?

Oops, thought that yellow thing was a driver seat cover.

Now I am tempted to start looking.

KRyn
03-10-2014, 08:27 AM

www.mcoupebuyersguide.com will have every Coupe for sale in North America listed there.

Although, we're at a historic low of cars for sale. Less than 30 right now I think, and only 5-6 S54 models.

Hey Eagle, how do you enjoy driving your car? Do you find that the S54 provides enough power in its stock form in Alberta? Do you have any plans to add some basic bolt-ons or boost? Or will you just enjoy the car in its stock form? Having never got a ride in a M3 I have no idea what to expect. All the purists say that the S54 is miles ahead of the S52 in pure driving experience particularly when left stock (or tweaked minorly). Do you plan to be in Calgary anytime soon? :D

Ill be honest I dont look for the M Coupes specifically. As you can probably tell by my Avatar I am an Alpina fanboy. However next time I see one up for sale though I will post here for you if your interested. You kinda gotta be quick to decide though as most of the time when their listed for sale its usually only a few days before the actual auction.

Who do you use to find and import your vehicles? I am seriously considering replacing my current car with a M and a small truck if the price is right. Obviously would prefer a S54. Are you required to pay cash upfront when bidding on a car at auction. I have no idea how this process works. Any insight would be appreciated, feel free to PM me.

flipstah
03-10-2014, 08:38 AM

Thanks for the heads up :)

beyond_ban
03-10-2014, 10:49 AM
Lots of good info in this thread, keep it coming. The thought of a LHD E36 M3 with around 100k on the odo is really appealing, especially if it can be landed for around 10-12.

95EagleAWD
03-10-2014, 09:14 PM

Hey Eagle, how do you enjoy driving your car? Do you find that the S54 provides enough power in its stock form in Alberta? Do you have any plans to add some basic bolt-ons or boost? Or will you just enjoy the car in its stock form? Having never got a ride in a M3 I have no idea what to expect. All the purists say that the S54 is miles ahead of the S52 in pure driving experience particularly when left stock (or tweaked minorly). Do you plan to be in Calgary anytime soon? :D

Yeah, I find it fast enough in stock form. I think my lap times at Stratotech speak for that as well... it's a quick car. I have plans for headers/exhaust and a tune, but nothing major. It's a daily driver, and it has to remain reliable above all else. I've never driven an S52 car, but I imagine the extra 100 horsepower is a big difference.

And I'm in Calgary all the time. Was there today actually. I'll PM you next time I'm down, and you can take a look at the car if you'd like!

buh_buh
03-11-2014, 01:01 AM
S54 in stock form is not fast, especially by today's standards. Headers and chip won't do much in changing that. Reliability is good in stock form, but needs some FI to keep up with today's cars. The car has never felt fast to me, except at sea level.

DEATH2000
03-11-2014, 08:01 AM

Who do you use to find and import your vehicles? I am seriously considering replacing my current car with a M and a small truck if the price is right. Obviously would prefer a S54. Are you required to pay cash upfront when bidding on a car at auction. I have no idea how this process works. Any insight would be appreciated, feel free to PM me.
Aaron at Bulldog Brothers Trading. He sents me a weekly email of available cars coming up for auction. They require a $1,000 deposit to bid on the car for you. The rest of the money is due after you win the auction. Some fees are paid after the car is landed at the port.

Some of the older Porsche's really peak my interest. Ive actually seen 2 Land Rover Defenders's in the last few months as well.

See image:
http://s19.postimg.org/ehaat4jqb/LRDefender.jpg
AT, 4wd, PW, and less then 70,000km on the odomometer.

Originally posted by beyond_ban
Lots of good info in this thread, keep it coming. The thought of a LHD E36 M3 with around 100k on the odo is really appealing, especially if it can be landed for around 10-12.

Average cost is about $5,000 to bring one over. Purchase price of the car + GST + 6% duty + $1,200-2,000 in shipping (depending on size of car and method of shipping), and about $500 in other fees. I know one guy who paid $4,400 for the car, and including $1,000 for fixing a few things and getting DRL's he was into the car for $11k landed.

All depends on how much you want the car really. I think picking up a Lancia Delta Integrale Evolutione would be cool for a rally car.

DEATH2000
03-11-2014, 08:02 AM
Edit: Double Post by accident

95EagleAWD
03-11-2014, 08:17 AM
S54 in stock form is not fast, especially by today's standards. Headers and chip won't do much in changing that. Reliability is good in stock form, but needs some FI to keep up with today's cars. The car has never felt fast to me, except at sea level.

There is a noticeable difference between driving it in Calgary vs. Edmonton, that's for sure.

FraserB
03-11-2014, 08:29 AM
Hey Death2000,

How much are those Land Rovers usually going for? I think that's the one vehicle I'd love to pick up at some point and with 70k, you can't go wrong really.

KRyn
03-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Would a 2001 M3 Coupe even be admissable to Canada right now?

95EagleAWD
03-11-2014, 08:57 AM
Would a 2001 M3 Coupe even be admissable to Canada right now?

Yeah, they're on the RIV list. Lots of American M3s in Canada. My Coupe is American.

DEATH2000
03-11-2014, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
Hey Death2000,

How much are those Land Rovers usually going for? I think that's the one vehicle I'd love to pick up at some point and with 70k, you can't go wrong really.

This one sold for 840,000Yen ($9,048):
http://jpcenter.ru/st-aSXJsra36m2k11.htm
116,000 km

This one sold for 1,183,000Yen ($12,730):
http://jpcenter.ru/st-cLY8E0uIVTyvsXX.htm
90,000 km

This one sold for 1,756,000Yen ($18,900):
http://jpcenter.ru/st-qeaUcToTvhGphyO.htm
112,000 km

This one sold for 795,000Yen ($8,554):
http://jpcenter.ru/st-aRSJQXuRnHQDdD.htm
124,000 km

This one is a 2003 so its not legal to import yet, but it sold for 3,025,000Yen ($32,550):
http://jpcenter.ru/st-aSWzjkbthFMFPf.htm

This one, the bidding got up to 2,875,000Yen but did not sell:
http://jpcenter.ru/st-aSXJsra36m2k11.htm

The two doors are a lot cheaper for sure. The first four are all legal to import to Canada this year. The last 2 arent. Some dont sell because of reserve bids or other reasons.

This link has the history of the sold Defenders in the last several months. Copy and paste and remove the space before the D:

http://jpcenter.ru/st#28: DEFENDER

KRyn
03-11-2014, 07:15 PM

Yeah, they're on the RIV list. Lots of American M3s in Canada. My Coupe is American.

Sorry, are JDM / Euro Spec BMW M Coupes (newer than 15 years) admissible to Canada or only USDM M Coupes newer than 15 years?

DEATH2000
03-11-2014, 10:14 PM

Sorry, are JDM / Euro Spec BMW M Coupes (newer than 15 years) admissible to Canada or only USDM M Coupes newer than 15 years?
I don't believe they are allowed. Euro spec vehicles have different emissions regulations and safety standards then the NA spec ones did.

flipstah
03-12-2014, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
Hey Death2000,

Pick up a 300TDi 110 (long wheelbase). Best one IMO.

My 90 short wheelbase is fine but it's awesome when you can cram 10 people comfortably + gear. I can cram 10 people on mine but clown car. :rofl:

DEATH2000
03-20-2014, 06:52 PM
This came up for sale this week:

http://s19.postimg.org/ap1cqzxsz/image.jpg

Not sure if it sold or not, but that low milage is impressive!

These are up for sale this week as well:

http://s19.postimg.org/n52nyhgir/auc007.jpg

http://s19.postimg.org/wbkylrlr7/auc006.jpg

buh_buh
03-20-2014, 07:42 PM
That is a z3 and not a M. Big fan of that 993 though

DEATH2000
03-21-2014, 05:29 PM
That is a z3 and not a M. Big fan of that 993 though
I know, some people may still be interested in them so I figured I'd post it.

The 993 is expected to sell for ¥22,00,000. However I asked about that Diablo and it's expected to sell for around ¥8,000,000. Not sure why, but it's a grade 4 so it should be in really good shape. That's something I would bring over if it did sell for under ¥10,000,000

zerofighter
03-21-2014, 06:16 PM
I've always had a thing for shooting brakes, especially the 06 M-Coupe:

I know some of you here on Beyond owns this year or the earlier versions of it and I'm just curious as to how useful the car is as a daily driver?

- It's a BMW so it has a strong inline-6 but is maintenance expensive or typical German costs?
- How useful is that coupe shape in the back? Are the seats fold-flat?
- How much should you expect these in the used market if you can even find one?

I do not winter drive it so I can't comment on how it is in the winter. As a daily driver in spring/summer/fall, the car is pretty good. My car has H&R springs and OEM ZCPs so the ride is a little bumpy, it is little tiresome after a long trip but if you stay stock suspension and wheels (less the run flats) you should be fine on longer trips. Cabin is snug but comfortable (depending on how tall you are). The trunk is a decent size, apparently the previous owner was able to fit 2 sets of golf clubs in the trunk fine, its really a game of tetris if you have a lot of stuff (had to play that game when I was moving). As for the coupe shape, you can stack stuff up to the rear window but you won't be able to see much and the blind spots of the car I find are fairly big. Seats do not fold back and they can only recline so far.

Be ready to maintain the S54, it is like any other german car - parts aren't the cheapest. Only issues that I have so far is a leaking CPV valve (new $5 o-ring needed) and a hot start issue but these issues are S54 issues. Mind you some have zero issues, but I have had only those two. Oh yea, prepare to buy 10W60....the car needs 6L but I can only find 5L jugs of Lubro-moly around town which forces you to buy 2 5L....or pay the stealership premium per quart for the OEM stuff (minor thing but a little annoyance none the less). Expect to be at the gas station every 4 days or less, I would do about 400-450km on a 50L tank and that is driving a bit of highway (I take Stoney Trail to work) and some city driving. I'm also noticing that this thing loves eating rear tires for the amount of torque it has.

That being said, I absolutely love the car and would not sell it (I was tempted once but I came to my senses), it is quite a raw driving experience IMO. I agree with the others, it is becoming a bit hard to find one for a decent price. You'll have to wait until the spring or summer but people will jack up the prices in summer a few thousand. I would expect to pay low to mid 30s?

I'd be happy you let you sit in and check out the car sometime, just shoot me a PM. Check out zpost and you can get quite a bit more info on the Z4Ms there.

-Pearson

zerofighter
03-21-2014, 06:22 PM
Oh yea, here is a pic of a set of ramps, oil and a bunch of other things in the trunk. Above the ramps on the right you will see the battery box that someone was pointing out.

flipstah
03-24-2014, 10:41 AM
Thanks for that info! ^

jaylo
03-24-2014, 08:08 PM
Hey flipstah, I was in the same boat as you 2 years ago and ended up with an N54 335i. More roomy interior and less cost to maintain.

I did test drive an M Coupe and it is a feeling of raw driving experience and very rewarding.

M3 Coupe would be ideal but it's so hard to find a mint one these days

The M Coupe is also way overpriced when people post if for sale

95EagleAWD
03-27-2014, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by jaylo
The M Coupe is also way overpriced when people post if for sale

I would debate that. You pay for what it is. A very, very rare care.

There are 6 S54 M Coupes for sale in North America right now. They range from $29,000 to $47,000. Mileage is pretty influential on the prices, but I'm glad to see them rising again.

My car is 1 of 14 in it's colour combo. Out of a production run of 690 cars. So your choices are very, very limited. The price reflects that.

jaylo
03-27-2014, 04:19 PM

I would debate that. You pay for what it is. A very, very rare care.

There are 6 S54 M Coupes for sale in North America right now. They range from $29,000 to $47,000. Mileage is pretty influential on the prices, but I'm glad to see them rising again.

My car is 1 of 14 in it's colour combo. Out of a production run of 690 cars. So your choices are very, very limited. The price reflects that.

I assume your color is Sepang Bronze Metallic or Interlagos Blue on Black/Red interior.

Still priced up there, considering a mint E46 M3 and a really used E92 M3 Coupe is around that price

Just like this one http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/bmw-z4-m-coupe-wide-open-to-offers-no-gst/574504027?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

They are a blast to drive though.

dirtsniffer
03-27-2014, 04:49 PM
I'm going to take a wild stab and say his is titanium..

buh_buh
03-27-2014, 06:34 PM
There's no Sepang Bronze or Interlagos on Z3 M Coupes.

95EagleAWD
03-27-2014, 08:14 PM
Titanium silver over black with sunroof delete.

1/14 2001 models in that combo.

beyond_ban
03-27-2014, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
I'm going to take a wild stab and say his is titanium..

:rofl:

jaylo
03-28-2014, 08:03 AM
I thought we were talking about latest generation M Coupe's

Love the "shoe" but they are hard to find and not 100% they all come with the S54 engine

jaylo
03-28-2014, 08:05 AM
There's no Sepang Bronze or Interlagos on Z3 M Coupes.

Thought the topic was Z4 M, did not know 95's a 2001

buh_buh
03-28-2014, 09:18 AM
Only '01 and '02 Z3Ms were s54

dirtsniffer
04-02-2014, 09:43 AM
here's one for sale (http://www.dupontregistry.com/autos/Search/DRauSearchDetails.aspx?itemid=2174783)

DEATH2000
04-16-2014, 04:09 PM
M Roadster anyone?

http://s19.postimg.org/r1hf44stf/image.jpg

95EagleAWD
04-16-2014, 05:15 PM
I'll be in Calgary this weekend if anyone wanted to see one up close... Can't promise how busy I'd be, but I can try and get out to a meet if you have them on the weekends?

DEATH2000
04-22-2014, 04:41 PM
M Roadster anyone?

http://s19.postimg.org/r1hf44stf/image.jpg

SOLD for $8,500 CDN.

flipstah
04-22-2014, 05:15 PM
Who do you use to import from Japan?

DEATH2000
04-25-2014, 04:42 PM
For those interested in an E30 M3 as well, or instead of an M Coupe here is some info. I figured I would post here rather then start a new thread.

1987 E30 M3 - 86,000km's. Sold for 2,185,000YEN ($23,620CDN)
http://jpcenter.ru/st-2JdprlU2Dk3O1o.htm

http://s19.postimg.org/6hvvrd4gz/JPC_E30_M3.jpg

http://s19.postimg.org/mhejax0ir/JPC_E30_M3_2.jpg

http://s19.postimg.org/fs7zuwf6r/JPC_E30_M3_3.jpg

Here are two other E30 M3's that have sold this year:

1988 M3 - Grade 4/B with 110,000 km. Starting price was 600,000YEN. Sold at 2,520,000YEN ($27,240CDN). Auction Date 08-02-2014.

http://s19.postimg.org/lobkt5q77/E30_M3.jpg

http://s19.postimg.org/mwuv11srn/E30_M3_2.jpg

http://s19.postimg.org/yahec93ab/E30_M3_3.gif

1987 M3 - Grade 3.5/B with 17,451km. Starting price was 1,200,000YEN. Sold for 1,965,000YEN ($21,240CDN). Auction Date 01-02-2014.

http://s19.postimg.org/ufe09ok4j/E30_M3_4.jpg

http://s19.postimg.org/84q59pmub/E30_M3_5.jpg

http://s19.postimg.org/p6nkpjr37/E30_M3_6.gif

An R Grade E30 M3 was auctioned on March 26th, but the auction ended up getting cancelled. Starting bid price was 600,000YEN.

For those actually considering an E30 M3, lets do some math based on a form provided to me from a different website, using the silver E30 M3.

Purchase Price: $23,619.85
+ $1,180.99 GST
+ $1,512.85 Import Duty at 6.1%
+ $1,087 Purchase fee
+ $1,000 Shipping (average )
+ $395 Fees upon landing in port
= $28,795 Total

Total cost above purchase price: $4,575.84

So yes, you can have an E30 M3 for under $30,000 :D