PDA

View Full Version : Oops. Used RTV on Intake Boot

bspot
03-05-2014, 11:41 AM
So doing the CVV on my wife's E46 (3rd CVV for this car... horrible design, horrible job) and notice the lower intake boot has a small tear.

I patch it up with RTV and an old bike tube stretched over it. The bike tube would have been enough. I thought I was making it even more durable with the RTV.

Welllllll the RTV I have isn't sensor safe, and I didn't know it fried O2 sensors.

I drove the car a couple times to test it out, probably 30-40 minutes in total.

The amount of exposed RTV on the inside should be really small since I applied it from the outside, and there wasn't any rubber missing, just a split in the boot.

How much does it take to kill O2 sensors? Am I on borrowed time? I'm assuming I should leave the car parked until I replace the boot?

ExtraSlow
03-05-2014, 12:00 PM
If the car isn't throwing a code, you are probbaly fine.

bspot
03-05-2014, 12:14 PM
It hasn't yet. I won't touch it til I get the new boot on. Thanks!

How sensitive are O2s to this? Googling brought up lots of warnings, but very few people actually blowing sensors.

luxor
03-05-2014, 09:47 PM
You're worried about the RTV fumes killing the O2? LOL do you even know where the O2 is and how they work?

I'd be more concerned about the other sensors on the intake manifold before your O2, which happens to be much further down the chain from the intake boot.

bspot
03-07-2014, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by luxor
You're worried about the RTV fumes killing the O2? LOL do you even know where the O2 is and how they work?

I'd be more concerned about the other sensors on the intake manifold before your O2, which happens to be much further down the chain from the intake boot.

Yup. When Silcone is burned it makes SiO2 and glazes your O2 sensors.

Want to see a couple TSBs from manufacturers on this?

VW:

Subject:
Oxygen Sensor Contamination Due to Silicone

Model(s):
All Models, All Model Years

(Supercedes Technical Bulletin 92-01, Repair Group 26, November 30, 1992)

CAUTION

Do NOT use any sprays or compounds containing silicone on engines equipped with Oxygen Sensors. Do NOT use these compounds on or near the intake air system or near the Oxygen sensor. Silicone drawn into the intake air system is not burned during combustion and will lead to contamination and malfunctioning of the Oxygen Sensor.

Subject:
Silica Contamination of Oxygen Sensors and Gelation of Oil.

Models Affected:
All

Oxygen sensor performance can deteriorate if certain RTV silicone gasket materials are used. Other RTV's when used with certain oils, may cause gelation of the oil. The degree of performance severity depends on the type of RTV and application of the engine involved.

Therefore, when repairing engines where this item is involved, it is important to use either cork composition gaskets or RTV silicone gasket material approved for such use. GMS (General Motors Sealant) or equivalent material can be used. GMS is available through GMPD with the following part numbers:

1052366 3 oz.

1052434 10.14 oz.

There is some official Bosch documentation kicking around on it too.