PDA

View Full Version : Cut & Polish

maximus
02-29-2004, 01:32 AM
Just wondering if anyone here has had a cut and polish done. Any reccomendations? How much should a good job cost on a 2dr hatchback?

SwitchBlade
02-29-2004, 01:37 AM
it's called a cut polish. what they do is remove a thin layer of your existing paint. it is quite pricey as there is a lot of labor involved. you can probably bet on around 250 dollars. but it is well worth it as it will dramatically improve the look of your paint, especially if it is oxidized!!

SwitchBlade
02-29-2004, 01:37 AM
it's called a cut polish. what they do is remove a thin layer of your existing paint. it is quite pricey as there is a lot of labor involved. you can probably bet on around 250 dollars. but it is well worth it as it will dramatically improve the look of your paint, especially if it is oxidized!!

cp1
02-29-2004, 07:26 AM
You can do this yourself... i works wonders on faded paint... go to canadian tire and buy a 1500 grit cut polish then just rub it on (vigorously) with a cloth... Lots of sore forearms! I think it cost like 6 bucks or so.

Phuqu
02-29-2004, 01:45 PM
Do not try it if you have to ask how to do it.

Just get a professional to do it.

Wetsanding and polishing properly is not a job for beginners.

maximus
02-29-2004, 03:43 PM
Thanks guys. I know how its done but don't think I want to try it and ruin anything. I would gladly part with $250 for a professional job. Its not for oxidized paint, I want to get the clearcoat done. Its got like 10 years of scratches and stuff. The paint is still pretty good underneath.

maximus
02-29-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by cp1
You can do this yourself... i works wonders on faded paint... go to canadian tire and buy a 1500 grit cut polish then just rub it on (vigorously) with a cloth... Lots of sore forearms! I think it cost like 6 bucks or so.

???????????
I think you've got some sort of wax process confused. I don't think you wet sand vigoursly with a cloth! ;)

So has anybody had it done here in cowtown?? Any recommendations??

alpha
02-29-2004, 04:05 PM
does a cut polish get rid or sun swirls?

sxtasy
02-29-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by alpha
does a cut polish get rid or sun swirls? Yes it can

Maximus
I can do a good job for you if you want. I have some good 3m products. Pm me if your interested

civic_ek4
02-29-2004, 04:52 PM
well, i used to work at a detailing shop. We used a lot of that stuff. I would say its not a beginers job. The rpm of the buffer and shit like that could really ruin your paint.

They used something call the diamond cut polish, which is really rough and thick. Use a little bit of it on small area at a time, buff out the scratches. then switch the pad, apply a thick coat of polish on it. after polishing apply the sealent to take away the swirl marks and so the polish doesn't oxydize as quickly.

i've heard of the wet sandpaper trick too but never tried it.

sxtasy
02-29-2004, 04:59 PM
Wetsanding can be a little tricky on some colours. 3m has a great heavy cutting compound, similiar to wetsanding, but doesn't scratch as much as wetsanding. I can get great results from using 3M heavy cut, then 3M Paint Sealant.

method
02-29-2004, 06:31 PM
get it done proper if you're not sure... it can make your paint look freakin sweet, especially if you've had a repaint. :drool:

BBMac
03-02-2004, 12:49 AM
a cut polish on a repaint is only needed if you want show quality. the 3m product line is great I used to use it at hallmark autobody. Great stuff!!!!! Hallamrk has a package for a cut polish go to hallmarkautobody.com or just go down and talk to the guys and see what they charge. it might be less that 250 like I said. just throwing rough numbers

ninspeed
03-03-2004, 06:18 PM
for a a quck polish job you are looking around 250-300$ for a decent job. For a full wet sand and polish... i would say 500 or more. Give you an idea... i just spent 7 1/2 hours today wetsanding and polshing a black hood on a truck, and the last two days wetsanding and polshing a hard tonneau cover (black also).. so its not to cheep