PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Golf Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

colinxx235
03-06-2014, 04:03 PM
I know it is a bit early to start golfing, but only reason that got me thinking about it was I just purchased a Garmin gps watch for the old mans birthday.

While I was at Gtown they had some clearance on shoes but I didn't spend too much time looking.

Ponied up for a golf membership this year, so my goal is to get 50 rounds in (hopefully more) and I would rather walk the better share of them for some good exercise.

That being said, my current Adidas shoes aren't the most comfortable for walking a full 18. They are about 4-5 years old.
I'm flatfooted and have a bit of a wider foot as it is. Wondering if anyone knows of a decent site that has ratings/dimensions laid out. That or just any members on here who walk the courses often and have some positive reviews of a certain brand/model.

Appreciated!

Can't wait for spring to come...

FullFledgedYYC
03-06-2014, 04:05 PM
I always walk, I enjoy my Nike TW shoes... Try em at sportchek

ExtraSlow
03-06-2014, 04:40 PM
I have the Garmin G2 watch, won it at a tourney at the end of last season, I'm pretty happy with it.

Thinking of some new golf shoes this year too. I have a great pair of foot-joys which are good for cooler/wet weather, but want something wth some more mesh for the hot days. The Selection at sport check was terrible last time I was in there.
I have some of those golf sandals, but they aren't that classy, and something enclosed probably looks better if I'm ever trying to look professional.

npham
03-06-2014, 04:48 PM
Everything I've read/watched says the new FootJoy DNA's are most comfortable golf shoes ever. Plus the looks great. At $220, and $240 for the version that can tighten your heel gap, they aren't cheap. But I'll definitely be buying a pair as long as they fit(I have wide feet). But I currently game 2013 Nike Lunar in wide width. Super comfy as well, and lots of room for my EEE width feet. I'm also flatfooted if that helps you. Lunars would definitely be on sale at Golf Town if you find 2013 stock.

I can't wait for spring either. I dropped about 15 or 16 points off my index last year, and now I want to get close to single digit this year. Unlikely, but if I get to a 10 from a 17, I'll consider it a success.

Where did you get a membership?

colinxx235
03-06-2014, 05:33 PM
@Extra that is the exact watch I bought him, being in his mid 50's he doesn't need to worry about the touch screen and all that s3/s4 stuff. he was pretty excited about the watch, and hope it improves his game

@pham I'll check out those Lunar, a few nikes caught my attention caught of the wider stance, I don't think I'm an EEE but definitely wider and being flat footed never helps that. I might just have to drop the 200+ for those Footjoys, having sore/blistered/sweaty feet from walking isn't fun at all
and my membership is for elbow springs, I enjoy the 27 holes so I can rotate and its close to the house so its a short drive, looking forward to hitting as many rounds as I possibly can

s dime
03-06-2014, 06:35 PM
FJ Superlite have always been comfy for me. I grab a new pair every second season. I walk about 20 rounds per season. I also have wide feet, but not flat.

I usually pick up the previous years model for 80 bucks or so.

roopi
03-06-2014, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235

Ponied up for a golf membership this year, so my goal is to get 50 rounds in (hopefully more) and I would rather walk the better share of them for some good exercise.

Where did you get a membership at?

colinxx235
03-06-2014, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by roopi

Where did you get a membership at?

Elbow Springs, always enjoyed golfing there

chathamf
03-06-2014, 10:03 PM
Ecco golf shoes are supposed to be good and really nice looking IMO.

Heartbroken I won't be able to play Kananaskis this year. :cry:

roopi
03-06-2014, 10:43 PM

Elbow Springs, always enjoyed golfing there

Nice course. They require an equity membership then yearly fees?

roopi
03-06-2014, 10:46 PM
I love in the SE and have been looking online for equity memberships. Cottonwood seems to be down quite a bit and I'm wondering if something is up. Was there damage to the course? Alot available in the. $5k range.

flipstah
03-06-2014, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by chathamf
Ecco golf shoes are supposed to be good and really nice looking IMO.

Heartbroken I won't be able to play Kananaskis this year. :cry:

Ecco makes a great pair and I'm planning to snipe a pair once the sales roll in. My Nikes and Footjoy are too stiff for walking 18.

chathamf
03-07-2014, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by flipstah

Ecco makes a great pair and I'm planning to snipe a pair once the sales roll in. My Nikes and Footjoy are too stiff for walking 18.

Drop a post if you find a sale!

DENZILDON
03-07-2014, 09:07 AM
Golf trade show on March 22 boys...

http://www.albertagolfshows.com/site/calgary_show

There were some killer deals last year, I wish I just waited before I bought my stuff

If you are looking for good deals on clubs, drivers, etc. Be the first person when it opens and snag the best deals.

kertejud2
03-07-2014, 09:42 AM
I love in the SE and have been looking online for equity memberships. Cottonwood seems to be down quite a bit and I'm wondering if something is up. Was there damage to the course? Alot available in the. $5k range.

Cottonwood had a lot of flood damage last year and were only able to open a partial course (IIRC). Is probably cheap because they won't be at a full 18 for opening (or potentially a while).

colinxx235
03-07-2014, 10:57 AM

Yah equity + fees type thing

You should look at Carmoney, good family friend has had a membership there for ~10 years or so. One of my favorites to golf

slick2404
03-07-2014, 11:31 AM
Can anyone recommend a good place for inexpensive lessons? Would love to try breaking 100 this year.

npham
03-07-2014, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by slick2404
Can anyone recommend a good place for inexpensive lessons? Would love to try breaking 100 this year.

What do you consider inexpensive? Typically you will only get breaks if you sign up for lesson packages, ie 5 or 10. Otherwise you will be paying $80-150 per hour. I highly recommend getting a few lessons, the more the better, because you won't be able to fix your swing in one lesson.

I'm working with my pro/coach every 2 weeks right now, which gives me enough time to practice on my own between them. I will taper off once the season starts, and do playing lessons later this year.

But you need to be realistic with yourself, and see how much time you are willing to work on getting better. We all have time commitments and busy schedules, so if you can only play once a month, and hit the range once a week, it will be really hard. Working on your swing now is going to give the best chance at breaking 100 this season.

If you don't want to pay for an instructor, go film your swing and post it GolfWRX forums and you'll get some feedback on what you need to work on. Then you can go check out some online videos from Andrew Rice or Mark Crossfield and work on some of their suggestions for issues you might have.

SOAB
03-07-2014, 01:39 PM
last year was my first year of playing golf and I was able to break 100. all it takes is practice as well as an understanding of what you are doing wrong and why.

I played about 2 rounds a month but hit the range almost 3 times a week.

asp integra
03-08-2014, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by slick2404

Try Terry Carter at National Golf Academy. He owns and runs the golf dome on 50th ave, just off Macleod so you could get a nice head start in the dome before the season begins. http://www.nationalgolfacademy.ca/newsite/

Im quite excited to get golfing this year, I head down to Scottsdale in 2 weeks so I will get a few rounds in down then, then over to San Fran for a few days where I will play a round with some family friends.

I just moved into a new house with an unfinished basement so it has been my golf range for the last few weeks. I love the 9 foot ceilings and wiffle balls, fells good to swing the clubs again!
https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1904009_10100115239003117_1500754707_n.jpg

asp integra
03-08-2014, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by SOAB
last year was my first year of playing golf and I was able to break 100. all it takes is practice as well as an understanding of what you are doing wrong and why.

Another good tip to break 100, work on your putting!!!!!

You can go to a lot of courses or ranges and putt around on the practice greens for free. If you go from averaging 3 puts per hole to averaging 2 puts per hole, you can look at dropping 18 strokes off your game!

SOAB
03-08-2014, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by asp integra

Another good tip to break 100, work on your putting!!!!!

You can go to a lot of courses or ranges and putt around on the practice greens for free. If you go from averaging 3 puts per hole to averaging 2 puts per hole, you can look at dropping 18 strokes off your game!

THIS!!

I 3-putt so many times during a round that if I dropped that by half, I would break 90...

DEATH2000
03-09-2014, 02:35 PM

I just moved into a new house with an unfinished basement so it has been my golf range for the last few weeks. I love the 9 foot ceilings and wiffle balls, fells good to swing the clubs again!

Is that just foam against the wall? Pretty awesome, and cheaper then those nets they have for that.

I will be going to the golf show but I dunno how much I will be able to spend. More just going to look at all the new stuff coming out.

asp integra
03-11-2014, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by DEATH2000

Is that just foam against the wall? Pretty awesome, and cheaper then those nets they have for that.

I will be going to the golf show but I dunno how much I will be able to spend. More just going to look at all the new stuff coming out.

Its actually just the insulation. I hit wiffle balls so next to no impact on the plastic covering the insulation. I also have some cardboard I put up to protect a little but also for aim.

lasimmon
03-11-2014, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by SOAB

Breaking 100 is not easy. The percentage is like 70% of golfers who play legitimately by the rules can't break 100.

colinxx235
03-11-2014, 01:50 PM
Yah I'm usually skeptic when people tell me how quickly they broke the 100s or even 90s...

Then it often is followed with a round at a course in which I see them breaking tons of rules, shaving strokes etc etc. Bite my tongue.

I think it took me my 3rd summer of playing 30+ rounds and going to driving range to shoot a legit sub 90. Last season I maybeeeee got to 15-20 rounds, I managed to never shoot a 100+ (first season) but I couldn't get below an 87 from lack of play time.

Maybe others are just much more talented :dunno:

lasimmon
03-11-2014, 02:02 PM
Yah I'm usually skeptic when people tell me how quickly they broke the 100s or even 90s...

Then it often is followed with a round at a course in which I see them breaking tons of rules, shaving strokes etc etc. Bite my tongue.

I think it took me my 3rd summer of playing 30+ rounds and going to driving range to shoot a legit sub 90. Last season I maybeeeee got to 15-20 rounds, I managed to never shoot a 100+ (first season) but I couldn't get below an 87 from lack of play time.

Maybe others are just much more talented :dunno:

Usually those who break 100 so quickly use a lot of "mulligans" and "foot wedges"

kertejud2
03-11-2014, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon

Usually those who break 100 so quickly use a lot of "mulligans" and "foot wedges"

The old "a gimmie counts as a stroke?!" realization is another popular one.

SOAB
03-11-2014, 03:43 PM
LOL. fuckers.

it was a legit 96 with 3 other witnesses!! :D

petoria
03-11-2014, 04:02 PM
Just purchased my VIP Golf card. Not sure if anyone has bought one of these in the past. vipgolf.ca it's a discount golf card with plenty of courses in the Calgary area. Only takes about 12 rounds to break even. Should be fun playing courses that I'd consider "too expensive" before!

lasimmon
03-11-2014, 04:51 PM
Yah I got one this year too. Hopefully I can make it worth it. I've heard rumblings some times it takes calling multiple courses before there is a VIP spot available.

npham
03-11-2014, 05:09 PM
Yah I got one this year too. Hopefully I can make it worth it. I've heard rumblings some times it takes calling multiple courses before there is a VIP spot available.

I don't know where you heard that, but that's not the case. I was a member last year and definitely got my money's worth. The issue is that there are only so many available spots for each course, and depending on the booking rules at that course, you might be only able to book your tee time a couple days out. While you might have a VIP slot, you won't have a tee time. The most popular courses, or ones with the best deals, tend to fill up fast.

It's really easy to see if there are any spots free or not on the site. However, there wasn't a weekend all year where I couldn't find somewhere to play. It might not be your first choice, but that's what you get for this program.

lasimmon
03-11-2014, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by npham

I don't know where you heard that, but that's not the case. I was a member last year and definitely got my money's worth. The issue is that there are only so many available spots for each course, and depending on the booking rules at that course, you might be only able to book your tee time a couple days out. While you might have a VIP slot, you won't have a tee time. The most popular courses, or ones with the best deals, tend to fill up fast.

It's really easy to see if there are any spots free or not on the site. However, there wasn't a weekend all year where I couldn't find somewhere to play. It might not be your first choice, but that's what you get for this program.

That sounds like what I heard but in more positive terms. Makes me a little lore confidant in my purchase!

Thanks!

kertejud2
03-12-2014, 12:04 PM
By all accounts if you're proactive you will always find times at good courses and it's terrific value. In fact I've heard members at some of the courses are very annoyed by the blocks of tee times they can't get because of VIP and other services.

If you're the kind of person who starts looking for a weekend tee time on Friday afternoon, you're going to think you've wasted your money, but that can be said of a person with an expensive membership to even a more exclusive club.

GDCivicSi
03-26-2014, 12:21 PM
VIP Golf's early bird pricing ends March 31st. It's worth getting if you play a lot golf. Members typically save 40-60% off green fees.

I'm a member and I'm always looking for more golfing buddies. Shoot me a PM if you're a member too and would like to head out some time.

I just published a blog post about VIP Golf: http://www.calgarygolfblog.com/2014/03/vip-golf-members-save-40-60-green-fees.html

GDCivicSi
03-31-2014, 01:53 PM
The Links of GlenEagles popular ‘FREE Round of Golf when you bring a Friend‘ promotion is back.

This is a limited time offer and will end as soon as all 4,000 certificates have been claimed. GlenEagles gave away all 4,000 certificates in only 7 days last year so don’t miss out!

Visit my blog for more details: http://www.calgarydealsblog.com/2014/03/links-gleneagles-free-golf-friend.html

Today (March 31) is also the last day to take advantage of VIP Golf's early bird pricing (extra $70 off).

npham
04-01-2014, 03:35 PM
Signed myself up for a certificate for that BOGO. Thanks for the heads up.

npham
04-02-2014, 02:29 PM
Any VIP members going to play Copper Point this weekend?

petoria
04-04-2014, 07:43 AM
do you guys have any recommendations on a good place for golf lessons or an instructor you recommend?

asp integra
04-05-2014, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by petoria
do you guys have any recommendations on a good place for golf lessons or an instructor you recommend?

National Golf dome (just off Macleod at 50th ave), Terry Carter is the head pro there and runs it, but all the instructors there are very good

colinxx235
04-05-2014, 11:44 AM
thought I would make a quick post in reference to the FJ DNA shoes, I went to golf town recently and tried on shoes for quite a long time (FJ fit damn large so it took a while to zone in on the size). Isolated it down to a 8.5 wide. but the only shoe in calgary at golftown was black, and I wasn't interested in that at all.

Gf is in phoenix for a week and going to see if she can pick me up a pair of the 8.5wide BOA while down there, maybe even cheaper. That boa system is damn sweet, I had never tested it out before, but it is convenient. Once I found the right size, they were very comfortable shoes, although I can't say if that translates to walking a course yet

JaffX
04-05-2014, 10:37 PM

National Golf dome (just off Macleod at 50th ave), Terry Carter is the head pro there and runs it, but all the instructors there are very good

+1 for NGA Golf dome. I recently finished the 10 days x 1 hour lesson program. I had Grant Cook as my instructor and I thought he was very good. Every lesson he would instruct us on what to do for 5 mins and then the rest of the time he would let you hit balls, he would also record you on camera, look at your form and identify what needs work. Half way through the program Grant had to take leave for personal reasons, so a guy named Dan Cameron took over. The teaching style of Dan was very different compared to Grant. With Dan, he did a lot more instructing which probably took 30-45 mins, and then he let us hit balls with the rest of the time we had left. Dan is more of a textbook kind of guy while Grant gives you much more freedom in developing your own form.

GDCivicSi
04-07-2014, 12:45 PM
A lot of Calgary courses will be opening this week!

Here’s The City of Calgary’s 2014 Golf Course and Driving Range Opening Dates chart: http://www.calgarygolfblog.com/2014/04/city-calgary-public-golf-courses-2014-course-range-opening-dates.html

GlenEagles will be opening on Thursday, April 10th on all 18 regular greens. They are booking tee times now: http://www.calgarygolfblog.com/2014/04/links-gleneagles-golf-course-opening-thursday-april-10-2014.html

Blue Devil is looking at possible opening on Friday, April 11th and HeatherGlen on Saturday, April 12th.

~Leah~
04-07-2014, 11:14 PM
oh the PGC group is at it again. shady organization :)

~Leah~
04-07-2014, 11:16 PM

We are opening a brand new academy at Inglewood this summer with a full time teaching pro. You should come check it out - centrally located and great prices. Garret Jenkinson is your guy. Or Alex Steffens is your girl - 24 year old Class A Professional, knows her shit!

~Leah~
04-08-2014, 10:38 AM
Oh, and for any of you that are looking for some competition, my tour expanded this year and we have a bunch of options and different flights for every skill level. A couple of you guys played an event or 2 last year which was awesome! Alberta Golf Tour - you can find it on Facebook, Twitter, or www.albertagolftour.com

asp integra
04-08-2014, 05:50 PM
Masters weekend! Stoked!

Also, how do you all hold your clubs? I had always done baseball grip and I read up on the over lap (not the criss cross between pointer finger and pinky) and found it to be the most common. I tried it when I saw down in Scottsdale a few weeks ago and I found it helped. I didn't have as much power with my irons but the ball would go where I wanted it to.

flipstah
04-08-2014, 06:21 PM
I do linked pinky/index. Helps stabilize my downswing. Pitching is overlap though.

~Leah~
04-09-2014, 09:32 AM
I switched from baseball to overlap last year. My swing was just way off and my grip felt off too. More consistent with my short irons but couldn't swing my longer clubs for some reason. Jury is still out for me.

ExtraSlow
04-09-2014, 09:47 AM
Was out at XFactor last night. Aside from a few horrendous shanks, I am playing better than I expected for this early in the season. Always have a slow swing speed, but as long as I club-up my irons, it's not that much of a handicap.

schocker
04-09-2014, 10:00 AM
I have a stupid question, I was going to get the golf net they have at costco so I can practice in my backyard along with the range. I am guessing I shouldn't be using real golf balls, just practices ones? :)

petoria
04-09-2014, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by schocker
I have a stupid question, I was going to get the golf net they have at costco so I can practice in my backyard along with the range. I am guessing I shouldn't be using real golf balls, just practices ones? :)

as long as the net can sustain the impact from a real golf ball, i would recommend using a real ball. you would get a better feel from using a real golf ball

colinxx235
04-09-2014, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by schocker

maybe you should buy three nets Matt, one in front and behind you incase those real golf balls shoot out 90 degrees from the direction they should be going :rofl: :rofl:

schocker
04-09-2014, 12:52 PM
maybe you should buy three nets Matt, one in front and behind you incase those real golf balls shoot out 90 degrees from the direction they should be going :rofl: :rofl:
Ya probably. Last time I went golfing I lost ~13 golf balls and the vendor just giving me more sleeves :rofl:

I will start with foam balls then and switch to normal balls once I stop screwing up my swing.:D

ExtraSlow
04-09-2014, 01:10 PM
I used to lose a couple sleeves a round. Found that playing a more defensive, course managemnt style helped, and I'm down to one or two lost per fround usually.
Unless it's one of those "industry" tournaments, then I generally get hammered and lose a dozen balls. It's times like that when playing cheaper balls really pays off. Losing 12 proV1's would hurt, a dozen noodles is much easier to take.

schocker
04-09-2014, 01:29 PM
I have had a problem recently with aiming as in nice straight shot with all the distance I need, but somehow I was aiming 50ft to the left of the green so it ends up on the wrong hole. I have just been using those cheap nike balls though which is nice.

colinxx235
04-09-2014, 02:20 PM
^

which nike ones were you using?

I can't hit those SFT, swing speed to high.

Black vapors my favorite for soso price

My bad day/cheap balls last year were Callaway HX hots, like $30 for a double dozen. Worked pretty good for price.

Callaway hex chrome blacks were nice for the good days or the Penta TP5s

schocker
04-09-2014, 02:31 PM
Yeah, i use the sfts as they were cheap the last time I bought balls. I will probably use them until I get better :D

lasimmon
04-09-2014, 02:36 PM
Do balls really make that much of a difference? I usually use whatever freebies I can snag from the salesman..

colinxx235
04-09-2014, 03:01 PM
Do balls really make that much of a difference? I usually use whatever freebies I can snag from the salesman..

Yupppp, once you get consistent you will notice certain balls do different things. Depends on your swing/power.

All the soft balls I find spin too much with the woods, and with wedges they get beat up super fast and skin peels easily.

I try to find a middle priced ball I like and stick with it until it is discontinued. Then I get the odd dozen thrown in from vendors or what not.
The V1s are a great ball to hit, I just don't want to spend 55 for a dozen. Ive been hitting nike black vapors for 3 (I think) seasons now. But those balls are discontinued now, so eventually i'll be looking for something else. I have about 3 dozen left.

I hit the taylor made rocketballz rbz or whatever last year (green right on ball) those impressed me a lot, might be the next ones I switch to. Got some extra yardage on the drives and was impressed with the wedge control into the green

ExtraSlow
04-09-2014, 03:34 PM
My whole game is built around reducing spin, so I'm good with whatever distance ball with a hard cover.
My slice is very nearly under control though, so maybe I could deal with something with a bit more control around the green.

DEATH2000
04-10-2014, 07:46 PM
Salesmen? I play what ever I find in the rough/water hazards :rofl:

You don't stay baller by paying for balls! :rofl:

Originally posted by ~Leah~
Oh, and for any of you that are looking for some competition, my tour expanded this year and we have a bunch of options and different flights for every skill level. A couple of you guys played an event or 2 last year which was awesome! Alberta Golf Tour - you can find it on Facebook, Twitter, or www.albertagolftour.com

Been interested in this since last year. My wife wants me to try it out. Leah, I would be interested in your new place in Inglewood. Would you offer Beyond discounts for lessons? :D

JC522
04-10-2014, 09:04 PM
lol couple years ago when I first started back up I swear I was averaging 1 ball lost per hole. To help make up for it when we had a slow player I'd dig around the ponds for balls, can usually find a few pro v1s in the water

~Leah~
04-13-2014, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by DEATH2000

Been interested in this since last year. My wife wants me to try it out. Leah, I would be interested in your new place in Inglewood. Would you offer Beyond discounts for lessons? :D

Haha, I'm not the one giving lessons so probably not! You could always ask the guys lol.

As for balls.... if anyone is interested.... let me know. Buy 3 personalized ProV1 (dozen) and get 1 free. Message me if you'd like to take advantage - offer ends April 27.

http://www.titleist.com/teamtitleist/resized-image.ashx/__size/550x0/__key/communityserver-blogs-components-weblogfiles/00-00-00-00-19/2783.2014_5F00_LoyaltyRewarded.jpg

flipstah
04-13-2014, 08:21 PM
Anyone looking for new shoes: ECCO is having a sale for their nice golf shoes in CrossIron. :thumbsup:

lasimmon
04-13-2014, 08:48 PM
Tee time tomorrow at 5:08 at blue devil. Supposed to be 10 out so shouldn't be too bad!

npham
04-15-2014, 11:14 AM
Tee time tomorrow at 5:08 at blue devil. Supposed to be 10 out so shouldn't be too bad!

What were conditions like? Soft and soupy?

lasimmon
04-16-2014, 10:32 AM

What were conditions like? Soft and soupy?

Conditions were actually fantastic! The only real wet spots were the bunkers which are to be expected. Played quite well, shot 48 on the front and was on pace for 42 on the back (only got 17 in before dark). I am more than happy with a 90 to start the year, as I only broke it once all of last year.

I was really surprised the greens were in good condition. I imagine today and yesterday has set them back 5 - 7 days though.

SkiBum5.0
04-16-2014, 11:33 AM
I played Glen Eagles on Monday. Pretty brown in most places, knarly rough since its still dead grass but the greens were decent. Amazingly dry in most bunkers and not many places where you had to lift and replace. Still some snow on some of the holes (probably more now).

GDCivicSi
04-22-2014, 11:43 AM
Groupon is offering an extra 10% off all golf deals today. It's a 1-day only sale.

This is a good deal considering the 5 golf deals in or near Calgary already range from 50-57% off.

I just purchased the Lakeside Greens deal.

http://www.calgarygolfblog.com/2014/04/groupon-com-extra-10-golf-deals-promo-code-apr-22.html

ExtraSlow
04-22-2014, 02:33 PM
Lakeside is one of my favourite local courses. Usually in great shape, not crazy crowded, easy to get to, and a good patio. Just bought that deal too.

GDCivicSi
04-25-2014, 02:09 PM
Groupon just released a promo code that'll save an extra 15% off Events & Activities deal. This includes all golf deals!

Groupon is currently offering at least 50% off deals to Lakeside Greens, Crowsness Pass, nonSTOP Golf, Carstairs and Muirfield Lakes.

http://www.calgarygolfblog.com/2014/04/groupon-com-extra-15-events-activities-golf-deals-promo-code-apr-25-27.html

lasimmon
05-15-2014, 03:41 PM
Played a round in Vegas on the weekend. Shot decently on the front 9 (birdied the first hole!) but the wheels came off on the back when I really started getting into the booze.

Hoping to play this weekend if its not raining.

ExtraSlow
05-15-2014, 04:10 PM
Playing two rounds this weekend in Golden.

colinxx235
05-15-2014, 04:14 PM
So far I have hit Four x 9 @ Elbow and One full 18. All over the map.

50, 45, 44, 48 on the first for 9s. Then a 100 yesterday, I chunked so many shots and just untypical mistakes... frustrating

On the plus side those FJ DNA shoes are comfy as fuck haha. Made walking the course much more enjoyable

bjstare
05-15-2014, 04:20 PM
Got out to Pinebrook on Sunday, shot a 98 for the first round of the year. First round with my new driver, and I only got out 3 times total last year :/ I'm not overly impressed with this round, but not that disappointed either. Going again this Saturday as long as the weather isn't too bad.

GF's parents are members there, and they love to golf with us. Probably going to be getting nearly a round per week there this year :)

~Leah~
05-20-2014, 04:44 PM
I still haven't had a chance to golf yet, and that is SO NOT ME. And it's not looking promising into June..... yikes. Whhaaaaaahhhh :(

PS - My first Alberta Golf Tour events are coming up soon - May 31 at Desert Blume and June 5 at Speargrass. Hopefully you guys can play in one sometime!!

Dave P
05-22-2014, 12:10 PM
Look Out, Golftown has really gone crazy on there sales haha.

Anyone have any reccomendations for some easier courses outside the city. Ones I could take the wife to learn, and not have people up our asses all day?

DENZILDON
05-22-2014, 12:35 PM
Went to play some golf last week in Florida. My cousin lives in a nice community and his house is in the 13th hole area. Soooo cheap, $42 bucks for 18 holes with cart for both of us.

And he bought the house 5 years ago for $180k and he said its about $250k. 3 bedroom bungalow. This is the time when I wish I could just move there.

bjstare
05-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Well, second round at pinebrook I shot a 106. No lost balls or anything, just really not playing that well. Lots of 3 putts. Going again this saturday. Hopefully things work out better this time... :rolleyes:

PS - My first Alberta Golf Tour events are coming up soon - May 31 at Desert Blume and June 5 at Speargrass. Hopefully you guys can play in one sometime!!

I hear the guy that runs Desert Blume is a real dickbag. Any truth to this?

theken
05-22-2014, 12:42 PM
Shot a 98 at applecreek I think it is called. Near Airdrie. Not my best round there not my worst. First time out with new titleist irons and they were amazing. My tee box is where I failed miserably

ExtraSlow
05-22-2014, 12:57 PM
Played two rounds this weekend at Golden. Won the most skins, and shot the highest score of my foursome. I think that's referred to as "clutch".

Also drank a lot while doing it, much to the disgust of my buddies wives.

Beautiful course. I think I'll go back some time and treat it properly.

lasimmon
05-22-2014, 01:06 PM
Hope to play River Spirit on Saturday if the weather holds up. Goal is to break 90.. Have had back to back 91's last 2 times out...

npham
05-22-2014, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by theken
Shot a 98 at applecreek I think it is called. Near Airdrie. Not my best round there not my worst. First time out with new titleist irons and they were amazing. My tee box is where I failed miserably

Super small greens there. It's a fun course, but needs to mature a bunch. I've never hit so many greens and bounced off until I played there. Do they have their clubhouse built yet?

GDCivicSi
05-22-2014, 02:16 PM
HeatherGlen is the 1st golf course in Alberta to offer Foot Golf: http://www.calgarygolfblog.com/2014/05/heatherglen-1st-golf-course-alberta-offer-foot-golf.html

What do you guys think about this?

bjstare
05-22-2014, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by GDCivicSi
HeatherGlen is the 1st golf course in Alberta to offer Foot Golf: http://www.calgarygolfblog.com/2014/05/heatherglen-1st-golf-course-alberta-offer-foot-golf.html

What do you guys think about this?

JVR1
05-22-2014, 03:15 PM
^^^ THIS!!!

:rofl:

i was actually out there last week and kinda had a WTF moment when i saw the pins.

kinda lowers my perception of the place (which wasn't high to begin with)

colinxx235
05-22-2014, 03:38 PM
Heatherglen is and always was a shithole and last resort weekend course for me... bad condition, shitty layout, poor staff, poorly run etc.

Throw that along with blue devil now, how they try to justify those fees I have no clue. Although blue devil isn't as bad as HG

Nufy
05-22-2014, 04:54 PM
First round of the year at Maple Ridge yesterday evening.
43 and 53...
That damned hotdog at the turn did me in...lol.
Not bad for pulling the clubs out of storage and walking to the first tee box.

~Leah~
05-23-2014, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

I hear the guy that runs Desert Blume is a real dickbag. Any truth to this?

I have only dealt with the Head Pro and he has been accommodating to me... that's the extent of my opinion on that at this time!

~Leah~
05-23-2014, 01:50 PM
Finally got out to play on Wednesday at my new track of Inglewood and was actually happy with my ball striking for the most part!! I changed my grip back from changing it last year (which was the worst year I've had in a LONG time, went from a 8 to 12 index) and shot an 88 with 2 doubles... so I am quite pleased with that. The course is in tremendous shape considering what it went through last year.

colinxx235
05-23-2014, 02:44 PM
I hope the weather holds up tomorrow, another Elbow round (love memberships haha)

On the shitty side my FT-5 shit the bed Wednesday night. Had three drives in a row on the last tee where I hit it clean and it made a badddd noise and punched straight into the ground basically.

Naturally I had to hit up golf town today for lunch nearby on 32nd and to my surprise of the 4 drivers I tested out, I loved the I20 with the X 6.0 shaft. Hopefully the simulator wasn't fucking with me :rofl: , shall find out tomorrow afternoon assuming no lightning...

~Leah~
05-28-2014, 09:55 AM
I need a new driver. I've decided. I don't know what I want to get but ... it's time. I drive it long for a girl but I think I could be hitting it even further with a driver that isn't from 2007.... mind you, my irons are also that old.... maybe it's just time for a whole new set all together!!!

I played at Delacour on the weekend and couldn't hit it straight. Ended up taking SIX!!!!!! penalty strokes. But I still ended up saving a 92 somehow with that. Take out the crap shots and it coulda been an 86! Not terribly disappointed with that. Never happy when I can't break 90 but trying to find the positive in my game lol.

USED1
05-28-2014, 10:36 AM
I need a new driver. I've decided. I don't know what I want to get but ... it's time. I drive it long for a girl but I think I could be hitting it even further with a driver that isn't from 2007.... mind you, my irons are also that old.... maybe it's just time for a whole new set all together!!!

I played at Delacour on the weekend and couldn't hit it straight. Ended up taking SIX!!!!!! penalty strokes. But I still ended up saving a 92 somehow with that. Take out the crap shots and it coulda been an 86! Not terribly disappointed with that. Never happy when I can't break 90 but trying to find the positive in my game lol.

Not to sound like a dick but it's not the equipment that is preventing you from hitting it straight, trust me I've tried it. Only thing that worked was fixing my swing!

npham
05-28-2014, 11:35 AM

The greens there are tough. I played on Sunday for my first time there, and I 3 putted so many times. I shot 88 there which wasn't terrible considering I've never played there and there were lots of blind tee shots.

I haven't been to Inglewood yet this year, but plan to ASAP. It's 5 minutes from work!

~Leah~
05-28-2014, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by USED1

Not to sound like a dick but it's not the equipment that is preventing you from hitting it straight, trust me I've tried it. Only thing that worked was fixing my swing!

I should clarify - normally I can keep it straight. It was just the day (I worked an event at my course the day before for 18 hours and was exhausted so wasn't fully rotating probably)... it's length I'm looking for. The new technology out there does add distance to a good swing (not to sound like a bitch but I'm almost certain I have the nicest swing of anyone here).

The greens there are tough. I played on Sunday for my first time there, and I 3 putted so many times. I shot 88 there which wasn't terrible considering I've never played there and there were lots of blind tee shots.

I haven't been to Inglewood yet this year, but plan to ASAP. It's 5 minutes from work!

The greens were definitely tough but receptive and in pretty good shape! Let me know when you come out here, it's in good shape too... somehow!

petoria
05-28-2014, 12:48 PM
playing stewart creek in canmore on friday morning. heard many great things about this course. looking forward to it!

played inglewood last week and wasn't very impressed tbh. the greens are in great condition, however their fairways are so inconsistent. very bumpy fairway and it's almost like your ball is in a divot each time you're hitting. won't be going back to inglewood this year.

colinxx235
05-28-2014, 01:23 PM
Thought I would follow up on my last post about new driver.

The Ping I20 was great at Elbow on Saturday. Did Elbow front, Springs back. Shot 46/44. That included two just ugly triples on front hole 3/4, then we got rained on from hole 4 to 11.

Back 9 I was happy with, had two putts run around the hole on me and still kept a 44. So easily a 42 without the rim jobs.

See how the next rounds go with the driver, I forgot to book for this weekend ahead of time and all the times I could play are gone. Might try to walk on if I can...

~Leah~
05-28-2014, 01:34 PM
playing stewart creek in canmore on friday morning. heard many great things about this course. looking forward to it!

played inglewood last week and wasn't very impressed tbh. the greens are in great condition, however their fairways are so inconsistent. very bumpy fairway and it's almost like your ball is in a divot each time you're hitting. won't be going back to inglewood this year.

Interested to see how the holes held up at Stewart Creek that were affected by the flood.

As for Inglewood - you must have ended up in weird spots because I really haven't had issues on the fairways besides a couple areas that are being fixed on the back 9. Considering the entire golf course was under 20 feet of raging water less than a year ago, they've brought it up to par pretty well in my opinion. I don't think it's fair to say it's like you're hitting out of a divot each time because they are not that bad. But to each their own.

~Leah~
05-28-2014, 01:35 PM
Thought I would follow up on my last post about new driver.

The Ping I20 was great at Elbow on Saturday. Did Elbow front, Springs back. Shot 46/44. That included two just ugly triples on front hole 3/4, then we got rained on from hole 4 to 11.

Back 9 I was happy with, had two putts run around the hole on me and still kept a 44. So easily a 42 without the rim jobs.

See how the next rounds go with the driver, I forgot to book for this weekend ahead of time and all the times I could play are gone. Might try to walk on if I can...

Almost time for a little competition between us I see?? You can have home track advantage!