PDA

View Full Version : George Stroumboulopoulos to host "Hockey Night in Canada"

CanmoreOrLess
03-09-2014, 10:44 PM
Well short of Nick Cage hosting this program, it can't get any worse IMO.:

TSN reporter Bob McKenzie tweeted Sunday the CBC host of George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight will become the face of the show when Rogers Communications Inc. takes control of CanadaÕs NHL broadcasting rights next season.

Not one positive reaction in the reader comments, Stroum can't get any love:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2014/03/09/george-stroumboulopoulos-to-host-hockey-night-in-canada-when-rogers-takes-control-of-iconic-show-report/

btimbit
03-09-2014, 11:13 PM
Awful decision. Nothing against him but why the hell don't they have a hockey guy doing it?

RickDaTuner
03-09-2014, 11:16 PM
didn't Stromb.. have a deal with MSNBC? or CNN?

thinmyster
03-10-2014, 12:08 AM
Besides the morning show and Peter Maher, Rogers is just the absolute worst.

Calgary and Edmonton broadcasts are almost unwatchable at times.

Kerr
Lombarias
Leslie
Principe
Steingeek <- who I actually don't mind now

But common, brutal move. So sad for TSN.:cry:

Sorath
03-10-2014, 01:43 AM
No, just No

sputnik
03-10-2014, 06:32 AM
Hockey Night in Canada will be a shell of its current self by next season anyway.

e31
03-10-2014, 10:36 AM
Maybe I just don't understand Hockey economics, but how the hell does Rogers expect to recuperate $150+ from every single citizen in Canada with Strombo as the face of HNIC?

SOAB
03-10-2014, 10:51 AM
i'll give him a chance. he seems like an intelligent guy, does really good interviews and i'm sure he is a hockey fan.

can't be any worse than the guys Rogers currently has. :dunno:

Quizzes
03-10-2014, 10:53 AM
I like the hire. Stroumbo is actually quite knowledgeable about hockey and great with interviews. However, Ron McLean is a western guy, so we may have to deal with more eastern bias with the new facelift.

Rogers needed to revamp the getting-to-be-stale HNIC brand and making it their own, so this is a good segue into the takeover.