PDA

View Full Version : Electrical panels in new build

Deeznuts
03-10-2014, 07:57 AM
I just went over the plans for a new home I'm building in the NW (just under 2400 sq ft), and I noticed a Left and Right side Electrical Panel - one in Mechanical Room and the other in Basement Bedroom. Is it a CEC requirement to have 2 separated panels? I'd typically would like to see both in the Mechanical Room.

Cos
03-10-2014, 08:03 AM

BigDL
03-10-2014, 08:17 AM
This is easy to answer. The reason why the plan shows two locations is because the electrical supply to your lot could come from either side of the house. So depending on your lot it could go to the left or right side of your house. I was confused too when I built but once they I saw where my utilities entered my lot it made sense.

Cos
03-10-2014, 08:20 AM

Deeznuts
03-10-2014, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by BigDL
This is easy to answer. The reason why the plan shows two locations is because the electrical supply to your lot could come from either side of the house. So depending on your lot it could go to the left or right side of your house. I was confused too when I built but once they I saw where my utilities entered my lot it made sense.

We're passed the preliminary stage and these dwgs are updated with architectural changes. At this point it's pretty obvious cable entrance will be on the left side directly into the mechanical room. The right side electrical panel is showing on the opposite end directly under the front door entrance. Is there still a possibility that cable entrance could be from either side during construction?

Cos
03-10-2014, 08:36 AM

BigDL
03-10-2014, 10:26 PM
I built with Avi and it still shows on the stage two drawings that includes elevation changes due to my lot.

frozenrice
03-11-2014, 07:01 PM
Another reason they show both locations is for basement development layout. In some circumstances the electrical services come in on the side of the house that is opposite to the side the mechanical room is on. This means that sometimes the electrical panel ends up in a bedroom or recreation room. By showing the potential panel locations customers are made aware where the panel could end up. If it does end up in a bedroom or recreation room (or just a spot they don't like because it's ugly), the customer then has an opportunity to "jumper" the panel to the mechanical room. Of course there is a cost to do this as it takes extra labour and materials to do it compared to mounting the panel right on the other side of the wall from the electric meter..

stillworking
03-12-2014, 06:40 PM
If the electrical service is being routed from point of entry into the mechanical room, make certain that that 2-3 empty conduits are also connected from where the electric service goes in to mechanical room as well. These conduits will be necessary for future services into the house, and are sometimes overlooked.

Deeznuts
03-13-2014, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by stillworking
If the electrical service is being routed from point of entry into the mechanical room, make certain that that 2-3 empty conduits are also connected from where the electric service goes in to mechanical room as well. These conduits will be necessary for future services into the house, and are sometimes overlooked.

Good point...

Builder confirmed that it is always shown on the plans until feeds to the lot are confirmed.

I have no doubt that feeds will be on the garage side and directly into the mechanical room.