03-12-2014, 06:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5DRCTW-Q7o

ekguy
03-12-2014, 07:25 PM
god damn!!!

sounds pretty nuts!!

gpomp
03-12-2014, 07:26 PM
Runs 10s all day long, what an engineering marvel.

max_boost
03-12-2014, 07:32 PM
lol incredible. will wait till they depreciate to <$100k to buy lol

ekguy
03-12-2014, 07:34 PM
yeah it's over 200,000k well optioned out is it not?? is it worth that much in reality?

xrayvsn
03-12-2014, 07:47 PM
The Turbo S starts at $206,600 MSRP. Porsche options are extensive and can easily add another $50k to that price.

heavyD
03-12-2014, 08:00 PM
Wow I had no idea the PDK transmission was that strong. It's actually stunning actually. Most DCT's would have been in limp mode before the 5th run.

Maxx Mazda
03-12-2014, 08:24 PM
That's crazy. Christ!

Mibz
03-12-2014, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by xrayvsn
The Turbo S starts at $206,600 MSRP. Porsche options are extensive and can easily add another $50k to that price. Part of the appeal of the Turbo S is that it comes standard with most of the "essential" options. You'd be hard-pressed to legitimately spend another $15,000 unless you wanted every piece of trim painted body colour or something.

EDIT: Fuck, guy, put on some sunglasses if the camera is under the sun.

That's fucking impressive. I thought it was just going to be a video of one launch or something.

rage2
03-12-2014, 10:01 PM
When PDK was first introduced, the launch control would limp after 4 of 5, and take forever to cool down. That's on a NA 997 too. Glad it's all sorted out.

A2VR6
03-13-2014, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
Part of the appeal of the Turbo S is that it comes standard with most of the &quot;essential&quot; options. You'd be hard-pressed to legitimately spend another $15,000 unless you wanted every piece of trim painted body colour or something.

:werd: The last 991 Turbo S Coupe I saw at the Porsche dealership had a sticker of 211,825 with only 4k of options and it came with pretty much everything... I had to do a double take since i've never seen a Porsche basically with less than 10k of options :rofl:

For comparisons sake, on the other side of showroom was a Turbo Cab that had 40k of options and had a sticker of 225k. Alot of the options for the Turbo Cab were standard on the Turbo S

flipstah
03-13-2014, 07:00 AM
So expect used ones to be bagged to crap haha.

98type_r
03-13-2014, 01:31 PM
Even if they are, it shouldn't matter... According to their engineers anyways

The 911's clutches are bathed in oil, which is cooled, as are all the car's powertrain fluids. Hatz added that those Porsche-designed and ZF-built clutches are considered lifetime parts, good for well over 100,000 miles.

KRyn
03-13-2014, 01:32 PM
Super impressive, I would love to own a Turbo one day! :drool:

max_boost
03-13-2014, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
So expect used ones to be bagged to crap haha. More like driven properly. What's the point of a $200k car that can't be driven for its intended purposes. :D

shakalaka
03-13-2014, 02:29 PM
Amazing engine...just need to get over the looks, that are akin to the Beetle! lol

flipstah
03-13-2014, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by 98type_r
Even if they are, it shouldn't matter... According to their engineers anyways

Originally posted by max_boost
More like driven properly. What's the point of a $200k car that can't be driven for its intended purposes. :D

True. You buy these cars for performance so I approve.

It'll just be interesting when the time comes if these engineers are right.

All of you assume they're always right :rofl:

ercchry
03-13-2014, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

True. You buy these cars for performance so I approve.

It'll just be interesting when the time comes if these engineers are right.

All of you assume they're always right :rofl:

61 launches in a row... they arent wrong :rofl:

ekguy
03-13-2014, 07:08 PM
i don't see what people don't like about the looks of this car....

personally I think porsche really hit it out of the park with this one.

this is the first 911 I like since the mid 90's. Well...don't mind the 996 and 997 either but mid 90's was definitely porsche's time to shine!!!

this I feel harkens back to their roots and definitely succeeded in making a sexy car that can back it up with some wild engineering.

would do some terribly terrible things to get my hands on one of these!!!

m10-power
03-13-2014, 07:24 PM
where are the nissan fanboys? love to see a new gtr try to do this....

the no hands runs are just silly, as much as I would love one of these I think Id rather stay a bit more analog.

K3RMiTdot
03-13-2014, 09:30 PM
i hate that rear wiper blade... but i love the god ddamnn car. especially the color.. holy

soobad
03-13-2014, 10:35 PM
Just purchased a 997 Turbo manual yesterday... last of the manuals & Metzger GT1 race-derived engine. Everyone else can have their granny automatics ;P

Though admittedly I am very jealous of launch control.

max_boost
03-14-2014, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by soobad
Just purchased a 997 Turbo manual yesterday... last of the manuals &amp; Metzger GT1 race-derived engine. Everyone else can have their granny automatics ;P

Though admittedly I am very jealous of launch control. Tiptronic > manual! :poosie: haha congrats buddy! Throw up some pics and let's go cruise sometime!

sputnik
03-14-2014, 11:59 AM
Just purchased a 997 Turbo manual yesterday... last of the manuals &amp; Metzger GT1 race-derived engine. Everyone else can have their granny automatics

Enjoy your slow shifts.

Neil4Speed
03-14-2014, 12:49 PM
Just purchased a 997 Turbo manual yesterday... last of the manuals &amp; Metzger GT1 race-derived engine. Everyone else can have their granny automatics ;P

Though admittedly I am very jealous of launch control.

Unless you track the car, I would also buy the Manual. Realistically, your not going to get even 10% of the cars capability on the street, so its going to be more about feel - which is definitely more there on a manual vs PDK.

xrayvsn
03-14-2014, 12:59 PM
The 991 Turbo S is PDK only now. There is no longer a manual offered.

Darkane
03-14-2014, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by m10-power
where are the nissan fanboys? love to see a new gtr try to do this....

the no hands runs are just silly, as much as I would love one of these I think Id rather stay a bit more analog.

Right here.

Your point is irrelevant. The gtr is an old platform. It's like saying lets see a 997 turbo S do this.

That said the GTR can and does stand up to many launches. It needs a quick cool down (1mile of driving) after 4 in a row and can go again. Doesn't go into limp mode, just doesn't launch.

soobad
03-14-2014, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Tiptronic &gt; manual! :poosie: haha congrats buddy! Throw up some pics and let's go cruise sometime!

Would love to man. I will throw up a couple pics in this thread when I "pick er up" in likely a week or two.

rx7_turbo2
03-14-2014, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

Unless you track the car, I would also buy the Manual. Realistically, your not going to get even 10% of the cars capability on the street, so its going to be more about feel - which is definitely more there on a manual vs PDK.

I shared those exact sentiments, until I drove a PDK equipped car (997 C2S), track, stop and go grind around town, on the freeway, I'd take the PDK. In my older 911 (964), the manual is part of the nostalgic feel, but in the newer cars the PDK just makes the car so easy to drive, and on the odd track day it becomes a beast.

soobad
03-14-2014, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

I shared those exact sentiments, until I drove a PDK equipped car (997 C2S), track, stop and go grind around town, on the freeway, I'd take the PDK. In my older 911 (964), the manual is part of the nostalgic feel, but in the newer cars the PDK just makes the car so easy to drive, and on the odd track day it becomes a beast.

"Beastness" is a constantly moving target, but driving engagement only seems to be constantly reduced with newer cars and less involvement.

There may always be someone faster, but you don't always need the fastest car to have the most fun.

rx7_turbo2
03-14-2014, 04:15 PM

&quot;Beastness&quot; is a constantly moving target, but driving engagement only seems to be constantly reduced with newer cars and less involvement.

There may always be someone faster, but you don't always need the fastest car to have the most fun.

I don't disagree. The manual transmission in high performance cars is going ( if not gone) the way of the Dodo. I'm not sure that's a good thing.

My point was that the PDK surprised me, I expected a whitewashed, sterile driving experience. What I found was the opposite. It sounds counterintuitive but I found myself more engaged in the driving experience. I believe Porsche feels the vast majority of its buyers feel the way I do. Of the half dozen people I know who have purchased 997's and 991's over the last few years every one has chosen the PDK, and every one would have told you they were hardcore manual transmission guys before they made the switch ( some by choice, some not).

max_boost
03-14-2014, 04:47 PM
I love dual clutch+launch control after being exposed to it in my GTI. I just can't quite afford/justify one on the 911. :cry:

m10-power
03-14-2014, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Darkane

Right here.

Your point is irrelevant. The gtr is an old platform. It's like saying lets see a 997 turbo S do this.

That said the GTR can and does stand up to many launches. It needs a quick cool down (1mile of driving) after 4 in a row and can go again. Doesn't go into limp mode, just doesn't launch.

id be more worried about internal transmission parts. sure the 997 turbo S will do the same thing 50 times without issue. cars are build tough, dont think the gtr would do as well. plus warrenty would be voided if you touch the factory launch control lol

Darkane
03-14-2014, 11:41 PM

id be more worried about internal transmission parts. sure the 997 turbo S will do the same thing 50 times without issue. cars are build tough, dont think the gtr would do as well. plus warrenty would be voided if you touch the factory launch control lol

Lol. Warranty isn't voided? Who told you that.

It's 100% fine to launch the GTR. In fact it will do 50. The gtr clutches are also a "lifetime" part.

The GR6 FYI is the only DCT to handle the huge power being made today. Shit AMS is releasing their Alpha 20 BEAST right away. 2000awhp. No PDK is handling that.

Not to take away from Porsche they are the best OVERALL dct maker. Nissan is no slouch.

M.alex
03-15-2014, 12:46 AM
Am i the only one who watched the video and thought 'how boring'?

Wow, you push a button and floor the throttle and the car drives itself for you. Zzzzzzzzzzz

soobad
03-15-2014, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by M.alex
Am i the only one who watched the video and thought 'how boring'?

Wow, you push a button and floor the throttle and the car drives itself for you. Zzzzzzzzzzz

Yup... that's what I was trying to get at.

You can get used to the performance of a car and it does eventually lose some of it's fun-factor based on the raw acceleration / shock factor... but the challenge of doing a nearly perfect launch yourself or nailing a nice rev-matched heel-toe shift is something you can get a lot of joy from every time.

All that isn't meant to say that a Turbo is about that, that's the GT3, but hey some like a challenge...

I don't disagree. The manual transmission in high performance cars is going ( if not gone) the way of the Dodo. I'm not sure that's a good thing.

My point was that the PDK surprised me, I expected a whitewashed, sterile driving experience. What I found was the opposite. It sounds counterintuitive but I found myself more engaged in the driving experience. I believe Porsche feels the vast majority of its buyers feel the way I do. Of the half dozen people I know who have purchased 997's and 991's over the last few years every one has chosen the PDK, and every one would have told you they were hardcore manual transmission guys before they made the switch ( some by choice, some not).

Totally understand what you're getting at, and I imagine you can focus more on the driving dynamics, the steering, the line & a bunch of other things without having to worry about shifting at all... but keep in mind that a Turbo is an entirely different level of performance than a Carrera/Carrera S PDK.

At the 500+ AWD level of power, you can't realistically dip into it like you somewhat can in an NA Porsche on a frequent everyday basis (without doubling the limit in seconds)... so the question becomes, what makes the drive more fun? .4 less on the quarter mile, or the challenge and engagement of shifting? For me, it's the latter unquestionably, but I understand people who just want to hammer from A-B as sharply and quickly and comfortably as possible, and for that PDK makes sense.

rx7_turbo2
03-15-2014, 03:57 AM

Totally understand what you're getting at, and I imagine you can focus more on the driving dynamics, the steering, the line &amp; a bunch of other things without having to worry about shifting at all... but keep in mind that a Turbo is an entirely different level of performance than a Carrera/Carrera S PDK.

At the 500+ AWD level of power, you can't realistically dip into it like you somewhat can in an NA Porsche on a frequent everyday basis (without doubling the limit in seconds)... so the question becomes, what makes the drive more fun? .4 less on the quarter mile, or the challenge and engagement of shifting? For me, it's the latter unquestionably, but I understand people who just want to hammer from A-B as sharply and quickly and comfortably as possible, and for that PDK makes sense.

You're right, there is a significant difference between a new Turbo S and the Carrera S I've driven with PDK, and I've yet to drive a Turbo S (not sure I'll ever get that chance). However the way I see it the more performance on tap the more the PDK shines. I think there is a percentage of the market that wants to bang through the gears themselves, yourself included. However the manufacturers clearly have decided that market share is too small to cater too, and that even hardcore manual transmission guys often change their opinion when they actually get to drive a twin clutch gear box, making the manual transmission slice of the pie pretty small. Even the bare bones racer, the GT3 is now PDK only. Ferrari, Lambo, all have made the same decision and not by coincidence I wouldn't think.

I personally think in this scenario the more options the better, I don't see why a manual can't be an option for people like yourself who despite the performance and ease of use advantage, find shifting gears themselves adds to the experience of driving. It's not like Porsche hasn't made damn near everything else an available option;) But I'm not counting beans over there so......

As for the GTR my understanding was that there was a class action lawsuit regarding voided warranties? If I'm wrong or that's old news I apologize.

rage2
03-15-2014, 10:50 AM
At the 500+ AWD level of power, you can't realistically dip into it like you somewhat can in an NA Porsche on a frequent everyday basis (without doubling the limit in seconds)...
I'm not even going to go near the auto manual debate, but I do have an issue with this. You'd be surprised at how often you can dip into 500+hp everyday without breaking the law (too much).

soobad
03-15-2014, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by rage2

I'm not even going to go near the auto manual debate, but I do have an issue with this. You'd be surprised at how often you can dip into 500+hp everyday without breaking the law (too much).

I've had lots of fast cars now (just sold my C63 AMG also). I certainly get into the torque for a quick blast now and again, enough to make it worth owning for sure -- but I also drive (slower) cars enough to know they're a totally different kind of enjoyment because you can really hammer on them A-B instead of tiny little "bursts of speed" and then settle to the limit...

Perhaps you've forgotten what it's like to drive a slow car rage? :devil:

Even the bare bones racer, the GT3 is now PDK only. Ferrari, Lambo, all have made the same decision and not by coincidence I wouldn't think.

I read some rumor-mill stuff that suggests they may keep a manual option in the forthcoming GT3 RS. Now that's a car I'd love to have & keep forever.

rx7_turbo2
03-15-2014, 06:25 PM
I read some rumor-mill stuff that suggests they may keep a manual option in the forthcoming GT3 RS. Now that's a car I'd love to have &amp; keep forever.

I know someone with a deposit on a new GT3 RS. They're a previous GT3 owner, among many other impressive machines, I asked him if they do offer a transmission option what he would pick. He looked at me like I had 2 heads, PDK. I've yet to know anyone that went back to a manual after PDK, in fact I've yet to know anyone who ordered their car without PDK after driving one with it.

As I've mentioned I personally think the more options the better, and I would like to see a manual option in the 991 GT3 RS, but I wouldn't be surprised if we don't that's for sure. Sadly the pendulum has swung this way with all the top manufacturers, some day it may swing back.

m10-power
03-15-2014, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Darkane

Lol. Warranty isn't voided? Who told you that.

It's 100% fine to launch the GTR. In fact it will do 50. The gtr clutches are also a &quot;lifetime&quot; part.

The GR6 FYI is the only DCT to handle the huge power being made today. Shit AMS is releasing their Alpha 20 BEAST right away. 2000awhp. No PDK is handling that.

Not to take away from Porsche they are the best OVERALL dct maker. Nissan is no slouch.

probably old info I read, gtr doesnt interest me much honestly so I dont follow the latest. just remember the broken transmisson of one of the first gtrs in calgary that was denied warrenty because launch control was used.

i do believe the stock dct isnt used in the higher power gtrs, significant internal upgrades are required.

never heard of a pdk breaking

dont get me wrong, gtr is an awesome platform. issues I have with it are its size and everyone Ive know that was a hardcore road course driver quickly sold them stating it was boring to drive. I do think 1000whp would change that though...

Darkane
03-15-2014, 08:52 PM

probably old info I read, gtr doesnt interest me much honestly so I dont follow the latest. just remember the broken transmisson of one of the first gtrs in calgary that was denied warrenty because launch control was used.

i do believe the stock dct isnt used in the higher power gtrs, significant internal upgrades are required.

never heard of a pdk breaking

dont get me wrong, gtr is an awesome platform. issues I have with it are its size and everyone Ive know that was a hardcore road course driver quickly sold them stating it was boring to drive. I do think 1000whp would change that though...

Yeah for sure. They are heavily modified transmissions.

Model year 09 the GTR could only launch with VDC off which is what voids warranty even today. Back then with VDC on the car would only spool to 2000rpm for launch. With VDC off it would do 4500.

FWD to now, the car has the most current launch control which allows it to turn 4100 with VDC in race mode. Even still 1500 rpm under a PDK launch control it's still one of the most violent cars leaving the line.

I've heard of PDK issues. Just gotta dig for it. Don't get me wrong I was cross shopping PDK turbos before my GTR.