PDA

View Full Version : Oil and Gas in Alberta designing new Alberta education curriculum

Toma
03-12-2014, 06:32 PM
Lol....

Just wow.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/touch/story.html?id=9606253

FraserB
03-12-2014, 06:38 PM
Oh wow, another completely misleading thread title.:rolleyes:

Toma
03-12-2014, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Oh wow, another completely misleading thread title.:rolleyes:

How? I can't type the whole paragraph up there.

Wtf busienss does Ceonvus or Suncor have inputing on grade 3 curriculum?

Toma
03-12-2014, 06:48 PM
I can just see the new textbooks....

Susy has 5 barrels of crude. At $96 a barrel, how much would Susy get selling the oil?

Lol. Nothing like starting the imprinting young.

Critics say they’re worried about the direction of Alberta’s massive overhaul of school curriculum after it was revealed Tuesday major oil companies are being consulted on changes.

A document posted to the Alberta Education website indicates companies such as Syncrude Canada, Cenovus Energy and Suncor Energy are included among partners “in helping draft Alberta’s future curriculum for our students” from kindergarten to Grade 12.

USED1
03-12-2014, 06:48 PM
You should work in media you goof, that is the worst misleading thread title. Those companies are considered stakeholders (as they will be future employers) and will sit on committee that will help design. They aren't the only ones involved.

Toma
03-12-2014, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by USED1
You should work in media you goof, that is the worst misleading thread title. Those companies are considered stakeholders (as they will be future employers) and will sit on committee that will help design. They aren't the only ones involved.

Oh.... I'm sorry. 'Helping design'.

Better clownboy newbie?

USED1
03-12-2014, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Toma

Oh.... I'm sorry. 'Helping design'.

Better clownboy newbie?

Actually, I've been around since '06, just don't repeatedly post troll threads such as yourself.

And I guess I could have worded it better as they are being consulted, assclown!

Tik-Tok
03-12-2014, 07:02 PM
Ahh, so everyone in K-03 shouldn't even consider working anywhere but oil right? "Future stakeholders"... In children??? Holy fuck are you twisted.

Toma
03-12-2014, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Ahh, so everyone in K-03 should even consider working anywhere but oil right? "Future stakeholders"... Holy fuck are you twisted.

Bah, just ANOTHER o&g worker that feels his lively hood is threatened by people that think there's a such thing as "over development", and believe in words like "moderation".

lol

I don't think the title is misleading. Corporations have ZERO business interfering with early education.

But this is timed perfect after my opinion in the other thread how the PC's destroying education will some day be used as justification for its privatization... like Health Care.

Now, another agenda has surfaced.

No biggie, just something to watch out for.

schocker
03-12-2014, 07:17 PM
What about stantec, pcl, Alberta construction association :rolleyes:

Big employers will eventually employ people such as the adults these children grow into and are looking for them to have skills like math and science

Tik-Tok
03-12-2014, 07:21 PM
Doesn't matter the industry, none of them belong in elementary school. They want to have job fairs in high school, go for it, but shouldn't have anything to do with mandatory curriculum (k to gr.10)

Toma
03-12-2014, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Doesn't matter the industry, none of them belong in elementary school. They want to have job fairs in high school, go for it, but shouldn't have anything to do with mandatory curriculum (k to gr.10)

Exactly... Job fair in Grade 11 or 12, give your input on what is needed to institutions like SAIT for their programs.

Crooks, always looking for an "IN" it seem lol.

FraserB
03-12-2014, 07:26 PM
Depends on what the involvement is. If it's pushing a certain agenda, then there is obviously a case against it. But something like promoting trades is completely fine.

Toma
03-12-2014, 07:39 PM
Depends on what the involvement is. If it's pushing a certain agenda, then there is obviously a case against it. But something like promoting trades is completely fine.

In elementary?

It specifically says input in the curriculum redesign.

Thats nucking futs.

FraserB
03-12-2014, 07:50 PM
Introducing trades to kids at a young age is completely fine. People need to get their heads out of their ass and keep jamming their kids into university to get useless degrees or wind up as 1 of 1000 people applying for that EIT position. For some reason the trades are still stigmatized, which is completely baffling (especially in Alberta).

Tik-Tok
03-12-2014, 07:52 PM
Introducing trades to kids at a young age is completely fine. People need to get their heads out of their ass and keep jamming their kids into university to get useless degrees or wind up as 1 of 1000 people applying for that EIT position. For some reason the trades are still stigmatized, which is completely baffling (especially in Alberta).

Yeah, but no 8yo is thinking of their future job, lol. Unless astronauts, hockey players, and princess are now considered trades :rofl:

Really it's pushy parents that need re-education, not children.

Toma
03-12-2014, 08:08 PM
Everyone should have some post secondary education.

Upto grade 12 is your foundation....building blocks. Past that is your chance at choosing your education or specialty, or passion. Even if its only a year or two.

Many countries have mandatory milirary service after high school. We are lucky to have the educational opportunity instead, and it would be irresponsible of any parent to not encourage this privilege.

davidI
03-12-2014, 09:02 PM
As an O&G worker, I'm pretty tired of working with people who can't correctly write or do not have basic math skills.

Considering that O&G companies provide so much future employment and see where skills are lacking after people graduate, I think it's a good thing they have input. As someone mentioned, if they're pushing an agenda that's something different, but I'm sure they're aware at how big of an uproar there would be if that were to happen.

I'm from a family of educators and sadly what they're taught to teach is different from what the corporate world needs. I'm not saying everyone is expected to end up in corporate, but I am saying that businesses should be just as influential on the curriculum as music, dance, or art.

If the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra were involved, no one would be demonizing them!

schocker
03-12-2014, 09:47 PM
I am assuming these large companies have an idea on defficiencies they see in the work force and areas that could be concentrated more on ie math and science not a new core class called oil and gas and you for 12 years.

syscal
03-12-2014, 10:07 PM
If getting input from the O&G industry is bad, even though they draw heavily on math in all areas of their business, then what other segment should they draw on that wouldn't gain the same negative attention? Investment and banking would be a big no if you hate O&G, capitalist pigs right? Should we gather up all the starbucks barrista's with psychology degrees to establish a new way of learning? I'm pretty sure the curriculum in place right now came from the touchy feely types.

You're thinking indoctrination and forgetting about the wealth of knowledge those companies can provide. You're thinking traders and money money money and forgetting about the engineers, analysts, accountants, and other professional designations representing these companies.

EDIT: Just realized my entire post is based on a math only arguement...must have that on the brain from the other thread and the news this morning. My argument still stands, though the barrista's can help with Art curriculum. Better right?

Toma
03-12-2014, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by syscal

You're thinking indoctrination and forgetting about the wealth of knowledge those companies can provide. You're thinking traders and money money money and forgetting about the engineers, analysts, accountants, and other professional designations representing these companies.

It's Elementary. Sorry, I could write the program for fuck sakes. Who the hell needs "Industry Input" for that?

If the idiots the PC's tasked with the job need help, call the Japanese, or Finish, or Germans.... or any other education experts.

syscal
03-12-2014, 11:01 PM

It's Elementary. Sorry, I could write the program for fuck sakes. Who the hell needs "Industry Input" for that?

If the idiots the PC's tasked with the job need help, call the Japanese, or Finish, or Germans.... or any other education experts.

Yea, I'm sure it's that simple. My bad.

Toma
03-12-2014, 11:31 PM

Yea, I'm sure it's that simple. My bad.

It is that simple.

Need advice for a heart surgery, ask an expert Heart Surgeon. Not an Archaeologist.

Need help with a suspension bridge design, don't call a psychologist.

Need education help, get an education expert, you know, people with PHD's or people from countries that designed and excel in their education system.

It's so simple, I feel stupid having to explain it.

syscal
03-12-2014, 11:53 PM

It is that simple.

Need advice for a heart surgery, ask an expert Heart Surgeon. Not an Archaeologist.

Need help with a suspension bridge design, don't call a psychologist.

Need education help, get an education expert, you know, people with PHD's or people from countries that designed and excel in their education system.

It's so simple, I feel stupid having to explain it.

No educated people in the O&G sector AT ALL. I'm also pretty sure they aren't the sole source of consultation for this process. But yea, big brother is trying to get us all, blah blah blah, fear and paranoia.

Oh, and you said it was so simple you could do it. So according to your comments above, you're an "education expert"? a PHD doesn't make you an expert in the subject of education, it just makes you an expert at being educated. I'm being very unfair to PHD's with that statement (apologies to my brother) but my point is, who is the expert? The people that designed the current system?

I think it's time for common sense, which does not generally come from academia or union employees.

Consulting other countries? for sure! I'm willing to bet they are doing that as well. O&G is only being consulted as part of the process according to the article you posted.

And while I'm typing this, why the hell am I arguing with someone that misrepresents an article where the major critics are NDP and GreenPeace? Might as well start asking celebrities what their thoughts are.

codetrap
03-13-2014, 07:23 AM
I love how Toma keeps running down his customer base. Evil O&G! Evil industry! Come spend your money here you fucking life sucking bastards! Anti industry, but not realizing this are the same people that have disposable income to tune cars......

Grades K-3

External Stakeholder Advisory Committee of key Education partners (e.g. College of Alberta School Superintendents (CASS), Alberta School Boards Association (ASBA), Alberta Teachers ’ Association (ATA), Alberta School Councils’ Association (ASCA), Association of Alberta Public and Charter Schools (AAPCS), French Canadian Association of Alberta (ACFA), Association of Independent Schools and Colleges in Alberta (AISCA), Association of School Business Officials of Alberta (ASBOA), Public School Boards ’ Association of Alberta (PSBAA), St. Albert Public Schools, Alberta Chambers of Commerce, Edmonton Economic Development Corporation, Suncor Energy Inc., Syncrude Canada Ltd., Alberta Construction Association, The Northern Alberta Institute of Technology, Stantec Inc. and PCL Industrial Contractors Inc, Apple Canada, University of Alberta,City of Edmonton, Kisiko Awasis School
Grades 4-6, 7-9 & 10-12

Business and industry; e.g., SMART Technologies, Careers Next Generation, Weigl Publishing, Cenovus Energy, Apple, Building Trades of Alberta, Microsoft Canada, CISCO, Byye Labs, Alberta Health Services

Definitely evil.. all these nasty corporations that the schools already use for as vendors, or are major contributors to education already. This is an outline document... it's basically saying that "We're going to talk to industry, and see what skills they need in the future, and maybe we'll include some of that in our curriculum."

Slow week Toma? You're getting more and more posty than usual.

icky2unk
03-13-2014, 09:35 AM
I love how Toma always gets so butt hurt over nothing.

I don't mind the idea of a better foundation of knowledge for k-12. As the poster mentioned above it is not strictly oil and gas and it's not saying it's an oil and gas curriculum.

I embrace the idea of major corporations coming to the table and disclosing what the current generation of new grads are lacking. The lack of knowledge and capability people have in the work force coming out of post secondary is mind blowing. I cannot count the numerous times I've heard someone say they wish they learnt something back in school that would have helped them. It's not about shaping people into oil and gas, it's about creating a better skilled work force for the next generation.

CapnCrunch
03-13-2014, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
I love how Toma keeps running down his customer base. Evil O&G! Evil industry!\

Wait, wait, wait, this guy has customers?

I sure hope he's selling wind farm energy credits. :rofl:

ExtraSlow
03-13-2014, 10:11 AM
I trust the companies named more than I trust Toma.

Toma
03-13-2014, 11:38 AM

No educated people in the O&G sector AT ALL. I'm also pretty sure they aren't the sole source of consultation for this process. But yea, big brother is trying to get us all, blah blah blah, fear and paranoia.

Oh, and you said it was so simple you could do it. So according to your comments above, you're an "education expert"? a PHD doesn't make you an expert in the subject of education, it just makes you an expert at being educated. I'm being very unfair to PHD's with that statement (apologies to my brother) but my point is, who is the expert? The people that designed the current system?

I think it's time for common sense, which does not generally come from academia or union employees.

Consulting other countries? for sure! I'm willing to bet they are doing that as well. O&G is only being consulted as part of the process according to the article you posted.

And while I'm typing this, why the hell am I arguing with someone that misrepresents an article where the major critics are NDP and GreenPeace? Might as well start asking celebrities what their thoughts are.

Obviously, reading comprehension is not your thing.

Probably because we didn't have Suncor's input in your grade 6 education. :nut:

Toma
03-13-2014, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by icky2unk
I love how Toma always gets so butt hurt over nothing.

I don't mind the idea of a better foundation of knowledge for k-12. As the poster mentioned above it is not strictly oil and gas and it's not saying it's an oil and gas curriculum.

I embrace the idea of major corporations coming to the table and disclosing what the current generation of new grads are lacking. The lack of knowledge and capability people have in the work force coming out of post secondary is mind blowing. I cannot count the numerous times I've heard someone say they wish they learnt something back in school that would have helped them. It's not about shaping people into oil and gas, it's about creating a better skilled work force for the next generation.

Fuck, the IQ's in here drop like stones.

YOU REALLY THINK ANYONE "needs" industry input in Elementary?

Trade school, versus foundation building. See the difference?

Wondering how many posting here thought Elementary was hard? Junior High? High School?

:zzz:

woodywoodford
03-13-2014, 11:43 AM

Wondering how many posting here thought Elementary was hard? Junior High? High School?

How surprising, Toma thinks everyone who disagrees with him is stupid. Derp.

GTS4tw
03-13-2014, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

Wait, wait, wait, this guy has customers?

I sure hope he's selling wind farm energy credits. :rofl:

He makes evil fuel burning cars burn more fuel, and burns it purely for fun while murdering innocent babies everywhere. The fuel companies love him, but the environment is sad.

CapnCrunch
03-13-2014, 11:45 AM

Fuck, the IQ's in here drop like stones.

YOU REALLY THINK ANYONE "needs" industry input in Elementary?

Trade school, versus foundation building. See the difference?

What are your specific concerns?

Toma
03-13-2014, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by GTS4tw

He makes evil fuel burning cars burn more fuel, and burns it purely for fun while murdering innocent babies everywhere. The fuel companies love him, but the environment is sad.

hahaha, actually the opposite.

Guys mod their cars beyond the scope of the tunes in them, and I fix them to run as good as they can.

Pretty well EVERYONE picks up mileage after the tune has been corrected for their mods.

Car guys understand this. ;)

Toma
03-13-2014, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by woodywoodford

How surprising, Toma thinks everyone who disagrees with him is stupid. Derp.

No, just curious, so I thought I would conduct a poll. :dunno:

Makes me evil, I know. :devil:

GTS4tw
03-13-2014, 12:38 PM

hahaha, actually the opposite.

Guys mod their cars beyond the scope of the tunes in them, and I fix them to run as good as they can.

Pretty well EVERYONE picks up mileage after the tune has been corrected for their mods.

Car guys understand this. ;)

Yeah drag racing is similar gas mileage to a prius, gotcha.

Dont get me wrong, I love burning excessive amounts of fossil fuels for absolutely no reason too. And to drive faster and burn even more! But then, im not a hypocrite about it.

Toma
03-13-2014, 01:03 PM
Tell yourself what you need about me, when you have no logical input into the argument.

Lol.

Xoxoxo

kertejud2
03-13-2014, 01:17 PM
HK0BMaUMmGw

Mibz
03-13-2014, 01:47 PM
French Canadian Association of Alberta (ACFA) Why aren't people outraged about this? Why do our children need to indoctrinated into eating croissants and growing thin mustaches?

Toma
03-13-2014, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by kertejud2
HK0BMaUMmGw

LOL!

Toma
03-13-2014, 02:27 PM
I like these debates...

So, there is a genius self made 80 hour a week self professed rich guy, tell me that I'm just bitter because I'm poor and haven't profited from the O&G boom....

And also, have another genius call me a hypocrite because I do profit from O&G.

lmao.

So which is it, and is it relevant to the topic?

I love you right wing nuts. No matter what forum, in what country, your tactics stay the same lol!

Toma
03-13-2014, 02:37 PM
The debate....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFaW0Kc02PY&feature=youtu.be

wFaW0Kc02PY

GTS4tw
03-13-2014, 02:38 PM
I like these debates...

So, there is a genius self made 80 hour a week self professed rich guy, tell me that I'm just bitter because I'm poor and haven't profited from the O&G boom....

And also, have another genius call me a hypocrite because I do profit from O&G.

lmao.

So which is it, and is it relevant to the topic?

I love you right wing nuts. No matter what forum, in what country, your tactics stay the same lol!

I'm glad I made your list of geniuses! My talents go largely unrecognized unfortunately.

To answer your questions, you do profit from O&G in more than one way, and you are a hypocrite. And it is not relevant to this topic at all.

Toma
03-13-2014, 02:39 PM
The debate....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFaW0Kc02PY&feature=youtu.be

wFaW0Kc02PY

Oil and gas "partners" in all 4 levels of education, TEACHERS only partners in ONE.

HOLY FUCK.

"We all work for oil and gas, we cant all work for Green Peace"....

Sugarphreak
03-13-2014, 02:51 PM

Toma
03-13-2014, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
What a terrible thing…. Kids might actually learn the wholesome truth about the O&G industry and how we are a world leader in environmental protection and sustainable practices instead of the left wing lies slung around by so called “environmental groups”, might actually spawn some pride and motivation…. can’t have that.

We definitely need more broken souls to endlessly go to university through their 30’s to study psychology and social studies so they can troll the internet better

Ahhh... So you admit to brain washing being the motivation.

You just agree with it.

So, there are apparanlty only 2 sides to this debate.

Both recognise that the young malleable minds will be 'shaped'.

One side thinks its good. The other questions its goodness. Lol

ExtraSlow
03-13-2014, 03:14 PM
The entire point of teaching kids is to "shape" the minds. social studies (or whatever the fuck they call it) is 100% designed to shape the morals and attitudes of children with respect to our governmental systems.
Gym is designed to brianwash kids into thinking sports and physical activity are fun.

ALL education is brainwashing.

kvg
03-13-2014, 03:26 PM
Toma you didn't blame Harper directly in this thread

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/brule-omg.gif

Toma
03-13-2014, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by kvg
Toma you didn't blame Harper directly in this thread

Like I said, seems like "conservatives" the world over are morally bankrupt (the modern political parties, not the ideology). Harper just seems extra slimy.

Just to make you happy ;)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1/p403x403/1920633_642399895833788_1079266466_n.jpg

kvg
03-13-2014, 04:38 PM
All is right in the universe now

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/youre-awesome.gif

codetrap
03-13-2014, 04:53 PM
Like I said, seems like "conservatives" the world over are morally bankrupt (the modern political parties, not the ideology). Harper just seems extra slimy.
We get it... you like to complain about the conservatives....

So, now that you're all done bitching and moaning about them, are you going to start complaining about the liberals next? Because honestly, when they were in power, nothing was any different except the colors..

Or do you just like to complain without offering any insight in how to make it better?

Maybe you should read this.... Click Here (http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-squeaky-wheel/201107/the-survival-guide-dealing-chronic-complainers)

googe
03-14-2014, 10:01 AM
It's a sad day when people think this is reasonable or defensible. I get that they write your paychecks, but give me a break. "O&G is going to help people learn to read!" Are you serious?

If that makes any sense at all, it's amazing that you manage to tie your own shoes.

codetrap
03-14-2014, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by googe
It's a sad day when people think this is reasonable or defensible. I get that they write your paychecks, but give me a break. "O&G is going to help people learn to read!" Are you serious?

If that makes any sense at all, it's amazing that you manage to tie your own shoes. Really. It's amazing that I can tie my own shoes when I actually read through the document, only to understand that out of 20+ external stakeholders on this advisory board, 2 of them are oil companies that are two of the major employers of highly trained people in Alberta. The others are all employers of highly educated/trained people as well, or post secondary institutions, except for Apple. They employ a bunch of retail monkeys and "genius" bar phone techs.

The whole premise of the article is sensationalism. You want to know how it'll play out? Alberta Ed will say, "Hey Advisory Commitee, what are your recommendations?" And the commitee will say, "We think we should promote continuing education, post secondary education, sciences, trades, medicine, engineering, etc. Oh, and we probably need to promote more women in all those fields as well." If you think for a second that 2 members of that panel are going to overrule all the rest, as well as Alberta Ed and start having Uncle BigOil reading tales of the "Bill, the Oily Duck" in Kindergarten classrooms then you're just a fool.

schocker
03-14-2014, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by googe

If that makes any sense at all, it's amazing that you manage to tie your own shoes.

They are going to companies that hire skilled workers to help them see what input they would ie no one now can write by hand or do math in their heads. There isn't going to be oil and gas class. I also like the toma train running full steam on O&G when there are many other industries involved in this also. Can't wait for an IT in alberta designing new alberta education curriculum thread. I just hateeeeeeeeeeeee IT

googe
03-15-2014, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
The whole premise of the article is sensationalism. You want to know how it'll play out? Alberta Ed will say, "Hey Advisory Commitee, what are your recommendations?" And the commitee will say, "We think we should promote continuing education, post secondary education, sciences, trades, medicine, engineering, etc. Oh, and we probably need to promote more women in all those fields as well." If you think for a second that 2 members of that panel are going to overrule all the rest, as well as Alberta Ed and start having Uncle BigOil reading tales of the "Bill, the Oily Duck" in Kindergarten classrooms then you're just a fool.

Haha, you don't know about Talisman Terry the Frackasaurus?

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/391552/july-11-2011/anti-frack-attack

And we're talking K-3. Obviously the curriculum for 7 year olds doesn't have anything to do with post-secondary or continuing education.

Toma
03-15-2014, 11:41 AM
There is ONLY one "stakeholder" in my education, or my sons.

The INDIVIDUAL in question.

"stakeholder" insinuates that you have some sort of right to determine my future.

Fuck You if you think you have that 'right'

Honestly. This isn't North Korea or communist Russia of old.

I HONESTLY can't believe ANYONE thinks this is ok. Grade fucking 3?

Again. Fuck Off. :nut: