PDA

View Full Version : Steel Garage

DENZILDON
03-14-2014, 12:36 PM
Anyone know if this can be done in Calgary of has any one done it?

Been very interested in it since I saw it in a US commercial.

Just saw this on FB and not sure if there's restrictions in Calgary and how much is it per square feet?

http://www.rocketsteelcanada.com/garages.htm?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=canada-men-30-39-garages

schurchill39
03-14-2014, 12:56 PM
As far as the restrictions go I would assume it would be the same as erecting any other structure on your property. It would need to fall under height restrictions and property coverage restrictions which are based on your community and area of town. Look up the bylaws for any garage and the same should apply here.

I'm not sure how much they cost as I've only ever known people on farms to get their quonsets built like this, never a private garage. I would assume it would be more cost effective than a regular garage.

DENZILDON
03-14-2014, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by schurchill39
I would assume it would be more cost effective than a regular garage.

That's what I was thinking too plus its very low maintenance.

Tik-Tok
03-14-2014, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by DENZILDON

That's what I was thinking too plus its very low maintenance.

I would think it would hurt your property value though. No one is going to look at one of those and think "Man, that garage looks awesome!".

I vaguely recall my boss looking into it for his property in Irricana, and for whatever reason, they wouldn't allow it. He figured he could get around the rules by building it as a "temporary building" (ie not fastened to the ground), but never ended up doing it.

DENZILDON
03-14-2014, 03:42 PM
You think so? My back alley is not really a selling point for it.

It may look industrial and different but there's no trusses so more area space for bigger trucks or height for a frames, etc.

Tik-Tok
03-14-2014, 03:49 PM
You think so? My back alley is not really a selling point for it.

It may look industrial and different but there's no trusses so more area space for bigger trucks or height for a frames, etc.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I personally wouldn't have much problem with it on my property, but your neighbors probably won't be happy, hahah.

Your house compared to an exact version, with a normal city garage. Pretty much everyone would take the latter.

DENZILDON
03-14-2014, 04:03 PM
I actually think its nice! hahaha!

roopi
03-14-2014, 04:45 PM
I actually think its nice! hahaha!

There is nothing nice about these in a residential environment. On an acreage/farm I see no issues with it but I would not want to look at that everyday in my neighborhood.