PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Pro 13" (Late 2013) vs Asus Zenbook UX302

holden
03-15-2014, 12:03 AM
I'm deciding whether to but the refurbished Macbook Pro 13" for $1,319 (link (http://store.apple.com/ca/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=ME865LL/A&step=config)) or the ASUS Zenbook UX302 for $1,399 (link (http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX49003)).

I would need to occasionally use Windows (Bootcamp) on the Macbook for some work stuff. Advice?

khanan
03-15-2014, 01:52 AM
Depends on your usage...

If you are running a lot of heavy programs on windows, bootcamp sucks for those.

Clearly the ASUS is more equipped, better specs.

But the mac has a very good resale value, meaning you can turn around and sell it a year down the road and you wont lose as much money as the ASUS. Just an apple thing.

I would personally go for the ASUS, because bootcamp isn't the best alternative. Yes it gives you the flexibility to run windows but it isn't the same performance that you would get from a windows based laptop. It's very laggy when you use heavy apps as said above. Most you could expect from bootcamp would be reading files that osx can't and along those lines.

I had a macbook pro i7, 13". Ran like butter when I used it, put bootcamp on it and tried running autocad, after that I noticed it slow down a lot so I erased windows completely and bought a desktop for when I need to use windows.

DeeK
03-15-2014, 02:20 AM
The premium you pay for Apple hardware is ridiculous. Build a hackintosh instead, you'll get much more horsepower, more computer for your money, and have the ability to native boot into either operating system instead of relying on bootcamp.

http://www.hackintosh.com/

http://www.macbreaker.com/2013/04/preview-new-hackintosh-laptops-of-2013.html

holden
03-15-2014, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by khanan
Depends on your usage...

If you are running a lot of heavy programs on windows, bootcamp sucks for those.

But the mac has a very good resale value, meaning you can turn around and sell it a year down the road and you wont lose as much money as the ASUS. Just an apple thing.

I would personally go for the ASUS, because bootcamp isn't the best alternative. Yes it gives you the flexibility to run windows but it isn't the same performance that you would get from a windows based laptop. It's very laggy when you use heavy apps as said above. Most you could expect from bootcamp would be reading files that osx can't and along those lines.

I had a macbook pro i7, 13". Ran like butter when I used it, put bootcamp on it and tried running autocad, after that I noticed it slow down a lot so I erased windows completely and bought a desktop for when I need to use windows.

Usage won't be heavy on Windows. Mainly to run remote desktop on VPN back to the work servers. Mostly it will be used for web browsing and media stuff. I'm not so concerned about getting the most powerful machine, since I don't play games or do any heavy processing. I'm more concerned about reliability, ease of use, build quality and resale value.

holden
03-15-2014, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by khanan
Depends on your usage...

When you loaded Bootcamp, did you use Windows 7 or 8?

bball2
03-16-2014, 12:27 AM
I have the UX302 at work and personally own a 17" 2011 Macbook Pro (i7 - 8gb ram - 128gb ssd / 750gb hdd)

The UX302 is definitely one of the better windows laptops I've used. Very portable, great battery life, excellent resolution on the screen for the size, and good overall build quality.

Saying that, I still prefer using the macbook pro (use windows 8 dual booted on there 95% of the time). Better keyboard / trackpad, screen size (comparing 17" vs 13" - so not the same in your case), and being able to use OSX.

khanan
03-16-2014, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by holden

When you loaded Bootcamp, did you use Windows 7 or 8?

Windows 7 ultimate.