PDA

View Full Version : What is the best CCTV setup?

khanan
03-15-2014, 01:37 AM
Hey everyone,

I am looking forward to install 2-4 CCTV cameras around my house, 2 in the front and the other 2 around the garage.

I live in the hood so my car was broken into, insurance covered damage but cops told me they can't do nothing without proof...

I had previously bought some cheap ebay cameras, installed them last, but unfortunately, they couldn't last in -40 degress, so it was a waste of ~$400.

So, what am I looking for?
-HD (preferably)
-Should have night vision
-Should work in winter too
-The cheaper the better.
-Also, any vendors you guys might be aware of

I went to check out some of those cameras at princess auto, but they sucked too, barely 420p.

Also, I have been researching individual cameras too, but getting the best might be a little harder as individual cameras with a good dvr can cost more than a package. If there is some type of a package that would be a better choice.

Thanks.

amear
03-15-2014, 01:49 AM
Call this guy, he charged us slightly under 3grand but yours should be cheaper for your needs, Tell him I referred you 403681702five

nykz
03-15-2014, 10:10 AM
Check out Tri-Ed, they have a location down south in Calgary.

http://www.tri-ed.com/

AndyL
03-15-2014, 10:36 AM
Which eBay cameras do you have?

I've got one wanscam that can be a bit flakey at -40 but that got easily resolved with a outdoor housing and - I think its a 25w heating pad. YMMV.

blairtruck
03-15-2014, 10:58 AM
im looking for a 4 camera hd setup for 1000$. POE preferred

revelations
03-15-2014, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by AndyL
Which eBay cameras do you have?

I've got one wanscam that can be a bit flakey at -40 but that got easily resolved with a outdoor housing and - I think its a 25w heating pad. YMMV.

Yea I have one as well sitting on my roof. Its a wireless, 640x480, rated to -25c (but has seen -35). I think it was 50$. Has IR as well.

It needs an occasional reboot (once a month) and it connects to a spare old PC I have sitting around.

khanan
03-16-2014, 01:11 AM
Thanks for the replies, I will check them out.

I had some generic ones, the instructions were in chinese.

They worked great at first, but after some time I started to notice that the colour quality was deteriorating. This continued until one of the cameras stopped working completely (I am talking september, not even that cold yet).

The rest of 3 cameras followed a similar pattern until all of them died out. I replaced the wires withe better quality cables but no luck.

Also the DVR's capacity was 500gb, but it was a pain in the ass navigating the software to view the recordings.

Kloubek
03-16-2014, 03:56 AM
That's odd - I've been running generic ebay ones for years now without issues at all.

Zorac
03-16-2014, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by blairtruck
im looking for a 4 camera hd setup for 1000$. POE preferred

http://www.costco.ca/Swann%E2%84%A2-8-Channel-HD-NVR-with-2TB-HDD-and-4-1080p-HD-Cameras.product.100042455.html

cant speak for the nvr, but i have a pair of these cameras and have been very happy with them.

blairtruck
03-16-2014, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Zorac

http://www.costco.ca/Swann%E2%84%A2-8-Channel-HD-NVR-with-2TB-HDD-and-4-1080p-HD-Cameras.product.100042455.html

cant speak for the nvr, but i have a pair of these cameras and have been very happy with them.
i started a thread start of dec.
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/377276/home-security-cams/

was told stay away from costco stuff. and needed a camera with a fan and a heater for winters in edmonton

brandon
03-16-2014, 09:57 AM
Have a spare computer to use?

If so get a decent POE switch, buy a license or two for however many cameras you need.

Purchase decent IP cameras and be done! Samsung techwinn has great prices these days.

Any questions feel free to ask. My business specializes in surveillance and access control! But I'm not a beyond vendor so all I can do is point you in the right direction.

Zorac
03-16-2014, 10:08 AM
was told stay away from costco stuff. and needed a camera with a fan and a heater for winters in edmonton [/B]

ive had a pair outside all winter, and its been a pretty cold winter, with no issue at all. :dunno:

blairtruck
03-16-2014, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by brandon

Any questions feel free to ask. My business specializes in surveillance and access control! But I'm not a beyond vendor so all I can do is point you in the right direction. [/B]

dome or bullet

brandon
03-16-2014, 11:02 AM

dome or bullet

Interior or exterior?

Dome cameras are great for not allowing people to see the direction the camera is facing. Where as bullet cameras allow one to visualize the view the camera is getting and try and stray around it.

blairtruck
03-16-2014, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by brandon

Interior or exterior?

Dome cameras are great for not allowing people to see the direction the camera is facing. Where as bullet cameras allow one to visualize the view the camera is getting and try and stray around it.
3 exterior a must. front yard. back yard garage pad.
i didn't like the look of the bullet for sure

brandon
03-16-2014, 11:31 AM

3 exterior a must. front yard. back yard garage pad.
i didn't like the look of the bullet for sure

Then go with a dome for sure! Bullets are good for long range shots depending on the model.

Might clear out some demo models soon! When I post them on beyond ill pm yah.