PDA

View Full Version : 7 days to register used car?

16hypen3sp
03-16-2014, 03:15 AM
Let's say I buy a used car from someone. Obviously have to have insurance before taking it on public roads.

I heard something about a maximum of 7 days to get it registered. I know it used to be that way but is it still?

I'm not talking about in-transit permits either. I talking about taking a plate off one of my cars, buying the used car, throwing on that plate and driving away (and potentially driving it that way for a few days).

EDIT: Now this has got me thinking about the insurance too. Is there some grace period from insurance companies that covers the car I just bought for the drive home with that plate from my other car on?

Perfect Dark
03-16-2014, 07:32 AM
You have 14 days to register your vehicle.

Edited because apparently I'm wrong haha.

ExtraSlow
03-16-2014, 07:51 AM
I'm not an expert on this, but my understanding is pretty much like Perfect Dark says. Zero grace period on insurance. Registration you get some short period of time. Myself, I always register on the next work-day.

As for insurance, I've actually gotten insurance on cars BEFORE I bought them to avoid this issue. Buy it on a Friday, cancel on Monday if the sale falls through. No big deal and I think most insurance companies can do this.

brucebanner
03-16-2014, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I'm not an expert on this, but my understanding is pretty much like Perfect Dark says. Zero grace period on insurance. Registration you get some short period of time. Myself, I always register on the next work-day.

As for insurance, I've actually gotten insurance on cars BEFORE I bought them to avoid this issue. Buy it on a Friday, cancel on Monday if the sale falls through. No big deal and I think most insurance companies can do this.
:werd:

G-ZUS
03-16-2014, 08:22 AM
It's actually 14 days to transfer your insurance AND registration folks.

sr20s14zenki
03-16-2014, 08:23 AM
To those who say you dont have grace for insurance, please see Alberta SPF-1 General Provisions (5)

http://www.finance.alberta.ca/publications/insurance/standard_automobile_policy_2007.pdf

"an automobile, ownership of which is acquired by the insured and, within fourteen days following the date of its delivery to him, notified to the the Insurer in respect of which the insured has no other valid insurance, if either it replaces an automobile described in the application or the Insurer insures (in respect of the section or subsection of the Insuring agreements under which claim is made) all automobiles owned by the Insured at such delivery date and in respect of which the Insured pays any additional premium required; provided however, that insurance hereunder shall not apply ir the insured is engaged in the business of selling automobiles".

Wife (was) an unsurance broker, and we've been thru this one before. That all being said, just call your damn insurance company, its so easy haha. But IF shit comes to shit, and you're in a pickle, LEGALLY you can put your plates on your new car and drive. I think it's PLPD by default or something, she cant remember (course was like 6 years ago that covered this)

Apparently SPF-1 is the document of guidelines that all of them need to abide by tho.

I put all of this to the test. I had a 240sx that i thew my plates on, and knowing the law was on my side, drove. After about a week (had planned to call, seriously) i was helping a friend on the side of the road, and an officer decided to pull over to see if we need help, and ran our plates at the same time. Long story short, he didnt believe me about spf-1, towed my car, gave me a no insurance ticket, yatta yatta. I got all of the documentation, took it to the JP, and all of my tickets were gone. Car was back. In the end i had to pay towing, impound fees, Was it worth it? Fuck no, dont be stupid like i was, call your insurance, UNLESS you're in a pickle and need to use this law.

Masked Bandit, care to join in?

pheoxs
03-16-2014, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
It's actually 14 days to transfer your insurance AND registration folks.

Proof?

G-ZUS
03-16-2014, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by pheoxs

No it's not. You need insurance on that car from day 1, period. There's no grace period for insurance please stop spreading that bs.

Refer to the post above you ;)

brucebanner
03-16-2014, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
I put all of this to the test. I had a 240sx that i thew my plates on, and knowing the law was on my side, drove. After about a week (had planned to call, seriously) i was helping a friend on the side of the road, and an officer decided to pull over to see if we need help, and ran our plates at the same time. Long story short, he didnt believe me about spf-1, towed my car, gave me a no insurance ticket, yatta yatta. I got all of the documentation, took it to the JP, and all of my tickets were gone. Car was back. In the end i had to pay towing, impound fees, Was it worth it? Fuck no, dont be stupid like i was, call your insurance, UNLESS you're in a pickle and need to use this law.

So because the officer wrongfully ticketed and siezed your vehicle, you still had to pay impound/tow fees? That seems messed up doesn't it? Did you not see it worth your time to fight that?

As far as the OP's question, guess I stand corrected. I honestly thought you needed to notify your insurance of the new to you vehicle but knew you could use an existing plate.

Perfect Dark
03-16-2014, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
To those who say you dont have grace for insurance, please see Alberta SPF-1 General Provisions (5)

http://www.finance.alberta.ca/publications/insurance/standard_automobile_policy_2007.pdf

"an automobile, ownership of which is acquired by the insured and, within fourteen days following the date of its delivery to him, notified to the the Insurer in respect of which the insured has no other valid insurance, if either it replaces an automobile described in the application or the Insurer insures (in respect of the section or subsection of the Insuring agreements under which claim is made) all automobiles owned by the Insured at such delivery date and in respect of which the Insured pays any additional premium required; provided however, that insurance hereunder shall not apply ir the insured is engaged in the business of selling automobiles".

Wife (was) an unsurance broker, and we've been thru this one before. That all being said, just call your damn insurance company, its so easy haha. But IF shit comes to shit, and you're in a pickle, LEGALLY you can put your plates on your new car and drive. I think it's PLPD by default or something, she cant remember (course was like 6 years ago that covered this)

Apparently SPF-1 is the document of guidelines that all of them need to abide by tho.

Masked Bandit, care to join in?

I think there is a large amount of confusion on the insurance companies side of things then. I spoke with both my broker and the registry when I was attempting to purchase a vehicle over the weekend and was told by both entities that insurance has no grace period whatsoever.

I'm definitely curious now to hear from someone else in the industry.

sr20s14zenki
03-16-2014, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by bruceod

So because the officer wrongfully ticketed and siezed your vehicle, you still had to pay impound/tow fees? That seems messed up doesn't it? Did you not see it worth your time to fight that?

As far as the OP's question, guess I stand corrected. I honestly thought you needed to notify your insurance of the new to you vehicle but knew you could use an existing plate.

At the time, i didnt have the time or money to deal with more BS. Yes, i think its worth it to fight, but really i just wanted it to be over.

The wife said she was actually at a seminar where a lady covered that topic, and she is apparently very well versed in the industry. Apparently she had even gone to teach seminars to the police, and covered that topic a few times. None of them knew about it. I think that, even it exists, the insurance company doesnt like to tell people about it, so that people dont abuse it, because if you think about it, its a pretty easy policy to abuse.

Mixalot27
03-16-2014, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by bruceod

How would one go about fighting something like that and having impound/tow fees reimbursed? Is there some type of procedure in place to get reimbursed if this happens wrongfully to you and you are found not guilty of the offense?

Masked Bandit
03-16-2014, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Perfect Dark
You have 14 days to register your vehicle.

There is no grace period for insurance. Anyone who tells you that is wrong and needs to be slapped, corrected, then slapped again.

O'RLY?

I think there is a large amount of confusion on the insurance companies side of things then. I spoke with both my broker and the registry when I was attempting to purchase a vehicle over the weekend and was told by both entities that insurance has no grace period whatsoever.

I'm definitely curious now to hear from someone else in the industry.

There is absolutely a 14 day provision for insurance and registration...UNDER THE RIGHT CIRCUMSTANCES. There are many qualifiers to have it work correctly so a pre-purchase conversation with your broker prior to purchase is a good idea but basically:

- The new car needs to be a substitution for an existing vehicle.
- All of your auto insurance needs to be with a single carrier (insurance company, not broker).
- If there are multiple vehicles on that policy then the lowest coverage transfers to the new vehicle.

There are a couple of other small things but that's the general idea. Also, insurance & registration have slightly different rules for when you can and can't use the 14 rule. Of course sometimes you can be right and still get screwed over by a cop that doesn't know the rules just like what happened to sr20s14zenki. I've always wondered about that. The cop was 100% wrong yet he was still out some money. I would be pretty damn vocal about CPS reimbursing me for those expenses. But who knows if you could ever recover the money regardless of how long you were willing to fight it.

guessboi
03-16-2014, 11:10 AM
14 day provision has been discussed in prior threads.

Safest method is to have your broker or agent email you a pink card first before you drive the 'new' car. (Good companies or brokers should be able to do this for you on a weekend) Otherwise let them know a day or two in advance.

/ end of thread

Perfect Dark
03-16-2014, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

O'RLY?

There is absolutely a 14 day provision for insurance and registration...UNDER THE RIGHT CIRCUMSTANCES. There are many qualifiers to have it work correctly so a pre-purchase conversation with your broker prior to purchase is a good idea but basically:

- The new car needs to be a substitution for an existing vehicle.
- All of your auto insurance needs to be with a single carrier (insurance company, not broker).
- If there are multiple vehicles on that policy then the lowest coverage transfers to the new vehicle.

There are a couple of other small things but that's the general idea. Also, insurance & registration have slightly different rules for when you can and can't use the 14 rule. Of course sometimes you can be right and still get screwed over by a cop that doesn't know the rules just like what happened to sr20s14zenki. I've always wondered about that. The cop was 100% wrong yet he was still out some money. I would be pretty damn vocal about CPS reimbursing me for those expenses. But who knows if you could ever recover the money regardless of how long you were willing to fight it.

Thank you for the clarification, I've edited my comment so that if someone reads this thread only the correct information is on here.

ExtraSlow
03-16-2014, 03:46 PM
OK, I'll admit I may be wrong about the insurance, however, if I need a phone call with my broker to confirm, that's not any more difficult than actually buying coverage, which would save all the hassle.

16hypen3sp
03-16-2014, 05:19 PM
Hmmmmm... so 14 day grace period to register new car. And kind of up to insurance policy as to wether your covered or not for 14 days.

The reason for asking is if I buy a vehicle on Friday night, I'm going to have no papers except for the bill of sale saying its mine until at least Monday. Scared some traffic cop is going to have a field day on me because of it.

FraserB
03-16-2014, 05:24 PM
Why not line up insurance before you go pick it up?

G-ZUS
03-16-2014, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
Hmmmmm... so 14 day grace period to register new car. And kind of up to insurance policy as to wether your covered or not for 14 days.

The reason for asking is if I buy a vehicle on Friday night, I'm going to have no papers except for the bill of sale saying its mine until at least Monday. Scared some traffic cop is going to have a field day on me because of it.

Explain it to him, some of them are quite understanding and not pricks. You can also print off the SPF-1 and show them it in the event you get pulled over.

My_name_is_Rob
03-16-2014, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

Explain it to him, some of them are quite understanding and not pricks. You can also print off the SPF-1 and show them it in the event you get pulled over.

^this

Plus it doesnt hurt to have a copy of your bill of sale with you if you get pulled over.

sr20s14zenki
03-16-2014, 06:18 PM
Haha the officer that got me was so dumb. He assured me that it's illegal not to register a car that you own. He said that my friend that owned the car before me was a criminal because he didn't register it either. It just sat for a year. Haha. Some people.

phil98z24
03-17-2014, 07:17 AM
Let's say I buy a used car from someone. Obviously have to have insurance before taking it on public roads.

I heard something about a maximum of 7 days to get it registered. I know it used to be that way but is it still?

I'm not talking about in-transit permits either. I talking about taking a plate off one of my cars, buying the used car, throwing on that plate and driving away (and potentially driving it that way for a few days).

EDIT: Now this has got me thinking about the insurance too. Is there some grace period from insurance companies that covers the car I just bought for the drive home with that plate from my other car on?

This topic has been discussed so many times, I'm not sure why people are still giving out the wrong information.

You have 14 days to register, if and only, if you plan to use a plate from an existing VALID registration and intend to move that plate to the new vehicle. You can't borrow it for 14 days, or use it to get the vehicle home. It must be transferred, otherwise it's an unauthorized use of plate and you will be operating an unregistered vehicle.

Any other case, the vehicle must be registered and plated to be allowed on the road. End of story. Hope that helps.

edit - Until the vehicle is registered, you must have a bill of sale with you at all times and provide that upon demand. That helps avoid any confusion or issues that can come with existing registration being on a new vehicle until it's transferred over.

Masked Bandit
03-17-2014, 09:40 AM

Thank you for the clarification, I've edited my comment so that if someone reads this thread only the correct information is on here.

:thumbsup:

16hypen3sp
03-17-2014, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by phil98z24

This topic has been discussed so many times, I'm not sure why people are still giving out the wrong information.

You have 14 days to register, if and only, if you plan to use a plate from an existing VALID registration and intend to move that plate to the new vehicle. You can't borrow it for 14 days, or use it to get the vehicle home. It must be transferred, otherwise it's an unauthorized use of plate and you will be operating an unregistered vehicle.

Any other case, the vehicle must be registered and plated to be allowed on the road. End of story. Hope that helps.

edit - Until the vehicle is registered, you must have a bill of sale with you at all times and provide that upon demand. That helps avoid any confusion or issues that can come with existing registration being on a new vehicle until it's transferred over.

Ok so... Take plate off car sitting in my driveway, attach plate to car I just bought at the sellers property, drive home, transfer that plate to new car at registry office within 14 days. The other car sitting in my driveway which originally held the plate, has to have a new plate if you have the intention of keeping it?

Keep in mind that this scenario is happening during the weekend, when I can't get any proper documentation until Monday.

FraserB
03-17-2014, 06:53 PM
What is keeping you from setting all this up prior to picking the vehicle up?

Temp pink card and registration on Friday and just slap the new plate on when you pick it up.

Black Gts
03-17-2014, 06:59 PM
Or use plate off current vehicle to get it home, if you get caught you were intending to transfer plate when registry is open.

sr20s14zenki
03-17-2014, 07:15 PM

Ok so... Take plate off car sitting in my driveway, attach plate to car I just bought at the sellers property, drive home, transfer that plate to new car at registry office within 14 days. The other car sitting in my driveway which originally held the plate, has to have a new plate if you have the intention of keeping it?

Keep in mind that this scenario is happening during the weekend, when I can't get any proper documentation until Monday.

I believe the stipulation of the rule is that you need to sell the old car, but its not hard to sell that to your gf for 1$ now is it (=

16hypen3sp
03-17-2014, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
What is keeping you from setting all this up prior to picking the vehicle up?

Temp pink card and registration on Friday and just slap the new plate on when you pick it up.

What happens if you don't end up buying it tho?
Pick it up as in, pay him, get bill of sale, leave car at sellers place, insure, register, pick up car?

Sounds alright, except for leaving a car I just paid for on stangers property while I line up all the paperwork.

guessboi
03-17-2014, 08:30 PM

What happens if you don't end up buying it tho?
Pick it up as in, pay him, get bill of sale, leave car at sellers place, insure, register, pick up car?

Sounds alright, except for leaving a car I just paid for on stangers property while I line up all the paperwork.

I can issue a temporary pink card and not process any thing until the deal is done. If the deal is a no go, then nothing will be changed.

sr20s14zenki
03-17-2014, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by guessboi

I can issue a temporary pink card and not process any thing until the deal is done. If the deal is a no go, then nothing will be changed.

yah theres like what a 1 week binding authority or something? (helped wife study before, cant remember anything now)

phil98z24
03-18-2014, 02:30 AM

You got it. However, you don't have to register the old car unless it's on a public or publicly accessible roadway... Though there may be a bylaw against the car sitting in your driveway unplated, I'd have to look. But yeah, you're good to go in your scenario if you do it that way. :thumbsup: