PDA

View Full Version : Basement Crack

Brent.ff
03-17-2014, 12:42 PM
So bought our first home in late October, and this weekend found a bit of the baseboard in the finished basement was swelling. I pulled the baseboard and found some pretty good evidence of water damage (i.e., mold, drywall falling apart, nails are rusted). Was hoping that it was just going to be a condensation issue, which I could (hopefully) fix.

However, found a foundation crack which is the likely culprit (some small amounts of water on the cement side of the cement-side vapor barrier). Now a couple things, outside where the crack is, there seems to be a 'patch' of sorts, however the patch does not go below grade.

Since the home inspector only inspects what is visual, obviously they did not find this (or the crack behind the drywall).

In my mind, this is obviously not a new issue, with the amount of rust on the nails and carpet tack strip, and the 'attempt' to fix a crack. Is there any recourse, or can the seller's play dumb and nothing come of it? I am in the process of getting it dealt with.

The joys of homeownership..