PDA

View Full Version : Chromecast Now Available!

schocker
03-18-2014, 06:19 PM
Chromecast is now availabile on google play. $39 + shipping = $45.95. Pretty fun to play around with especially now that more and more apps are including casting like netflix, google music etc.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=chromecast

actually buy it on amazon, free shipping!

http://www.amazon.ca/Google-Chromecast-Streaming-Player-Compatible/dp/B00IT92PR0/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1395188957&sr=1-6&keywords=chromecast+canada

captain134
03-18-2014, 06:23 PM
The showbox app with allcast works great to cast TV/movies to Chromecast from android device.

jwslam
03-18-2014, 06:48 PM
I got ripped off by this in less than 1 week. WTF.
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ebay-ca-google-chromecast-hdmi-streaming-media-player-43-us-free-ship-1457672/

firebane
03-18-2014, 06:51 PM
I am interested in this but at the same time I'm not sure. The issue is that I currently have a HTPC hooked up to my TV and don't see a need for this.

But at the same time for $45 .. would be a fun little toy.

captain134
03-18-2014, 07:19 PM
I know what you are saying but for what its worth I have several media devices hooked up(htpc,ATV, xbone) and still like having the CC. It is just nice to be browsing your phone/tablet, find a video you like and be able to cast to your tv(it even turns on your TV and switches input if not on). Also its nice to be able to cast tv/movies from your phone because I find it easier to search it on a phone then using any remote,keyboard etc...

Also for anybody who doesn't have a media device its definitely the cheapest option.

GQBalla
03-18-2014, 07:48 PM
I ordered one about an hour ago. Not bad for 46 bucks. But then I came here and noticed it was on amazon as well.....the cheap chink in me is beating myself up now

benyl
03-18-2014, 08:01 PM
I've had one since September. It's great for Netflix and you tube.

sputnik
03-18-2014, 08:07 PM
I think I would rather spend the extra $20 and get one of these.

http://www.roku.com/ca/what-is-roku

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/personal-tech/cms/binary/9631332.jpg

schocker
03-18-2014, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
I think I would rather spend the extra $20 and get one of these.

http://www.roku.com/ca/what-is-roku

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/personal-tech/cms/binary/9631332.jpg
That looks like it does the exact same thing but at a higher price?

ZEDGE
03-18-2014, 08:22 PM
Since google opened up the API for the chromecast releasing their SDK the flood gates are open . There will be crap loads more uses, apps, etc for it than a Roku. Not worth it imo.

Perfect Dark
03-18-2014, 09:07 PM
I use an app called Avia to stream media to the Chromecast...it's fantastic but Google really needs to support more formats.

Between that and Netlfix it's more than paid for itself.

rage2
03-18-2014, 11:02 PM
Welcome to 2004!

Sincerely,
AirTunes (now AirPlay)

shakalaka
03-18-2014, 11:24 PM
What is it supposed to do exactly? Is there any point in having one if you have a Smart TV? I think I can do everything it does directly on my TV.

ZEDGE
03-18-2014, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Welcome to 2004!

Sincerely,
AirTunes (now AirPlay)

Yea, but it only works with iOS devices? Never used it. Also what do you need? $100 apple TV?

Chromcast:

Supported Operating Systems
Android 2.3 and higher
iOS® 6 and higher
Windows® 7 and higher
Mac OS® 10.7 and higher
Chrome OS (Chromebook Pixel, additional Chromebooks coming soon).

Toma
03-19-2014, 12:10 AM
Yeah, but it wont stream my content to my TV...

ie, my videos, mp3s etc....

takkyu
03-19-2014, 01:12 AM
Just ordered one off amazon, thanks for the heads up! Been waiting for this little guy.

captain134
03-19-2014, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Toma
Yeah, but it wont stream my content to my TV...

ie, my videos, mp3s etc....

Yes it will. There are many ways of doing it. Plex app, skifta bubble upnp etc... It does it quite well too.

captain134
03-19-2014, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
What is it supposed to do exactly? Is there any point in having one if you have a Smart TV? I think I can do everything it does directly on my TV.

Can you send things from your phone to your smart TV? Maybe you can just wondering.

n1zm0
03-19-2014, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by firebane
I am interested in this but at the same time I'm not sure. The issue is that I currently have a HTPC hooked up to my TV and don't see a need for this.

But at the same time for $45 .. would be a fun little toy.

I almost bought one when I was in FL last year from BB @ $30 during the tail end of their Black Friday sales, then I got a Minix down there w/ XBMC w/ the icefilms stuff etc instead, idk if i'd need this either now but like you said for the price it's nice to have maybe for the upstairs TV.

schocker
03-19-2014, 08:35 AM
Welcome to 2004!

Sincerely,
AirTunes (now AirPlay)
Whats with you apple fanboys! :rofl:

I will probably buy another so each tv gets one. It is nice for netflix and whatnot and hopefully soon the synology issue is sorted out. None of my tvs are smart though and from trying them smart tvs are generally really slow...

Thaco
03-19-2014, 08:47 AM
What is it supposed to do exactly? Is there any point in having one if you have a Smart TV? I think I can do everything it does directly on my TV. the point of this is to basically make a non-smart tv, smart... if you have a smart tv, you don't need this.

I was thinking this would be good for hotels and stuff, so you can watch Netflix on a big screen while travelling instead of trying to find something on the ghetto cable they normally have.

Thaco
03-19-2014, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by captain134

Can you send things from your phone to your smart TV? Maybe you can just wondering.

you can if both devices are Samsung, I do it all the time... also with Netflix you can use your tablet or phone as a remote to select stuff for your tv.

And on my non-smart tv I use my ps4 with Netflix and youtube I can use my phone to control the content.

supe
03-19-2014, 08:49 AM

I have a smart tv and generally speaking it sucks, the interface is slow and navigating around is cumbersome. With chromecast your phone becomes your interface. You browse everything through your phone then voila cast to your tv. As mentioned the API is now wide open so you're going to see an influx of apps very soon.

As far as comparison with Apple TV, the fact is once again it comes down to choice. Apple in classic fashion likes to own the whole system so its locked down to Apple devices. Price comparison is obvious. One win for Apple TV is that its all hardwired where as Chromecast runs over wifi, for myself this has worked 99.9 percent but you still get those odd moments of jitter. As for the future, I predict that just like android phones, then tablets, chromecast will take over, especially at this price point and the fact that its way more open, it seamlessly works for iOS devices too.

Thaco
03-19-2014, 09:07 AM
I just want something with a mirror option for my phone, so regardless of what I do on my phone, I see it on the tv... internet searches, youtube, Netflix, games, everything.

Dumbass17
03-19-2014, 09:21 AM
Question for the owners of this,

I don't have a smart TV, just an HDTV in my room
I don't use Netflix (it takes me longer to find something to watch than it does to download a show i'll watch :poosie: )
I have a portable harddrive that I constantly connect to computer to upload newly downloaded content to and then hook up the harddrive back to the TV to watch shows from. It's just kind of annoying to connect/disconnect so often. (god I sound lazy haha)

Will this Google Chromecast allow me to stream shows directly from my laptop to my tv without having to plug/unplug stuff? Or should I be looking at something different?

I don't watch enough youtube or online entertainment to justify this unless it can stream stuff like .avi etc

.jl-
03-19-2014, 09:28 AM
Damn, I just bought the teambuy deal a couple weeks ago for $39+ $12 shipping.

supe
03-19-2014, 09:29 AM
The answer is yes, chromecast will help you be extra lazy. Plex is supposedly one of the best streaming apps but there is a subscription you need to pay. Allcast is developed by koush and can stream from your laptop as well, I'm using windows 8 which works fine as a media server.

Thaco, the same developer koush has got mirroring to work but only on rooted nexus 5's, doesn't sound like an easy process which means getting it to work on non nexus devices probably won't happen.

rage2
03-19-2014, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by schocker
Whats with you apple fanboys! :rofl:
Just wanted to add some fuel to the fire, and thought it was funny that Apple's had this forever (rare!).

Originally posted by supe
As far as comparison with Apple TV, the fact is once again it comes down to choice. Apple in classic fashion likes to own the whole system so its locked down to Apple devices. Price comparison is obvious. One win for Apple TV is that its all hardwired where as Chromecast runs over wifi, for myself this has worked 99.9 percent but you still get those odd moments of jitter. As for the future, I predict that just like android phones, then tablets, chromecast will take over, especially at this price point and the fact that its way more open, it seamlessly works for iOS devices too.
It's open, tons of 3rd party support for Airplay. I have several different non Apple Airplay speakers at home. It's not just wired, works over either wired or wireless, as long as it's local LAN. And Kenny was able to airplay from his Android phone to my TV as well, although you have to pay to get rid of the FREE VERSION plastered on the stream for Android devices, while AirPlay is free on Apple devices.

BensonTT
03-19-2014, 10:19 AM
$39 bux.. why not.. ordered one... lol

supe
03-19-2014, 10:44 AM

It's open

Therein lies the reality of Apple users, its open to the degree that Apple allows it to be open. From an Android/open source view, it is not open. I can develop an app for chromecast, I cannot for Apple TV.

bulaian
03-19-2014, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
the point of this is to basically make a non-smart tv, smart... if you have a smart tv, you don't need this.

I was thinking this would be good for hotels and stuff, so you can watch Netflix on a big screen while travelling instead of trying to find something on the ghetto cable they normally have.

Probably won't work at a lot of hotels, since you won't be able to authenticate through the hotel wifi login page.

dirtsniffer
03-19-2014, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Thaco

I travel with a cat 5 cable and an hdmi cable. always have netflix to watch..

403Gemini
03-19-2014, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by BensonTT
$39 bux.. why not.. ordered one... lol

That was my mindset :) Cant wait haha

rage2
03-19-2014, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by supe
Therein lies the reality of Apple users, its open to the degree that Apple allows it to be open. From an Android/open source view, it is not open. I can develop an app for chromecast, I cannot for Apple TV.
If you're an Apple hater, you should at least do your research.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.cast

Description

AllCast lets you send photos, music, and videos on your Android to your TV!
AllCast supports:

* Roku
* Apple TV
* Xbox 360, Xbox One
* Samsung, Sony and Panasonic Smart TVs
* DLNA Renderers
* WDTV
* Chromecast

kJUMP
03-19-2014, 08:51 PM
just ordered it. will be interesting to see how much i use it, and how it grows in terms of features etc :thumbsup:

Xtrema
03-19-2014, 10:20 PM
Ordered it.

As much as I liked the Plex app on my TV, I prefer this directly connected to my receiver.

Getting rid of apps on my Smart TV = I can now disable Anynet+ and the fucked up sequences when programming Harmony.

takkyu
03-21-2014, 04:31 PM
Well got my chromecast today from amazon. Its setup now so going to play with it a bit.

-edit- When you first get it setup and have the chromecast app installed on your android device, make sure to change the settings on the app to play back high quality otherwise it looks pretty bad (only youtube tested so far).

YCB
03-22-2014, 01:07 PM
rather pay an extra 30 and get a full android.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tronsmart-MK908II-RK3188-Cortex-A9-Quad-Core-1-6GHz-Google-Android-4-2-Mini-TV-BOX-2G-8G-BT-External-Wifi-Antenna-Black-318432.html

flash, netflix + hola = usa, can, gb, it., chrome, utorrents, mkv's, upnp, youtube, candycrush,

/chromecast

holden
03-22-2014, 11:15 PM
Welcome to 2013.

The_Penguin
03-26-2014, 04:46 PM
Ok, just got my 2 Chromecasts from Amazon.ca

First impressions:

So I'm sitting 6 feet away from my Plasma, Chromecast plugged in to the back.
I go to do the setup, setup sees it, but can't connect.
I have a wireless G 2.4GHZ router right beside the TV, so I unplug it, poof, I'm in.
Go to join a wireless network, it sees my other other wireless ( B G N dual band 2.4 and 5 GHZ) but only the 2.4GHZ side.

Wireless is 2.4GHZ only. W T F?? Really Google?

And, it can't connect to it 30 feet away thru one wall.
I plug the other 2.4 GHZ one back in, and it connects to it fine.

Ok having a wireless device directly behind a plasma panel, I guess I can't expect it to have any kind of range. Will have to get an HDMI extension to move it from behind the set.

So I'm stuck at G for now, but it works.
Tried Plex, works great, and it streams directly from the Plex server, not thru the laptop or tablet that's controlling Plex. Same with Youtube.
Other streaming via the Chrome browser on my laptop does stream from the laptop and is pretty sluggish. If I can get it to connect to my 2.4GHZ N 20 feet away, it'll be acceptable. Not sure what to expect when I try the upstairs LCD TV...

The_Penguin
03-27-2014, 06:36 AM
Now that they're configured, they're a bit less flakey.
Setting up the second one was a bitch. The setup program would see both, even after one was powered off. Then after a reboot would see the unconfigured one, but not connect to it.
After much fighting it's set up and actually works upstairs.

Still pissed that they don't do 5ghz, but then they're $38.00...

benyl
03-27-2014, 09:05 AM
5ghz has such a shitty range anyway that it would likely default back to 2.4

Perfect Dark
03-30-2014, 12:43 AM
Just in case anyone is having the same issue, my Chromecast started having a very flaky connection to my wireless network.

I tried to restore defaults, reinstall the app on my devices, and anything else I could think of but no luck.

Stumbled across a forum that mentioned that it doesn't play nice if IPv6 is on and said to disable it. The second I disabled it on the router everything started working perfectly.

fayzed
03-30-2014, 11:20 AM
would something like this be possible, i have a minivan with a rear entertainment system and i would like to use this to stream content from my phone to the RES, possible?

I suspect not as you likely would need them running on the same wifi network but i do know there are a lot of smarter people then me on this forum any suggestions are appreciated.

BensonTT
03-30-2014, 11:45 AM
Received mine on fri... Dont know what the hype is about.. I used it with youtube app, BBC app and chrome browser... Pretty meh...

The_Penguin
03-30-2014, 11:48 AM
Received mine on fri... Dont know what the hype is about.. I used it with youtube app, BBC app and chrome browser... Pretty meh...

The hype is it's $38.00 and lets you use Plex/Netflix etc on an older TV without paying more for a Roku etc.

403Gemini
03-31-2014, 12:51 PM
Got mine Thursday, it was incentive to actually subscribe to netflix since the only other way I had to watch netflix on my tv was if i brought my laptop downstairs and thats a bit cumbersome (gaming laptop that weights a good amount and is bulky)

Watched orange is the new black all weekend. :thumbsup:

Alterac
03-31-2014, 03:19 PM
How is the Netflix interface on it?

The interface on my Blueray player is Terrible, Slow, Laggy, Basically useless to find anything also.

ZEDGE
03-31-2014, 03:26 PM
Rdio streaming now available.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/03/31/rdio-is-adding-chromecast-streaming-support/

Vudu and Crackle too apparently.

spike98
03-31-2014, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Alterac
How is the Netflix interface on it?

The interface on my Blueray player is Terrible, Slow, Laggy, Basically useless to find anything also.

There is no interface on the chromecast.

You control it through you phone so its dependent on the interface of the OS you are running.

Xtrema
04-05-2014, 09:05 PM
Just install mine but sadly Plex sucks so far. May be its the WiFi but streaming in PCM mean pretty poor audio. On top, there is audio sync issue where it seems to be like 100 to 200ms off.

Looks like this is moving out of the man cave and going to the living room.

Back to Plex Samsung app for me.

supe
04-07-2014, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by spike98

There is no interface on the chromecast.

You control it through you phone so its dependent on the interface of the OS you are running.

I'll add my 2 cents that this is genius and works flawlessly. This makes starting up netflix ridiculously fast because the limitation is how quickly you can load up the netflix app on your phone vs navigating through menus and not to mention typing on those set top boxes.

spike98
04-07-2014, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Just install mine but sadly Plex sucks so far. May be its the WiFi but streaming in PCM mean pretty poor audio. On top, there is audio sync issue where it seems to be like 100 to 200ms off.

Looks like this is moving out of the man cave and going to the living room.

Back to Plex Samsung app for me.

I have zero issues with plex on mine. Full HD and full surround audio and it sounds great. Its either your wifi strength or your plex settings.

Mitsu3000gt
10-20-2014, 06:36 PM
Sorry for the bump, got a couple questions about Chromecast I can't find a clear answer to:

1) Can it cast absolutely *ANY* screen from my device? I would want it to cast movies from MX Player from my phone onto the TV with audio (will it send 5.1 Dolby Digital/DTS?)

2) Is there any way I could get it to cast VLC Media Player content from my PC to my TV? Or does it absolutely have to be a Chrome tab?

3) Will it send 5.1 Dolby Digital Audio when using Netflix?

Thanks!

schocker
10-20-2014, 06:45 PM
1) Can't play dts I think from my testing using DS video from my synology nas
2) I dunno
3) I don't think it does 5.1 just 2 channel

jwslam
10-20-2014, 06:50 PM
1) Yes it can mirror my android phone, but the audio lags :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
2) Yes it has to be a chrome tab. Plex seems to be most people's solutions.
3) I know nothing about 5.1; using ghetto stereo speakers from the TV

Xtrema
10-20-2014, 09:25 PM
Mirroring sucks, always have, always will.

Chromecast is a good addition to TVs that you only use casually or quality doesn't matter, like bedroom or kitchen TV.

J.M.
10-20-2014, 09:40 PM
Mirroring sucks, always have, always will.

Chromecast is a good addition to TVs that you only use casually or quality doesn't matter, like bedroom or kitchen TV.

Are there any other options?

I want to mirror from my laptop to TV. So far I have come across Belkin Miracast Video Adapter and the Asus Miracast Dongle.

Was hoping to pick up Chromecast but doesn't seem like it would work for what I want to do?

Unknown303
10-20-2014, 10:06 PM
VLC is supposed to be working on getting casting support. But there's no timeline yet for it.

Mitsu3000gt
10-20-2014, 11:09 PM
Hmm, thanks guys - doesn't sound like it will do quite what I want.

There is a new Chromecast coming out, but google has said "users aren't likely to notice a difference" haha, so I can't really get excited about it.

Maybe I need to look more into Miracast dongles as well.

spike98
10-21-2014, 08:24 AM
I've been using the CC for quite some time now...

1) You can stream to any screen that the CC is connected to.
2) From a PC you have two options, browser mirroring or from PLEX
3) It certainly does 5.1 but no DTS
4) Screen mirroring works great with no sync issues. If you have issues its your WIFI strength or router configs.
5) I see no appreciable reduction in quality when streaming 1080P MKV's
6) Using AllCast you can stream pretty much anything you can play on your phone to the chromecast including files on the phone itself

Its truely an amazing device for only $40 however if you are just getting ready to purchase now, i suggest getting the Google TV box instead. Its $100 but it allows native applications to be played right off the device. Think roku+chromecast in one package.

Mitsu3000gt
10-21-2014, 08:31 AM
Thanks Spike, maybe I will try the Chromecast. It's dirt cheap and I can always return it if there are any surprises.

I wanted something more portable than a Google TV or another WDTV box, so I could watch anything from my Phone/Tablet on the big screen with proper 5.1 sound without plugging in via MHL.

I also really wanted to mirror VLC to a TV but doesn't sound like that's happening anytime soon.

spike98
10-21-2014, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Thanks Spike, maybe I will try the Chromecast. It's dirt cheap and I can always return it if there are any surprises.

I wanted something more portable than a Google TV or another WDTV box, so I could watch anything from my Phone/Tablet on the big screen with proper 5.1 sound without plugging in via MHL.

I also really wanted to mirror VLC to a TV but doesn't sound like that's happening anytime soon.

You have to be careful about portability as this chromecast MUST have an internet connection AND on the same connection as the casting device. If you are also required to log in through some sort of login portal you will have to do some MAC cloning to have the chromecast get the connection (ie, hotels)

If the internet requirement is of no concern i think you will be 100% happy with the chromecast. If you will not have an internet connection 100% of the time, then perhaps miracast (or MHL) might be your only option.

Also if VLC streaming from your computer is a huge concern, bite the bullet on setting up PLEX on the streaming computer. It will be exactly what you want (ie, local/network files initiated from a computer to a display).

Xtrema
10-21-2014, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by J.M.

Are there any other options?

I want to mirror from my laptop to TV. So far I have come across Belkin Miracast Video Adapter and the Asus Miracast Dongle.

Was hoping to pick up Chromecast but doesn't seem like it would work for what I want to do?

I have a Netgear PTV3000 and since the mirroring is thru a different adhoc network (not thru you own Wifi), my device seems to lag if I'm more than 7 ft away from the casting unit.

Under 5 ft seems to be the best.

Again, the compression make the screen quality looks like shit. It's a last resort kind of convenience.

n1zm0
10-21-2014, 10:50 AM
Hmm, thanks guys - doesn't sound like it will do quite what I want.

There is a new Chromecast coming out, but google has said "users aren't likely to notice a difference" haha, so I can't really get excited about it.

Maybe I need to look more into Miracast dongles as well.

I just backed this: Mozilla Matchstick (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/matchstick/matchstick-the-streaming-stick-built-on-firefox-os) , idk if it does what you want, also have to wait until Feb 2015 but it seems pretty damned 'unlocked' in terms of abilities.

spike98
10-21-2014, 10:54 AM

I have a Netgear PTV3000 and since the mirroring is thru a different adhoc network (not thru you own Wifi), my device seems to lag if I'm more than 7 ft away from the casting unit.

Under 5 ft seems to be the best.

Again, the compression make the screen quality looks like shit. It's a last resort kind of convenience.

I also have a PTV3000 that i picked up to play around with and the most recent update solved a lot of the stuttering/range issues i had with the unit. I dont use it hardly at all however as it is not as versatile as i need it to be.

Id sell it for cheap if someone wants one ($40)

jwslam
11-16-2015, 08:48 AM
Bump

2 Chromecast for $65 at bestbuy. Can mix/match Chromecast Audio.
Anyone have both Chromecast 2013&2015? Differences?

http://newsletter.bestbuy.ca/2015/promo/11_16/en/1116-Coupon_RZ_Chrome_Cast_EN.pdf?CMP=RZ-rz-151116

dr_jared88
11-16-2015, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by jwslam
Bump

2 Chromecast for $65 at bestbuy. Can mix/match Chromecast Audio.
Anyone have both Chromecast 2013&2015? Differences?

http://newsletter.bestbuy.ca/2015/promo/11_16/en/1116-Coupon_RZ_Chrome_Cast_EN.pdf?CMP=RZ-rz-151116

I have both and honestly haven't noticed a difference. Both great devices but I wouldn't spend money replacing existing ones unless you have a reason to. In theory the wireless is better in the new one so if you were having connectivity issues or something prior then it might be worth upgrading.

Mitsu3000gt
11-16-2015, 09:58 AM
I've had the new Chromecast since it came out, it's way faster, and there is zero lag when pausing/resuming Netflix because it keeps the video buffered (old Chromecast needs to reload the whole thing to resume). Shows also load in 1-2 seconds. Totally worth the $35, even if you had the old one. Functionality wise they are the same, the new one is just way faster and has better installation options. It supports the AC standard too.

It also is a little round disc that can hang from the cable, or attach onto itself, so if you have a TV where your only HDMI ports are on the edge, or if your TV is really close to the wall, this solves both issues that the old one caused aesthetically.

For how cheap these things are everyone should have one. Lots more apps support it now, and lately I've been using it exclusively for Netflix and NHL Gamecenter with zero issues.

Haven't tried the Chromecast Audio yet but it's literally 10X cheaper than the similar product from Sonos.

jwslam
11-16-2015, 10:06 AM
I've had the new Chromecast since it came out, it's way faster, and there is zero lag when pausing/resuming Netflix because it keeps the video buffered (old Chromecast needs to reload the whole thing to resume).
I wonder if audio lag on VLC is still an issue... that was my main beef with the original and why I'm hesitant on pulling the trigger on 2nd gen. I'm betting it's more app related but I've yet to see any information online about it.

Mitsu3000gt
11-16-2015, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by jwslam

I wonder if audio lag on VLC is still an issue... that was my main beef with the original and why I'm hesitant on pulling the trigger on 2nd gen. I'm betting it's more app related but I've yet to see any information online about it.

Doesn't VLC let you adjust the audio lag? You can on the PC version, not sure about the app. I've never tried casting VLC though so I haven't experienced it.

I hope the VLC app for PC gets Chromcast compatibility - that would be huge. I read it was coming a long time ago, and to my knowledge it's still not out.

BensonTT
11-16-2015, 10:31 AM
Why would you guys want a chromecast when the Amazon Fire stick can do so much more :)?

Edit - I was watching UFC 193 in HI Def via Amazon Fire Stick for free.. My Chromecast cant do that :)

schocker
11-16-2015, 10:55 AM
Why would you guys want a chromecast when the Amazon Fire stick can do so much more :)?

Edit - I was watching UFC 193 in HI Def via Amazon Fire Stick for free.. My Chromecast cant do that :)
Easier to get in Canada and nice to use netflix with the phone casting.

How do you do your sports streaming, sportsdevil via kodi? That is what I use on my FTV and it never works or has poor quality.

TurboMedic
11-16-2015, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by schocker

Easier to get in Canada and nice to use netflix with the phone casting.

How do you do your sports streaming, sportsdevil via kodi? That is what I use on my FTV and it never works or has poor quality.

I'm curious as well. I have never found a consistent NHL stream to use on Kodi. I've tried mashup, phoenix and sportsdevil which I think is broken isn't it?

I don't mind the chromecast, I'm just annoyed by the lack of codec support for it. I get about 50% "oops something went wrong, codec not supported" when playing from my tablet via Kodi>Genesis>Localcast>Chromecast

Mitsu3000gt
11-17-2015, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by TurboMedic

I'm curious as well. I have never found a consistent NHL stream to use on Kodi. I've tried mashup, phoenix and sportsdevil which I think is broken isn't it?

I don't mind the chromecast, I'm just annoyed by the lack of codec support for it. I get about 50% "oops something went wrong, codec not supported" when playing from my tablet via Kodi>Genesis>Localcast>Chromecast

I would think the codec decoding is done on the tablet side. I will have to test again but I'm 99% sure I even had DTS working over Chromecast by casting the screen from VLC or MX player.

TurboMedic
11-19-2015, 05:06 PM

I would think the codec decoding is done on the tablet side. I will have to test again but I'm 99% sure I even had DTS working over Chromecast by casting the screen from VLC or MX player.

I guess yah it could be a localcast issue. I'll have to look into seeing if I can use MX or so instead of LC as the handling app

schocker
11-19-2015, 06:03 PM
I am pretty sure the codec has to be supported by the chromecast as I was having lots of issues with my NAS using the synology apps on certain files. Same files wouldn't play through xbox one either. Had to use WDTV then my firetv. Still need to setup the 4k firetv.