PDA

View Full Version : SSD recomendation

GoChris
03-19-2014, 12:37 PM
My current SSD is giving me corrupt files after every reboot, seems odd. I'm not sure I trust the drive anymore, last night I lost my profile.

I need a ~250GB in size. I was looking at this one, http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX47587 as it seems like a combination of good price and reviews/speed. (Too bad it''s out of stock at the location closest to me).

Thoughts, recomendations?

schocker
03-19-2014, 12:41 PM
I just bought this actually, came today from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.ca/Crucial-2-5-Inch-adapter-Internal-CT480M500SSD1/dp/B00BQ8RHJ2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395254488&sr=8-2&keywords=M500
Tons of good reviews and I thought the price was pretty awesome. The samsung drives are quite good though. I currently have an OCZ 120gb and a Mushkin 240gb and have had no problems with either but was looking for more storage.

Mitsu3000gt
03-19-2014, 12:42 PM
Crucial M500
Crucial M4
Intel 5 or 7 series
Samsung 830/840

I wouldn't buy anything else personally. The speed & reliability combo is paramount with SSD's. Don't cheap out (not that it looks like you are).

GoChris
03-19-2014, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by schocker
I just bought this actually, came today from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.ca/Crucial-2-5-Inch-adapter-Internal-CT480M500SSD1/dp/B00BQ8RHJ2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1395254488&sr=8-2&keywords=M500
Tons of good reviews and I thought the price was pretty awesome. The samsung drives are quite good though. I currently have an OCZ 120gb and a Mushkin 240gb and have had no problems with either but was looking for more storage.

Damn ya that does seem like a great price. I will have to wait a bit for it, but the savings are great. And it's one of the ones Mitsu recommends so win win.
Thanks guys! :thumbsup:

Mitsu3000gt
03-19-2014, 01:30 PM
Shit I didn't see that was the 480GB one, that is a great price - looks like they are on sale everywhere. Too bad Memex doesn't carry that variant of the M500, a price beat would probably save you a bunch more. The higher GB drives also have way better sequential write speeds.

GoChris
03-19-2014, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Shit I didn't see that was the 480GB one, that is a great price. Too bad Memex doesn't carry that variant of the M500, a price beat would probably save you a bunch more. The higher GB drives also have way better sequential write speeds.

Ya for that price I'll upgrade. I did check memex to see about a price match and I could pickup as I need to rebuild my pc, ASAP, but I'll just pay for next day shipping.

Mitsu3000gt
03-19-2014, 01:32 PM
^^ Looks like they are on sale just about everywhere for that price, but it's still a very good deal IMO.

benyl
03-19-2014, 01:32 PM
I would buy local and from memex and get their service plan.

I have had 2 Intel SSDs die on me. One had the service plan, the other didn't.

It is one of the few things I will buy a service plan on.

I also now install in hybrid format. OS on the SSD and profiles on a regular drive, especially My Documents.

GoChris
03-19-2014, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by benyl
I would buy local and from memex and get their service plan.

I have had 2 Intel SSDs die on me. One had the service plan, the other didn't.

It is one of the few things I will buy a service plan on.

I also now install in hybrid format. OS on the SSD and profiles on a regular drive, especially My Documents.

Yes, good point and thanks for reminding me. I just dug up my receipt for this SSD and I did indeed buy IPR from Memex on it as I had an SSD die once before too. Cancelled my order from Amazon because even though that's a good deal on the larger drive, free replacement is much nicer.

What are the requirements to use IPR? Do I need to scan and show it has "bad sectors" or would the fact that my files keep getting corrupted and orphaned be reason enough for replacement? I don't want to wait until it's totally dead, I'll move files off it tonight that I need.

quick_scar
03-19-2014, 02:07 PM
The Samsung 840 EVO drives are where its at. That's my number 1 recommendation to clients right now.

With Samsung, all parts are manufactured in house by them so you know your not getting mismatch parts bin memory chips, etc...

With the Samsung magic program installed and the RAM caching turned on, these drives absolutely fly!!!

I have 5 so far in production environments getting daily use and no issues yet. If our testing continues to go well we are planning on rolling out probably another 50.

Xtrema
03-19-2014, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by GoChris
What are the requirements to use IPR? Do I need to scan and show it has "bad sectors" or would the fact that my files keep getting corrupted and orphaned be reason enough for replacement? I don't want to wait until it's totally dead, I'll move files off it tonight that I need.

IPR means it on files in they system but doesn't hurt to keep your receipt in case record errors.

They do need to confirm it's dead so it will need a tech's time to run diagnostic to confirm it's dead before they hand you a new one.

IPR on my SSD from MemX and it died 1 year in. Still nicer than dealing with manufacturer.

Mitsu3000gt
03-19-2014, 02:40 PM
IPR isn't nearly as good as it used to be, but I agree, still generally better than dealing with the manufacturer. I don't bother with normal HDD's, but I get it on SSD's, MOBOs, Power supplies, and graphics cards.

The biggest issues seem to be that they will repair it if they can, which is not at all "replacement" that the IPR implies. Also, I have seen some very significant discrepancies regarding video cards that no longer are made. I was in the store one day when a guy was arguing because they were trying to IPR his video card with a technically worse one.

phreezee
03-19-2014, 02:41 PM
I've got 2 Samsung 840 EVO's, a 500gb and a 750gb. Both have been great!