PDA

View Full Version : 2013 vs 2014 F1 cars which sounds better?

rx7_turbo2
03-20-2014, 08:44 PM
Sorry if it's a repost.
jS4Dh_EAfJI

Sugarphreak
03-20-2014, 09:45 PM

962 kid
03-20-2014, 10:47 PM
Not the environmentalists - the FIA. Fuel flow limits are low enough that the engines are revving 3000RPM short of the mandated limit of 15000. They're also quite a ways away from being a well-developed/sorted package, so noone is pushing anything too hard yet. As the year progresses I'm sure the cars will become louder.

btimbit
03-20-2014, 10:48 PM
2014 ones sound sweet... but they need loudeners

r3ccOs
03-20-2014, 11:17 PM
outside of the limited displacement... the idea is pretty cool

hybrid motors to assist with torque and to spool the turbo, and subsequently used to reclaim energy, is this not the path of the future?

I know VW has their new 1.4 hybrid turbo... but its nowhere near as complex.

I'm imagining that this technology can be both practical and quickly adopted.

I love all engines, but I do especially like small displacement engines with turbos...
Now leveraging a electric motor to benefit both the turbo and low end torque of a small engine... yet gaining significant efficiencies... now we're talking

On a F1 reving upwards and beyond 20k rpm, I'd much rather it if this was a 2.0L V6 or V8 with the same technology. I just can't see how this engine could ever compete with the previous 2.4, let alone 3.0

CapnCrunch
03-21-2014, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
Sorry if it's a repost.
jS4Dh_EAfJI

I was giggling like a schoolgirl watching the 2013 cars fly past.

rage2
03-21-2014, 07:23 AM
V10's. /thread

CapnCrunch
03-21-2014, 07:33 AM
Google has a bad ass graphic today.

ExtraSlow
03-21-2014, 07:49 AM
People always talk about racing technology transferring to production vehciles. This is great, smaller engines, much closer to those which are at the cutting edge of street technolgoy.

Not sure why racing has to be loud to be exciting.

diamondedge
03-21-2014, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
People always talk about racing technology transferring to production vehciles. This is great, smaller engines, much closer to those which are at the cutting edge of street technolgoy.

Not sure why racing has to be loud to be exciting.

What made the GP exciting was that I could hear the tire squealing on lockup and turn in, scrubbing sounds, all of that + wooshing turbos. What's not to love? Visceral driving, at the limit.

tawheed
03-21-2014, 08:59 AM
Apparently the Melbourne promoter says he could sue for this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/formulaone/10704361/Bernie-Ecclestone-promises-noisier-F1-cars-as-promoter-of-Australian-Grand-Prix-could-sue.html

GTS4tw
03-21-2014, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by diamondedge

What made the GP exciting was that I could hear the tire squealing on lockup and turn in, scrubbing sounds, all of that + wooshing turbos. What's not to love? Visceral driving, at the limit.

This is how I felt. Don't care how loud it is, I care about the speed and skill, both of which are diminishing with all these new rules. Plus that sound is from some shitty cell phone camera, what a great scientific comparison... :banghead: Just because the Db isnt as high doesnt mean they dont actually sound better in person. I love turboz!

rx7_turbo2
03-21-2014, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by GTS4tw

This is how I felt. Don't care how loud it is, I care about the speed and skill, both of which are diminishing with all these new rules. Plus that sound is from some shitty cell phone camera, what a great scientific comparison... :banghead: Just because the Db isnt as high doesnt mean they dont actually sound better in person. I love turboz!

My priorities are similar.

1) Close, competitive racing where the best driver and crew on a given day is most likely to win.
2) A number of teams that are competitive throughout the season so that the winner of the championship comes down to the last race.

Everything else ranks far below those two things. With that said I prefer the sound of the 2013 cars at full chat, it's personal, the turbo sound may grow on me as the season goes on. The recording isn't perfect or "scientific" by any stretch, but I do believe it gives a pretty good comparison, maybe not in db level but in the sound characteristics of both cars.

sidewaysD
03-21-2014, 09:49 AM
Okay the grunting sound when they take off from the pitlane and the turbo spools. OMG..

But when actual racing.. Meh.. BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTT You can now actually hear everything.. the suspension bottoming out, tire squeals on lock ups, you can hear the driver radio clearly.. Which you couldn't hear last season.

Sugarphreak
03-21-2014, 01:39 PM

dirtsniffer
03-21-2014, 01:45 PM
Have to maintain the #1 poster position I guess...

Sugarphreak
03-21-2014, 01:47 PM

ercchry
03-21-2014, 01:49 PM
at least this thread counts towards his actual post count.... thats new for him too :rofl: